#81 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Maybe streaks were not implemented right from the beginning (they should have randomly targeted areas from the start), or maybe they should have had to be aimed and hit the location aimed.

Maybe LRMs could have been done differently, with indirect fire only possible with use of TAG/Narc (this is different from TT, but one could see this kind of implementation)

Maybe there would be much less hate for these weapons then. Having ECM being so effective as to make these weapons so weakened is wrong. How many trial mechs run ECM or Tag? How many have LRMs? Is this a new way to make the new user experience horrible? Remember a stock A1 only has 2 LRM racks.

#82 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostBluten, on 05 December 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

You are so wrong in so many ways, L2P indeed. Btw, Tag=450 range. LRMs are suppose to function a lot further away than that. If I have to be 200-450 meters to use LRMs... I may as well "not" use LRMs. If you were discussing BAP and it put us up to 500 or 600... maybe you'd have a point? But that isn't it at all... Tag is suppose to be used by someone else for the LRM boat, not by the LRM boat himself just to be able to fire the missiles in the first place.

Look not every mech has ECM and not every mech stands under ECM all the time, closing to 450m with lrms is actually often a good move to make tactically speaking without ECM being involved. The range on tag is being extended to 750m, which is absolutely plenty. Now yes if somebody on your team also happens to have tag, or the enemy mech they are looking at does not have ECM (even now with everybody testing it still fairly common to find) you can fire from greater distances or without los...
The real question here is what the hell are you thinking loading up an entire mech dedicated to one weapon and not using the single ton required to VASTLY IMPROVE THE WEAPON IF YOU CAN SEE YOUR TARGET (which, should be a fair amount of the time honestly if you spend the whole match without ever seeing one of your targets then you are doing it wrong, if you happen to win you have just been carried, gz on teammates doing all the work for you). Yes TAG is very very helpful to you if somebody on your team has it, but honestly how can you say that lrm dedicated mechs should not be carrying it just because the enemy has to get close (as in same range as a large laser) for it to be effective...as if things always go to plan and as if you can happily spend the entire fight without seeing a single target.....get carried more, I bet you are one of those people who complain that lrms do not hit light mechs :/

Edit: There are an awful lot of reasons to use lrms within 180-450m (which is fairly large range tbh....) One of them being the dps, with a tag almost all of it goes ct, you will outdamage any other loadout if you have a dedicated lrm loadout and win the brawl every time unless they get within the minimum range (rare unless you let them and/or are completely unsupported against multiple targets) or get you with a headshot (which is easily avoidable especially as you only need brush them with reticle when missiles are about to hit to keep lock and get tag accuracy bonus).

Edited by Wispsy, 05 December 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#83 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostOzric, on 05 December 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Aiming is so easy! Why do some people seem to think pointing and clicking is worthy of so much self praise? Ye gads.

Aiming vs auto lock on and click. Tell me which one is easier / less skilled.

#84 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostBelkor, on 05 December 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

Aiming vs auto lock on and click. Tell me which one is easier / less skilled.

The lock takes time. The missiles take time to get there, and they often slam into a wall or drop target and slam into the ground. It's not really more or less skilled, especially if you look at the damage sheet at the end. People like you seem to think that waiting for the lock and firing is all there is to it... well if I did that, I'd probably never hit anything. The only ezmode to LRMs is when idiots standed out in the middle of a field and let you freely barrage at them. But that was already becoming increasingly rare. Most that are going to play recklessly slot an AMS to make up for it, which further handicapped the weapon's damage potential. Then there's the Assaults, which can basically shrug off the damage dealt by half your entire ammo supply. When they finally died, you'd have few missiles left after that point.

But let me tell you something else, there is NO SKILL, AT ALL, in using an ECM. Just slot it and you get missile immunity beyond 200 meters. It is the fullest example of a 0 skill device. LRMs did take skill, regardless of the amount. ECMs take none at all.

Edited by Bluten, 05 December 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#85 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostObadiah333, on 05 December 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

Sure, since you asked.

streak vs srm 2 boating.

Streak - take 3 seconds to get a lock on a light. Turn away, fire, hit & kill. Jump Jet, fire, hit & kill. Jump jet, turn away, fire, hit & kill. Spin around, target glance him and keep your lock, fire again (if he's still alive) and move on.

srm - line up your shot as the mech runs by, leading him for net code, leading him for lag shield, fire and hope that you hit. dance around while he shoots you in the back and you blow up.

So, no difference in skill required there. The fact that you even posted what you did in seriousness is mind boggling and I think my original post summed it up pretty well. If this response doesn't satisfy you, I don't know what more to say. Either good job for troll baiting me into responding again, or wow! Yep, just wow!

While that was not a reference to my comments about LRM missiles and the different skills required to use them effectively it was at least an example rather then a baseless comment, so I applaud you for that.

Now, in your example, a dreaded Streak Cat is using his lack of skills to 1) Hold his aim on a very fast moving target circling him at close range, and 2) using jump jets to keep that target in his cone of vision to maintain lock. He his then killing that target with his noob lock on weapon, showing he has no skill. Clearly, because 1 and 2 are not at all hard to do any every noob in this game can do it from day one!

In your second example, your skilled SRM cat somehow can't use his jump jets anymore, because the light "shoots you in the back and you blow up". If a light is shooting you in the back it does not matter if you have SRM or SSRM, does it? Oh and of course it requires far more skill to get your cross-hair in front of a moving target for 1 second and pull the trigger then it does to hold it there for 3, and then use jumpjets to keep a lock.

So yes, that was a great example of how bias peoples options are. It's pretty natural to get mad at someone that kills you and want to make an excuse for why they were able to. That does not change the fact that the amount of skill (read; not much) required to hold your mouse cursor over a target on your screen is not different between lockon and non-lockon weapons. The lockon weapons just give you an excuse to call the other player a noob when you get killed by them.

P.S. I never mentioned Streak Cats in my post, as it was not relevant The fact you went there shows you have a bias and grudge because of a specific mech build. I personally think Streak Cats are annoying due to the shake and smoke, no the lock on mechanics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users