Firing Delay

18 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Can someone please explain to me why my ERPPC's have a firing delay?

It's the most difficult weapon to fire with anyway (along with the PPC) but i never know if the weapon will fire 1 or 2 seconds after i press the mouse button.
I just killed a teammate (again :) ) because i fired at an enemy mech with 2 linked ERPPC's and in the 2 seconds it took to fire he walked from behind a building (i didn't know he was there...thanks ECM :lol: ) with his back to me.

Is the delay intentional, or a bug, or what?

#2 Quad Ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

The number of wasted AC/20 rounds I've fired two seconds after clicking is unreal.

EDIT: I should not that my ping is almost never over 100ms, so I could understand a 1/10th of a second delay, but not 20/10ths.

Edited by Quad Ace, 05 December 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#3 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Mine is always about 110ms, and i've used nearly every weapon (but not an AC20) and the PPC/ERPPC's are the only weapons that have a delay for me.
Of course it got worse with the last patch :)

#4 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Never had a firing delay on my PPCs before. Submit this to the support email address.

#5 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

View Postnungunz, on 05 December 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Never had a firing delay on my PPCs before. Submit this to the support email address.

It's a known issue, just rarely commented on.

I just want to know what causes it. Is it lag?

#6 Red1769

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

For me, it's missiles, balistics, and PPCs (ER version too)... all projectiles... I thought it was a known issue... hence why I haven't submitted one. I thought it was lag, but it could simply be system optimization. That is an ongoing thing.

#7 IIIuminaughty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostQuad Ace, on 05 December 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

The number of wasted AC/20 rounds I've fired two seconds after clicking is unreal.

EDIT: I should not that my ping is almost never over 100ms, so I could understand a 1/10th of a second delay, but not 20/10ths.

20/10th lol
I hate math but I just know this is wrong.

On topic. I know my ppcs have firing delays so i just lead

#8 Harleqwin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Sadly we have not gotten that question answered. I too would love to know why lasers fire the instant I click the fire button yet AC's and PPC's have a delay. This has been an issue the whole time I have played the game.

#9 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostRed1769, on 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

...for me, it's missiles...

Catapults have to open the hatch prior to firing it's misiles, this adds some time.
There is a key to do this but I can't say which one cause I remap my controls entirely.
The rest is pure lag, and I hate it, no other serious FPS has this issue.

:) :(

#10 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostStrataDragoon, on 05 December 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

20/10th lol
I hate math but I just know this is wrong.

On topic. I know my ppcs have firing delays so i just lead

20/10ths is 2 seconds...

#11 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

what you see on the client and what actually happens on the server are 2 entirely different things
you do still have to lag lead with lasers to actually hit, just because you see the lasers firing and hitting instantly it doesn't mean that the server registers that you actually hit where and when you think you did (look out for the red circle and the damage map of the target lighting up to confirm an actual hit)

#12 SilverlightPony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

The only time I've had a significant firing delay was the one time I forgot to stop a download before launching, and that was eating up my bandwidth. In normal conditions, I click, I fire, with no noticeable delay.

View PostPurpleNinja, on 12 December 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Catapults have to open the hatch prior to firing it's misiles, this adds some time.
There is a key to do this but I can't say which one cause I remap my controls entirely.

Default is / (slash).

#13 Franchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Locationplaying something else.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

The firing delay on SRM's (even with bay doors open) is so much fun, the really great part is about 305 of the time it decides to fire the missiles where you were aiming when you pulled the trigger instead of at where you are aiming when it finally gets around to firing them.

#14 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

Doesn't the PPC have to do a small charge before it fires? I know it more then likely precharges when out of use, but it still needs to do a slight charge for the actual shot.

As for AC/s. Ever seen a tank load a round or even artilery? Same concept. You can even hear the AC Shell Cases being ejected afterwards.

Edited by MrPenguin, 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#15 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Lack of good client/server side prediction & lag compensation makes the PPC fire between almost within a second and 2-3 seconds..

Edited by Taizan, 12 December 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#16 Kill Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostTaizan, on 12 December 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Lack of good client/server side prediction & lag compensation makes the PPC fire between almost within a second and 2-3 seconds..

yep, I experience this as well.

#17 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostMrPenguin, on 12 December 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

Doesn't the PPC have to do a small charge before it fires? I know it more then likely precharges when out of use, but it still needs to do a slight charge for the actual shot.

As for AC/s. Ever seen a tank load a round or even artilery? Same concept. You can even hear the AC Shell Cases being ejected afterwards.

Aren't the rounds preloaded? (think gun). Fireing should be as fast as firing the lasers. Reload time is the time it takes to eject the shell and load a new one. Not firing delay.

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Basically the game is set up so that the server verifies each shot (hence the firing delay). I would imagine that the higher the ping, the longer the fire delay (because the server verification takes longer).

If you have a higher ping (over 100 ping), you might want to consider using LLasers instead of PPCs.

#19 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

My PING is always <43 and I too experience significant delay between triggering an ER PPCs burst and it actually firing.

Then, of course, the spurt of particles lazily floats off into the distance roughly two mech widths from where I aimed in leading my moving target, and well behind where I intended to fire. If the target is standing still the particle stream will find the area between his side torso and arm, missing him completely.

Then of course my target is unmissable, hugging my face as he pumps round after round into my side, so I give him both ER PPC blasts... and then spend the rest of my suddenly brief life overheated, listning to my armor shatter, and reading his derision in chat.

Yes, I think the ER PPC could stand a little work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users