Fraps Causes My Mwo Client To Ctd.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Whenever i run Fraps, my MWO client crashes. Whenever i don't run Fraps, i rarely ever crash. I'm assuming that it is because it's beta. But i do got a couple questions about this:

1. Where do i report this bug?

2. Until this Fraps issue is fixed, what other programs out there can i used to record my gameplay that doesn't cost several hundred dollars?

3. Anybody know how i can fix this Fraps issue? I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.

#2 DerelictTomcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

I now use Dxtory. Fraps would crash the client at the end of every game for me.

#3 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

I have had 0 issues with FRAPS. I do, however, have a computer some people at NASA would envy.

I wonder if the load between FRAPS and MwO is too much for your PC? Either that or you may have other issues.

#4 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostSen, on 07 December 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

I have had 0 issues with FRAPS. I do, however, have a computer some people at NASA would envy.

I wonder if the load between FRAPS and MwO is too much for your PC? Either that or you may have other issues.

Well, here's my system specs:

CPU: AMD FX8350 8 Core, 4.0GHz(out of the box)
Motherboard: AMD ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 240 pin, 16GB of DDR3 dual channel RAM
GPU: ASUS Radeon 7950, 3GB(overclocked edition)
PSU: 80+Platinum 750watt

CPU Max temp while playing MWO on every available setting maxed out is 55c. Average temp during game is in upper 40's

Average FPS is 40-60fps. Lowest i've seen it since last patch is 30fps during the heat of battle

If for some reason the load between Fraps and Mwo is too much, what exactly do i need to beef up(hardware wise) for my PC to handle the load?

#5 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I set up my Razer Game booster to be my recording tool, but when I accidentally tapped the video macro button on my G13 I insta-killed MW:O. So CTD through recording isn't unique to Fraps.

#6 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Mr. Death:

the crucial question becomes:

Does it C2D when FRAPS is LOADED, or when FRAPS is RECORDING.

If it's doing it when loaded, but not recording, I would suspect a software issue SOMEWHERE [driver, some piece of software. . . ] Vulp, if you're reading this, any thoughts or additional insights?

If it's doing this when RECORDING:

Are you recording to the same drive that MwO is installed on? Is it a standard Hard drive [as opposed to an SSD]

If you're running the game from a standard 5400/7200 HDD and trying to record data at the same time to the same drive, I can easily imagine problems arising. I don't know if I'd expect it to C2D, but the MwO client isn't exactly the epitome of stable. *I* have 0 issues, but I have MwO installed on an SSD, and Fraps set to record to a 2TB 7200 RPM drive.

I'm sure someone will come along and say "it never caused ME any problems", but I can't help thinking that's a lot of work to put on a drive all at once.

Outside of that, make sure you disable indexing in windows

http://www.mydigital...-in-windows-xp/

and make sure to run disk cleanup, defrag, and just for giggles do a quick Antivirus scan. I'd also recommend downloading/running spybot - Search and Destroy, as well as Malwarebytes anti malware, and running both of those. . JUST to be on the safe side.

These are both freeware programs, so if anything tries to charge you for them it's the wrong page. Also, if you decide to install them, make sure you pay attention to check boxes during install.

#7 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Problem solved! I posted this question on NGNG's facebook page as well because i heard somewhere that they use Fraps to record the tutorial videos that they've been making for PGI.

Phil explained to me a workaround that has been working GREAT all night:

Step One: boot up Fraps(run as admin)

Step Two: If i want to record my time spent in Mech Lab, then feel free to press the record button.

Step Three: When everybody in group is ready to start the match, STOP RECORDING before you click on ready.

Step Four: When you connect to the match(me, personally i wait for the countdown just to be safe) and THEN press the record button

Step Five: When the match is over and the scores are being displayed, stop recording BEFORE you click on "exit match".

As long as i followed this procedure laid out by Phil, i haven't CTD'd once today. Only time i had to restart my client was due to a mechlab bug and due to the yellow screen bug which has NOTHING to do with Fraps.

Hopes this helps anybody else out there having the same issue in the future.

@ Sen, yeah i have all those programs except Spybot. Haven't used that since my last PC. I'll download that one again. Thanks for the help, all! ;)

#8 Fluff My Garfield

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostXxDRxDEATHxX, on 08 December 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Problem solved! I posted this question on NGNG's facebook page as well because i heard somewhere that they use Fraps to record the tutorial videos that they've been making for PGI.

Phil explained to me a workaround that has been working GREAT all night:

Step One: boot up Fraps(run as admin)

Step Two: If i want to record my time spent in Mech Lab, then feel free to press the record button.

Step Three: When everybody in group is ready to start the match, STOP RECORDING before you click on ready.

Step Four: When you connect to the match(me, personally i wait for the countdown just to be safe) and THEN press the record button

Step Five: When the match is over and the scores are being displayed, stop recording BEFORE you click on "exit match".

As long as i followed this procedure laid out by Phil, i haven't CTD'd once today. Only time i had to restart my client was due to a mechlab bug and due to the yellow screen bug which has NOTHING to do with Fraps.

Hopes this helps anybody else out there having the same issue in the future.

@ Sen, yeah i have all those programs except Spybot. Haven't used that since my last PC. I'll download that one again. Thanks for the help, all! Posted Image

Fixed it for me! One thing of note, however, is that it also crashes when, after dying in a match, I try to spectate other players without stopping the recording. I can, however, move between players once I start spectating the first one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users