Laptop Suggestions Please...

28 replies to this topic

#21 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, always prioritize things you can't upgrade later ;)

#22 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostRogue Runner 7, on 12 December 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Is SSD then affordable if so whats it for and what size?

The best way to get into an SSD is go for a smaller one as your OS drive, OS plus room for a few other apps and or high played games. 80-240GB depending on budget. Then have a second internal or external mechanical drive 250GB-4TB available for storage and less used apps, again, your 2nd drive size will depend on budget.

The actual price on the SSD will of course be determined by the laptop vendor you go with. However, as I've said before, even the slowest SSD completely wipes the floor with a mechanical drive.

If you wish to see how different SSDs stack up against each other then here is a chart to look at: http://www.tomshardw...ark,3269-6.html

If you go through the whole article you can get a good feel for what kind of performance per price you should be looking at. Sorry the site is in dollars and not pounds : http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3269.html

View PostCatamount, on 12 December 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

Yeah, always prioritize things you can't upgrade later ;)

Catamount is absolutely correct on this one. As time goes by those will be the limiting factor to keeping your laptop up to date and relevant. One think to consider with laptops though is that not many of them are upgrade friendly, some companies will void the warranty the minute you open up certain access panels or don't use components sold directly through them.

Either way let us know how you decide your build. If you have any questions on specific components or technologies then we're all here to help.

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 12 December 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#23 Rogue Runner 7

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationLancashire, UK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Thanks again guys.
@Catamount Usage will pretty much be for gaming/ web surfing etc.Think the term is desktop replacement but in my case its not replacing anything lol.It doesnt have to be too portable as i will only theoretically be moving it from one room to another. If i could fit a desktop into my life i would but as said before i just cant. The 17" is just a preference (bigger is better? maybe) for my failing eyesight.
The heat problem you warn of worries me. Looking at the offerings so far i presume the ones with bigger ventilation would be the ones to choose and as soon as possible invest in one of those cooler trays for it to sit on?
Any ways thanks again, will keep browsing till the budget fattens or if any offers appear in january...Are January sales a myth? i dont know but well see.

#24 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you're just moving it around rooms, then definitely go for 17". And if you're getting a 17" machine, you don't have to worry about heat as much; it's really the smaller machines that try to cram too much in that have heat problems. If you want you can get one of the little USB powered cooling pads, but in my experience, they don't really do much as long as your laptop is already on a smooth, flat surface

#25 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostBad Karma 308, on 12 December 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

The best way to get into an SSD is go for a smaller one as your OS drive, OS plus room for a few other apps and or high played games. 80-240GB depending on budget. Then have a second internal or external mechanical drive 250GB-4TB available for storage and less used apps, again, your 2nd drive size will depend on budget.

The actual price on the SSD will of course be determined by the laptop vendor you go with. However, as I've said before, even the slowest SSD completely wipes the floor with a mechanical drive.

If you wish to see how different SSDs stack up against each other then here is a chart to look at: http://www.tomshardw...ark,3269-6.html

If you go through the whole article you can get a good feel for what kind of performance per price you should be looking at. Sorry the site is in dollars and not pounds : http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3269.html

Catamount is absolutely correct on this one. As time goes by those will be the limiting factor to keeping your laptop up to date and relevant. One think to consider with laptops though is that not many of them are upgrade friendly, some companies will void the warranty the minute you open up certain access panels or don't use components sold directly through them.

Either way let us know how you decide your build. If you have any questions on specific components or technologies then we're all here to help.

I'm going to have to disagree with Tomshardware here for SSDs. (actually I disagree with them quite often, but that's besides the point) Especially given that Samsung's 840/pro line have come out just recently, which the pros are the fastest and most reliable SSDs currently on the market, with a 5 year warranty, and the non-pro variants are great deals in terms of $$$/GB, as well as being quite fast and use the same controller.

As far as cooling pads go, my coolermaster SF-19 did well (before it fell apart) though i've found that tilting my vents on my laptop up 30 degrees is better for temperatures than anything.

#26 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Sometimes i just don't think you bother to read a thread completely before you post, scratch that, make it "usually". The guy is asking about the possibility of shoehorning an SSD into his already tight laptop budget. Initially he wasn't even sure he wanted one. Yet here you come, again, with your out of context solutions. It seems to fit a trending pattern in a lot of your posts.

Samsung's 840 & pro lines are some of the best single SSD performance solution. Right now their 128Gb model can be had economically for around $100. But for a guy on something of a budget he can save a bit of cash for just under the same levels of performance. He could even pick up on of last years models that are being liquidated from inventory for an even better deal. Most people will not be able to notice the microsecond differences in performance between one SSD and the next. You want to start talking about multilevel queuing under server application load, then maybe.

You can disagree with Tom's all you like, it still doesn't stop them from being one of the most well respected hardware testers in the field. If I'm trying to explain something to a generally non-tech savvy client I generally use Tom's because they have a knack for putting things into layman's terms. it is a 90% solution to getting the point across.

#27 Rogue Runner 7

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationLancashire, UK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

Hey guys, all the replies are much appreciated as your pretty much doing my searching for me lol. Thx. But plz dont be criticising each others choices (no bad karma man! peace and tanquility) After all im here to learn about the stuff to put in to my system But im also here to find the best i can get. Everyones right and all answers are useful even if the final suggestion was for example

"If you aint got £3000 to spend on a gaming laptop dont bother! go buy an xbox!"

Thanks again.
p.s. i dont want an xbox so Dont recommend it :P

#28 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostRogue Runner 7, on 11 December 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

Hello all,
This looks like the place for advice (as i know zilch) about computers and cpus and gpus etc,etc. Now i do know that i could build a good desktop system for my budget after reading possibly every recommendation thread in here...lol but as i dont have the space and am only a casual gamer i thought id ask for your recommendations.

OK...budget £600-£700
prefer a 17" screen if poss, no desire for SSD and would like the best performance i can get.
Im from the UK
Simples!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions(unless they are derogatory or insulting)

was in the same boat... i went for this

http://www.amazon.co...56900209&sr=1-1

i7 QUAD, 6gb ram upgradable to 16gb and a 2gb 7670m (runs BF3 in ULTRA mode comfortably)

not had a chance to play on mech with it yet but for 625 pound find another laptop with that spec!

#29 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

alos with Toshiba you know what your getting re warranty/returns/customer services where as custom builds are an unknown quantity and vary largely with suppliers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users