Make First Mech Purchase 50% Off

5 replies to this topic

#1 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I already have my 4H Elited, but a lot of people quit the game before ever really getting to experience picking a mech and creating a build, arguably the most important part of it.

You have to grind about 5-7 hours to get a decent first medium mech, so why not just reduce the cost of the first purchase? Let players know that their first mech is 50% off, and only their first mech. They'll play the game and they'll see the customization involved.

I guarantee more people will stay instead of dropping MW: O to play Hawken.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

I... actually agree with this. The fun of Mechwarrior is largely set in having your own machine that you can customize. A 50% off for first mech would be nice. Alternatively, a starter Medium mech like a Hunchback or Centurion already in their hanger could be nice as well.

#3 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

They are going to do pretty much what you are suggesting:

"...Speaking of imaginary mechmoney, Piranha is also aiming to make MWO more new player-friendly by upping the rate of C-bill gain for players’ first 25 matches. This “Cadet Bonus” should allow players to buy their first mech in about half the time it currently takes..."

Full article.

#4 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Completely ignores the real issues with new user experience and still instigates a bit of a grind. fail.

#5 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 15 December 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Completely ignores the real issues with new user experience and still instigates a bit of a grind. fail.

Sorry, F2P games usually use "spend time or spend cash" business model, and don't cater to instant gratification crowd.

#6 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 15 December 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

However, it's a relatively simple solution that reduces the largest hurdle in any new player's career: getting their first mech with nothing but inferior stock models to play beforehand. I still remember my days in the stock Raven 2X, and I do so with a shudder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users