#1 Rawnblaed

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

I recently purchased three variants of the HBK chassis in the Hunchback sale with the money I got from my new recruit bonuses.. The HBK-4G is fully basiced and I am going to work on my 4J now. I have looked at some forum posts about 4J builds and it seems they all assume you have them elited/mastered and have modules and are willing to use/buy an xl engine for an IS mech. I obviously don't have modules yet. So I want to know some build suggestions for a newbie 4J pilot that doesn't have a ton of c-bills lying around to buy an xl engine. Should I just stick with a stock build for now? I would like to play with a lrmboat build as this seems to be a very good lrm platform. I do own a Std 250 engine, but no others other than the stock STD 200. I do also own the HBK-4SP as well as 3 shadowcat variants, 3 ebon jaguar variants and 3 arctic cheetah variants. So I could pull engines from them if I wanted to go with an xl engine (270 or 240).
What about HBK-4j xl270 lrm boat
Comments on this would be welcome as well as any others.

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

Unfortunately the clan mechs have their engines hardwired so you can't swap them out like you would with IS mechs.

For now your best bet is probably to stick with the stock 200 engine. You don't need as much speed on the 4J (though it still is nice to have) since your weapons have reach and you should be moving with the pack and firing at whatever you can hold a lock-on.

For now, I'd recommend something like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b6f44c552ee2145

Eventually you could upgrade to your originally proposed build.

#3 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

Buckle up, because I'm going to take you for a wild ride! Missile 4Js are boring we were in the Inner Sphere hates boring. That's for the Clans and Liao to deal with. But you wanna know what's awesome? Wubs. Wubs are what's awesome and make the world go round. The drunken and totally-not-insane Inner Sphere mech techs present: The Hunchback-4J: The Wubbenning!

Posted Image

Make your enemy go 'BOOM!' in style! Three LPLs reinforced by hunch toughness quirks and enough speed to dictate butt kicking distances, too!

Edited by Airmanator, 05 August 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#4 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

If you like LRMs, go with this: HBK-4J.

#5 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

I would go for this instead

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c9e893b82c32503

#6 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Personally, I'd pick either lasers OR lrms and go all in.

And don't waste money on xl170, shave 8 points off each leg and move up to xl175.

I like 2 lrm10's and a quartet of med lasers in the torso/head. You can also go swayback style and not use any missiles - really very effective that way.

#7 Rawnblaed

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostAirmanator, on 05 August 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Buckle up, because I'm going to take you for a wild ride! Missile 4Js are boring we were in the Inner Sphere hates boring. That's for the Clans and Liao to deal with. But you wanna know what's awesome? Wubs. Wubs are what's awesome and make the world go round. The drunken and totally-not-insane Inner Sphere mech techs present: The Hunchback-4J: The Wubbenning!

Posted Image

Make your enemy go 'BOOM!' in style! Three LPLs reinforced by hunch toughness quirks and enough speed to dictate butt kicking distances, too!

Yes. I ran across this in the forums. HBK-4J LPLx3
However, it still has an xl in it. I will have to see how it works with std and xl and see what I like with wub.

View PostTheLuc, on 05 August 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

I would go for this instead

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c9e893b82c32503

Added to smurfy mech bay for consideration. ty.

#8 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostRawnblaed, on 05 August 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yes. I ran across this in the forums. HBK-4J LPLx3
However, it still has an xl in it. I will have to see how it works with std and xl and see what I like with wub.

Added to smurfy mech bay for consideration. ty.

The objective of an XL is to roll your damage and generally kill the other guy before he kills you!

#9 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

I used a HBK-4J like that. It got way higher performance than any of my other HBKs, fire over obstacles at mid range with the LRMs and when in sight of the enemy fire off the 6 MLs. Shield with your left side which has only 1 ML in the arm.

#10 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

I personally would not go for LRM boats, especially on the 4, even if they do seem geared up to be like that.
The armaments I have on my 4J (my favourite 'Mech that I use and own currently) are 2x ER large lasers, 1x large laser, an AMS system, XL 275 engine (which makes it an incredibly fast 'Mech to pilot) and 1x LRM 10 (artemis controlled). Discounting the artillery and UAV also equipped, I have found the 4J is perfect for a set-up like that, for me at least, because it means it is both a long range fire support 'Mech and also an excellent brawler for when I run out of missiles.

#11 Jason Red Death

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

If you want to run a LRM-mech in a world full of ECMs, do not forget to bring your own beagle active probe and TAG. 4 M-Lasers help against the light hunters, because for sure they will come for you. By the way one of my most successfull mechs. If I go LRM then in this mech!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c961c88c66c9b19

#12 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 05 August 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

I personally would not go for LRM boats, especially on the 4, even if they do seem geared up to be like that.

The 4J is probably the best LRM boat in the game right now and it performs amazingly (surprisingly) well. Two LRM10's get quirks for double the rate of fire and they're practically CT-seeking. It's good, man. If you run something different on this mech, you're just hurting yourself.

#13 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostRawnblaed, on 05 August 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

I recently purchased three variants of the HBK chassis in the Hunchback sale with the money I got from my new recruit bonuses.. The HBK-4G is fully basiced and I am going to work on my 4J now. I have looked at some forum posts about 4J builds and it seems they all assume you have them elited/mastered and have modules and are willing to use/buy an xl engine for an IS mech. I obviously don't have modules yet. So I want to know some build suggestions for a newbie 4J pilot that doesn't have a ton of c-bills lying around to buy an xl engine. Should I just stick with a stock build for now? I would like to play with a lrmboat build as this seems to be a very good lrm platform. I do own a Std 250 engine, but no others other than the stock STD 200. I do also own the HBK-4SP as well as 3 shadowcat variants, 3 ebon jaguar variants and 3 arctic cheetah variants. So I could pull engines from them if I wanted to go with an xl engine (270 or 240).
What about HBK-4j xl270 lrm boat
Comments on this would be welcome as well as any others.

HBK-4J
Keeping it as stock as possible to save cbills, but still have to upgrade to Double Heat Sink to keep heat manageable.

4 ton of ammo might seem like alot at first, but the missile quirks on the 4J lets you chew through them in minutes, as long as there isn't multiple enemy ECM on the field. 720 missiles let you fire 36 shots if you group fire your LRM10s, or 72 shots if you chain fire them.

4 Medium Lasers are your backup weapon when you are out of ammo, or block by ECM from using LRM. The hard points are tightly packed which give you good convergence. Lack of ML in the arm however means you will have some problem shooting someone on a higher ledge than you, particularly on HPG and Canyon map, also you can't shot down pesky UAVs.

The stock STD 200 let you cruise at 64kph, the common speed of assault mechs. So match your speed with their and move together, you just focus on shooting whatever they are shooting at. Rock the target with LRM whenever you can to blind them with explosion effect on their screen, this will help your assault buddy survive abit longer.

#14 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

I like xengk's as a nice one.

Sets you up to bridge first to Endosteel + more ammo as one upgrade. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0dc412517161df3

Next step would be an XL255 and LRM10+A.

That thing is like a machine gun with the LRMs.

#15 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Another version of the Hunchless Hunchwub. Now with arm weapons!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users