Obvious Fail Is Fail

49 replies to this topic

#1 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

So just out of curiosity, I put SEVEN flamers on my Awesome, and 40 heatstinks. I proceeded to unload all my flamers on several enemies and guess what?

I OVERHEATED BEFORE THEY DID. THEY ARE ON THE RECEIVING END OF GIANT FLAMETHROWERS AND I OVERHEAT AND THEY DON'T.

OMMGGGGGGG!!!!

So just exactly HOW does this make any sense? (excluding the fact that 7 flamers is obviously not supposed to be viable). How can I overheat with 40 heatsinks and the enemy doesn't.

#2 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Flamers are awful, don't use them.

#3 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I don't even understand why they are in the game. They are 100% useless.

#4 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 14 December 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

I knew they were bad, but I figured "okay, 7 flamers, lets see if I can get someone to overheat". I wouldn't be too sad if it was just that I failed to overheat someone.... but I OVERHEATED! That's just SO fail, haha.

#5 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

they can be usefull on a ppc boat to keep foes at distance.
It is mainly a psychological effect (OMFG FLAMES!!!1!! RUN !!1!) but it works from time to time.

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 14 December 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#6 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 14 December 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

I was going to point out how unhelpful this post was and then I realized he's somewhat correct. I assume OP that you didn't realize that Flamers have been identified as non viable by the dev team and is currently (or will soon) be going under review...if you already knew about this fact, why in the hell would you test something that you know is broken?

#7 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostCorpsecandle, on 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

I was going to point out how unhelpful this post was and then I realized he's somewhat correct. I assume OP that you didn't realize that Flamers have been identified as non viable by the dev team and is currently (or will soon) be going under review...if you already knew about this fact, why in the hell would you test something that you know is broken?

My goal was just to see what I could accomplish by "boating" flamers. I accomplished overheating myself. lol.

#8 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

View PostCorpsecandle, on 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

so that he could come on the forum and post up a thread with "fail" in the title multiple times?

#9 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Weapon Balancing <- Paul said in one of his posts there...

Flamers... who hates flamers? I hate flamers... the engineering behind this needs to be reworked to get them to a place where I'm happy with their performance. Again, working with the programmers to get this working and will update when I can.

They're working on them even now... think from the beginning they've not been effective at all so hopefully they'll get to the point where they are a viable weapon... just have to wait and be patient...

#10 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Flamers are not flamethrowers- that would mean there is a heat source at the end of the barrel that ignites a flammable liquid or gas. If that were the case you shouldn't overheat your own mech. Flamers vent plasma from the reactor and spew it upon your target, either mechs or trees or infantry or whatever. If you have superheated plasma being ducted throughout your Mech, it's gonna get hot. Multiply that by 7 and you get cooked in your own juices.

Useful? Not at the moment, but it is being looked at.

Edited by ThinkTank, 14 December 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#11 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 14 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

My goal was just to see what I could accomplish by "boating" flamers. I accomplished overheating myself. lol.

no ammo explosions FTW!!!

flamers are as useful as having an ******* right here *points anywhere on my body*

#12 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 14 December 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

I knew they were bad, but I figured "okay, 7 flamers, lets see if I can get someone to overheat". I wouldn't be too sad if it was just that I failed to overheat someone.... but I OVERHEATED! That's just SO fail, haha.

Even on TT flamers were almost useless.
If we just could set trees on fire or melt the ice in Frozen City...

:P :ph34r:

#13 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostStickjock, on 14 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Weapon Balancing <- Paul said in one of his posts there...

They're working on them even now... think from the beginning they've not been effective at all so hopefully they'll get to the point where they are a viable weapon... just have to wait and be patient...

Well that's good... I'm not upset or anything, the whole thing was a joke. I was with a few buddies and came up with the idea and thought I'd try it. I just am shocked at how bad it ended up. They overheat ME more than the enemy lol.

#14 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Flamers were never intended to be able to reliably overheat someone. You can slow their rate of fire and you can keep them from cooling off, but being able to actually shut down someone's mech without them firing high heat weapons would be OP in a big way. Whether or not it works for it's intended purpose right now I'm not sure, they are due a balance pass, but they shouldn't be viable as a primary weapon system.

#15 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Flamers, apart from the overheating aspect on mechs (which doesn't work), I think are more like the MG's...more anti-infantry / anti-technical weapons.

#16 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I believe adding more flamers does not increase the heat generated in the opposing mech? So you are generating heat on seven but the are effected by the same amount as if you were flaming them with 1?

#17 byteu2

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

The best use I have seen of the flamer, is to obscure your opponent's vision. Make it hard for them to see what they're shooting at. Particularly in an ECM bubble, where you can't press "R".

#18 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Flamers are on the to-buff list: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1591483

#19 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostWarrax the Chaos Warrior, on 14 December 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Flamers were never intended to be able to reliably overheat someone. You can slow their rate of fire and you can keep them from cooling off, but being able to actually shut down someone's mech without them firing high heat weapons would be OP in a big way. Whether or not it works for it's intended purpose right now I'm not sure, they are due a balance pass, but they shouldn't be viable as a primary weapon system.

Yeah and that makes sense, because somebody sporting a few and overheating enemies would be lame. I wasn't sure I'd accomplish overheating an enemy... but I didn't expect it to backfire so bad and overheat me :P

#20 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Perhaps your techs mistakenly installed them backwards?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users