• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostKhobai, on 14 December 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

MC cost is ABSURD in MWO.

Look at Hawken...

1) In Hawken all the meteor credit packages cost the same rate of $1 per 72 MC. There isn't an absurd price jackup in the smaller MC packages like there is in MWO.

2) In Hawken you can buy any mech for 720 MC which is $10. They dont charge you an absurd $21 for Mechs like MWO.

the reality is that PGI is charging way too much compared to other free to play games.

only time, their balance sheets, and a dwindling player base will show them the truth.

Edited by Penance, 14 December 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#22 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

The sad thing is I want to buy MC... but I dont want to spend $50+. And the $50+ MC packages are the ONLY packages where MC is reasonably costed. So the end result is im just not gonna spend any $ at all. In fact im more inclined to spend money on Hawken, which is a much worse game by the way, but at least I don't feel slighted by their pricing.

The whole point of MICROTRANSACTION is that you should be able to spend $10-$20 on a game... and not have to feel like you're wasting your money.

Edited by Khobai, 14 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#23 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostTyGeR STD, on 14 December 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

IMO, I think PGI should do one of 2 things

Tell it to the publisher, IGP. They're setting the price points. PGI is the developer.

#24 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Tell it to the publisher, IGP. They're setting the price points. PGI is the developer.

Im not so sure about that. Because their prices are EXACTLY the same as World of Tanks. EXACTLY. Even the cost of premium is EXACTLY the same as WoT.

Basically they just took WoT's pricing model and applied it to their game... which was a terrible idea :\

#25 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Personally I save all my MC for mech bays at 300 a piece, those are worth the most value in the long run. Grinding mechs is easy at the light/medium level as long as your not maxxing out each mech with XL engines, DHS, Endo, FF, and Artemis. Lights I usually Endo is the only requirement, the rest is all dependent on how much I want to keep the mech.

-S

#26 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostKhobai, on 14 December 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

2) In Hawken you can buy any mech for 720 MC which is $10. They dont charge you an absurd $21 for Mechs like MWO.

the reality is that PGI is charging way too much compared to other free to play games.

While I agree $30 might be too much for a mech, that's a bad example using Hawken because they don't really have as much a concept the difference between a light mech and assault mech as you have in MWO. What I'm saying is by all rights someone could choose to be a dedicated commando pilot and only ever spend a few bucks on the game. That's not a bad deal.

Ultimately they have statistics on how many purchases people are making and can decide if things need to be lowered. One man's $20 is another man's $5.

#27 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostDane Dread, on 14 December 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

The problem for me is premium times flies in the face of what makes MWO attractive. I like that this game is respectful of my time. If I have 20 minutes I know I can play a match and then go away. It won't drag out into an epic 90 minute affair like some other FTP games. If I have an hour I can sit down and play 5 or 6 matches typically. And that's about the most I can play in one sitting.

If I'm busy or another game catches my attention, I can disappear for a week or two and then come back and not feel like I just threw away some subscription time. I don't feel like paying to create an enticement to play more and more and log in more often.

The whole concept of boosts in games is something I'm not very fond of. It's encouraging people to play in an unhealthy fasion. Far better to sit down and play 20 - 30 minutes and go do something else than sit and grind out hours and hours of matches because your on premium time and want to make the most of it.

I will of course take advantage of a free day of premium time just to see what I'm missing. Seems like it should be good for several 100,000s extra cbills if I can get 4 or 5 matches in that day. Thanks for the link.

Your welcome! During the week I am lucky to get 1-2 hours total play time, but on the weekends I will try to set aside a few hours just for gaming....maybe 6-8 hours a week? So from my perspective paying $10 a month or less to make the most out of the 24-32 hours a month of game time makes perfect sense.....I really can not think of anything else that gives me that kind of hour / entertainment / value.

I totally understand where you are coming from though, this is my first F2P game. It has been difficult to adapt, if not for the Mechwarrior branding I would not have even tried it.

Edited by Pendraco, 14 December 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#28 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

While I agree $30 might be too much for a mech, that's a bad example using Hawken because they don't really have as much a concept the difference between a light mech and assault mech as you have in MWO. What I'm saying is by all rights someone could choose to be a dedicated commando pilot and only ever spend a few bucks on the game. That's not a bad deal.

Uh the concept is exactly the same. Youre paying to own a vehicle that you can pilot in the game.

And a Raven-3L for example is way more powerful than an Atlas-K right now, so setting the MC price of an Atlas-K at almost three times the cost of a Raven-3L is ridiculous. At most a mech should cost $10 and maybe $15 for a hero mech.

Edited by Khobai, 14 December 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#29 Max Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationThe real dairy state

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostKhobai, on 14 December 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

Uh the concept is exactly the same. Youre paying to own a vehicle that you can pilot in the game.

And a Raven-3L for example is way more powerful than an Atlas-K right now, so setting the MC price of an Atlas-K at almost three times the cost of a Raven-3L is ridiculous. At most a mech should cost $10 and maybe $15 for a hero mech.

^Exactly. to go little further

$3-Light mechs

$5-Mediums

$7-Heavies

$10- Assualts

Slap $5 on to any class for a hero mech. And paint really needs to permenant............

Edited by Max Grayson, 14 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#30 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I've said this before, but I still think it would be a clean pricing model to have the mechs in MW:O cost the same as their pewter counterparts, with a little bump in price for a hero mech. I also think that they should be interested in helping keep the entirety of the Battletech/Mechwarrior community strong by giving you gift cards to Iron Wind Metals if you buy a certain amount of MC, like a $10 gift card for $50 in MC. Likewise IW could give out 300MC if you buy a mech or something. I know that part isn't the most realistic idea because there would be lots of inter-company contracts to draw up, but it'd be damned cool imo if they did. I mean hell, I haven't bought a pewter Battletech mini in years.

This link is to Iron Wind's website
so you can see the kinds of prices I'm talking about here. $11.40 for a Stalker, $8.25 for a Raven, $11.80 for a standard Atlas to $14.50 for an Atlas II so that should give an idea for hero mech to standard mech comparisons. Anyway, I just like to give people fair warning when I post a link that moves away from the website.

#31 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostMax Grayson, on 14 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

I play video games to relax (Relax :: to seek rest or recreation) not to "earn" things. again i think we disagree on what should be "earned". For example-I earn money at work. I expect relaxtion when playing a video game

Also, not complaing about MC costs. I just believe that PGI would make more selling MC's at a lower price point. More people would buy MC's, PGI recieves more money then they do currently and hopefully with more money PGI will fix the netcode faster

everyone wins.............

to acquire as the result of action

every single game you play requires action in order to acquire points / skills / unlocks / weapons

this game, just like many others, requires you to play the game in order to advance or unlock other parts of it... some of these advances or unlocks can be skipped by using real money (which you already have done, proably far more than many other players will ever do on this game)

you keep telling me what *I* meant by what *I* wrote, which is not what I said or what I intended to say
we can agree to disagree on the basis that you don't understand the meaning of a basic english word

#32 TyGeR STD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 245 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

bump

#33 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Also, not complaing about MC costs. I just believe that PGI would make more selling MC's at a lower price point.

Yeah they would make a ton more if they sold all the MC packages at the same dollar:MC ratio.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users