• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

nobody has fun capping. that's just another form of farming money which is pretty tedious and time consuming. it's like mining on eve, the only actual people mining are the ones who are doing it with an alternate account with the game minimized in the background except you don't even get that luxury in farming on a game like this

I disagree. I was in a group that did nothing but base rush for two hours. We had lots of fights cause the enemy (surprisingly) returned to defend their base, and then was either defeated or kicked our buts. but I guess your team failed to respond to the silky voice telling you "Base is being captured". Don't hate the thinker. By capping your base if you aren't defending it, You have to rush back to get your fight. BUT if you don't rally and attack en mass The Capper kills you in pieces. Don't blame the enemy for your failure to think tactically.

to everyone saying stay at the base or wondering why leave it at all..... that's not exactly a very defendable position. you push out of the base to gain a better leverage on the enemy team.
Funny, we had no problem defending the enemy base from them most times!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 December 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#22 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

YOU know the answer, *I* know the answer, everyone HERE knows the answer. . and it has nothing to do with light mechs, ECM, netcode, or pugs. The person that controls how it works is attached to the keyboard. If you choose to pug, you run this risk. If you choose to pilot a huge stompy 'mech that can't get back to base and hold for at least a minute, that's your decision.

And before you start with the "Groups suck/don't have time/antisocial" shtick, I have two friends that play this game. TWO. Sometimes we're all on at the same time, sometimes we're not, but never seem to have a problem filling up spare slots on the comstar NA forums. Heck, I've met a lot of really good players just from a random pop in "hey, you need a 4th?"

Yea, it sounds a bit harsh, but you need to be honest about it. You have a huge amount of control over your user experience. If you choose to make it miserable, don't come around complainin'! Get busy gamin', or get busy with a paperback and a bottle of wine ^^

#23 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Pure Deathmatch is boring and stupid. I do hope it's added to the game types however so I can stop seeing these sort of threads.

I have plenty of fun capping if it's a pug that's been organized in chat it can be a blast.

i wonder why 'mechs have weapons. could they have been made to......

.....SHOOT OTHER MECHS ?

DUN
DUN
DUUUUUUUUUUUN

#24 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

You have two objectives on the mission, capture enemy base and protect your base.
You failed both.

:P :ph34r:

#25 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

to everyone saying stay at the base or wondering why leave it at all..... that's not exactly a very defendable position. you push out of the base to gain a better leverage on the enemy team.

you can have a tactical battlefield combat experience without bases. there are other maneuvers besides rushing out head to head or are you the type that doesn't believe in flanking or sniping

You can do all of these things and more without leaving your base wide open. Just like any other tactical battlefield.

#26 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostShalune, on 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

It is a mech warfare game, not strictly a mech combat game. In war there are objectives. Fighting and killing play a large role, but they are the tools to accomplish another goal. The only mode in game presently is a capture/defend mode. There is no team deathmatch, there may never be.

If there's any doubt about the goal of this game I'd refer you to the 'about the game' page:
"How does gameplay work?
MechWarrior Online puts MechWarriors into a first-person, team-based, tactical battlefield"

Yea, there may never be TDM, no matter how much ppl scream for it. If thats the case, there are other games that are more like mechwarrior than this game to play.

First person - yea... not anymore!
team based - sure if you count being dropped randoming with people a team
tactical battlefield - Nope, they still havent nailed that yet. And they wont until they add in custom premade TDM with tonnage limits.

@ OP - Yea this pathetic capture the base thing is garbage. Playing it is little better than mechassault for the XBOX

Oh yes, and the fanboi's will all say .. RAH RAH RAH DEFEND YOUR BASE NUBS

This game is not mechwarrior. Not yet it isnt,.

Edited by Teralitha, 14 December 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#27 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 14 December 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

i wonder why 'mechs have weapons. could they have been made to......

.....SHOOT OTHER MECHS ?

If you have to, yes. but then you have those players who cry cause it's to expensive to repair my Mechs. So accept there is two (at least two) ways to play the game and you will all sleep better at night.

View PostSen, on 14 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

YOU know the answer, *I* know the answer, everyone HERE knows the answer. . and it has nothing to do with light mechs, ECM, netcode, or pugs. The person that controls how it works is attached to the keyboard. If you choose to pug, you run this risk. If you choose to pilot a huge stompy 'mech that can't get back to base and hold for at least a minute, that's your decision.

And before you start with the "Groups suck/don't have time/antisocial" shtick, I have two friends that play this game. TWO. Sometimes we're all on at the same time, sometimes we're not, but never seem to have a problem filling up spare slots on the comstar NA forums. Heck, I've met a lot of really good players just from a random pop in "hey, you need a 4th?"

Yea, it sounds a bit harsh, but you need to be honest about it. You have a huge amount of control over your user experience. If you choose to make it miserable, don't come around complainin'! Get busy gamin', or get busy with a paperback and a bottle of wine ^^

Oh Raa! tell it like it is Sir. tell it like it is. :P

#28 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

it defeats the purpose of any stompy mech game with big beefy guns when you add in a racing element to see who can capture the other base first without firing a shot.

PGI, back to basics please, this is a mech COMBAT game first and a BASE CAPTURE game second or ideally not at all

Not really. A good strategy to split or turn the enemy team is to send scouts around to start capturing. Timed well with an assault you can catch the enemy with their backs turned, retreating towards their base. If you are losing to capture without firing a shot, perhaps your strategy needs a little work.

#29 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 December 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

I disagree. I was in a group that did nothing but base rush for two hours. We had lots of fights cause the enemy (surprisingly) returned to defend their base, and then was either defeated or kicked our buts. but I guess your team failed to respond to the silky voice telling you "Base is being captured". Don't hate the thinker. By capping your base if you aren't defending it, You have to rush back to get your fight. BUT if you don't rally and attack en mass The Capper kills you in pieces. Don't blame the enemy for your failure to think tactically.

how is it a failure to think tactically. lets run through your whole TACTICS for a minute.
you like base rushing, say both teams base rush, no combat, this is suddenly mech nascar and nobody needs weapons.

you say everyone should start defending their bases instead. if everyone is defending then nobody is fighting because there's no LoS on the enemy and there's usually some large piece of earth between both teams. nobody has moved from the base and we have 100 ton trenches and it's ww1 in 3020s

the perfect scenario that happens rarely, by some miracle both teams decide to base rush along the same path and bump into each other. so in order to capture the full essence of the game we'd either have to
A) turn every map into a narrow long hallway with no escape
:P remove base capping or discourage it completely by making it almost worthless to do so in terms of reward

#30 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

While I agree that base rushing is lame and boring,at the moment,it is what it is.Understand that fact when you play.When the round starts,don't wander to far.Find a nice hiding place close enough to the base that you can respond in just a few seconds.Spring out and ambush who ever is there.In pug games it's usually going to be one of two things sitting on your base when you get to it.Either it's 1 or 2 light mechs,or it's the 4(or 8) man pugstomp squad that was going to beat you anyways.prepare for that eventuality.

Personally,I think a time or mech based restriction should be put on base capping.Base capping doesn't work before 3-5 mins is up,or 2-4 enemies are killed.But,that's just me.

#31 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

it defeats the purpose of any stompy mech game with big beefy guns when you add in a racing element to see who can capture the other base first without firing a shot.

PGI, back to basics please, this is a mech COMBAT game first and a BASE CAPTURE game second or ideally not at all

As others have already mentioned, but I felt compelled to mention too...You want combat - Defend your base. And if the rest of your PUG team runs off into the wild blue yonder, you'll have more combat than you'll know what to do with.

#32 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

how is it a failure to think tactically. lets run through your whole TACTICS for a minute.
you like base rushing, say both teams base rush, no combat, this is suddenly mech nascar and nobody needs weapons.

you say everyone should start defending their bases instead. if everyone is defending then nobody is fighting because there's no LoS on the enemy and there's usually some large piece of earth between both teams. nobody has moved from the base and we have 100 ton trenches and it's ww1 in 3020s

the perfect scenario that happens rarely, by some miracle both teams decide to base rush along the same path and bump into each other. so in order to capture the full essence of the game we'd either have to
A) turn every map into a narrow long hallway with no escape
:P remove base capping or discourage it completely by making it almost worthless to do so in terms of reward

Preachin to the chior buddy! Its so refreshing to see other people that realize how crappy base capping is.

#33 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

you sir, find little enjoyment in life and I pity thee

:P
You're way to bound up in this game if you're making an assumption base d on a post like that brother. I find a load of fun in life.

BTW, thee and thou is over in the Dungeons and Dragons or Coplay or that "hippy faire" where fat guys dress up like knights forums I think.

#34 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostKaijin, on 14 December 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

As others have already mentioned, but I felt compelled to mention too...You want combat - Defend your base. And if the rest of your PUG team runs off into the wild blue yonder, you'll have more combat than you'll know what to do with.

and like I said. that's a pointless argument considering 5v1 is suicide. nothing is worse than being pecked to death by a group of lights because you can't hit them because the art of netcoding has escaped the development team.
and their response was "IT'S AN ANTI CHEAT FEATURE"

#35 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

View PostCleverbird, on 14 December 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

I agree, the game would be more fun if the bases were to be removed

I don't think that is true at all. What would end up happening is that many players would simply roll in the fastest mechs possible with long range weapons and stay on the edges of the maps. Big mechs would be practically out of the game except to those that don't understand and/or like getting killed over and over.

The game would turn into a "catch the fleeing chicken" mess.

Edited by Jacmac, 14 December 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#36 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I think the base capture is a bit lame, we also get a new base capture mode with multiple bases soon.... hurrah!

Seriously though, it also serves a purpose. If your only objective was to kill the enemy, fights would be hopeless within a few kills. I've won several matches my team was losing because someone went for the enemy base while I defended or brawled to the death against overwhelming odds. Without an alternative objective teams would walk around in huge blobs and it would be blob vs blob. A match needs a minimum of two ways of victory to impose the need for strategy and organisation among a team. Doesn't have to be about capturing something though. It feels like match modes are currently about capture because they're afraid people won't play lights if they have no reason to.

What puzzles me most, is why there is a reward for base capture but after so many patches there is no reward for base defense.

#37 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostFrostPaw, on 14 December 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

What puzzles me most, is why there is a reward for base capture but after so many patches there is no reward for base defense.

because there's an idea man in house who also just so happens to be a speed freak who believes all mechs should be armored core mecha dodge and rush with lightning speed rather than ponderous and heavy war engines. this man has it stuck in his head that everyone should be attacking as fast as possible and there is no such thing as defense

#38 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

except coordination doesn't happen in pugs.
you end up going 1 on 5 and I've never seen anyone beat those odds, especially on tundra and nobody watching the tunnel that's large enough for a team of atlas's to just walk through casually

Then why the F*** do you play in PUGs?

It seems to me the majority of all complaints I see in these forums is from PUG players, and the #1 response given to them is to learn how to play as a team...and instead of scrolling down on these forums to the merc corp recruitment thread: http://mwomercs.com/...orp-recruiting/ they come to general discussion instead and complain about how awful things are for PUG players, and how everything needs to be nerfed/changed to fit their :foreveralone: vision of the game.

#39 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I will not say this is a beta because that is not the answer.
I will say, it is a team game. Work with your pug partners to make it work. Since I have started trying to get my teams to work together with just a couple typed messages at the beginning, we do much better. Of course we will get rolled enough times, but we had an effective defense really makes it feel better. If you feel the roll is happening to much, be that guy to communicate and organize. Run a scout mech and help your team find the baddies. This works more than you might think. I only run a light in solo queue now and scout for my team every round.

#40 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

because there's an idea man in house who also just so happens to be a speed freak who believes all mechs should be armored core mecha dodge and rush with lightning speed rather than ponderous and heavy war engines. this man has it stuck in his head that everyone should be attacking as fast as possible and there is no such thing as defense

Actually, the majority of pilots running light or medium mechs is original MW canon. Mechs are rare and expensive, and only officers or ace veterans are supposed to be driving the biggies. When you drop into a match and you look around and see almost entirely Atlases and Cataphracts on your team...that is not correct to MW canon at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users