• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

how is it a failure to think tactically. lets run through your whole TACTICS for a minute.
you like base rushing, say both teams base rush, no combat, this is suddenly mech nascar and nobody needs weapons.
So you send back a cav unit to shoo off the enemy from your base. they find it has more than one enemy, calls for assistance and then pursues stopping the cap by... engaging the enemy.

you say everyone should start defending their bases instead. if everyone is defending then nobody is fighting because there's no LoS on the enemy and there's usually some large piece of earth between both teams. nobody has moved from the base and we have 100 ton trenches and it's ww1 in 3020s
No... I said YOU should start defending yours as it is you who are getting capped. you get Capped cause you failed to plan for the possibility.

the perfect scenario that happens rarely, by some miracle both teams decide to base rush along the same path and bump into each other.
You call this a "perfect" scenario? Know how many times a "scenario" goes perfectly in warfare?
let me give you a lesson.
Training exercise: Assault 1st Platoons position. our team. one Fire team.
So what did we do? Did we go in guns blazing? Nope we snuck into their "base"(trenchline) and went from man to man slitting their throat with a red Sharpie. Four men killed 25 while the patrols were looking for us! THAT IS AN ASSAULT IN ACTION SIR.

so in order to capture the full essence of the game we'd either have to

A) turn every map into a narrow long hallway with no escape
:P remove base capping or discourage it completely by making it almost worthless to do so in terms of reward
Or maybe some of us just need to learn how to defend our base when the enemy comes a calling!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 December 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#42 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostPygar, on 14 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Then why the F*** do you play in PUGs?

It seems to me the majority of all complaints I see in these forums is from PUG players, and the #1 response given to them is to learn how to play as a team...and instead of scrolling down on these forums to the merc corp recruitment thread: http://mwomercs.com/...orp-recruiting/ they come to general discussion instead and complain about how awful things are for PUG players, and how everything needs to be nerfed/changed to fit their :foreveralone: vision of the game.

because I shouldn't be forced to join or use a 3rd party voip just to communicate with a pre set.
the technology exists for in game voip, I mean ******** look at planetside 2

LOOK AT HOW MARVELOUS THEIR SYSTEM IS AND BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GREATEST VOIP, CHAT, AND TACTICS RELATED SYSTEM IN THE LAST 5 YEARS

#43 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Coordination doesn't happen in ALL pugs certainly, however it happens in a surprisingly higher percentage than some people are wlling to give them credit.

If you supply good tactics in chat, many people will follow them. (Also good to listen to other people giving those tactics in their own chat also) Does it always work? No.. However most pug games are against other pugs. Most drops aren't premades.

Personally I like caps being part of the game because it gives the game some more tactics. Pure deathmatch has been done in all the previous Mechwarrior games, it's not tremendously interesting, it's all about finding the best place to camp. In basecap games, you can't just do that because you've got to look out for something you have to defend as well. Even a base rush isn't a "freewin" because the enemy can also be doing that. Caps give the game some more depth, and that's why I like them in the game.

Deathmatch over and over gets really dull very quickly.

Edited by verybad, 14 December 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#44 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

because I shouldn't be forced to join or use a 3rd party voip just to communicate with a pre set.

LOOK AT HOW MARVELOUS THEIR SYSTEM IS AND BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GREATEST VOIP, CHAT, AND TACTICS RELATED SYSTEM IN THE LAST 5 YEARS

I guess you are joking. Planetside 2's VOIP isn't used all that much, and the game is actually a bit shallow in my opinion. Planetside 1 seems like a better game, just not better graphics.

#45 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Yeah, because downloading and setting up TS3 is sooooo hard.

Oh wait, it isn't hard to use Teamspeak at all....nevermind.

#46 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

you must not ever use it yourself because I've seen it used constantly. it's the easiest to setup, all you do is hit insert A SINGLE BUTTON to be dropped into a group to communicate with, or you can hit a proximity p2t button and yell out for what you need to anyone around you. making a premade in that game is also insanely easy, if you like the group, just make an outfit or add them to friends.

the biggest thing though is the lack of need for any vent or ts3 or mumble or any of that ********. you just push to talk.

honestly their system could not be made any easier except for the removal of p2t completely

#47 Razegerogero

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

nobody has fun capping.

Isn't this unnecessarily broad generalization? I, for example, generally don't enjoy deathmatch modes in any game except RTS.

Granted there does seem to be a need for a deathmatch mode, but I'm sure that's something the studio is considering to add sooner or later.

However, to return to Assault, whilst I've only played this a few weeks, most games I've had have ended up deathmatch-like and usually base capping doesn't happen. Actually, I'd wager to guess that base capping with both teams being played well are very hard to accomplish.

Edited by Razegerogero, 14 December 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#48 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostPygar, on 14 December 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yeah, because downloading and setting up TS3 is sooooo hard.

Oh wait, it isn't hard to use Teamspeak at all....nevermind.

WAY TO COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT BRO, I bet your public school couldn't afford the text books too, huh.

what I said was, why do we even need to have to join 3rd party voip.
if you like using them that's fine, but these days ingame voip should be an essential. they introduced c3 which is just their own proprietary c3. what they really need is just ingame push to talk

#49 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think they just need to put 2 new modes in - king of the hill and a true "attack/defend" one. All you'd have to do is remove one cap space for the latter (and let it alternate for variety), and just remove the current cap spaces in favor of one cap space in the middle of the map for KOTH.

We have conquest coming, but anyone that's ever run Arathi basin knows that deathball team stomps are the way most of those games go down. It won't be any different in MWO. Reducing the game to one cap space is a much friendlier alternative for PuGs. It's not like they'll get lost when there's only one place to go... Well not as often as they do now anyway.

#50 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I agree that capping for a win is boring, which is why I instead will engage the enemy instead of followin the train sometimes. If you're to slow to move to engage then defend. Nobody's making you rush their cap.

#51 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

WAY TO COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT BRO, I bet your public school couldn't afford the text books too, huh.

if you like using them that's fine, but these days ingame voip should be an essential. they introduced c3 which is just their own proprietary c3. what they really need is just ingame push to talk

Actually, why make PGI waste time on that, when 3rd party voice isn't that big of a hurdle for serious players to overcome? I'd way rather see PGI work on all the other content the game needs first.

#52 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

This is something that they are working to correct. Until then you can adapt and overcome, or whine and moan. The choice you are making is clear.

#53 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Leave a non-ADHD mech at your base to protect it. That is all.

#54 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Sorry you thought you were playing Hawken. This is MWO. It's about more than just shooting things.

#55 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

When did this become a discussion on VOiP?

#56 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

If I'm in an Atlas, I've started with defending the base until the scouts have made multiple contacts. This way, the base is being defended from rushes and with knowing where the enemy position is, you can move out with more certainty on the enemy location. So, in essence, it means you get to fight to defend and/or fight on the offensive.

#57 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

View Postkilgor, on 14 December 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

If I'm in an Atlas, I've started with defending the base until the scouts have made multiple contacts. This way, the base is being defended from rushes and with knowing where the enemy position is, you can move out with more certainty on the enemy location. So, in essence, it means you get to fight to defend and/or fight on the offensive.

Back when My frames were 12-16 per second i would take a position and wait till enemy contacts were made and within range of my perch. Then rain death. i don't do that any more... I miss it sometimes, but turning a corner and just coring a Jenner is so invigorating!

#58 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

you wanna see something funny? The game I saw last night: If the matchmaker is the way I understand; our team of 4 light mechs and 4 assaults means the enemy team was the same yes?

their 4 lights were running the modules that increase cap speed - they raced in, and we got the "base is under attack" message. By the time our assaults turned around and the scout mechs had reached us to run back towards the base the game was over. We never even had a chance to react.

Gotta say that makes me want to be a part of that lance - if the lag shield didnt make light mechs feel so exploitey to me

If im running a mech that I KNOW people cant shoot me because of a flaw in the game, that feels LESS fun to me. Like playing a game on an easier mode than the people shooting at me are

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 14 December 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#59 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 December 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Or maybe some of us just need to learn how to defend our base when the enemy comes a calling!

Yeah that doesnt work when by the time you realize youre under attack the base is half capped. So are the scout mechs supposed no not scout but sit in the base to do that defending? Because with the lag shield and teleporting lights I keep seeing, putting the assaults/heavies in there would be as useless as having noone there

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 14 December 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#60 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 December 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yeah that doesnt work when by the time you realize youre under attack the base is half capped. So are the scout mechs supposed no not scout but sit in the base to do that defending? Because with the lag shield and teleporting lights I keep seeing, putting the assaults/heavies in there would be as useless as having noone there

One or two heavy/assault Mechs on base until your main force make contact with the enemy main force. One should be a DDC with 3 SSRMs. The other should have streaks or pulse lasers. Once the furball has started, scouts fall back so they can protect base and keep the lights off of your main force. Base defenders can then move up to the fight. The other option is to have your scouts start capping in order to turn/split the enemy force.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users