European Servers.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Totnacht

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Dear PGI,

I'm quite fed up beeing shot by people with a ping of 30.

I myself am from Europe and think that I'm a kind of 2nd class customer, because it's ok to just log in to the american servers and get shot up with a ping of 200-300, lead ac20 shots 6 meters ahead of anything 50 meters away of me to hit ?

That's no fun at all.

Well I can actually tell you what is going to happen if you don't put some fast european servers when this game hits vanilla.

The clients will come, get owned by fast pingers and leave instantly.

The game itself is good, fix the con.

Best regards,

Totnacht

#2 Fuzzyhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEquestria *Applelieface*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image

also iam playing from germany even if iam have a ping of 130ms, i make kills and the game is not that fast that the ping really do anything, ALSO couse the game client to server to client and not client to client, YOU CAN HAVE A PING OF 9001 and keep playing without problems.

So first know what are you talking about, than flame.

#3 Sparkledragon

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 5
  • Warrior - Point 5
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

While I don't agree with Fuzzy's tone, I do agree with his opinion. I play from germany too, and how well the hit detection works very much depends on each individual target. Some mechs I have no problem hitting. Others I can shoot at close range while theyre not moving and it won't even register a single point of damage...

It doesn't seem to be a distance problem, just awful netcoding.

#4 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Be gald your not in Australia/NZ with a 250+ Ping....

#5 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

The self-delusional powers of founders never cease to amaze me...

#6 Fonus

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

European servers or not, personally I haven't experienced this high ping in many years. Beta or not, when you start accepting payment there should be some investment in servers.

Seriously I cant see any reason for the current situation:
Using an engine that should have multiplayer support
Game standard for multiplayergame is 32-64 (this game only have to handle 16 players)
Things like client-side prediction isn't rocket science anymore (have been around since 1996).

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Reason for the current situation: The game is still early in beta. This pretty much covers all your points.

#8 Totnacht

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

View Postsycocys, on 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Reason for the current situation: The game is still early in beta. This pretty much covers all your points.

This is actually one of the reasons why I'am complaing. Something game breaking like this, which is going to definetly drive 90 % of European customers away, must be fixed before game goes vanilla.

People won't play games they can't win, only because the other side has half a second more time to react.

Easy, cheap, fix.

Let people play together with good ping times, everyone under 70/60 ms is all right.

Best regards,

Totnacht

#9 nonplusultra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 241 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

They already said that they will improve the netcode.
So stop spamming and wait!

#10 Fuzzyhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEquestria *Applelieface*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

ok today i played some games while i was downloading stuff, had a ping of 450, and killed 5 than 4 than 6 mechs in a row (atlas) only thing what was affacted by that ping was the ballistic weapons but after a little adjusting even that was no problem anymore.

the game is not like other shooters it is not Peer to Peer so the ping dont effect to much the gameplay, its client to server, than the server works with the data and send it to the clients that are in your battle.

also a european server would not fix the "lagshield" that is a problem of the netcode that currently get a whole overwork

and european servers are already planed since well the beginning of closed beta, but they want first to make a better netcode and fix stuff etc...

but just demanding hey i wanna that and that... is not how it works.

#11 zrap

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Of course you can so ok with ping 100-200. Its also not the drama the OP makes around it, and if you suck with ping 150 you will still suck with ping 50.

as much as I would like eu servers with non 56k modem pings: at the moment splitting the player base would be a bad idea.

when community warfare is here and beta is over we need EU servers though.

#12 Totnacht

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostFuzzyhead, on 15 December 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

ok today i played some games while i was downloading stuff, had a ping of 450, and killed 5 than 4 than 6 mechs in a row (atlas) only thing what was affacted by that ping was the ballistic weapons but after a little adjusting even that was no problem anymore.

the game is not like other shooters it is not Peer to Peer so the ping dont effect to much the gameplay, its client to server, than the server works with the data and send it to the clients that are in your battle.

also a european server would not fix the "lagshield" that is a problem of the netcode that currently get a whole overwork

and european servers are already planed since well the beginning of closed beta, but they want first to make a better netcode and fix stuff etc...

but just demanding hey i wanna that and that... is not how it works.

But let me try to explain you how a server works alright ?

Against your facepalm I will try to stay as polite as possible.

you have a dedicated server, for any kind of game, let it be counter-strike, cod3/4 whatever, or World of Warcraft.

MWO-Servers work all the same, you can't change the wheel.

you have communication between the server and the different clients, but only the server runs the actual happening game, and all the actions of the gamer are directly handled on the server, thats why we have so called lag.

if you can communicate faster with the server, all the inputs you do as a client, will be worked faster, so you have
for example :

a better weapon response

better movement response

and so on.

For other clients, that have a very fast connection therefore a better response, against clients which have a worse connection it just doubles up.

That's just the whole point of problem.

It's no fun, and it's not how a competitive game should be done.

Or do you think, racing with a Ford against a Ferrari is fairplay ?

Best regards,

Totnacht

#13 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

I'm from holland with a ping of 100 ~130 , and the game is perfect playable, (hence, the known netcode issues)

View PostTotnacht, on 15 December 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

People won't play games they can't win, only because the other side has half a second more time to react.

incorrect...ping is calculated in milliseconds, so american players have a ping of 30 and european players a ping of 130, so that is a difference of 100 ms = 0,1 second.

That is in online gaming not that much.

Edited by Kain, 15 December 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#14 Totnacht

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postzrap, on 15 December 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Of course you can so ok with ping 100-200. Its also not the drama the OP makes around it, and if you suck with ping 150 you will still suck with ping 50.

as much as I would like eu servers with non 56k modem pings: at the moment splitting the player base would be a bad idea.

when community warfare is here and beta is over we need EU servers though.

So you think it's a good idea, to just make a new server when the game goes Vanilla ? Without stress testing it ?

Well Warhammer Online did just that.

Was no good idea.

Best regards,

Totnacht

View PostKain, on 15 December 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

I'm from holland with a ping of 100 ~130 , and the game is perfect playable, (hence, the known netcode issues)

incorrect...ping is calculated in milliseconds, so american players have a ping of 30 and european players a ping of 130, so that is a difference of 100 ms = 0,1 second.

I actually have quite most of the time a ping of 200-300.

I think as a German I may call myself European.

#15 VampireMoose

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDown South UK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

Despite Fuzzys various posts, which despite having some facts, the tone is rather unneeded.

Less lag is always good and helps no matter what anyone says, if not we would all by on modems with 300 MS and no one would of invested in fibre technology.

He is asking for Europe servers, he is allowed to ask.

It has never been comfirmed that there will deffinately be europe servers as far as I am aware.
Thus his question is valid, maybe not all his reasons, but if you don't ask you dont get/learn.

#16 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostTotnacht, on 15 December 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

I think as a German I may call myself European.

[bad joke ]yeah that's true, Germany almost controlled whole of Europe... :P [/bad joke]

but seriously; a high ping is indeed annoying and PGI should place more servers for their European players and Australian players.
And i expect that they will do that ,when the game is more developed and more players are going to play the game.
I don't think it is a high priority for PGI at the moment, as long as the game is in Beta development

#17 Totnacht

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostKain, on 15 December 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

[bad joke ]yeah that's true, Germany almost controlled whole of Europe... :) [/bad joke]

but seriously; a high ping is indeed annoying and PGI should place more servers for their European players and Australian players.
And i expect that they will do that ,when the game is more developed and more players are going to play the game.
I don't think it is a high priority for PGI at the moment, as long as the game is in Beta development

Actually I hoped you would just do that joke :P

It's quite what you point out, at the moment it's not so important, but later on, they should get some server hubs in various positions, to make everyones game as enjoyable, as possible, and we should be able to help, and test those servers before an open launch.

#18 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

From what I've seen on the forums, they are working on bringing EU servers online. We could use some more information on that though. I can get my kills and hurt people even with latency over 200, but frankly there are too many klingons cloaking and warping it does ruin the feel of the game sometimes.

Kain: Yep, Germany once ruled a huge part of Europe, but so did the Ottoman empire. Servers in Germany would be great though, as far as I know blizzard had wow servers somewhere near Paris and there were some crazy lag spikes back there. No such issues with Germany.

#19 Niberung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Well, since the devs are trying really hard to alleviate the symptoms without curing the desease itself (polishing the netcode, adjusting projectile speeds, ECM and such - everything that makes it easier to hit a lagging target or avoid getting hit) we won't be seeing EU servers for some time.

But the game itself is playable enough. I'm playing from Russia (and literally from the other side of the Northern hemisphere) and the ping to MWO server is the best among other NA game servers I connect to. Yeah, I don't bother trying to hit a smart light 'mech (hey, not all of them keep changing their direction every other couple of seconds - and they pay for that dearly) with anything but SSRMs, but I rarely miss anything that moves under 80 km/h even with ballistic weapons. Looking at the damage I deal it seems like I miss about 25-30% of all shots fired with AC10/Gauss/PPC. It's not thet bad, really.

Edited by Niberung, 15 December 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#20 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 15 December 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Kain: Yep, Germany once ruled a huge part of Europe, but so did the Ottoman empire. Servers in Germany would be great though, as far as I know blizzard had wow servers somewhere near Paris and there were some crazy lag spikes back there. No such issues with Germany.

The lag spikes in France were probably from the ports going on strike... badoom tisch

Edited by Apoc1138, 15 December 2012 - 01:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users