#1 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

My heart goes out to all the little children who got killed at their elementary school in Connecticut in their kindergarten class

My deepest sympathy to any of the MWO community who may have been affected my this tragedy.

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

;)

For those that haven't seen... Elementary School Shooting

Words can't begin to describe what has taken place. Shootings seem so common place these days, but at an elementary school? I'm not one to pray much these days, but thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those children lost today... them and anyone lost...

;)

#3 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Why is this sh*t becoming so rampant? Seems like it happens more and more each year.

Sympathies to those involved.

#4 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the killer was somewhat motivated by the mayan calander. Someone crazy enough to kill children is crazy enough to believe the world is ending in a week, so they probably figured, "Why not?"

#5 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

To my understanding he went straight for his mother, so I'm guessing family issues.

Why the sick coward then turned on children oblivious to any of his family issues is beyond me.

#6 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

im sick to my stomach about the who thing they were so small ...its so sad

#7 CPUuser123

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

I would like to express my sincere sympathy to all who may have been affected by today's tragedy. Those families affected will be within my thoughts and prayers throughout the day...

#8 MasterofBlasters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 477 posts
  • LocationYou'd like to know that wouldn't you?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

This is one of those,
Posted Image
Moments.

My condolences to the families that have to suffer through this atrocity.

Edited by Barg12, 14 December 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

The story is just breaking here in the Uk and it's just terrible, my thoughts are with the children and families of those picking up the pieces of this terrible crime.

We had a similar shooting in the UK some years back in a primary school where 16 children died so I know how it can effect the entire country.

My Condolences are with our American cousins.

Edited by Mack1, 14 December 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#10 Perfecto Oviedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 207 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I just hope this changes something in this country...

#11 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thoughts and Prayers to those caught up in this

#12 chaz706

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Utah

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Three thoughts:

1) Good God! What goes through the mind of someone who shoots up an elementary school? It's something I don't know if I could completely understand or comprehend. The fact that such darkness could exist and cloud the mind of anyone is almost something to mourn in and of itself.

2) My sincerest condolences to the families who have lost loved once in this tragedy. A moment of violence has snuffed out the lives of 14 people, along with any sort of potential or future achievements that may have been, what relationships could've been had, and what happiness there could've been. At times like this knowing the magnitude of the loss would be as futile as accounting for every grain of sand that flows upon the beaches. It also brings to mind the fragility of life, how quickly it can be lost, and how tragic the aftermath can be.

3) Not to start flame-wars, but this sort of thing could happen (and has happened) before guns existed. Taking any sort of weapon away from anyone for any reason will do nothing to prevent this sort of tragedy (or lessen the odds of it repeating) in the future.

#13 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Why is this sh*t becoming so rampant? Seems like it happens more and more each year.

I don't usually feel moved to make a political statement in the wake of a terrible event like this. It seems like a cheap tactic. However, the real tragedy is deeper than even this sad day. The real tragedy to me is why this keeps happening! When will people learn from the past and guard their futures with common sense?

These horrible things happen because deranged individuals targets places where victims dwell in large numbers.

And by victims, I mean people who can't shoot back. People like children, and people like teachers who can't carry legally at work (because it's a school campus).

There is a reason that you don't hear about mass rampage shootings at police departments or biker rallies. Certain types of individuals are known to carry weapons, and to shoot back when provoked. Terrorists do not target their victims randomly... they are bullies who prey on the weak.

A disarmed population is a vulnerable one. No one seems to get this. Everyone seems afraid of the common sense solution.

My deepest sympathies to anyone involved in this terrible event. Even for those not personally touched by this act of violence, it casts a dark cloud over what should be a happy time of year.

#14 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Just thinking of what the parents are going through makes me tear up. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost my kids.

#15 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostRyft, on 14 December 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

And by victims, I mean people who can't shoot back. People like children, and people like teachers who can't carry legally at work (because it's a school campus).

Small correction. What I read on the net is that teachers in Connecticut are allowed to carry concealed if the school management is ok with it.

Although I have to say your "solution" sounds very much like a knee-jerk reaction.

#16 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

My heart goes out to all the families involved.

I teared up more then i have ever done in my life, its one thing to kill innocents, its another to harm children.

Words cannot express my sadness for this.

#17 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

;) :ph34r:

Prayers indeed for those involved in this evil happening... none of us really have any idea of the suffering that is going on in the minds and emotions of those who were directly touched by this.

May God send people alongside those affected to suffer with them for a time, and help them to rebuild their lives in the aftermath.

View Postchaz706, on 14 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Three thoughts:

1) Good God! What goes through the mind of someone who shoots up an elementary school? It's something I don't know if I could completely understand or comprehend. The fact that such darkness could exist and cloud the mind of anyone is almost something to mourn in and of itself.

Jeremiah 17:9

The heart (mind, will, emotions of humanity) is deceitful above all things,

and desperately sick;

who can understand it?

3) Not to start flame-wars, ...

Clear heads are really needed in the wake of these things. We have a bad habit of not thinking after these things and being ruled by our emotions.

View PostRyft, on 14 December 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

I don't usually feel moved to make a political statement in the wake of a terrible event like this. It seems like a cheap tactic.

As long as it's done soberly, it's not a cheap tactic to discuss how the politics around an issue work themselves out into real life consequences. What's shameful is to not discuss the necessary consequences of people's political views, especially when tragic conseqences like this are involved.

I would actually say it's an evil thing to not clearly discuss the ideas that bear these kinds of consequences in life. If we dont' do so, we are standing by and allowing it to happen again, and again.

However, the real tragedy is deeper than even this sad day. The real tragedy to me is why this keeps happening! When will people learn from the past and guard their futures with common sense?

We won't. That's the problem with human nature, and why we continuously repeat the well-known mistakes of the past... and this will not change. Ever. The best we can do is recognize that this will not change and attempt to validly address it in our governments and in our societies.

The thing, however, that has changed, is that our society has abandoned internal moral constraints. We have told ourselves there are no conseqences for our actions in this world, and in so doing have opened up pandora's box.

These horrible things happen because deranged individuals targets places where victims dwell in large numbers.

There is a reason that you don't hear about mass rampage shootings at police departments or biker rallies. Certain types of individuals are known to carry weapons, and to shoot back when provoked. Terrorists do not target their victims randomly... they are bullies who prey on the weak.

A disarmed population is a vulnerable one. No one seems to get this. Everyone seems afraid of the common sense solution.

Absolutely true. These rampages have been happening in victim zones, where people are not allowed to defend themselves on an equal par, and where proper security is not provided to make up for the deficit caused by forced inequality of ability to defend oneself and others.

I would make the argument for why we should give people an equal chance of defending themselves myself, but someone else has done it much better than I:

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single *** guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job.

That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

LINK

Edited by Pht, 14 December 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#18 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I hope shooter will burn in hell forever!

#19 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Initial reports and responses from folks on twitter indicate that people who knew Adam Lanza were not very surprised. His mother had retired some years ago from teaching to care for him. It was weapons registered under her name that were used. It is known that at the very least the shooter had a "personality disorder" as described by his older brother Ryan. The chain of custody over the weapons is not known. Whether they were actually her's or if she was used as a "strawman" to provide access to someone with enough mental issues to disqualify for ownership is unknown. Someone dropped the ball.

#20 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostRedoxin, on 14 December 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Small correction. What I read on the net is that teachers in Connecticut are allowed to carry concealed if the school management is ok with it.

Although I have to say your "solution" sounds very much like a knee-jerk reaction.

That surprises me, in a blue state like that. Good on the schools that do allow it, though I doubt that there are many over there.

If my solution sounds knee-jerk, then I phrased it poorly. My stance on gun ownership is an opinion I've had for years. When I read something like this in the news, mostly all I can do is shake my head at how needless it feels to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users