Does the CryEngine 3 support Physx?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Sidewinder619

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Does the CryEngine 3 support Physx? I'd love to see some spectacular effects with weapons, etc

#2 Celestial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Good chance, Nvidia and Crytek are buddies. Just look at the DX11 patch for Crysis 2, it has Nvidia written all over it!

#3 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Most modern engines have built in physx, its the norm standard.

#4 Chuckie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Believe it or not.. looks like the answer is no (I was kind of surprised too)

From the Nvidia website:

What game engines support PhysX technology?
Unreal Engine 3, Gamebryo, Vision, Instinct, Trinigy, Diesel, Unity 3D, Hero, BigWorld.

What game publishers have licensed PhysX for their global studios?
EA, THQ, 2K Games, Sega and others.

Now could Crysis be "others" ? Maybe.. but why not say so.. they mention BigWorld (The WoT Engine) and its a small engine compared to CryEngine3

According to the Wiki on CryEngine 3.. its not listed as a feature either

http://en.wikipedia....iki/CryEngine_3

which was confirmed by the Devs at Crysis... (Be it a while ago)

http://www.gamephys....ysx-middleware/

So short answer.. No. Does not look like it will.

But it looks like it may use a better engine all together. IN hindsight this is probably better because it the game would run the same and wouldnt cause problems between ATI and Nvidia cards.

Edited by Chuckie, 04 February 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#5 Axiomatic

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Battletech is far better game but sadly this games direct competitor Hawken just got PhysX support.

http://www.youtube.c...v=eGVXfvA_-fA#!

Come on Piranha! You know you want to add PhysX! Who's a good boy? You are!

#6 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

CryENGINE 3 has its own internally developed CryPHYSICS engine that debuted in Crysis and CryENGINE 2, which CryTek's proud of, so there was no reason for them to license or include PhysX in CryENGINE 2/3.

Features such as the tree breaking, building demolition and impact damage calculations in Crysis was handled by CryPHYSICS. PGI says it places too much load on the servers right now or something to be used.

What would PhysX bring for this game, anyway? At best, it can be only visual fluff, because it would disadvantage ATi/AMD users.

Edited by Dukarriope, 29 January 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#7 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

You can kick a car into someones face in Crysis so I guess no PhysX but there's physics.

#8 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostAxiomatic, on 29 January 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Battletech is far better game but sadly this games direct competitor Hawken just got PhysX support.

Direct competitor? Hawken is a FPS in a mech suit. It's not a sim.

View PostDukarriope, on 29 January 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

CryENGINE 3 has its own internally developed CryPHYSICS engine that debuted in Crysis and CryENGINE 2, which CryTek's proud of, so there was no reason for them to license or include PhysX in CryENGINE 2/3.

Features such as the tree breaking, building demolition and impact damage calculations in Crysis was handled by CryPHYSICS. PGI says it places too much load on the servers right now or something to be used.

What would PhysX bring for this game, anyway? At best, it can be only visual fluff, because it would disadvantage ATi/AMD users.

I want trees to break in MWO and mechs can crush cars. Is that too much to ask? =)

#9 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

isn't physx mostly just dynamic cloth animation

#10 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostNatasha Kerensky, on 29 January 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

I want trees to break in MWO and mechs can crush cars. Is that too much to ask? =)

View PostDukarriope, on 29 January 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

i.e. PGI hasn't figured out how to keep the implementation stable. They're working on it, I presume.

View PostTennex, on 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Cloth animation is one of its strong points. But here are more wide examples.
http://www.geforce.c...madness-returns
http://www.geforce.c...ty-a-first-look

It's all visual fluff, but it's a lot more than just cloth simulation. It's a lot of enhanced particle physics. Most existing physics implementations (such as Havok) only handle macro or large size objects, PhysX is capable of computing the behavior of hundreds, even thousands of small sized objects. This also extends to fluid physics behavior.

Edited by Dukarriope, 29 January 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#11 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

The netcode boys said that once they hammer down lag amor/ lag sheilds a bit more, and work on hit detection, they'll let use start punting cars and knocking over trees. Evidently, breaking the enviroment gives useful data on where stuff is and where it lands on the map for when they bring mech knock down back.

#12 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 29 January 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

The netcode boys said that once they hammer down lag amor/ lag sheilds a bit more, and work on hit detection, they'll let use start punting cars and knocking over trees. Evidently, breaking the enviroment gives useful data on where stuff is and where it lands on the map for when they bring mech knock down back.

i would love to step on cars

#13 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostTennex, on 29 January 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

i would love to step on cars

I'd love to hear that shill squell and the horn blows and dies under my feet. Or you kick one and the alarm goes off.

#14 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostTennex, on 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

To be blunt. Yes. And most other physics engines even do that better.

Most people who ask for physx, don't even know what it is/does.

#15 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostMrPenguin, on 29 January 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

To be blunt. Yes. And most other physics engines even do that better.

Most people who ask for physx, don't even know what it is/does.

It's dependent on what the game developer is willing to provide for it, such as breakable surfaces. It's just that cloth simulation is one of the more obvious or frequently advertised features of PhysX, but I already posted two examples of wider capabilities of PhysX.

#16 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostDukarriope, on 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

It's dependent on what the game developer is willing to provide for it, such as breakable surfaces. It's just that cloth simulation is one of the more obvious or frequently advertised features of PhysX, but I already posted two examples of wider capabilities of PhysX.

...a developer can't suddenly make physx good. Also, theirs a reason cloth physics is the one thing thats advertised about it. And nothing else.

Edited by MrPenguin, 29 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#17 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostMrPenguin, on 29 January 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

...a developer can't suddenly make physx good. Also, theirs a reason cloth physics is the one thing thats advertised about it. And nothing else.

Last I checked they advertised fluid, fog and shard displacement. I haven't any interest in PhysX being in MWO, but I don't think it's worth telling people PhysX is terrible or "doesn't do anything more than cloth animation". Again, as with any game engine feature, it depends on the developer creating assets for it. It's just the same as how you need to create nice models and textures for anything.
Unless you mean to say PhysX has no gameplay value, which is certainly true.

#18 Deamhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 484 posts
  • Location4 Wing Cold Lake

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostCelestial, on 04 February 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Good chance, Nvidia and Crytek are buddies. Just look at the DX11 patch for Crysis 2, it has Nvidia written all over it!

So the question remains. When will MWO see DX11?

View PostAxiomatic, on 29 January 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

LoL

View PostNatasha Kerensky, on 29 January 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

This and if they are blaming their server load...they're lying.

PhysX is a physics engine that simulates physics in a way that doesn't require a super computer....

http://www.smarterte...xtreme-Physics/

...it does a pretty damn good job and a far better one than the CryPHYSICS if that is what they have. Sorry but the way some of these mechs move when they die more closely resembles a tin can getting kicked than a multiton machine falling over.

#19 Axiomatic

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yeah don't bag on nvidia's CUDA. It's a highly useful API and PhysX is just one of the myriad of functions it can do. If MWOMercs were to use it it would not affect server speed as the work is done by the client machine only and is truly nothing more than eye candy, but if you have played Borderlands 2 with PhysX on you will get an idea of some of the cool things Physx can add to your immersion.in the universe.

I work with CUDA every day for my real world job from stock market modeling to n body modeling to solving cancer by mapping the human DNA and other fantastic uses. It's a shame ATI doesn't have something similar as then I think the graphics effects might be more used by game developers.

Anyway, it was just a idle wish and all you getting butt-hurt about the suggestion need to relax. I'll never once believe that if MWOMercs had PhysX that you would complain it was there. Sure I want important things like game balance first but some in-game physics (PhysX or other) would only add to the fun.

Edited by Axiomatic, 30 January 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#20 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Bump

This is an interesting idea I'd like PGI to eventually pursue once they figure out the whole DX 11 issues and Netcode. CryPhysics and destructible environments would be an amazing feature for this game.

//thread necro

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users