Recommend An Atlas

16 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

I am planning to buy one now! If you can give me the pros and cons of different models I would appreciate it.

For now I am looking at the D-DC model and getting dual Ultra AC/5 with Large Lasers or PPCs, but I really have no idea how the models are like.

Cheers, dudes !

#2 TSB101

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say it: The D-DC is the "best" Atlas from a competative standpoint.

ECM couple with 3 missile slots gives you a powerful, powerful setup. 3x SRM6 is a hammer to the face and 3x SSRM2's is a drill that is always drilling.

However, that is not the entire story. The RS is my favorite variant. I dislike two ballistic weapons (besides the occasional 2x LBX-10 rumble) and 99% of the time I either have an AC/20 or maybe a Gauss so the 1 ballistic limit does not hinder my play style. Also, the two CT lasers are moved out to the arms. Because of this, the RS is superior to the D (for me). The D is the jack of all trades variant.

I've done 1000 damage with all three variants more times than I can count. If I had to do it all over again? I'd start with the RS, then the D-DC, then the D. If S/SRMs or ballistics tickle your fancy, grab the D-DC first.

Also don't shy away from the 325 std engine while you are experimenting. Don't waste your hard-earned C-Bills on FF or ES. Get DHS ASAP and start tinkering.

Good luck.

Edited by TSB101, 14 December 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#3 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

D-DC it is, I already like it. Your opinion just tipped me and I am buying it ... now !

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostVOHRIMENKO, on 14 December 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

I am planning to buy one now! If you can give me the pros and cons of different models I would appreciate it.

For now I am looking at the D-DC model and getting dual Ultra AC/5 with Large Lasers or PPCs, but I really have no idea how the models are like.

Cheers, dudes !

D-DC hands down. It's silly how good this mech is. It hits the hardest and has the most utility with ECM and modules.

At the cost of losing 2 energy hard points in the center torso, you gain 1 missile hard point in the left torso for a total of 3, you can use ECM, and you have 3 module slots by default.

#5 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I really enjoy the DDC from a hardpoint perspective. I'm a fan of missiles, and three missile slots is really nice. The ECM of course is the big reason I initially purchased it, but I really do think it's a mech I'd play even if ECM wasn't in the game.

I also love the RS. 4 laser hardpoints in the arms gives you a ton of flexibility.

#6 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

I like the hard points balance in the mech - want to mix Large Lasers/PPCs with auto cannons - should be fun. Also watching a guy with 2 Ultra AC/5 + 2 ER Large Lasers and SSRMs was ... well inspiring B)

P.S. Bought the mech, now I have to save for DHS and start customising it, shouldn't take too long I hope!

#7 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostVOHRIMENKO, on 15 December 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

I like the hard points balance in the mech - want to mix Large Lasers/PPCs with auto cannons - should be fun. Also watching a guy with 2 Ultra AC/5 + 2 ER Large Lasers and SSRMs was ... well inspiring B)

P.S. Bought the mech, now I have to save for DHS and start customising it, shouldn't take too long I hope!

You can cheat the xp and cash a bit by loading 3 lrm 15 launchers on it and raining some pugs to death. <_< That's what I did when I first got it.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostUrsh, on 15 December 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

You can cheat the xp and cash a bit by loading 3 lrm 15 launchers on it and raining some pugs to death. <_< That's what I did when I first got it.

I did that too with 10 tons of ammo. That's why my D-DC still has Artemis. B)

#9 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

The DDC is the best atlas because it has ECM.

#10 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'm also a fan of the AS7-RS but all of them have merits (except the AS7-K which is awful).

#11 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

I love my Atlas D. It is a very nice close in brawler. Sure the DC had a third missile hard point, but I find the center torso medium lasers way to useful. When used with my arm lasers they can bring 20 points of pin point damage onto my target, and they are a life saver when I get both my left a and right torsos blown off.

I have used the DC as an effective long range support mech. ECM on an LRM boat is not a bad thing. With two ER large lasers backing up the missiles I can do allot of damage at range.

#12 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Here is my build for D-DC:

- STD 300
- 2x Large Lasers
- 2x Ultra AC/5 + 7 Tons of ammo
- 1x LRM15 + 2 Tons of ammo
- 12 DHS
- ECM

Not a mind blowing build I reckon, but very, very solid and effective. I love the Atlas, feels very powerful.

P.S. I am not completely sure about the ammo and DHS amount but is undergoing changes now.

#13 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I like your build...good and balanced build that can put the hurt on at all ranges though I would sugest that you keep it outside of 300m so that you can get out if things get to close you may have heat problems and your LRM15 is useless inside of 180 m...

#14 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostTuku, on 16 December 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

I like your build...good and balanced build that can put the hurt on at all ranges though I would sugest that you keep it outside of 300m so that you can get out if things get to close you may have heat problems and your LRM15 is useless inside of 180 m...

Tuku, this is true: 180 - 450 meters is very this build excels. I just found out that I can put Endo Steel and free 5 tons for ... something I haven't decided what yet, but most likely some rockets, so the all 3 rocket slots are in use.

Will post here once I do it - it should be an interesting build :)

Edited by VOHRIMENKO, 17 December 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#15 robodev1

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

Epic brawler D-DC

- STD 300
- x1 Large Laser
- x1 MPL
- x3 SRM6 x3 Tons ammo
- x2 LBX10s x4 Tons ammo
- ECM
- Endo
- DHS
- Almost full armor
- One DHS outside of engine

#16 Toryn767

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

I love the D-DC simply for how flexible it feels. You can go straight up brawler, long range LRM spam or a healthy mix.

Though I tend to lean away from mixing my ranges and run a couple of builds.

Brawler:
  • Endo
  • DHS
  • STD 350 +4 DHS
  • 3x SRM6
  • 1x AC20 or AC10 (Still on the fence)
  • 2x MLAS
  • 4x AC ammo in the legs, 1x in the RT
  • 4x SRM + case in the LT
Dropped armor on the legs all the way down to 57 - no one ever ever ever shoots an atlas in the legs.

Everything has its optimal under 270m but with the 350 you're moving at 57kmph before speed tweak. Get in their face and make them regret the day they ever thought about logging in.

The AC20/10 I cannot decide on - logically the AC10 is a great crit seeker and has far better damage per ton of ammo and gives you a little bit of flexibility on engagement ranges, but... its just not a 20dmg fist to the face. Dropping to the AC10 frees up a few tons for DHSs or re-armoring the legs but ultimately you dont need better heat dissipation or more armor in places no one will shoot, you need to hit the enemy team so hard they will question their own existence.

Use the lasers to drive off smaller mechs or as lagshield predictors for an AC20 shot. With 35 AC20 shots you can afford to be generous.

Fire Support:
  • Endo
  • DHS
  • STD300 +2 DHS
  • 2x MLAS
  • 1x Gauss
  • 3x LRM15
  • 6x LRM ammo
  • 4x Gauss
Leg armor 57 again. Infact take it even lower and shove a CASE in the RT - the gauss explodes at the drop of a hat these days.

With the new ECM 'bubble' you aren't simple to target - enemy PUGs will always focus the guy they can press R on, the giant fatlas murdering their friends with AC20 and SRM spam or 'bringing the rain' from 800M out will somehow become invisible. Its beautiful.

Also, never re-arm - rely on the 75% free ammo or youll never make any money.

Enjoy!

Edited by Toryn767, 17 December 2012 - 05:34 AM.

#17 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

What is the advantage of having 2xLBX10 over lets say AC/20 ? I never used it and somehow can't justify its weight over other ACs or SRM6 ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users