Best Full Laser/sniper Mech?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Uberterm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys,

I'm debating whether to get the hunchback with that crapload of laser hardpoints, the Awesome with 6laser-3missle-1AMS or go straight for an atlas.

Opinions?

#2 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Stalker, Cataphract, and the AS7-RS. just ignore the awesome because how much of a barn it is.

#3 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

hunchback 4s. lasers out the wazoo. as far as er large lasers go get an awesome. you can put two er large on one arm, two salvos to the dome and down she goes!

#4 Uberterm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

well when the awesome was free, even when ppc's were hard to aim, i still killed quite a few guys with him. if i were to go full ppc, who should i go with then?

Edited by Uberterm, 19 December 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#5 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

AWE-8Q with 4 LLAS and 3MLAS can put on a hell of a light show. STD 290 engine, 20 DHS, you can pop off a good amount.

Ignore the Awesome hate, a lot of it comes from a place of ignorance. Believe me, I used to do the same.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

D-DC with 2 LL + Gauss and ECM. They can't missile you back while you snipe. ;)

#7 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

PPC are not optimal for stalker, as they deprive from maximizing DHS slot.
4xLL, spead out on arms and torsos and complimentary shorter range lasers/missiles is better.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

Deffinitely the Awsome if you are going for the Assault option. OK. It is a Barn door and easy to hit up close... but as a back line sniper it is not your job to rush headlong into brawl situations. That said, it is way more mobile than a Stalker (small torso twist radius and absolutely no latteral Arm movement possible) or an Atlas (slower torso twist speed which is also a drawback for when you are being circled by lights).

If you are going for the Heavy Option, then Id recomend either a Cataphract or K2 Catapult. The Cataphract has the advantage, that the arms can move horizontally and the Catapult has the advantage, that you can use the arm Energy slots to shoot over obstacles whcih no other mech can shoot over. This allows you to protect your mech much better by standing further behind cover while still being able to shoot at the enemy.

If you want the Medium Mech Large laser/PPC boat, then your best bets are either the Hunchback or the Cicada.

If you want the Light mech Large Laser /PPC boat... dont.

#9 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

CTF-3D with with 2 ER PPC in torso and 2 LLAS in arms makes a pretty good sniper

#10 ImIooImI

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

IMHO
What a sniper? It's getting max DPS to the select point with a maximum distance! Isn't it?
LL can it? Yes, but with difficulty! He rarely has a single point, and often smearing damage! and the distance isn't maximal (((
ER LL - much better! Long distance but the same problem as at LL (smearing damage)
Pulse LL? This is better! It still smearing damage but for a smaller area! BUT distance soo close (((
So that only ER PPC (PPC)!!!
Best sniper (energy weapon) = max ALFA hit ER PPC + max space for heat sink!

Edited by ImIooImI, 20 December 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#11 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I heartily recommend the AS7-RS or the AS7-D as a long ranged mech. You can fit 2 large lasers, a gauss, and 2 LRM 15's w/ artemis + tag on them. Rarely have a game where I don't do at least 650 damage or so with it, and if anything is stupid enough to try to charge me, I can obliterate it.

#12 Palutena

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostUberterm, on 19 December 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Hey guys,

I'm debating whether to get the hunchback with that crapload of laser hardpoints, the Awesome with 6laser-3missle-1AMS or go straight for an atlas.

Opinions?

If your going full laser only the Atlas RS with 4 large lasers a 350 engine, 24 heat sinks is pretty good. The big advantage of this build is the lasers are in the arms so its easier to aim all 4 of them at the same spot. Downside is you have to expose yourself to shoot over hills with the arms being low. PPCs might be worth trying with the recent buff but I don't like them because of the minimum range and ER PPCs are too hot since I tried ER Large Lasers and they were too hot.

Now that repair and rearm is gone though mixing it up and adding missles and other weapons is better so something like Eisenhornes build is probably better overall. I am skeptical about LRM 15s with Artemis as the latest patch supposedly nerfed Artemis to be line of sight only.

The 3 large laser, 3 srm 4 awesome is pretty mean been on the receiving end of that.

Large Laser hunch back might not be so good. I had a founders hunchback with 2 large lasers and a medium and it was ok but had less heatsinks so you'd overheat faster.

Edited by Palutena, 20 December 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#13 Dabral

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

personally i would go with the hunchback 9 med laser build with dhs packs quite a punch at a decent range. I have tried it with 2 large lasers and a few med but just not enough punch for the slow cycle times along with the heat issues with that set up

#14 Donalbain

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I like my 4 Large Laser 1 SRM4 dragon with full DHS. Runs at about 90kph, which isn't bad for this set up. Lasers aren't really a long range sniping weapon, but they can do decent damage up to 500 meters. The main reason to go for them over ppcs or gauss is the fact that they don't leave you vulnerable in short range fights or when you need to deal with light mechs.

#15 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

The HBK-4P with 9 lasers packs a helluva punch at close range, but if you want to snipe, forget it. By the time you add LLAS or ERLLAS you max your tonnage fast.

#16 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've been having a lot of success with a stalker (any stalker, they can all do this) with a 300 STD, 20 double heatsinks, and 4x PPC's.

1.1 heat efficiency means you can fire quite a lot before overheating... I can alpha 3 times, with a brief overheat before I can fire again.

#17 Uberterm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Ok thnx for the feedback everyone! I think i've decided to go full sniper, so if i were to choose between an Awesome and an Atlas, and the configuration will provide me long range support but also close range fighting and will constantly bring in a positive cash flow from fights (I.E not having to re-supply a lot of ammunition)?

I prefer Awesome or Atlas. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

#18 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

Ressuply? You are aware that there are no more Repair&Rearm costs right??

So far the best sniper Ive tried was the twin Gauss Cat, it really kicks the llamas *** as they say....but you have to know your positioning and you have to know when to run away because you are fragile...still nothing quite brings a smile to my face like the thousands of sparks from a double-gauss impact on a mech torso...

I have tried the 4LL RS Atlas and I have to say that I dislike it...its not an efficient build by any means because you wont be able to fit the optimal ammount of DHS on your mech and will have both weight and criticals to spare. A 4LL RS with a Gaus rifle now that would be another matter and well worth exploring...

#19 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

What about a CPT-K2 with 2x ER Llas with 2x AC/10s or AC/5s? I have heard of successful AC10 or 5 builds on the K2 but haven't seen it in action. Some one post some of those builds up please?

#20 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostUberterm, on 21 December 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Ok thnx for the feedback everyone! I think i've decided to go full sniper, so if i were to choose between an Awesome and an Atlas, and the configuration will provide me long range support but also close range fighting and will constantly bring in a positive cash flow from fights (I.E not having to re-supply a lot of ammunition)?

I prefer Awesome or Atlas. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

OK... If you feel drawn back to a brawling Hunchback later, I saw an excellent beatdown by my teammate in the laser-hunchy. It had 5 kills and 1000 points damage by the end of the map (frozen city, conquest). I saw him quickly eat up lights and heavies alike just choosing what body parts to cleave off. Mostly he'd pick someone who wasn't moving enough and put a whole lot of focused hurt where it did the most harm. Two alphas and then step away to cool off or shoot smaller sets of lasers if he couldn't disengage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users