What Should Be Skill Priority For New Players?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Sickario

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

I'm sure it can vary by Mech role but I'm wondering if most new players would want to start with certain skills. For instance, would you go for Elite status first (once they change how we reach it) or would you go with the pilot modules first? While some of the efficiencies leading to Elite are fairly nice (Cool Run for 7.5% more heat dissipation seems decent, especially if you're using heat-intensive weapons), does 2.5% to your turning speed, twist amount, and twisting speed really going to make that much of a difference? Or 7.5% to your acceleration/deceleration (which isn't your top speed but how quickly you reach it)? Granted, the Elite efficiences themselves are pretty nice but until they make changes to reaching Elite, would it be better to concentrate on the pilot modules? Or are the Elite ones still better to get first?

I'm still a noob so I could be way off base but I've been thinking that for most new players, the Pilot modules may make the bigger difference, but that may also depend on your role. For instance, would most either want Radar Deprivation, or Advanced Zoom if they're snipers? If they're LRM heavy should they go with Target Decay ASAP? If they happen to have two Mech module slots I suppose they can get two, as soon as they can raise the millions of ComStar Bills for them, but if so should they get Advanced Zoom first because it's much cheaper or should they get Radar Deprivation because it can protect them better than most modules can? Or are any of these not as useful as I think they are?

What about after their first ones? If they're laser heavy should they go with Cool Shots first or should everyone work on their weapon range and/or cooldown? Or if they have AMS, should they get AMS overload first to help protect themselves better?

Or is there no basic formula and will it all depend almost entirely on what mech type/role they're starting with?

Edited by Mixtli, 11 January 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Welcome. Spend xp on mechs and gxp on modules, most valued modules are radar depreviaton and seismic sensor - adv zoom is imo more or less wortless - i wouldnt even consider it on my snipers. Wespon cooldown and range modules are also valueable.

Edited by B3R3ND, 11 January 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#3 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Getting those cooling skills can be decently noticeable on hotter mechs. The usual priorities are to get your first mechs elited or at least basic'd before you consider pilot skills, but with the changes that are going to be upon us soon.... It's up to you what you go for first. I personally get my basics at first just because you'll at least be on par with the rest of your opponents. I'll only really go after elite skills if I really like the mech. For pilot skills, radar deprivation is almost a must have. The ability to immediately go off radar by breaking line of sight will make it much easier to dodge LRMs, which have a lot of popularity at T5, and reposition if you're taking fire without giving away where you're going. Weapon cooldown modules are also useful, especially if your mech is quirked to a certain weapon (for example, the CN9-D gets a large base 40% bonus to the LBX-10 cooldown. With Elite skills and a fully leveled cooldown module, that goes up to an absurd 57% faster cooldown, cutting the reload down from 2.5 seconds to 1.425 seconds.). Range increases are usually only useful if you're boating one type of weapon, or if you're trying to get a secondary weapon that little bit of extra range to work well with a longer ranged primary weapon.

#4 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

View PostSickario, on 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

I'm sure it can vary by Mech role but I'm wondering if most new players would want to start with certain skills. For instance, would you go for Elite status first (once they change how we reach it) or would you go with the pilot modules first? While some of the efficiencies leading to Elite are fairly nice (Cool Run for 7.5% more heat dissipation seems decent, especially if you're using heat-intensive weapons), does 2.5% to your turning speed, twist amount, and twisting speed really going to make that much of a difference? Or 7.5% to your acceleration/deceleration (which isn't your top speed but how quickly you reach it)? Granted, the Elite efficiences themselves are pretty nice but until they make changes to reaching Elite, would it be better to concentrate on the pilot modules? Or are the Elite ones still better to get first?

I'm still a noob so I could be way off base but I've been thinking that for most new players, the Pilot modules may make the bigger difference, but that may also depend on your role. For instance, would most either want Radar Deprivation, or Advanced Zoom if they're snipers? If they're LRM heavy should they go with Target Decay ASAP? If they happen to have two Mech module slots I suppose they can get two, as soon as they can raise the millions of ComStar Bills for them, but if so should they get Advanced Zoom first because it's much cheaper or should they get Radar Deprivation because it can protect them better than most modules can? Or are any of these not as useful as I think they are?

What about after their first ones? If they're laser heavy should they go with Cool Shots first or should everyone work on their weapon range and/or cooldown? Or if they have AMS, should they get AMS overload first to help protect themselves better?

Or is there no basic formula and will it all depend almost entirely on what mech type/role they're starting with?

Problem is I think BOTH mech and pilot modules are going to be eliminated mayber by end of Feb 2017. Big difference between cool shots which is a one time cooling and cool down. Cool run may be a long term item. snipers would need target zoom to see the targets. With LRMs both Target Decy and Target Retention are good to have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users