Where can I find a GIANT model of a battle-mech?

24 replies to this topic

#1 McSniffles

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

Didn't really know what forum to ask in, but I just bought a house and it has this tile-decorated cutout in the great room where I believe the previous owner had a virgin Mary. I wish to put a giant battlemech and an ammo belt in that place now. Help me make this happen.

#2 Koshiro Wraith Michaels

• PipPip
  • Heishi
  • Heishi
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

Probably not out there. That said, you might be able to make it if you have some artistic skills. Depends if it's indoors or outdoors. If it's outside you may be out of luck.

#3 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

A few guys here make models out of foam, card, resin and stuff, try contacting them to see if they would either show you how to do it or accept a commission.

try a forum search in the fan art or off topic sections.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

-Striker

Edited by Striker1980, 31 May 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#4 Foerender

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Best bet would be to go to one of the Shops that sells things like Gundam or something, some of them will carry some Mechs from Robotech or other Anime. So it is possible to get maybe one of the "Unseen" mechs.

The last time I say a 155/1 scale MadCat was probably like 20 years ago though give or take (or maybe it was a Battle Master or something else?)

#5 WraithTR1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Armorcast made some for several years but they stopped several years ago. From what I've seen finding them somewhere else is pretty hard.
http://www.timdp.mem...net/battletech/

#6 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

There was once a 1/35 Mad Cat which was the largest scale model I know of. They are very hard to find now.

There are tons of 1/60 mechs semi avialable.

Warhammer and Rifleman on Ebay, Search for Macross 1/60 Destroid. They should be about $100. Excellent quality I own one of each.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e6d7dc796

Ravenstar Studio did 1/60 versions of Hunchback, Wolverine and Loki (maybe a couple others).
http://ravenstarstudios.blogspot.com/
He has stopped production but may have some left.

Armorcast, the ones that started it all for 1/60 mechs did Atlas, Vulture and MadCat. Sadly they lost their license when FASA was having issues and never got a new one from Catalyst Games. Their miniatures are available on Ebay rarely. They are top notch and exactly depict the artwork forms of those mechs.
http://www.timdp.mem...net/battletech/

The Bandai and Arii 1/72 scale plastic model kits, which are a little larger than the vinyl toys, will work for Valkyries and with additonal armor could probably be used as Phoenix Hawks. They also come in transformable versions for the LAM variants.

1/72 scale Armorered Valkyries can probably be used as Crusaders with some modification. I have one to play with but have not had time to work on it.

Takara Dougram and Revell Robotech Defenders Kits These kits were orignally released by Takara as part of their Dougram line. Most of them were later released by Revell in the US ad Robotech Defender kits. Interestingly enough the Takara and Revell kit engineering and mold designs are completely different, with the Revell kits being slightly smaller, but not enough to worry about.

Robotech 1/48 Commando is just the right size for Goliath

Robotech 1/48 Zoltek is perfect for Shadow Hawk

Robotech 1/48 Gartan is a good size for Thunderbolt

Robotech 1/48 Thoren is perfect for Griffin
(This kit is listed as 1/72 scale on the box, but is actually 1/48: 7+" tall)

Robotech 1/48 Talos is too large for Wolverine, but the head could perhaps be mounted on a Griffen body to make a Wolverine.

Robotech 1/48 Condar does not conform to any BattleTech Mechs

Macross 1/72 Glaug Commander's Pod is a perfect size for Marauder

Quote directly from Tim's page.

I will second that the Arii Glaug Officer's pod makes an excellent Marauder next to my Atlas.

The 1/48 Zoltek also makes an excellent Shadowhawk.

The 1/72 Veritechs are the right size for wasps or stingers, maybe even valkryies. But they still look very airplaneish. I wouldn't bother.

There are a few other 1/60 garage kits out there if you look. I hope thats a good start. I'll try to put up a scale pic of my mechs later today when I'm home.

edited typos

Edited by Ian, 31 May 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#7 Silverfang22

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 60 posts
  • LocationColorado, US

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

If you're willing to make your own (you could probably make one about as tall as you are for less than $100 but it would be a lot of work) you can try making some pepakura mechs. I found a big catalog of pepakura mech models here http://www.papercraf...ame-MechWarrior

Basically you can open that file in Pepakura designer, set whatever scale you want it to be (the bigger you make it, the more sheets of paper you're going to need, you'll need to use cardstock or similarly heavy paper). After you scale it to however big you want it (I don't remember how the scaling is done, haven't done any of this stuff for a while) you need to go to the right where it shows all those folds and stuff on virtual sheets of paper, organize each peace on them, each piece has folds on it to show you how to fold it up into something 3d in real life.

Biggest thing I ever did with the pepakura was Master Chief (halo)'s boot, it was 1:1 scale because I didn't realise I had to scale it (I'm such a dolt, how could I ever expect to wear it? xD) and man, that thing was BIG!

anyway, assuming you're going to fiber glass, resin, all that good stuff, don't worry about printing it out in color (if you get one that has camos on it or whatever) as you'll be painting the resin, adding pieces like nuts and bolts (if you want) etc. Otherwise you're going to have a somewhat flimsy battlemech that will get crumpled if anyone ever falls into it or something like that. (depending, of course, on how heavy of paper you get)

#8 HappyDumpling

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationElliot Lake, Canada

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thats exactly why i'm looking at picking up a 3D printer this summer. Look around for a 3D model online, then Bob's your uncle! Any size you want.

#9 PirateLincoln

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 152 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, USA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Off-topic, but surely there's at least one Heavy Gear fan on here that remembers the life-size Hunter that DP9 had built.

#10 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

There's also this guy who's currently selling a wonderful highlander, only one left too

http://reversedisabl...r-unveiled.html

#11 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Iron Wind Metals has museum scale metal replicas of the Timber Wolf, Vulture, Atlas and Zeus. You would have to paint them and assemble them yourself.

That's your best bet for immediate availability.

#12 RazNaRok

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGorzów Wielkopolski, Poland

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

U can find a classic MAD CAT from TT here:
TIMBY

Google for: Mech Papermodel, cardmodel, papercraft etc.
If u want a realy big models search for free EvA unit 00 and unit 01 from anime Evangelion
I'm prety sure those are still in net. (both vere over 1m high)

Evangelion Papercraft - EVA-00

Evangelion Papercraft - EVA-01

U can google too for Chromehounds papercraft or Front mission 4 papercraft...

Polish papercraft modelers site, have nice colection of links with free models:
Free Papercrafts to Print

Polish modeler Piotr Koper has done a nice model of:
Caterpillar P-5000 powerloader

Edited by RazNaRok, 27 October 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#13 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

If you're going the DIY route, this tutorial on scratchbuilding might help.

#14 jadef1

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

I had a chance to buy a life size elemental 8 years ago I wish I had

#15 scorpnoire

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts
  • LocationStuttgart/Germany

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Well, build it yourself? ;)
http://www.brickcommander.com
or see a few of my babies here:
http://s184263377.on...mechs/mechs.htm

Good luck.

#16 RMartinez

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Your only options are Armorcast stuff off ebay or find the Macross plastic models for the Phoenix Hawk, Stinger, Wasp, Rifleman, Longbow, Warhammer, or Marauder. I have some of the newer Hasegawa models of the veritechs that are the Phoenix Hawk and Stinger/Wasp, they are really good quality.

#17 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Here ya go!

Posted Image

#18 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Be a champ and make your own :D

#19 Tuvar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCharleston, WV

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

No, no, no, if you're replacing the Virgin Mary you have to go with Buddy Christ

Posted Image

Edited by Tuvar, 01 November 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#20 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

If you're swimming in money, find a sculptor and commission a bronze.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users