Srm 6 Wont Lock

70 replies to this topic

#1 Steel your Life

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

My LRM 10-20 always lock with no problem no matter how i group them. But i find my SRM-6's never lock on i have 3 of them on group 2 with an AC 20. I never get the targeting recticle?
Can anyone help?

Edited by Steel your Life, 15 December 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#2 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Standard SRM's have no lock on capability.Only Streak SRMs and LRM's lock on.Enemy ECM in the area also breaks/denies lock capability.

#3 Ogresan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

SRMs do not lock. They are dumb-fire in MWO.

#4 Steel your Life

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

well aint that some sh**?! I had no idea thanks people of earth!

#5 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

To add to potential confusion, there's also ssrms that do require lock on to fire, which is good for light hunting (when not affected by ecm) B)

#6 yashmack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

and for more clarification the SSRM means Streak SRM 2...

#7 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

SSRM2 = Streak Short Range Missile 2 (2 referring to 2 missiles per trigger pull, per launcher).

SSRM2 are the best weapon in the game, if you have a missile slot on a mech, put either NOTHING AT ALL or SSRM2. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying or stupid.

The ONLY, SINGLE, SOLE exception is the catapult A1 with 6xSRM6+Artemis. That guy is a beast and he will dumbfire one-shot-kill a LOT of mechs.

#8 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 15 December 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

SSRM2 = Streak Short Range Missile 2 (2 referring to 2 missiles per trigger pull, per launcher).

SSRM2 are the best weapon in the game, if you have a missile slot on a mech, put either NOTHING AT ALL or SSRM2. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying or stupid.

Yeah, until you run into a mech with ECM and all to half of your weapons are useless.

#9 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Which mech using SSRM2 loses "half" it's weapons to ECM? I can't think of anything besides the A1. SSRM are 1.5 tons each and even if you brought a full ton of ammo per launcher (which would be stupid, one ton per two launchers is PLENTY) then that's only 2.5 tons per missile hardpoint... Any awesome, any atlas, any centurion, any hunchback, any cataphract, any dragon, any catapult BESIDES the A1, any jenner, and any commando want to bring SSRM2s.

If you get ECM'd that sucks, but if your team has less ECM you lost anyways because the OTHER team brought streaks on their ECM boats (DDC/2D/3L all pack 2-3 streaks each) and you lose not because you can't use your streaks, but because the enemy CAN use theirs and you can't use yours. You'd lose with any SRM not just SSRM2s. Furthermore, if you aren't ECM'd or you have the ECM advantage, you'll crush.

#10 m0eeB

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

This thread is dangerously derailing into ECM ruined the game thread again.. :P SRM works as great repellant to those pesky ECM's and legs that light mech in no time. This gives those with SSRM chance to be outside the ECM range and still work their missiles about.

#11 Draxtier

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

Which weapons are best, and which mechs best utilize those weapon systems and counter measures are matters of opinion, on which there will be no end of conjecture. Taking the discussion in that direction is a waste of everyone's time.

The OP had a question. That question has been answered. Let's move on.

Edited by Draxtier, 15 December 2012 - 03:36 AM.

#12 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

This is caused by the improper use of the term "missile". Though historically a missile is anything with a ranged component (from arrows to musket balls) it's now considered a guided projectile.

SRM's are actually rockets, not "missiles." You can't really blame PGI for this, as all the weapons were named and classified back in the 80's with FASA's creation of Battletech.

It's basically an issue of etymology vs common use.

#13 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 15 December 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Which mech using SSRM2 loses "half" it's weapons to ECM? I can't think of anything besides the A1. SSRM are 1.5 tons each and even if you brought a full ton of ammo per launcher (which would be stupid, one ton per two launchers is PLENTY) then that's only 2.5 tons per missile hardpoint... Any awesome, any atlas, any centurion, any hunchback, any cataphract, any dragon, any catapult BESIDES the A1, any jenner, and any commando want to bring SSRM2s.

Well most of the lights can carry half of their firepower in streaks or depending on the build even all of it, 2 out of 4 catapults can do the same, and several other mechs can carry 2 or 3 missile weapons so yes losing half your firepower because of ECM is a real possibility. Also if you only need 25 shots per streak launcher you're better off not using them at all.
Considering SRM launchers give up to 3 times as much firepower per hardpoint you will want to bring some because even if you can't hit lights with it do you think an atlas can dodge missiles?

I'm fairly certain the Awesome 8Q, the Hunchback 4G and 4H, the Catapult K2 and the Jenner F have no missile hardpoints whatsoever. Because you know, I've actually used them. Also the Cataphract 2X and 4X are the only variants that have missile hardpoints,

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 15 December 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

If you get ECM'd that sucks, but if your team has less ECM you lost anyways because the OTHER team brought streaks on their ECM boats (DDC/2D/3L all pack 2-3 streaks each) and you lose not because you can't use your streaks, but because the enemy CAN use theirs and you can't use yours. You'd lose with any SRM not just SSRM2s. Furthermore, if you aren't ECM'd or you have the ECM advantage, you'll crush.

You don't lose because you can't use streaks, but because the enemy can and you can't? That's just brilliant, it's the exact same thing. With SRMs you'd at least be able to shoot and in a fight with anything that's not running at 140kph all the time you will do a lot of damage with them. The counter to ECM is not more ECM, it's weapons that don't need a lock to work, and TAG.

#14 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostDraxtier, on 15 December 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

Which weapons are best, and which mechs best utilize those weapon systems and counter measures are matters of opinion, on which there will be no end of conjecture. Taking the discussion in that direction is a waste of everyone's time.

The OP had a question. That question has been answered. Let's move on.

That sounds dangerously like saying "let's teach the controversy in schools" about evolution/creationism. Here in reality ECM+Streaks wins every game and I have a 10:1 win ratio to prove it. If I had my ideal group of 8 players and 8 mechs every game we literally would never lose because when that group assembles we do in fact literally never lose.

5xAtlas DDC, 3xRaven 3L. That is the *perfect* team. That team, assuming equal skill on both teams, will beat the team that is running not that.

ED: Dear saytan, have you got a team, would they like to scrim? I'll teach you a thing or two if you do, but I somehow know you don't...

Edited by Captain Midnight, 15 December 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#15 yashmack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

Im pretty sure an SRM is a missile
Missiles have fins and rockets do not
missiles are guided by their fins and powered by rocket motors
thats my interpretation anyway

from merriam webster:
Spoiler

Edited by yashmack, 15 December 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#16 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Well as the guy said it's etymology, an arrows is guided by the aim of it's user, but once the projectile leaves the bow it is no longer guided. Same with a bullet, it simply travels once fired. Missile has evolved to mean that once it has been fired it continues to adjust it's trajectory to hit the original target.

#17 The Jove

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

View Postyashmack, on 15 December 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Im pretty sure an SRM is a missile
Missiles have fins and rockets do not
missiles are guided by their fins and powered by rocket motors
thats my interpretation anyway

from merriam webster:
Spoiler

True, that's the dictionary definition. But actually, rockets can have fins! :P

Take for example the Hydra 70 rocket that you can fit on an AH-64D Apache Longbow or an A-10 Warthog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_70 . Another example from the US military would be the Zuni: http://en.wikipedia....i/Zuni_(rocket) .

Both the Hydra and the Zuni are actually folding-fin rockets, meaning that the fins are folded in when the missile is stored and the fins open when the missile is fired.

#18 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostThe Jove, on 15 December 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

True, that's the dictionary definition. But actually, rockets can have fins! :P

Take for example the Hydra 70 rocket that you can fit on an AH-64D Apache Longbow or an A-10 Warthog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_70 . Another example from the US military would be the Zuni: http://en.wikipedia....i/Zuni_(rocket) .

Both the Hydra and the Zuni are actually folding-fin rockets, meaning that the fins are folded in when the missile is stored and the fins open when the missile is fired.

Modern "rockets" are fin stabilized but lack guidance and control after launch. The difference between an Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) and rocket is nuanced, but very substantial. Rockets are currently incapable of defeating modern battle tanks, while missiles are extremely capable. The TOW Missile, Javalin Missile, and Hellfire Missile are three examples of NATO weaponry. Russia has their own examples. In each case, a guided version is called a "missile" and an unguided version is not. This includes the Ruchnoy Protivotankovyy Granatomyo 7 (RPG-7 or Hand Held Anti-Tank Grenade 7), which is fin stabilized but unguided.

Edited by S3dition, 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#19 The Jove

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostS3dition, on 15 December 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Modern "rockets" are fin stabilized but lack guidance and control after launch. The difference between an Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) and rocket is nuanced, but very substantial. Rockets are currently incapable of defeating modern battle tanks, while missiles are extremely capable. The TOW Missile, Javalin Missile, and Hellfire Missile are three examples of NATO weaponry. Russia has their own examples. In each case, a guided version is called a "missile" and an unguided version is not.

Yes! For example, if you put laser guidance on a Hydra, you get the Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System, http://en.wikipedia....l_Weapon_System. Notice how the same projectile (meaning it can have the same warhead, fuze and engine) is now called a laser-guided missile.

Edited by The Jove, 15 December 2012 - 04:25 AM.

#20 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

Long story short, and to put us back on topic, SSRM2 > any other missile, unless you have less ECM than they do, in which case you lost anyways thanks to the power of SSRM2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users