Non-Dakka Ctf-4X

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

So, like everyone else who bought a 4x, I tried all the dakka builds--quad AC2 and AC5, Ultras, combos, everything. I had two problems with those builds; if you carry enough ammo, you're hella slow and overheat like crazy. If you manage heat and match even Atlas speed, you run out of ammo 2 minutes in. So, I tried this one out. Still has some issues with heat if you're not careful (unless you're on Frozen City) but it's manageable and I've averaged over 700 damage and two kills so far.

The build:
STD 225 engine (52 kph :-P)
Endo and DHS

2 AC10, in the arms
2 MLAS in the CT
1 SRM4 in the head

1 ton SRM ammo in the legs, 6 tons AC10 ammo in the legs and torsos

Full armor (-1 slot in each leg for maximum armor efficiency) With only 15-20 on the rear (if they get behind you you're dead anyway!)

As many DHS as you can fit

It gets a 1.19 heat efficiency, which isn't bad for the amount of firepower you're lugging.

The strategy for this build is pretty simple: don't engage lights unless you're in a group, try to stick to an assault, lay down the hurt. With efficiencies unlocked, it can hold off one or two lights just fine, and it eats mediums for lunch, but it truly shines against other heavies and assaults. The accurate punch and maneuverability of the twin AC10s arm-mount lets you hit fast and hit hard. The only problem is, with lights especially, the weapon convergence issue. This is slightly alleviated by the new patch (fast AC-10 FTW!)

I set the MLAS and the SRM to the same fire group, since they have the same range and reticle; really helps when that atlas squares on you!

Last game I played, I killed a Centurion 1v1, then 1v1 cored an Atlas, then 1v1 cored an SRM Cat. I overheated a couple times because my fire discipline sucks when I see the armor stripped, and I died shortly after the last kill to a cicada (damn weapon convergence....)

I have even killed jenners and commandoes in this build, thanks to the new projectile speed upgrade. As someone who cut his teeth piloting lights, this is the first true Heavy build that Ive enjoyed and been successful in.

Let me know what you think, and I hope this inspires some more non-dakka 4X's!

--Hammerfinn

Edited by Hammerfinn, 19 December 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#2 PanicFire

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

Never had a problem overheating with my Dakka CTF-4X.

Though I did have the AC's split between two weapons groups and set to cycle through the guns vs. firing them all at once. I'll try and dig up my build later and post what I have.

While the enemy was in my sights, I'd hold down both the right and left mouse button. No problems at all with heat.

Edited by PanicFire, 20 December 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#3 merz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

i'm running 2 lbx10, 1 large pulse laser in the torso.. and an upgraded standard engine with 255 rating, i think..
it moves decently fast (i think up to 70 or so) with full armour, and the latest patch seems to have done something quite measurable to those LBX's because i hardly ever get to press fire without hearing 'CRITICAL' sound. Its ridiculously useful against faster lights after a few laser pulses where it just shreds their systems and crits bigger things within a few blasts. Sometimes just potshots into a brawl can result in several kills.

#4 Pootis meister

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm running 2 lbx10 as well. It's fun. Even though a double-shot at close range does 20 damage spread across one or more components, it makes a lot of noise and people get scared.

(At least, I like to think people get scared. I used to be scared of the lbx-10. That terrible clanking noise when it strikes criticals... shiver.)

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostPootis meister, on 20 December 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'm running 2 lbx10 as well. It's fun. Even though a double-shot at close range does 20 damage spread across one or more components, it makes a lot of noise and people get scared.

(At least, I like to think people get scared. I used to be scared of the lbx-10. That terrible clanking noise when it strikes criticals... shiver.)

Makes me wish the Ilya could use 2 LB10Xs and an AC/20. That would have been really sweet, but it's just way too heavy. I'll have to wait for a larger ballistics mech.

Still saving for a 255XL before I play with my 4X again. Best part about the 4X I think are the backup weapons in the CT and Head.

#6 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

View Postmerz, on 20 December 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

i'm running 2 lbx10, 1 large pulse laser in the torso (...)

Wouldn't you consiered 2 medium pulse lasers instead?The only disadvantage is much less range,but you gain overall greater damage (2x6 vs 10) which requires less tonnage (2x2 vs 7),a bit faster fire rate (3 s vs 3.25 s) ,as well as greater endurance for critical hits and destroying your weapons in CT (Two 1-slot items with 10 health each vs one 2-slot item with 10 health).And about that range,you fight with LBX in close anyway,so it isn't needed so much anyway in my opinion.

Edited by MasterBLB, 21 December 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#7 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

I run dual LB10x with a big XL in my Muromets; fast shotgun build, super fun, makes lights and Med's pop. But I have found that with the slower speed of the 4x, the AC-10s are much more dangerous. The problem with the LB10s in a slow mech is the damage spread; unless you're dealing with lights (which you shouldn't in something so clunky, unless you really have to) the pinpoint of the AC10s just does more damage.

Favorite moment in this build so far: ECM commando didn't notice me, single shot core; Flame decided to charge me, cored; K2 AC20 tried to get into range to hit me, cored; Stalker finally got me , but not before I stripped all the armor from his CT, and he got cored by a 4MG Raven (!). If I'd had the LB10s, that amount of concentrated damage is impossible; to be useful in something so ridiculously slow, the concentration of damage or the dps have to be very high.

Edited by Hammerfinn, 21 December 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#8 Virtusx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I did a fun build.

3 ac/2
1 GR

3 tons ammoAC/2
3 tons ammo GR
Need to reduce armor to fit but its not that bad.

Problem I found with it is it attracts attention, which you do not want in a slow heavy. Great for support and it does decent damage with the 6 pt shot if not chained and the GR firing for the bigger punch.

Currently running dual gauss, I gave up. Stuck a 245 std in it since I had it around.
Maybe I will try the Ac/10 build.

Edited by Virtusx, 21 December 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#9 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

I came up with this a while back:

2 AC/2 (1 in each arm)
1 LB-10x (arm of choice)
2 MPLs (center torso)
1 SSRM2 (head)
1 AMS

Stock STD 210 engine
Endosteel structure
DHS
Max armor with a bit taken out of legs.

It's a bit cobbled together, but it functions as a nice (if slow) all duty team support mech. The AC/2s are suppressive fire support, the LB-10x, lasers, and missiles are a great close range punch that work against lights, and together they add up to some really nice dps with decent heat efficiency. Follow the group, suppress snipers, bounce lights, and one you get close you can blow right through anything that isn't a close range Atlas.

Haven't used it in a while, so I'm not sure how suppressive the AC/2s would be, but I'm pretty sure it's still viable.

Edited by Gigastrike, 21 December 2012 - 10:39 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users