[Crash] Cryengine Error - How To Test For And Fix

13 replies to this topic

#1 Domush

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Link to original topic:

http://mwomercs.com/...st-for-and-fix/

I figured out why this was happening, and how to fix it. The cause is files which were corrupted by the patching process. The .pak files which host most of the game content are nothing but compressed files (like .zip files) with every piece on content, like trees, mechs, maps, etc. If a certain mech files get corrupt, any map you load where a player is running that mech will lead to a crash with a CryEngine read error. Here's how you test for, and fix, corrupt game files:

Download 7-zip (a free compression tool, like pkzip) and install it

- Browse to where the game directory is
For me, it's located at D:\Program Files (x86)\MWOnline\MechWarrior Online\Game
I think the default is C:\Games\MechWarrior Online\Game

You will note, the default location is not used by any other app or game, this is because PGI thinks it is special and doesn't adhere to industry standards for anything, which is why we're fixing such a simple issue ourselves instead of having an option to "repair install". A repair option is included in all standard MSI installers, but PGI doesn't adhere to standards, opting to reinvent yet another wheel, so we don't have a repair option.

So, on to fixing what PGI screwed up..

Select all of the .PAK files in the 'game' directory, then right click, select 7-zip, then select "test archive".

7-zip will then test all of the .pak files and report back with any corruptions. Any file with a corruption will need to be redownloaded. Some of these files are big (600MB+), so be prepared for a long download time.

For me, both the Objects.pak and FrozenCity_ig.pak files were corrupt. Your corruptions will vary.

If any files are reported as corrupt, here is the link to download them direct from the PGI server:

http://patcher.mwome...tion/live/Game/

NOTE: This is not a browsable link. You must have a direct link to each and every file. This means..

If you need Objects.pak, you must browse to this link: http://patcher.mwome...ame/Objects.pak

Once downloaded, replace the original Objects.pak with the new one.

Repeat this download/replace step for as many files as need replacing. Once finished, your game will no longer get a CryEngine error.

Now get back to mech war!

#2 tz lom

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

lol, I found that i have no Objects.pak at all ^_^
Please, can you post list of all files in this directory, may be i haven't got something else?

#3 Eldarstorm

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Yeah just happened to me.

Thanks for the fix.

#4 Elstar

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Dang I wish I saw this a few minutes ago. I started receiving the "Cryengine Error" right after todays update for "Server Maintenance". It was getting to the point where I could not connect to any game at all. So now I am in the process of performing a complete reinstall. If it continues I will give your tip a try. TY

#5 zaid

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Corrupt files. Every. Patch.

I don't understand why they still don't have an option to verify and replace corrupt files for an online game, when people have been having issues for months with corrupt files.

It really makes me wonder why they refuse to implement something so standard when they know their is an issue. How can we have faith they will correct other issues as they arise if they continue to ignore such a basic issue.

#6 Mechkilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thx for the fix. In my Objects.pak one file for the founder atlas was corrupted. Had 3 crashes this night. Looks like I was lucky that no one was using his founder atlas since the patch. And I am lucky that I have a fast line so that downloading 731MB wasn't painful (my group member has to wait for me after I crashed 2 times with him).

A few days before the patch I unzipped the Objects.pak without errors because I wanted to render one with blender (you can found more in the fan section for this).

#7 edward1245

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

man i cant play this i never and i loved this so why i dont do it

so what can i do?

its so angry

#8 Blacula

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationAnywhere But Alpine

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Use the MWO Repair Tool - http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/

#9 daen85

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

hello!
I also have a lot of Fread crashes the last 24hours

I tried to reinstall but had only 2 games then it started crashing again.

and with the MWO repair tool..... I can run it and it says its fixed, but when I check again, its not and want to download textures, objects & level pak again.
sometimes its ok in first check but in second it finds new and the same errors (even when I dont start the game)

I dont know what to do! tried newest nvidia driver today but no changes..

my windows 7 (64bit) is 100% up to date
framework @ 4.5
cpu: intel i7 930 @ 2.80
geforce gtx 480
12gb ram
av is kaspersky

sorry for bad english :-)

Edited by daen85, 07 June 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#10 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I get the Cryengine memory allocation error on a regular basis. I downloaded 7 zip and tested all my .pak files and found no errors ): Does this mean its something completely different? Was hoping for a fix.

#11 Luzilyo

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWherever the fight is

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

happens to me almost all the time. i've come up with another, more easy, less time consuming but a bit unsafe solution: just ignore the error-message, and, instead of closing it or clicking the 'ok-button', go back to the game. you can continue the match, just with minor sound and/or texture issues. however, if it happens a second time during the same match, it's still over. for some reason this method works only once per match.

edit: just tried the 7zip method. found no errors. so yeah.

edit2: read the original topic. my usual error-message is different. it doesn't say "FRead did not read expected number of byte from file, only 128 of 0 bytes read." but instead it says something like "memory allocation for 5327894789[extremely long random number] bytes failed." so yeah. two different problems with two different solutions i guess.

Edited by Luzilyo, 20 July 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#12 Midnite

• Pip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt / Germany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

well, yes, u could do that. BUT... it takes way longer than to do it manually, PLUS: It doesn't really help.

#13 Free Rasalhague

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

Just now i got the error this morning eearly this mornin. :angry:
and THIS RUSSLES MY GAMIES! MY GOSH first time.
ITS SO FREAKING ANNOYING TE ERROR IS ANNOYING!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

#14 Marty MechFry

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

I got this for the last couple of weeks... been downloading, reinstalling, keep getting this error... and if the game runs it runs ok but on a few maps the game hangs, or exits... kindly/please fix this because it's really annoying having to uninstall and reinstall mechwarrior... you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users