The Awesome, unfortunately

Almost irony.

#3 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

there is no such thing as a bad 'mech.

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 24 December 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#4 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

the general consensus is that Commando, Centurion, Dragon, and Awesome are a bit underpowered/lack survivability due to unfortunate size/hardpoint location.

#5 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

A 'mech is only ever as good (or bad, in this case) as its pilot.

Stick a good pilot in a "bad" 'mech and he'll do fine.
Stick a bad pilot in a "good" 'mech and he still won't do anything useful.

View PostMonky, on 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

the general consensus is that Commando, Centurion, Dragon, and Awesome are a bit underpowered/lack survivability due to unfortunate size/hardpoint location.

And it's a load of bovine manure, usually from people who don't pilot those chassis. I've seen them all win matches and do things no "underpowered" 'mech could ever do.

I've done great in all the Commandos I've played, and likewise in my Centurions. Just last night I set a new personal record in my CN9-A with 6 kills and 2 assists in one match.

Edited by stjobe, 24 December 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#6 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I only think there is one "bad" mech and that is the CPLT-A1. However, it isn't really a "bad" mech, it just forces you to depend on another player for TAG assistance if playing a truly support role (I do wish it had an energy hardpoint). If you are playing an SRM boat, it can be deadly. I don't see too many SSRM A1's on the field anymore due to ECM but it was a valid build as well though a lot of people cried about it...

However, I agree with others - there are no truly bad mechs, only low skill pilots.

#7 HRR Insanity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

View Poststjobe, on 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

A 'mech is only ever as good (or bad, in this case) as its pilot.

Stick a good pilot in a "bad" 'mech and he'll do fine.
Stick a bad pilot in a "good" 'mech and he still won't do anything useful.

A good pilot in a good 'Mech will be much more effective than a good pilot in a bad 'Mech.

And yes, there are bad 'Mechs.

#8 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Worst
Centurion and Dragon: both tend to have a disproportionate amount of firepower on 1 arm and are easily headshot.

Awesome: While never as bad as folks said with its more concentrated firepower and greater speed compared to the Awesome, I feel that the Stalker pretty much puts the Awesome to bed.

Honorable Mention
Commando: incredibly fragile; with ECM and streaks as they are, the ECM variant is actually pretty decent ATM, but both will probably see a nerf, and this one commando variant will go down with it.

Bad ATM
non-ECM scout mechs. We'll hope to see scout vs scout combat eventually boil down to more than merely who brought more ECM and streaks

#9 decman117

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUK, Manchester

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

With the right pilot and loadout, any mech can be good.

Although the worst customised mech I own is a 4 LL jenner.... goes 46kph

Edited by decman117, 24 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#10 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostHuntsman, on 24 December 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Worst
Centurion and Dragon: both tend to have a disproportionate amount of firepower on 1 arm and are easily headshot.

Awesome: While never as bad as folks said with its more concentrated firepower and greater speed compared to the Awesome, I feel that the Stalker pretty much puts the Awesome to bed.

Honorable Mention
Commando: incredibly fragile; with ECM and streaks as they are, the ECM variant is actually pretty decent ATM, but both will probably see a nerf, and this one commando variant will go down with it.

Bad ATM
non-ECM scout mechs. We'll hope to see scout vs scout combat eventually boil down to more than merely who brought more ECM and streaks

Commando with ECM is great for PUG matches. For 8 mans you go up against a 3L and die a horrible death.

#11 Willie Sauerland

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostHuntsman, on 24 December 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Worst

Honorable Mention

Bad ATM

1. The Awesome can go faster than 80kph. How fast are you getting your stalker to go?

2. The Commando is an awesome little mech. It is designed to be fragile because it can't support the weight of a 100 ton mech. This means you have to pick and choose what you are going to do with it carefully. In other words, I think it requires more skill to pilot than a larger mech.

3. Streaks and ECM are pretty uninteresting for light fights. A good light pilot worth his/her weight in MC has lasers. Due to a lack of collisions, you are seeing a lot of light mechs being piloted with current game mechanic "skillz". Once the collisions are back in, you will see truly frightening light pilots who really have the necessary skills to pilot their machines.

Edited by Willie Sauerland, 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#12 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

The worst mech is anything mounting machineguns or flamers.

#13 Willie Sauerland

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

View Postdecman117, on 24 December 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

With the right pilot and loadout, any mech can be good.

Although the worst customised mech I own is a 4 LL jenner.... goes 46kph

:ph34r:

Why would you do such a thing?

#14 decman117

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUK, Manchester

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostWillie Sauerland, on 24 December 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

:ph34r:

Why would you do such a thing?

to see if i could..
Worst spent 1mil C-bills ever
Never, EVER again.

#15 Orkimedes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

The non-ECM variants of the ravens and commando do tend to strike me as a bit of a 'poor choice', though I refrain from judging them for this choice.

#16 Martini Henrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationNottingham UK

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

None of the mentioned mechs are bad, they just support a different play style to the rest of the mechs. The dragon and cent are expert harassers and not brawlers.

Over reliance on arm weapons? Nah, I don't bother half the time opting for fewer weapons that I can fire without caring about heat. I love nipping around the back of slow or overheated mechs he he he

#17 Inappropriate1191

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'd have to say that awesomes, generally all of them, except the 9M, and the dragon 5N are the weakest mechs in the game. I have a 9M, and while it's a great harasser because it's an assault that can go 85 KPH, it's still outclassed by all mechs actually designed for the role. It also has a poor hardpoint layout, with 4 of its 10 hardpoints in the center torso, making it to where only 3 of its laser hardpoints will be used to maximum effect (As in, with large lasers and PPC). For harassment purposes, most lighter mechs are better suited, for boating, the Stalker, Catapult, and even the Atlas RS (Makes a mean large laser boat) are far better.
The dragon 5N is just weakest because it has 3 ballistic hardpoints, but not nearly enough tonnage to put any meaningful guns, plus a good rig on it (Dragons have to be fairly fast to be effective).

#18 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

The worst mech is anything mounting machineguns or flamers.

This is pretty much the only right answer to the OQ.

Hopefully after the MG buff comes through, the worst mech will be anything mounting flamers. If that could somehow get fixed, there would be no "worst" mech, just "worst" builds. We all know we can make them. The 5LL hunchback was not really that good, even if it did kill something from time to time. :ph34r:

#19 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

No such thing as a bad battlemech... bad mechwarrior on the other hand...

#20 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

The worst mechs are the ones that kill me or I cannot kill, obviously.

...I'm kidding. Agreed with those saying that different mechs are for different things. I used to think the Cicada was terrible, based on how it looks on paper. But in-game, it can be surprisingly difficult to hit with its speed and very narrow profile (both head/tail on and from the sides). I've seen them work quite well as harassers. Same goes for the Commando, it has a narrower profile than, say, the Raven. And I've watched (after I died) Dragon and Centurion pilots do quite well with those mechs, despite their smaller armament compared to a Cataphract or Hunchback, respectively. Have also seen Awesome pilots do quite well.

Granted, assuming equal skill and an equal situation (no terrain advantadges, no teammates), some mechs do come out on top in 1v1 situations. But how often does that happen?

Would like to add, that even a battlemech that evokes "wtf?" responses like the Charger (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger) still finds uses through variants and unconventional tactics. (of course if it showed up here, its default would be laughable since there is no melee in MWO)

Edited by Gralzeim, 24 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users