Any Love For The Hbk-4J ?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I am about ready to dump this HBK-4J. It seems to serve no role well. It all comes down to the missile slots.

1. 2x SRM6. Fine, but the -4SP does this better with no hunch to get blown off.

2. 2x SSRM2. Not bad for killing lights. But with ECM ravens it is worthless.

3. 2x LRM10. Very hard to use on most maps. And once you get within 180 meters, any other variant is better.

I will admit, it isn't all bad. Currently I have 2x LRM10 and if I can use them and melt with my 6 lasers i can get some big damage, but some games it just stinks.

Any suggestions?

#2 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

You pretty much have to go hardcore... LRM10s or 15s + Artemis, probably with a TAG in the torso. About the only thing the J will do better than the SP is LRMs, because it has a higher tube count than the SP does (20 vs. 12). This keeps your LRMs in a tight mass (instead of a steady but longer stream) to get more of them past AMS fire.

However, I ran into the problem that the HBK chassis, at only 50 tons, is a little bit light for a serious missile boat. You can get the two LRM10s, but start to run into ammo problems if you like to spam a lot, and there's little room left over for lasers and heat sinks as backup weapons. It could be better in a team setting, but then so would a lot of mechs. LRMs are somewhat subpar at this point in the metagame environment... best avoided unless you just happen to be a fan of them.

Only other thing I've found to do with it is a PPC in the hunch, and two large lasers on the arms. But the P does this even better, with the PPC resting higher up to snipe over hills with.

Hence why I sold my J for an H. And I even sold my H after unlocking master skills! I think the best two HBK variants are the SP and the P, hands down. The H is ok if you really like a big ballistic option.

#3 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thinking of selling this mech too. Been using it as my lrm toy. But there's way too much firepower out now for it to be effective. Actually most of my hunchbacks are not being played atm.

#4 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I turn it into a fast missile boat. Up it's speed, keep a low laser count, two lrm 10's with a bunch of ammo. Just keep mobile and be ready to book it. Obviously not as boaty as some others, but that is the point of a medium mech. Jack of all trades and all that.
Oh, and run it instead of the 4sp for the higher tube count, as has been suggested before. Does better damage that way.

Edited by ZnSeventeen, 26 December 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#5 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

std260 engine (max engine, max speed for hunchie 84+ something before speed tweak)
2x LRM10 + Artemis
TAG
BAP
Fill rest with Small Lasers
can't check now but i think the build needed FF / ENDO / DHS as well

use this a close-in support and always alpha your LRM10s (stay 200-300M away from target) and TAG targets yourself..

ECM lights is too fast to catch... ECM DDCs is a sitting duck as artemis + TAG bonus stacking..

BAP allows for quick locks to catch ECM DDCs.

This loadout will kill anything from Medium & Up / but is not good against lights...

Std260 allows you to run quick to relocate or even spar with a few lights (that is where the small lasers come in)...

another favorite tactic i use is start at LRM range and TAG center torso and quickly close-in (you have the speed) once CT is opened up by LRM fire finish them off with several alpha strikes from your 5 x small lasers (that's 5 x 3 dmg = 15 dmg = gauss rifle)...

a lot of people underestimate and don't like the 4J, this works to your advantage as they don't expect a fast close support mech as most incorrectly load them up with ridiculous LRM15/LRM20s that make them very slow...

LRM hunchie is OP :P

#6 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I've been wondering which HBK variant to get besides my SP and my P, and the J seemed fine at first glance. LRM+Artemis and Tag of course, but also I was wondering if I could outfit it with Large Lasers.

I might hold on and wait for a Hero variant...

#7 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I stick an LRM 20 on it with medium lasers.

Enough to defend itself at short range if you can't get a lock.

#8 Loqgar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

The HBK-4J is my favorite mech and has been for several patches 2xSRM6+artimis. I think the -4J does it better then the -4SP, and yes, I own both.

#9 Grifthin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

The 4J is my favourite hunchie because of the versatility. I go Dual LRM10 and the rest all med lasers. basically stick to my assaults - fling missiles at medium/heavies untill I run out. Then I start lasering. You can go single LRM20 for same tonnage and lower heat, but once or twice I've had a LRM blown off and I like the redundency of being able to keep firing even if i lose 1.

Even with 400 Ping my average damage is still 300-700 per match. That's not bad at all.

#10 Kef

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMunich / Tamar-March

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

4J=

STD260

2 x SSRM
4 x ML
1 x AMS

92 km/h (Master), Scouthunter.
Dont hunt the ECM-Ravens/Commandos, it´s not your job.
Hunt the Single-Heavy-/Assaults.

#11 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostRyft, on 26 December 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

However, I ran into the problem that the HBK chassis, at only 50 tons, is a little bit light for a serious missile boat. You can get the two LRM10s, but start to run into ammo problems if you like to spam a lot, and there's little room left over for lasers and heat sinks as backup weapons.

Used as a LRM defender/lobber the HBK-J is pretty good. 2 LRM-10s for low-heat, and ammo savings on chainfire. ECM limits indirect fire anyways, so 2t ammo isn't as much of a problem.

#12 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

I've been running my 4SP with 250STD, TAG, 4MLAS and 2xLRM10s for a bit now and I'm loving it. I don't see why you couldn't run a similar set-up on the 4J (except with the more prominent weak point of the hunch.)

Like an above poster said, I might double down on the missile aspect. Try and find the biggest missile pile you can toss while still rocking a faster engine (250 is best for DHS efficiency.)

With TAG and a speedy engine, you can wreck fools. Just make sure to fire your missiles no further than 500m or so. I find any longer and even Grandma with her bad hip can stumble into cover by the time the rain starts. Use that quick Medium speed to skirt along the edge of a brawl and chuck missiles in.

#13 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostLoqgar, on 26 December 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

The HBK-4J is my favorite mech and has been for several patches 2xSRM6+artimis. I think the -4J does it better then the -4SP, and yes, I own both.

What?!? Now that's just crazy talk.

#14 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

I run mine with 250STD, 18DHS, 6xMLas + 2xLRM5. I own a classic SRM 4-SP, so I wanted something different for the J variant.

The LRMs are for medium range, mostly against lights (or used to be, before ECM). 6MLas are actually quite powerful, you can fire them often and you're quite fast - good skirmisher build with pinpoint damage.

#15 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

250STD, Endo, 5 Medium Pulses, 19 DSHS; The Alt-Swayback

#16 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Its a bad 4SP. Its only advantage is the 2x 10 tube launchers which allow you to launch 2x LRM10 volleys at once while the 4SP just has 2x 6 tubes.

#17 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I've seen several Hunchback pilots put a T.A.G. in the head. They stated that running x2 SRM6, 5 medium lasers, and T.A.G. allowed them to supply help for their SRMs, their team's LRMs, and control heat (one less medium laser that produces heat).

Something to try out I guess ...

#18 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

If they ever add in medium range missiles, the 4J will get a big boost. MRM20 will have a nice kick to it against slower targets.

#19 tommidelarosa

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostMycrus, on 26 December 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

std260 engine (max engine, max speed for hunchie 84+ something before speed tweak)
2x LRM10 + Artemis
TAG
BAP
Fill rest with Small Lasers
can't check now but i think the build needed FF / ENDO / DHS as well

use this a close-in support and always alpha your LRM10s (stay 200-300M away from target) and TAG targets yourself..

ECM lights is too fast to catch... ECM DDCs is a sitting duck as artemis + TAG bonus stacking..

BAP allows for quick locks to catch ECM DDCs.

This loadout will kill anything from Medium & Up / but is not good against lights...

Std260 allows you to run quick to relocate or even spar with a few lights (that is where the small lasers come in)...

another favorite tactic i use is start at LRM range and TAG center torso and quickly close-in (you have the speed) once CT is opened up by LRM fire finish them off with several alpha strikes from your 5 x small lasers (that's 5 x 3 dmg = 15 dmg = gauss rifle)...

a lot of people underestimate and don't like the 4J, this works to your advantage as they don't expect a fast close support mech as most incorrectly load them up with ridiculous LRM15/LRM20s that make them very slow...

LRM hunchie is OP :ph34r:

i am reading through this since i own a 4J and your build suggestion definitely worked for me. i am not a good player (i am still figuring out how to kill a mech ;)), borderline noob actually, but your post showed great improvement on my team contribution.

but i still wish i bought a 4SP as my first mech though...

thanks!

#20 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

The 4J has been my favorite hunchback for months.
I pack 2x srm-6 and 6x small lasers or 2x ssrm and 6x ML, with at least 18 dhs and endo.
Personally I feel LRMs are better done with other mechs.
If I'm going to run an LRM boat, I'm going with at least volleys of 35.
It was a lot better when I could run the 300 XL in it, but even with a 260 or 255 it still gets the job done.
Always try to run with an assault or heavy, when they turn to shoot your allies get in their rear and take them down fast.
Protect your hunch by putting the non-hunch side of your mech towards fire when not shooting.
Always balance out your back side armor too, standard hunchbacks seem about 4 points low in the rear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users