Ok Assaults, Step Up!

104 replies to this topic

#1 TheGunBunny

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm getting really tired of assaults hiding in the back of the group. You are the ASSAULT mech, go assault. Love in spectator mode where you are in a stalker that hasn't taking ANY damage and is 700 meters from the front line with no LRMs in his load out. You can take a little bit of damage unlike us Dragons and hunchbacks. GET in there.

#2 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Done!

#3 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I made a post like this a few months ago and people claimed I was playing wrong. Some people are just scared to die in a virtual world as if it matters.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

If Assaults could actually tank damage then what youre suggesting might work... right now Assaults basically have to cling to cover because they get no lag shielding and their torso sections are huge which makes coring them very easy. Worse yet is light mechs can absorb way more punishment than any Assault mech thanks to lagshielding and ecm. Lights can often run past an entire enemy team, get shot at by all of them, and run away with only yellow armor. Ironically its actually better to "evasion tank" with lights. Send your lights in first to distract the enemy then have everyone else push over while theyre distracted...

The problem is MWO uses tabletop armor values which are based on random hit locations. In tabletop your center torso is only supposed to get hit 20% of the time. But in MWO your center torso gets hit way more often than 20% of the time (probably more like 60% of the time) which means the tabletop armor values used in MWO end up being very inadequate for protecting your center torso.

Edited by Khobai, 06 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#5 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Location123 Sesame Street

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 06 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

I made a post like this a few months ago and people claimed I was playing wrong. Some people are just scared to die in a virtual world as if it matters.

But...but...there's no respawns! :)

#6 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I think a lot of assault pilots, are new people, who bought with their 'startup" C-bills bonus the heaviest mech they could find, so they can stay alive longer, but sadly, it won't make them better pilots.

but...Assault LRM boating is another viable tactic, if you cram your assault mech full with LRM20's you can create some real havoc on the front line.....but when there are assault brawlers covered by ECM on the opposing team it can become a little bit nasty on the frontline...

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostTheGunBunny, on 06 January 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I'm getting really tired of assaults hiding in the back of the group. You are the ASSAULT mech, go assault. Love in spectator mode where you are in a stalker that hasn't taking ANY damage and is 700 meters from the front line with no LRMs in his load out. You can take a little bit of damage unlike us Dragons and hunchbacks. GET in there.

So... Why on Earth did I put Gauss and ERPPCs on if I didn't want to soften you up at 900M away? If I kill you at that range I am still Assaulting you!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 06 January 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#8 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Group? What group? All I ever see is folks speeding off into the distance to look for a 1v1 (and then get slaughtered, of course, by focused fire.) I'm in the back because I'm the slowest mech with the longest range.

The "ASSAULT" moniker is just that--a moniker, not a description of required usage.
=H=

#9 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

No thanks. I'll wait for YOU to find all the ECM cloaked campers/pre-made wolf packs. My assault is slow anyway.

#10 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Leave assaults ALONE!

Posted Image

#11 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

View PostKain, on 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I think a lot of assault pilots, are new people, who bought with their 'startup" C-bills bonus the heaviest mech they could find, so they can stay alive longer, but sadly, it won't make them better pilots.

but...Assault LRM boating is another viable tactic, if you cram your assault mech full with LRM20's you can create some real havoc on the front line.....but when there are assault brawlers covered by ECM on the opposing team it can become a little bit nasty on the frontline...

You make it sound like having assault-brawlers-cloaked-in-ECM on the opposing team is a rare thing instead of EVERY match.

#12 TheGunBunny

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

The people that run off to gung-ho the enemy are missing the point also, SUPPORT your assault. But when the enemy is sighted and the 2 stalkers and an atlas pull back and they are all med laser and close ranged stuff, go make some havac. Us littler guys will take your lead and pore fire into whatever you do.

#13 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Unless you're an Awesome. In which case you'll get cored within a minute of frontline combat :)

#14 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Unless you're an Awesome. In which case you'll get cored within a minute of frontline combat

Thats every assault mech. Even atlases get cored very quickly under concentrated fire. Assault mechs are crappy at assaulting in MWO.

#15 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostKhobai, on 06 January 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Thats every assault mech. Even atlases get cored very quickly under concentrated fire. Assault mechs are crappy at assaulting in MWO.

Glad I'm not alone.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Dont get me wrong im not saying assault mechs are bad. theyre quite good actually. All im saying is that theyre terrible at assaulting. The main advantage of assault mechs is actually their ability to mount multiple long-range weapons like large lasers, uac/5s, etc... in addition to still being able to pack a short range punch with SRMs. But when it comes to actually soaking damage and being able to attack a fortified enemy position, theyre AWFUL at it.

#17 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

They need support, too. I usually play this game as an assault mech wingman.

So, in addition to the TS call:

MEDIUMS, to their flanks! But...slghtly behind them. *gg* :)

#18 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 06 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

So... Why on Earth did I put Gauss and ERPPCs on if I didn't want to soften you up at 900M away? If I kill you at that range I am still Assaulting you!

Nobody really minds if you're in the back... as long as you deal a lot of damage! If you're way in the back during a brawl, that means you've made it far easier for the enemy to focus fire your teammates to death. So now you have to output the damage for yourself and for that fallen teammate who would otherwise be alive if you were taking a portion of the damage. If you're in the back, but racking up kills with sniper-like aim, then, okay, but I would seriously expect 500+ damage dealt since you will live longer and maintain a more constant damage output. If not, join the brawl next time. Those ER PPCs and Guass Rifles still do damage at short range, and your armor will absorb damage that would otherwise have killed your teammates.

#19 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

It aggravates me to no end when all the friendly assaults are chilling near the starting area. Leaving a couple of heavies to deal with all of the other teams assaults who are actually leading an assault.

I can see the need for 1 or 2 mechs staying back as support boats, but 3+? ****

#20 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Fast movers sow confusion and create some targeting chaos. Once this is accomplished the heavies and assaults can move in. The best is for the assaults at this point to push to the forefront and allow the quicker heavies to float through the gaps. Light mechs obviously continue to do what they do.

To be fair OP, It's you who is doing it wrong. RT armor is pathetic, assaults can't protect their back, and are huge targets easily shot up by even the worst players.

Edited by SJ SCP Wolf, 06 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users