How Many Shots Do You Take Before You Shoot Back At A Teamkiller?

92 replies to this topic

Poll: Teamkilling Poll (277 member(s) have cast votes)

How many shots before you retaliate?

1. Just one. (37 votes [13.36%])

Percentage of vote: 13.36%

2. Two (141 votes [50.90%])

Percentage of vote: 50.90%

3. Three (57 votes [20.58%])

Percentage of vote: 20.58%

4. I am a teamkiller (10 votes [3.61%])

Percentage of vote: 3.61%

5. I just disconnect from the game (1 votes [0.36%])

Percentage of vote: 0.36%

6. I do nothing (31 votes [11.19%])

Percentage of vote: 11.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

The second shot usually gets me to shoot back with the equivalent of what was shot at me, unless they hit me with something big. Once when I was levelling my Raven-4X an Atlas shot me in the back with an AC20 at spawn, so I returned fire... With MY AC20.

#22 Rogallaig

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Part of the problem is that friendly fire at the start of matches can be caused by people running MWO in windowed mode. Typically they start a match in windowed mode and then do something else until the countdown timer finishes. When they click back to the MWO window, the game interprets that as a "fire 1" button click. And if the user has all weapons configured to "1", you end up with an Alpha Strike hitting the rear torso of a friendly mech.

On the other hand, I've also seen plenty of deliberate griefers who proceed to attack anyone they can out of spite/boredom/griefing.

#23 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Varies by situation and context... but typically twice will result in my retaliating. Once is enough if I'm facing the source and it appears obvious.

#24 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Misfire happens.Frequently.Sometimes i am more scared of my team than the opposing one.

But if someone shoots on purpose regardless whether me or a teammember i will immediately unload all weapons
till he is dead.

Happened just three days ago - twice.

"I backstab Teammates for Lulz" was too obvious anyway.

#25 Ptom

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 January 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

The second shot usually gets me to shoot back with the equivalent of what was shot at me, unless they hit me with something big. Once when I was levelling my Raven-4X an Atlas shot me in the back with an AC20 at spawn, so I returned fire... With MY AC20.

Raven with ac20?

Your build, can I has? Deciding between this and a 6 ppc stalker right now. :D

#26 kragmoor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 111 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

depends on the context, if there are enemies in the area and you hit my side or something I won't care, accidents happen man. but if you wrap around a ******* corner 15 seconds into the match and attack me when there is no possible way any enemies could be anywhere in the area, you sir are getting an alpha strike in the center torso.

#27 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I took 4 shots, first 2 where in back just thought it was a noob but I moved to a position so I would not be shot. Then I get shot a 3rd time in back and he had to move in a round about way to get behind me again. So at this point I turned arounf to ask him way and he fires a 4 time, did not ask why at this point I just hit \. A 90 point alpha strike at point blank was a 1 shot kill, unfortunately it's the only time I've ever had a 1 shot kill. :D

#28 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

However many it takes to keep him the tkd one instead of me.

#29 Runesword

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I have only tk'ed 4 people so far, 2 in heat of battle, not much ya can do when they walk in front of ya when you pull the trigger. the other 2 was at spawn, first time friend and i was walking out and the guy opened up on my friends atlas's legs, told him to stop fireing on friendlys and he turned and fired on me, after that there was not much left to that dragon when 2 close range atlas's opened up. 2nd time at spawn, was trying out a stock stalker, so was sitting at the spawn redoing the fire control, and this catfh opened up on me with ac2's in the back, i turned and gave him a love tap with one of the lasers. he fired again, was kind of suprised that he was still doing it and he fired at least 2 voleys, he ended up taken out a couple of weapons (was still trying to get the weapon grouping right at this time) so i just fired everything i had left and took him out. then after that, the entire match he was crying that i tk'ed him.

now if it happens, (nice it hasent happened as much now) me and my friends will fire a warning shot over there head, if they dont understand that then we strip em and leave em.

Granted i understand that a mistake can happen, i.e. hitting wrong key and such, so that is why we do the warning shots first now.

#30 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Three. Then if the player is not moving I'll alpha strike them to the head. That usually takes care of them. And I'll gladly incur the penalty.

#31 Weirdjedi

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I do nothing. There are still plenty of people who are playing this game for the first time. Some are still surprised to hear about a tutorial video, or at least they find a lecture in a video to be rather boring than entering into battle and experimenting.

Everyone I know takes great pride in retaliation against friendly fire. Even before the dev post, I never liked it. Purposeful or not, I don't want to lose another mech in battle. Besides, I've seen quite a long list of oddly registered teamkills. LRM fire, lag, netcode, and don't forget the huge one - mechs wrapping around as they collide with one another.

I've only seen two intentional teamkills, both from disgruntled players upset about the game in one form or another.

#32 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

#33 Sedit

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

team killers are like base cappers and need to be put down.

#34 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

i don't shoot back :0

i have fraps running most times,
so if it does ever happen to me (it hasn't yet, must be playing at the wrong times lol)
support will get a nice video with a time stamp

Edited by Demoned, 07 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#35 meatbag

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I do not tolorate it.

There is NO reason for a freindly to shot me, exspecialy at the begining of the game...

#36 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 07 January 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

missing option for 0. preemptive attacks are the best

View Postsuperteds, on 07 January 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

normally just leg them and leave them to get murdered.

Posted Image

#37 Moonsavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAylesbury, UK

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I do not retaliate, that's what they want you to do.

#38 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 07 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

An obligatory thread drop; the Official In-Game Griefing thread.

If someone is teamkilling, then report them to support@mwomercs.com and let the in-game logs back your story up. Please include the names of players and the Mechs involved, the time/date of the match, the map, a description of the event, and a screenshot if possible.

Counter-griefing is frowned-upon by the Devs/Staff. When you have no repair to worry about, then you won't lose much by dying. In fact, by staying in the game and not firing back you won't lose any XP or C-Bills, your account stays clear, and your accusation of Griefing will carry more weight. You'll also have time to ask your teammates to report the same user with the in-game chat. Multiple reports that are confirmed by game logs are good.

Killing a team-shooter and not reporting him is less than ideal because their account will not be affected. You can't just shoot a griefer and expect that to make them stop griefing; you're probably not going to make them See the Light.

Prosperity I respect you and I respect the mods of this forum, and I respect the rules, which is why I feel I can say that what the op is discussing is reasonably with in the bounds of legal behaviour.

Team Killing Abuse
Team Killing is a deviant result of the Friendly Fire mechanic, which increases the strategic importance of location and coordination in fighting. Accidental Friendly Fire is expected. However, we will not be tolerating players who repeatedly abuse this mechanic to grief their team-mates by killing them. Please refrain from retaliating against somebody who may have accidentally shot you due to a bug or confusion.

Few people are advocating preemptive strikes or accidental shot retaliations and those that are are in fact advocating the violation of the rules, however the letter of the law is that you should not retaliate against accidental FF. I deeply agree with that as the intent of the rule is to avoid griefing and unnecessary escalation.

However the wording (and derived intent) is not that you should passively turn the other cheek to an intentional aggressor in a wargame, it would be both unreasonable and irrational to ask or expect that. I am fully of the opinion that the letter of the law supports defending yourself in incidents of intentional FF so long as you then report them.

Edited by Agent of Change, 07 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#39 ApathyZer0

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostDemoned, on 07 January 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

i don't shoot back :0

i have fraps running most times,
so if it does ever happen to me (it hasn't yet, must be playing at the wrong times lol)
support will get a nice video with a time stamp

I'm in the same boat, I sent a video to PGI not too long ago with footage of a teammate intentionally killing friendlies. Got a response within 48 hours.

#40 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 07 January 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

missing option for 0. preemptive attacks are the best

If they didnt want to die, they shouldnt have been weaker than me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users