#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi Everyone!

Q&A Ask The Devs 30 will represent a change to our formula. Now, you’ll ask question as always - however, we will take the five best questions and answer them, in large, essay-like format. This will take place every two weeks, instead of weekly.

We think this new method will provide more in-depth answers, and give us more time to provide great answers.

So please, ask away!

#2 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hey!

Q) Would a pilot become limited when he/she chooses to fight for a specific faction?

For example; I am currently playing with a group of friends in Hammer[ed] Tactical Contracting, a merc corp. Say we (as a merc group) decided on different factions. What limitations would we run into? Could we still carry out contracted missions as a "Merc Corps" having different members belong to different factions?

Q) How will ELO factor into Community Warfare?

Perhaps you could expand on what I was thinking! For example, is the highest player obtainable position within "Faction X" reserved for the highest ELO rank among the "Faction X" aligned members? Or, is that rank reserved for the most active player who contributes the most "Loyalty Points"? How would higher ranked ELO matches factor into the quantity of "Loyalty Points" recieved (IE; Faction X is at war with Faction Y and neutral with Faction Z. Faction X wins a higher ELO ranked match against Faction Y. Would the total loyalty points gained be more than if Faction X defeated Faction Z?)?

The easier question(s) IMO.

Q) When can we expect to see the first "Clan" concept art? No example needed. I want to drool, I have a towel prepped at all times just in case.

Q) Can you walk us through the steps of mech' implementation from beginning to end? Where does an official mech' come from? What are the obstacles associated with mech' choice and design? What does a mech' go through trying to make it into the game? Put us in your shoes when it comes to designing a mech' and implementing it into MWO.

Edited by Pando, 11 January 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#3 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

just because this has popped up repeatedly in the clan section of the forums, what is your best guess on how omni mechs will be handled when they are introduced?

also just as a personal question, are you guys looking at ways to buff BAP? and if so, what are said ways?

#4 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

What criteria do you use to judge which questions are the best?

#5 Techusn

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Is ECM going to be reworked in the coming future? If so when and how?

#6 GreatBeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Why on earth would you pick the Spider, a mech whos gimmick is relying on jumpjets and meleeing people in the back, when both of its core mechanics are terrible or nonexistent in MWO?

#7 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Welcome back. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday vacation. :)

My questions are in regards to ECM. It is a game changer, however I and some others feel it is too much of a game changer. Many mech builds are centered around countering ECM. Builds are consisting of mostly lasers, AC and SRM. This is making the game become a brawl-fest, due to the lack of indirect fire support. ECM is currently concealing the LRM and SSRM issue, in which should be addressed separately. That being said on to the questions:
  • How are you going about gathering data concerning ECM?
  • Would you mind sharing any results?
  • Are there any proposed changes coming towards it?

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 09 January 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#8 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Where is DirectX11?

#9 Gregory Owen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

this sounds like a horrible idea, allowing you guys to be even lazier in your relaying of information to us.

we need more information more often, not less questions, longer answers, and doubling the wait time.

you guys are starting to fail. i put in application with you guys yesterday and received an immediate not hiring for beta testers. while you guys complain to us that your current in-house beta testers are "burnt out"

#10 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostGregory Owen, on 08 January 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

this sounds like a horrible idea, allowing you guys to be even lazier in your relaying of information to us.

we need more information more often, not less questions, longer answers, and doubling the wait time.

you guys are starting to fail. i put in application with you guys yesterday and received an immediate not hiring for beta testers. while you guys complain to us that your current in-house beta testers are "burnt out"

Wonderful attitude. I can't place my finger on why they didn't hire you!

**EDIT**

I have this to share with you.

http://www.youtube.c...34E5PK2I#t=358s

Edited by Pando, 09 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#11 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

WHY the spider over the JAVELIN!??! The Javelin has several canon variants fitting the timeline, and has far more to offer the community than the spider does unless you buff the everloving hell outta flamers/machineguns.

#12 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Question 0 is about your definition of "best". Does best mean the one most liked by the community or is it still just the ones you feel like answering?

Question 1 is about ECM)
How was it considered balanced to introduce a 1.5 ton 2 slot piece of equipment that does all of the following?:

i) Counters Artemis
ii) Counters BAP
iii) Counters TAG bonuses and the whole system inside of 180m
iv) Counters NARC - a system which weighs more and requires real skill and teamwork to use
v) Counters other ECMs
vi) Destroys LRM locks (absent holding a TAG laser on a potentially lag shielded mech)
vii) Destroys SSRM locks (absent holding a TAG laser on a potentially lag shielded mech)
viii) Ruins information sharing via minimap
ix) Scrambles HUD display of enemies
x) is a better AMS than AMS itself
xi) Requires no exploding ammo
xii) Generates no heat
xiii) Costs less than a much less useful module by a factor of 15
xiv) Doesn't use up a weapon hardpoint

Going by tonnage and critical space the ECM should be about as useful as a small laser plus a regular heatsink.
Or a medium laser and a little armor,
Or an AMS and a ton of ammo
etc.

Here's a link to the existing unanswered question from 'ask the devs' 29:
http://mwomercs.com/...70#entry1598770
And another to the same in 'ask the devs' 29A:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1640301

The former question has 230 likes at last count, while the latter has another 94, and neither have been addressed yet.

Question 2 is about game outcome statistics versus number of ECMs on each team:
Put simply, are the outcomes measured here representative of the current state of the game? If not, how far off were my results?
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1709146

tl:dr I gathered enough match outcome data that with >99.999% confidence (statistical not subjective) I can say that ECM superiority is a predictor of victory. Also I can say with >97% confidence that a team with more ECMs is at least 2x more likely to win than the team with less.

Edited by Tolkien, 08 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#13 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Never give up Tolkien, never surrender,

#14 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'll have to post later, so that I may think of a question worthy of an in-depth response. Or just come back and edit this one.

-Edited to reflect the actual question on page 17.

Edited by Ryvucz, 14 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#15 Gregory Owen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

as a beta tester, i provide an unbiased opinion, i'm here to try to provide feedback on fixing issues before a program goes gold.

the biggest complaint i see right now is the lack of communication, and now they're limiting the amount of questions answered and how often they will be answered..

i don't want to see a paragraph answer on some stupid off topic question like what your dogs favorite food is or what you guys do in your free time. this needs to be professional and to the point. CLEAR COMMUNICATION.

cherry picking answers like this just looks sloppy. they should go throgh the entire thread and give brief answers for EVERY question.

#16 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

There has been a lot of debate about what the next mech is going to be.

Are you planning on adding a mech to fill each of the weight classes (ie for mediums 40t, 45t, 50t, 55t)?

#17 Mazgazine1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

How is the Clan tech going to be introduced. It is 100% superior to everything currently available. Will there be a steep change to the price of clan tech? will current mechs get a "clan upgrade" option?

Also with how much damage UAC5's do, how are you going to deal with an ultra Ac 20?

#18 Dawnthieve

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostWizard Steve, on 08 January 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Never give up Tolkien, never surrender,

And why should he? He asks for information on the most controversial topic in the game for now, while backing his (implicit) assumption that it's NOT balanced with facts right away. It's a pity (or should I say a shot to the DEVs own knee) that this repeat has to happen at all.

Oh and on topic: How come you didn't discuss ECM already, or, to be more vague and leave you more room to answer, why was there total silence on the topic for so long?

Edited by Dawnthieve, 08 January 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#19 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

WHEN will terrain begin to change mech speed? Going uphill should reduce it accordingly and going downhill maybe give a little boost so mechs can use terrain more strategically? Also water/swamp reducing speeds but increasing heat dispersal would be nice. Give us more tactical terrain!

#20 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

What was the reasoning behind not implementing the Hunchback HBK-4N Variant. It is around during the time frame. It differentiates itself from the other hunchbacks by not only having Energy and Ballistic hard points or Energy and Missile hard points but by having all 3: energy, ballistic and missile. This would be a fantastic unit to have, so why isn't it in the game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users