Thread Tags -- Bad Colour Scheme

13 replies to this topic

#1 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

The "POV", "NaB", and bug-numbered thread tags -- those that have white text with a bright yellow background -- are very difficult to read.

Never put bright text against a bright background. It's hard to read. It's hard on the eyes. It's just plain bad design.

With white text, use darker / duller colours for background. A dull, muted Yellow might be OK. Better still, a darker Orange.

Edited by ltwally, 09 January 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#2 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I noted that these tags are using the class "ipsBadge_lightgrey", which is located:
http://static.mwomer....css?ipbv=32052

I set my browser to change the background for "ipsBadge_lightgrey" to #696969. Suddenly, it looks like the grey that the class name suggests... and it's actually legible!

#3 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

View Postltwally, on 09 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

The "POV", "NaB", and bug-numbered thread tags -- those that have white text with a bright yellow background -- are very difficult to read.

Never put bright text against a bright background. It's hard to read. It's hard on the eyes. It's just plain bad design.

With white text, use darker / duller colours for background. A dull, muted Yellow might be OK. Better still, a darker Orange.

When you tell someone what to do, you're using the nagging paternal instincts. Instead of commanding and scolding someone, try bringing up the suggestion in a more positive method. The former method is more prone to being ignored (wouldn't you do likewise?) and the latter might get the issue better addressed.

#4 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 10 January 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

When you tell someone what to do, you're using the nagging paternal instincts. Instead of commanding and scolding someone, try bringing up the suggestion in a more positive method. The former method is more prone to being ignored (wouldn't you do likewise?) and the latter might get the issue better addressed.

Your welcome to feel as you do. Your unlooked for advice smacks of arrogant youth. Instead of nagging, you might try going elsewhere. Now get off my lawn before I take the garden hose after you.

Bad is bad. And putting white text in front of bright yellow background is bad. Any beginning web programmer should know better than doing that. You can cry "jelly-coat it !!" all you want, but it doesn't make it an any less obvious mistake on their part.

#5 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postltwally, on 10 January 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Your welcome to feel as you do. Your unlooked for advice smacks of arrogant youth. Instead of nagging, you might try going elsewhere. Now get off my lawn before I take the garden hose after you.

Bad is bad. And putting white text in front of bright yellow background is bad. Any beginning web programmer should know better than doing that. You can cry "jelly-coat it !!" all you want, but it doesn't make it an any less obvious mistake on their part.

If you call 34 'youth', sure.

Funny cause you took offense to how abrupt and rude I was with you, never realizing that this was the exact same thing you were doing to the designer. In other words, you pass judgement on others while feeling you don't have to adhere to the same guidelines; we call this hypocrisy.

And programming has nothing to do with design. A programmer focuses on function, not form. A designer does vice versa.

Also, you misspelled 'you're' multiple times. Just for clarification 'your' is possessive (Is that yours?) and 'You're' is an abbreviation for 'You are'.

#6 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 10 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

If you call 34 'youth', sure.

Funny cause you took offense to how abrupt and rude I was with you, never realizing that this was the exact same thing you were doing to the designer. In other words, you pass judgement on others while feeling you don't have to adhere to the same guidelines; we call this hypocrisy.

Yawwwn

And programming has nothing to do with design. A programmer focuses on function, not form. A designer does vice versa.

Doesn't matter whose decision it was. It was a bad one, and it needs to be corrected.

Also, you misspelled 'you're' multiple times. Just for clarification 'your' is possessive (Is that yours?) and 'You're' is an abbreviation for 'You are'.

Get a life.

#7 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

When you're done crusading against 'wrong' people on the internet, a screenshot would be most excellent and best way to show off what you have an issue with. Your words are not enough™.

#8 Deadfire

Snow Summoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Posted Image

So as you can see we have here a Screenshot. Contained in the Red Squares are the POV tag in question, and the CSS for the tag text. As already stated in so many words that weren't needed. It is requested that we remove the "a.ipsbadge" style from the css.

Thank you

Edited by Deadfire, 11 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#9 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Actually, the offending class is "ipsBadge_lightgrey", which sets the POV background to bright yellow/orange. Simply changing that colour to something darker would fix things nicely.

Thank you.

#10 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yes, please adjust the background under the text. The transparency effect is cool and all, but it is hard to read. I find the orange on the light areas of background as hard to read as the grey sometimes. I marked some areas of both.

Posted Image

Edited by KitK, 14 January 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#11 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Mine are different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Pando, 14 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#12 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

I get a screen that looks like that too, but on a different computer. I wonder if it has something to do with the version of browser?

Edited for incoherent sentence structure.

Edited by KitK, 15 January 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#13 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostIronbar Sinister, on 15 January 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think you could really benefit from this article, pay special attention to Wheaton's Law.

http://lifehacker.co...ing-like-a-jerk

Good read.

Might I suggest you read it, too?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users