Cockpits And Internal Power. What Do You Use?

3 replies to this topic

#1 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I've got the wiring and diagramming of the paper layouts for my cockpit made or ready to be mocked up. What i don't have is a power supply for the lights and fans. I was thinking of running the LED internal lights [the ones for illuminating like your over head room light does or lamps in the corner] and panel indicator lights from a wall adapter and the fans from another wall adapter Those two adapters are on a power strip. When the first toggle of three is thrown on i have the beat up laptop running autokey say "Reactor Online". This provides power to the whole cockpit.

Anyone have any methods they used to power their pod/pit that was not just a PC in a box with some joysticks on rails with a chair? I'm looking for the enthusiast that has added extra features that draw power.

Thanks guys!
SteelWolf
Edit: Do you run a 12v wall adapter for the LEDs/fans? Did you wire yours using the 5v USBs? Is your fan just a 120v strait wall fan? Things like that.

Edited by ORIGINAL SteelWolf, 02 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#2 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

how about an extra computer power supply?

#3 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well, my pits not enclosed and I don't currently have any externally powered items in it, but a nice power strip for 120v (with internal 15A breaker) is the route I will go for main power, and for DC power after that there are many ways. Computer power supply was already mentioned, but there are other ways too. Something like a 12v motorcycle battery/BatterTender Jr can be wired to your 12v items, and any number of wallworts could be used so long as they are within specs of your draw. When my pit is finished, it will have a discretely located powerstrip and a few wallworts of appropriate voltage/amperage, and I plan on having at least 1 cigarette plug outlet in there as well.

#4 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. Gives me a couple of ideas. Still looking for more ideas too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users