Razer Artemis No More?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxy Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationEast of Seattle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

I don't think there was any mention of the Razer ARTEMIS at CES 2013, so it may be safe to assume that it was vaporware.

Did anyone else see/hear of any updated info on the ARTEMIS, just in case I missed it?

#2 Scar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

You don't need it, really. Bad, non-ergonomic and uneffective design.

#3 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hi there - moved this topic to the hardware & peripherals section, where it feels more comfortable :D

#4 Galaxy Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationEast of Seattle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostScar, on 15 January 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Yep, never had a thought that I would want it.

I just remember a thread a few months back where someone was almost getting angry at me for suggesting that it might never become a real product.

#5 willrnlds

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

How many patches does it take to add analog steering? How many months? How difficult are joystick deadzones and sensitivity curves? Something tells me that this is more PGI's undoing than Razer's. Maybe it's the lack of any progress with controller support or news on such caused them to cease development. There was one developer's questions post on this forum recently where they said they were "still hacking away at it". Great, so that means you'll maybe have something sort of working sometime. And full support for multiple controllers and analog axis, probably never.

Welcome to having controls that fall somewhere on the scale between Mechwarrior 1 and 2. When was 2 released? 1995? It's been 18 years, and you can't provide as smooth of control input to your mech as you could then. Digital steering??? Really?!?!

Cryengine only supports Xinput. "XInput supports only "next generation" controllers. This limits it basically to controllers for the Xbox 360 that also have Windows drivers. Legacy Windows controllers, joysticks and generalized force-feedback devices are not supported." (wikipedia)

Maybe support for USB peripherals should have been higher on the priority list for choosing a game engine? I did a 5 second google on cryengine joystick/usb controller support and it seems pretty obvious that it's a limitation. Did nobody have a requirements list when picking a game engine?

I feel super bad for all the founders talking up joystick support and their enthusiasm if you search for all the threads from last summer on this topic. The optimism about how it was going to be the first thing fixed once CLOSED beta starts, etc.

I just wish someone in the know would give an honest, actual update about how much effort has gone into fixing it, what the challenges are, how those challenges are being met, and what current expectations are, because all we have right now is the verbal diarrhea I crapped out at the beginning of this post. Bitching, whining and speculation.

Edited by willrnlds, 16 January 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#6 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Would have been nice to have a good Joystick support but the design was not that handy and KB+Mouse is excellent plus doesnt be a burden to the finances so i feel i will never use a Joystick on the game.

#7 GriefHard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

MWO was presented as a "Mech Simulation Game". Therefore we all took "Simulation Controls" for granted.
I really feel, that at least analog steering should come to the game ASAP! That is something that just really needs to be in that game.
I am really no programmer, but I hope there are some things possible for this game, yet. Razer will probably not develop that piece of hardware for a game, where it is not fully supported. At the moment - even with various tweaking programs - it is not a good choice to replace your mouse with a joystick...

But they could make the mouse so damn unprecise, that it is better to use a joystick, instead. If you can't make the one thing working, make the working think "not working" :D

#8 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postwillrnlds, on 16 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Cryengine only supports Xinput. "XInput supports only "next generation" controllers. This limits it basically to controllers for the Xbox 360 that also have Windows drivers. Legacy Windows controllers, joysticks and generalized force-feedback devices are not supported." (wikipedia)

Hmmm...

http://freesdk.cryde...DKDOC4/CryInput

Looks like there is a way to get the job done, that is readily available.

#9 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostElddar, on 15 January 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yep, never had a thought that I would want it.

I just remember a thread a few months back where someone was almost getting angry at me for suggesting that it might never become a real product.

Same happened to me. When the MW:O forums first launched, I said that PGI would be hard pressed to launch the finished game before December 2012.

Still waiting

Plus, I think they'll have to reset the timeline to 3025 so they don't have to worry about any other clan tech than that found in Wolf's Dragoons.

#10 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 19 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Same happened to me. When the MW:O forums first launched, I said that PGI would be hard pressed to launch the finished game before December 2012.

Still waiting

Plus, I think they'll have to reset the timeline to 3025 so they don't have to worry about any other clan tech than that found in Wolf's Dragoons.

At this rate they'll have to reset the timeline back a year just so the Clan can invade at a time when the game can support them correctly. At the current "improvement" rate, the Clan will have to be told, "Ah, hey, sorry to have to ask this, but... could you like... wait a bit? We're not ready for you yet."

As far as the Artemis, it may now be vaporware, it may not. Keep in mind that the overall feeling of the playerbase could be descibed as, on average, somewhere in the vicinity of "frustrated" - and the folks at Razer who put the Artemis project together are MW players from way back, enough that they got this experiment to the prototype stage - before PGI did with MWO. Point being, that if those people are still part of the MWO playerbase, then chances are they're frustrated with PGI, not just as customers but as business partners - and could be waiting for PGI to be worth making a licensed product.

Which is pretty much just a theory, but frankly the fact that Aremis was a no-show this year at CES doesn't mean a whole lot, but it could mean something. Just my two cents.

Of course, had they shown the Artemis off again, Razer would've been in the rather unenviable postion of explaining why they were showing off a year-old unfinished project WITHOUT badmouthing PGI. More than anything, I think that's why the Razer Artemis was a no-show at CES.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 19 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#11 Archtype

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

for those waiting for the razer artemis, I highly suggest just skipping the wait and picking up a logitech g13, The built-in joystick provides excellent analog emulation and the programmable keys are unbeatable.

Edited by Archtype, 22 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#12 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

I wouldn't buy either, personally. The Artemis is probably vaporware, and the G13 is a copy of the Razer nostromo, which itself is just a rebranded Belkin. The one thing they all have in common: They hurt my hand to high heck.

I can't see driving a scout with that thing. . Iono. . . :lol:

#13 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostScar, on 15 January 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Sounds like most of razers products.

#14 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

View PostSen, on 23 January 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I wouldn't buy either, personally. The Artemis is probably vaporware, and the G13 is a copy of the Razer nostromo, which itself is just a rebranded Belkin. The one thing they all have in common: They hurt my hand to high heck.

I can't see driving a scout with that thing. . Iono. . . :D

That's quite amusing considering the G13 came first. Quite difficult to copy something which doesn't yet exist. :D

View PostArchtype, on 22 January 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

for those waiting for the razer artemis, I highly suggest just skipping the wait and picking up a logitech g13, The built-in joystick provides excellent analog emulation and the programmable keys are unbeatable.

As someone who owns a G13 I'm rather confused how you think the thumbstick is "excellent", unless that's a euphimism for useless - in which case I agree. Otherwise no so much. But the number of keys is unbeatable, and I dig the ability to have various apps on my G13's screen, since I'm currently stuck on single monitor setup.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 25 January 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#15 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

How many patches does it take to add analog steering? How many months? How difficult are joystick deadzones and sensitivity curves?

The problem is nothing to do with detecting analogue input, the problem is that the engine / netcode is only coded to use digital turning (ie the client and server only communicate "turning" or "not turning".

ng, whining and speculation.

View PostCyBerkut, on 17 January 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Hmmm...

http://freesdk.cryde...DKDOC4/CryInput

Looks like there is a way to get the job done, that is readily available.

Any joystick that is recognised by windows can be made to work with MWO using my Universal Joystick Remapper.

Edited by evilC, 25 January 2013 - 06:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users