Trash This Mech Or Fix It.

19 replies to this topic

#1 S H O G U N

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Spiders are just as worthless as the trees in the game. Sure they are fast, but jenners and commandos, and Ravens are jsut as/or faster then the spider. The spider has nothing for armor or hardpoints to put anything on. I have sank 16 million C-bills into every loadout you can think of for all the variants of this mech and nothing comes close to making me say, "Yea this will work, a group needs a mech like this." Other then the crazy amounts of Jump Jets on it and spinning around in the air Spiders have no use, or any reason for why a player would want to pilot them.

These mech really need a buff in hard points for loadouts, or the Developers can just throw these out with tuesdays trash.

#2 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I don't know man, match after match with those little buggers has me wanting to buy some. They seem to have a bigger role on the battlefield than their tiny stature and wussie loadouts would suggest. Gonna go spider hunting in my Trollmando before committing, but I've already seen enough done with them when played right to not dismiss them as a species...

#3 ParasiteX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hardpoints are fine. The high maneuverability more than makes up for that. Plus MGs are gettin a buff soon as well. So those 4 ballistic points on the K, will be allot more useful.

The problem is the netcode. As it's near impossible to hit any lights with a Spider atm..

But once the netcode is fixed, i see a bright future with the Spider.

#4 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

The Spider is exactly what the other lite mechs SHOULD be like. Fast and no threat to larger more armored mechs with a much heavier weapon loadout. Yet for some reason (mostly due to lag) the others are OP as heck.

#5 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostLoc Nar, on 16 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I don't know man, match after match with those little buggers has me wanting to buy some. They seem to have a bigger role on the battlefield than their tiny stature and wussie loadouts would suggest. Gonna go spider hunting in my Trollmando before committing, but I've already seen enough done with them when played right to not dismiss them as a species...

I wound up losing a Conquest last night because while most of my teammates were running around "Spider hunting" (in heavies and assaults, no less - they managed to obliterate one,) the rest of the opponents were running around capping stuff. And then... cute irony, the friendly blob walked away from Theta (Frozen,) and the OTHER ENEMY SPIDER capped it for free.

I'm sure this will normalise as the Spider goes from novelty to regular Streak-bait, but right now... hot slag.

#6 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Not sure... I find them annoying even in my ECM raven. As they are agile and very jumpy, it's not that easy to get a streak lock and have a clear hit unless the spider's pilot is silly enough to dogfight a streak+ML raven with 2 MG instead of turning and jumping like a flea to make me lose lock. Without missile hardpoint they are also technically immune to ECM, unlike some commandos and ravens, for example. If they pack a punch? Of course not, spiders aren't the heavy hitters of the light class. Foresee many a good spider being great silent scouts or back stabbers though. With PPC.

#7 Seravos

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I've only recently started piloting the ballistic based spider and these are the problems I have most. My average damage at the end of a round in the spider is 85-120 so far.

-Legs take fall damage far too easily, even from the smallest of falls. This is made worse by the high speed of the mech, I strongly think that fall damage calculation needs adjusting. Different and more complex calculations based on weight class would be great.

-For some reason people friendly fire spiders more than other light mechs. Please people, stop firing, or turn the lasers away, and watch for blue vs red. If there are 4 larger mechs and two lights are chasing an enemy light, leave the lights alone and go after the larger mechs. Know your role!

-I don't expect to do significant damage to the larger mechs but the current MG damage can be pretty weak even against light mechs in particular laser/ssrm based lights, hoping the MG buff to come helps this.

#8 Revo13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't take them out!

I simply enjoy smashing the little bugs!

#9 Iambehindyou

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have already grinded out the 4 ballistic load out version (5k)of the spider (averaged a whopping 20 to 120dmg per match). While fun, it was pretty much worthless for the most part. The machine guns and flamers most definitely need a slight buff. I am now grinding the 5V version which is even more worthless because the hardpoint lasers are on the torso ffs. So, two useless arms just dangling away with no purpose. I pray the ecm version is better when I get to it. But, I'm sure the streak/ssrm ravens and in some small cases even the commando's will still own it just like they are owning the versions I have played already. So, unless you just like randomly exploring maps without being a real use to your team, I suggest not playing this mech. I will stick to my commando or do what every other light player does and grind the already op and too often used raven.

#10 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Too soon to make a decision about Spiders. Give the damn things a few weeks to blend in before making rash decisions.

#11 Iambehindyou

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I finally have the ecm variant (5D) spider grinded out. It is the only acceptable version of the spider to play. The ecm does give it some ability to survive. I actually enjoy playing it. That is, I enjoy playing it until I run into a ecm version commando or raven with streak missiles. In those cases, it just gets flat out owned. I wish they would add just one missile hardpoint to it so that way it stands a better chance against the other lights. But, all-in-all not a totally horrible build like the other two variants.

#12 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yes SSRM are OP. We've know that for a long time now B) Too bad they're only viable on ECM (or I should say ECCM) equipped mechs now.

#13 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

SSECRM

#14 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostRegrets, on 23 January 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

SSECRM

Streak Short Electronic Counter Range Missiles? Sound awesome, somebody should tell Paul ASAP! B)

#15 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm not so sure, I was in a Mission a few days ago and the other side had four of them; they were hunting as a pack and took my Atlas and one of the Awesomes from our lance out very quickly. We even tried covering each other.

#16 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostOppresor, on 23 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm not so sure, I was in a Mission a few days ago and the other side had four of them; they were hunting as a pack and took my Atlas and one of the Awesomes from our lance out very quickly. We even tried covering each other.

ECM + SSRM on fast mechs is far too powerful today. Everyone knows it. There's a rather large debate about how to fix it going on right now (in the community). Also, the devs are adding stack rewind technology to the servers.

Stack rewind allows the server to understand what you thought you were shooting at as opposed to what you're shooting at after lag has made you miss. This will help immensely with using lasers vs fast mechs if it is done correctly.

#17 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Spider, the roof top assasin.

Watch a guy use the roof tops to great effect in a spider. He was pretty good at using his mechs strengths.

#18 S H O G U N

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

this Mech still needs a larger variety when it comes to weapons and have some hard points moved, but it didnt really become fun and useful to play until you can unlock speed tweek with the largest XL255 in it to make it go 151.5 KPH. Then things started to turn around and you can outrun commandos and ravens. All in all this mech really needs some help to keep up with firepower of the other mechs.

#19 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Seems like everyone hates the Spider. I like it.

I think i have a fine 5D and 5K..my 5V needs work but in a premade I feel it can do well. The 5V with the 12 JJ and an ER LL is my rooftop assassin.

Here is my 5K loadout:
Center torso: XL235+ speed-Tweak: 139.5kph
Med. Laser
UAC ammo
Armor:20/12
Left & Right Torso:
Armor:15/12
Left Arm: Armor 13
Right Arm: UAC/5
Armor: 20
Left & Right Leg: Armor:16
Head: UAC ammo
Armor:9

The Xl235 needs one heat sink, so pick a spot. Upgrades are just the Endo steel Chasis. I dropped all the JJ. 160 total armor.
50 shots with the UAC, so you have to get behind those larger mechs and core them out.
Yes you can poke holes in the build, but in the premade groups I've been in the 300+ range for damage. When they decide to change the MG damage I have another build that would work to save UAC ammo, but it is not so good at the moment.
Craming the biggest engine in the spider, for me, is not the way to go. You do have to run to the ECM every so often to drop missle lock or get out of site an power down. If your looking to give someone a spider bite, this build will do it. I'm by no means saying I am an expert but when the UAC doesnt jam after every shot, you can put the hurt on some people. Most of them are very unhappy when you kill them too...the lag shield flame comes pretty quick..but as the build shows I don't hit the KPH cap.

Edited by Evax, 23 January 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#20 gilliam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

I miss the jump jet maneuverability of MW2 and MW3.
Get a spider that can actually perform aerial acrobatics, and you got somethin' scary there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users