Wtfast Supposedly Compatible With Mwo Now ?

Gameplay

17 replies to this topic

#1 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

Before anyone askes... No I do not work for them or am I advertising.
The MWO's game servers are in Canada so, latency generally sucks for people living outside NA.
I figure there are many interested parties on the improving latency to MWO.

I had the requesting WTFast to support MWO since 2013 and according to today's spam email from them.. They finally do support MWO with their latest BETA client.

--

Basically WTFast is a gaming proxy that automatically redirects network from game client to it gaming optimised VPN. The problem with it in the past was.. Every time you try to use it, click play... It tries to connect to a match but instead crashes back to mechlab with your mech apparently DCed.

Need to see whether it works now.. But honestly I probably don't need to use WTFast any more since I already have the best latency I possibility get in south east asia.

--

http://www.wtfast.com

WTFast Beta 4.0 Now Live!!!!
It has been a very long time, but well worth the wait. We are really excited to announce the release of our new WTFast Beta 4.0 build. Why is this new build so amazing? This new build enables support for many games that we have been unable to support until now! For example, our new Beta build should now work with:Battlefield series and other FPS games, MechWarrior Online... and any other game you might have had technical problems with in the past. We recommend giving our Beta a try, it is possible to run it beside the regular version of WTFast so you can easily switch back and forth.

Important: While our new beta will now support more games, some of these games will have IP mismatch problems with our server automation logic that we need to work out. Because of this, we recommend that you manually pick WTFast servers for these problem games. We recommend:
  • With single server connections, manually picking a single server close to the game server.
  • With multi-server connections, leave "Select Optimal WTFast Server 1" (don't change), manually pick Server 2 close to the game server you will play on.
You can get the WTFast 4.0 Beta here (look for the seperate link on the download page):

Edited by ShinVector, 09 May 2015 - 07:05 AM.

#2 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

Ok after my initial testing using the FREE option.

Good:
Yes. It works.

Bad:
For my case. It doesn't improve the connection.
It is understandable because my current connection already has some of the best latency in SG.
Hard to improve it.

However... Others who have bad ping might have more success with it.

#3 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostShinVector, on 09 May 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Good:
Yes. It works.

Bad:
It is understandable because my current connection already has some of the best latency in SG.
Hard to improve it.

Still crashing back to mechlab like it did last time i tried it, unfortunately they don't give support for a subscription that's not paid up

Edited by FatYak, 09 May 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#4 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:26 PM

View PostFatYak, on 09 May 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

Still crashing back to mechlab like it did last time i tried it, unfortunately they don't give support for a subscription that's not paid up

Which version are you using.
Must be using Beta 4.0 NOT 3.5. Need to click the link and install the correct version.
https://download.wtf...uct/wtfast_beta
Main download Page: https://www.wtfast.com/Download/Start
For the FREE Login part you are kinda screwed if you installed it once before. Would have expired. (I installed my OS recently so, I able to use the FREE Trial again.)

Else how I get it to work.
1. Launch WTF.
2. FREE BASIC USER (By default) > Click Login.
3. Game > Select Custom Game Radio Button > Click Add.
4. Custom Game > MWO.
5. Game Executable > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin64\MWOClient.exe" (I am running 64bit for my case.)
6. Select Run with Launcher Radio Button > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\MechWarriorOnline.exe"
7. Click Ok.
8. Network > Try top using the WTFast VPN servers closest to you location. Sort by Ping is normally a good option.
9. Click Play.

You can see some stats after a few mins on the WTFast dash board. (Important one is Ping) And you ingame ping should be able the same and should be lower and more stable if WTFast has better routing to MWO than your normal ISP.

Additionally I am also using Win 8.1 Pro so, it works with the latest windows.

Edited by ShinVector, 09 May 2015 - 11:29 PM.

#5 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

View PostShinVector, on 09 May 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

Which version are you using.
Must be using Beta 4.0 NOT 3.5. Need to click the link and install the correct version.
https://download.wtf...uct/wtfast_beta
Main download Page: https://www.wtfast.com/Download/Start
For the FREE Login part you are kinda screwed if you installed it once before. Would have expired. (I installed my OS recently so, I able to use the FREE Trial again.)

Else how I get it to work.
1. Launch WTF.
2. FREE BASIC USER (By default) > Click Login.
3. Game > Select Custom Game Radio Button > Click Add.
4. Custom Game > MWO.
5. Game Executable > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin64\MWOClient.exe" (I am running 64bit for my case.)
6. Select Run with Launcher Radio Button > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\MechWarriorOnline.exe"
7. Click Ok.
8. Network > Try top using the WTFast VPN servers closest to you location. Sort by Ping is normally a good option.
9. Click Play.

You can see some stats after a few mins on the WTFast dash board. (Important one is Ping) And you ingame ping should be able the same and should be lower and more stable if WTFast has better routing to MWO than your normal ISP.

Additionally I am also using Win 8.1 Pro so, it works with the latest windows.

I just realised about 15 minutes ago, when i logged into the existsing account i had it linked me to the previous version, i did not notice it at the time.

Ill have a go at it now

Edited by FatYak, 10 May 2015 - 12:11 AM.

#6 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

Well, PING is the same (exactly like i thought it would be), looks like a pretty good reduction in jitter though and packet loss, which is what i was after.

might try it for a few days, see how it goes.

Thanks shin

EDIT - has done precisely stuff all from SRM's though, still passing through mechs

Edited by FatYak, 10 May 2015 - 01:05 AM.

#7 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:47 AM

View PostShinVector, on 09 May 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Good:
Yes. It works.

Bad:
Hard to improve it.

Does it give you better than 250ms ping?

#8 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:54 AM

This would be interesting to try.

#9 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

Used it from Moscow, Russia in the past, and it didn't make a big difference for me. Made a much bigger difference for star wars: the old republic, because the service provider for their data centers is terribad at routing.

MWO's provider doesn't treat gaming traffic like it's Grandma's email, so I don't think WTFast will help much, unless your service provider is the bottleneck.

Ping is almost impossible to improve if you're in Australia or New Zealand, just an fyi. It doesn't matter how they optimize it, your connection often goes through Singapore->China->Japan->Los Angeles->Canada.

#10 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:22 AM

View PostUrsh, on 10 May 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

Used it from Moscow, Russia in the past, and it didn't make a big difference for me. Made a much bigger difference for star wars: the old republic, because the service provider for their data centers is terribad at routing.

MWO's provider doesn't treat gaming traffic like it's Grandma's email, so I don't think WTFast will help much, unless your service provider is the bottleneck.

Ping is almost impossible to improve if you're in Australia or New Zealand, just an fyi. It doesn't matter how they optimize it, your connection often goes through Singapore->China->Japan->Los Angeles->Canada.

I wasnt after ping, though, the WTFast client tells my jitter is less than 1/4 of what it was and it has reduced PING spikes by 90%

#11 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:40 AM

View PostUrsh, on 10 May 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

Australia/NZ routing via China to get to LA is extremely unusual and a major problem for the ISP to sort out.
Satellite connection might land in Singapore, but that will have horrible performance either way.

The main routes go straight across the ocean to California.
Too bad the server isn't there because I see most of the packet loss issues happening between there and Canada.
I dont know why their servers aren't based in the big USA hubs, would benefit far more people with better pings.

#12 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:44 AM

If jitter and spikes were the problem, then yes, WTFast is a good service.

They can help with ping a little bit, but mostly they can reduce the number of hops through chokepoints, which is what really effs up a connection.

When I did some traces from Australia, it showed that they were routing traffic through Singapore rather than shooting it directly to California.

Moscow is almost halfway around the world from the servers, but I get a cleaner connection than most Europeans, thanks to proximity to the backbone. Australians shouldn't be getting such horrible pings, but something is happening either in Australia or California that messes with their connection.

#13 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:19 AM

Pings seem normal for speed of light and distance.
Traceroutes show some unreliability from LA into Canada though, when it is worst someone is usually posting the DDOS map thing so I assume it is a problem crossing mid USA during big attack activity.

Were you in a hotel when you did the trace from Aus? Have heard story's before of hotel connections routing via Singapore for some reason.

#14 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

I was in a hotel when I did the trace from Australia to MWO servers. Wasn't in Australia, just bored in NYC.

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

View PostMycrus, on 10 May 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

Does it give you better than 250ms ping?

It can't beat M1 Fiber plan that I am currently on. 231-232ms.
I believe MyRepublic routing to MWO is pretty good too. (need to double check this though.)

The best is their SG3 server that the moment I belive around 246ms... Maybe can get WTFast to improve the routing it was a paid service... Dunno...

#16 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:04 AM

View PostShinVector, on 10 May 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

It can't beat M1 Fiber plan that I am currently on. 231-232ms.
I believe MyRepublic routing to MWO is pretty good too. (need to double check this though.)

The best is their SG3 server that the moment I belive around 246ms... Maybe can get WTFast to improve the routing it was a paid service... Dunno...

yah that is fast... best I can get is 240ms... typically 250ms

#17 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

Don't think a VPN will help much to be honest.
AFAIK, using a VPN basically lets you create a 'tunnel' through your current ISP to the VPN server. Even if your VPN is based in the US, your base connection will still suck due to the geographic distance.
I'm tried using a VPN once when playing and my Ping went from 250+ to 280+ instead due to the additional routing needed.

#18 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

View Postmr bear, on 10 May 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Don't think a VPN will help much to be honest.
AFAIK, using a VPN basically lets you create a 'tunnel' through your current ISP to the VPN server. Even if your VPN is based in the US, your base connection will still suck due to the geographic distance.
I'm tried using a VPN once when playing and my Ping went from 250+ to 280+ instead due to the additional routing needed.

Hmmmm... Yet it does. The idea is to connect to a VPN server in our own country.
It might have a different better route to the game server.
Not all ISPs use the same upstream provides.. PacNET, TATA, NTT, Starhub, SingTel, PCCW.... etc.. The list goes on...
There is also this issue eg.. If you outgoing route goes to MWO via say PacNET.. It should come back via PAcNET..
If it doesn't there your will probably see more Network Jitter due to asynchronous routing.
Thats for the routing part...

The other crappy issue is QoS.... Some ISPs might use bandwidth throttling to lower the priority of UDP traffic since it tends to be used by applications like bit torrent. And UDP 99% of the time used for in game traffic since TCP is not suitable.

Also... People in China can't play MWO without VPN.

Edited by ShinVector, 10 May 2015 - 09:40 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users