Shock Absorption Option For The Light Mechs

11 replies to this topic

#1 ChillenAzn

• Pip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'd like to request that shock absorption or shocks be available for light mechs like the Spider or Jenner. This is because its way too easy to damage they're legs.

I've had many instances where just running over rocky areas causes some leg damage.
This is pretty annoying since, they have so little armor to begin with.

Overall the Spider is turning out to be a real fun mech even without the ECM. 5D.

#2 Kikinaak

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Not sure how terrain damage is calculated but could see this being a problem if it doesnt take a mechs weight into account. A lightweight mech falling the same distance as an assault isnt going to hit with nearly as much force to the legs, and you'd think with those spindly stilts the lights would be able to pick their way through rough terrain better.

#3 Dr Q

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts
  • LocationREDACTED

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'm not going to lie, Piloting my jenner 7-f with light leg armor over small piles of rubble makes me cringe. And god forbid river city...

#4 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

And never mind when your teammates grind into you at the beginning of the match. The larger mechs do damage as they push their way into the map.

#5 MWHawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Think they have put in the dmg to reflect falling in Canon. Just that they have not included the graphics of actual falling?

#6 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

The FASA rulebook said this about falling damage:

FASA 4th ed. Rulebook said:

"A ’Mech always takes damage from a fall equal to 1 point for every 10 tons that the ’Mech weighs (rounding up) times the number of levels plus 1 that the ’Mech fell; this is the level of the underlying terrain and not the height of the ‘Mech."

[A level is defined as six meters.]

Going by this rule, a light mech (in this case, a Jenner) would damage slightly more than 58% of its leg armor (7 hits on 12 armor points) where an assault class (here, an Atlas) would take 25% damage (20/80) when it drops 6 meters.

At 12 meters each mech would take 11 points and 30 points respectively. That would be ~92% for the Jenner and 38% for the Atlas

[I guess it may be better for us than in the canon.] ^_^

This is why it pays to look where we are going when we walk off of cliffs. :wub:

Now for the cases where the damage comes from the equivalent of tripping and scraping one's shins. (Or, in the cases where larger mechs damage the legs of light mechs, two cars scraping body panels.) I wonder why the mechs take damage. Is it part of the implementation of "foreign object touches mech's leg therefore damage?."

When collisions come back on, we are going to really need to be careful when running around maps like Caustic. ;)

#7 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

Making the gyro upgradeable or changeable would solve this.

Sacrifice the 2 slots in each leg to upgrade your gyro seems fair for reducing legdamage from movement by 50%, sacrifice a moduleslot for it seems a little to much.

Edited by Galenit, 19 January 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#8 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

Yeah, but the gyro is in the CT because it is the center of balance. Maybe a potential upgrade is a heavier gyro (a heavier flywheel) instead of more slots.

Still, the leg damage from dropping down does make sense even if it seems a bit unfair.

#9 Dr Q

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts
  • LocationREDACTED

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

The falling damage bit i understand and have no problem with, even if it can get pretty sketchy at times. It's the running really fast over terrain causing damage part that annoys me. As a jenner pilot, i have to pull off some crazy manouvres just to stay alive with all the cravens out there, and the leg damage display is almost unnerving in how fast they become critical just by running over rocks.

#10 ChillenAzn

• Pip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

So all in all, I want to suggest that shocks be available as an upgrade feature. I would like to be able to nullify damage to legs from drops up to some practical level as a light mech. Like how dune buggies are equipped with large shocks to run over more rocky terrain/higher drops.

Or maybe there can be a variant that comes equipped standard with shocked legs. Such as how there are only some ECM capable variant per mech type.

Seeing as how the legs are more crucial to light/speedy mechs, there should be an option to invest in the protection of those assests. More armor is available and Heavy/Assults can strengthen what is already a strength.

Also why aren't missles available for spiders? Whenever I see a another light mech with streaks, it's pretty much over. They have similar speed and it's almost impossible to loose them, unless you have a teammate nearby. Spiders should be able to compete with commandoe's, but cant' if they have streaks. 2 points per hit almost guaranteed whereas the laser has be consistantly pointed.

#11 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

**** light mechs.

#12 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

A man weight ~80kg and run at 20~25km/h and if you run down a hill you're going to hurt yourself due to the fall.

So when a 35T mech run down the same hill at 150km/h I'm pretty sure his gonna end up completly destroyed.

Just be careful that not difficult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users