The Spider King!

41 replies to this topic

#21 Maleficent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Oh look...it's a laggy *** light mech, which got released, known to be a buggy p.o.s. bragging about how great he is.

*Clap *Clap

WTB a net code fix, and a full on stop to releasing light mechs, hero or otherwise, until said net code is replaced.

Congrats on your apparent 'skill'.

#22 Doc Kyth

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostMaleficent, on 19 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

Oh look...it's a laggy *** light mech, which got released, known to be a buggy p.o.s. bragging about how great he is.

*Clap *Clap

WTB a net code fix, and a full on stop to releasing light mechs, hero or otherwise, until said net code is replaced.

It's not about skill, it's about fun. It's a fun little mech! You can say all you want about lag shields and net code, and I completely agree, but if you'd read the other posts you'd know this is just a mech for fun. Not meant to be competitive.

#23 Sedit

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

was your spider lance the guys I killed solo in my commando

#24 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostSedit, on 19 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Aiming your streaks like a boss.

#25 Doc Kyth

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostSedit, on 19 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

I doubt it. There were 4 of us total so any attempt on your part to counter ECM us was most likely met with 3 more ECMs.

#26 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostDenno, on 18 January 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Can't wait for collisions to reapear. ;)

...can't remember if that's coming before, after or at the same time as improved net-code, but they're somehow tied, and yeah I can't wait either. Its also a big reason why I don't use lights very often.

In the past couple days I must have blown at least a dozen legs out from under 130khp+ mechs, but the swarms are extremely difficult to deal with solo.

#27 Fusea

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

This is why I love my Catapult A1. 36 SRMs, no artemis. Just vomit missiles in your general direction a few times and watch you run into the path.

Also, what kind of heavy pilot chases Spiders around in circles... out in the open? Heres a tip for all the heavy and assault pilots who find themselves in the middle of a light mech circle j***: Walk over to a wall, cram your back side up against it. Make them stay in your front arc, make them target your heavy armor. Your movement speed isn't going to change targeting for something moving twice as fast, so change the game to something you can do better.

#28 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostDoc Kyth, on 19 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

I doubt it. There were 4 of us total so any attempt on your part to counter ECM us was most likely met with 3 more ECMs.

He can still counter the closest one now.. So he could technically still have done it

#29 Doc Kyth

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostIronbar Sinister, on 19 January 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

LOL! "Destroy his soul!"

Fun video, thanks man! ;)

Thank you kindly! If someone laughs then my job is done!

#30 XWorldEaterX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

lol me and my friends were wanting to do something similar to this. Get 4 people together all using fast mechs and just troll the hell out of people. With the nerf coming to ecm though I might just wait since we were only going to do it since ecm is so balanced and makes people play smarter... We figured 4 emc would make our team play uber smart.

#31 Doc Kyth

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostXWorldEaterX, on 19 January 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

lol me and my friends were wanting to do something similar to this. Get 4 people together all using fast mechs and just troll the hell out of people. With the nerf coming to ecm though I might just wait since we were only going to do it since ecm is so balanced and makes people play smarter... We figured 4 emc would make our team play uber smart.

Send me a message whenever you are going to do that and we can try to drop together. If we are lucky we might face off against each other. 4 lights vs. 4 lights, battle royal!

#32 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Glad you are finding fun with the Spider.

Your video is shows that teamwork is massively powerful, that netcode is very bad, and that ECM lights (being immune to lockon weapons) are currently much better than non-ecm lights.

It does not, however, change the fact that the Spider is one of the worst Mechs in the game.

#33 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

If the point of the video was to show how broken light mechs currently are, then good job.

A pack of Raven 3Ls would have ended you quite quickly though.

#34 XWorldEaterX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

View Post80Bit, on 19 January 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Glad you are finding fun with the Spider.

Your video is shows that teamwork is massively powerful, that netcode is very bad, and that ECM lights (being immune to lockon weapons) are currently much better than non-ecm lights.

It does not, however, change the fact that the Spider is one of the worst Mechs in the game.

I'm just curious but why is the spider considered to be such a terrible mech? I don't play lights at all but I have been seeing a few threads about the new hero com and he seems very similar to the spider (lots of lasers, maybe some JJ's?) but he also might not have ecm yet some people want one. Are arm mounted lasers that much of an advantage for a light?

#35 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Spiders are Insects.
Ravens eats Insects.

#36 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostXWorldEaterX, on 19 January 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

I'm just curious but why is the spider considered to be such a terrible mech? I don't play lights at all but I have been seeing a few threads about the new hero com and he seems very similar to the spider (lots of lasers, maybe some JJ's?) but he also might not have ecm yet some people want one. Are arm mounted lasers that much of an advantage for a light?

The spider is terrible because compared to all the other light mechs, it has less weapon hard points in exchange for more jump jets. But jump jets as they are currently implemented are not very useful. As you can see from this video, they had 0 impact on the game play of the mech. Any other light mech is going to out perform the spider at a respective play style.

The new Commando Hero mech will not have ECM or jump jets. It has 4 energy hard points, two on each arm. Like other non-ECM lights, it will be destroyed by ECM lights with streak missiles. Just the state of the game at the moment, but it is looking like it will change in the future with ECM tweaks and netcode improvement.

#37 Mel Mad Dog Winters

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yeah, light mechs with ECM and streaks currently have a distinct advantage over other lights who have only one of those things or none of those things. Not much else to be said there...

I have tried Spiders a bit so far because:
(1) In the board game, I would occasionally (but not usually) enjoy something like them as a break from my fast jump-capable medium mechs. More of a dedicated scout (or 'guerrilla' mech targeting enemy supply lines, infantry, soft targets and what not—if any were actually put in by whoever set up the board game for that day)... I wanted to see how they would feel to pilot in this, despite lacking those elements (except for maybe capping resources in conquest mode).
(2) I've loved jump jets in all previous incarnations of the IP I have ever tried, and the Spider has always been all about the jump jets.

Sadly, jump jets are still not where they ought to be performance-wise currently and still a big disappointment, so my experience of the Spider so far has been mostly, well... Sad. ^_^

It does handle nicely and turns really well. Still, I'm wondering if I'll try to play it much during this double XP weekend.

I don't enjoy feeling like Raven/streak bait, even with the ECM version. "I have ECM! Eh? Ah, the Raven is countering it and is now firing streaks. Well, I'm dead shortly no matter how well I play. Any cliffs to jump onto? Err, I mean face plant onto and slowly creep up? No...?"

With fixes and tweaks to things currently in the game, I think this mech has potential to be an awesome scout mech. Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling like it's not there yet, though.

Oh, regarding the topic of a lance circling:
- I actually find it often gets in the way of the lance that is doing the circling. Yes, you want to get into an optimum firing position and avoid giving the enemy a chance to fire back effectively, but in a PUG match what often happens is that a fast lance circling an enemy will often block each other's shots or hit each other with friendly fire from time to time.

- With groups on Teamspeak or whatever, I'd like to see what kind of results could be had from them running in formation more. The leader could call out a regroup point and a turn direction and the lance could run by (rather than around) and strafe with focus fire. Post firing, use evasive manuvers, hit the nearby regroup point, turn in the called out direction together, and then make another run using whatever impulsive course deviations they need to to avoid fire.
I don't know if it would work well—it would certainly require teamwork and familiarity—but the circling and getting in each other's way seem less efficient for fast lights.

Especially, if/when collisions come back in... ;)

Edited by Mel Mad Dog Winters, 19 January 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#38 Dakkath

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationG-14 Classified

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for sharing the video. It was entertaining. I am looking forward to this years netcode revamp, and all of the other sweet content. Go go gadget spider!

#39 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostMaleficent, on 19 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

*Clap *Clap

You mad bro!

#40 Doc Kyth

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostElkarlo, on 19 January 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Spiders are Insects.
Ravens eats Insects.

BIRD SPIDERS EAT BIRDS!!!

View PostUrsh, on 19 January 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

If the point of the video was to show how broken light mechs currently are, then good job.

A pack of Raven 3Ls would have ended you quite quickly though.

Absolutely. That's just the roll of the dice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users