Is There Anything On The Horizon That Is Going To Save This Game?

51 replies to this topic

#21 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

game isn't going to die anytime soon. but it could be so much better. PGI isn't really a MMO developer and have no experience with things like this.

they don't understand how important balance is to a game like this

#22 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 20 January 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

You might laugh and maybe the Devs think most players want to pilot 'Mechs with a Mouse, but once Joystick Support is up to spec almost all of you are going to switch to a Joystick.

The drift associated with "Flight Sticks" has already been tested against a mouse...
Mouse = almost Zero Drift when aiming, it simply does not lend itself to this behavior
Flight Stick = inherent tendencies to drift, due to travel time of the "Stick" itself
No matter how good someone is with a flight stick, they will never be able to match the precision, or the speed at which that precision is consistantly achieved with a mouse.... Stay on target against a fast light manuevering around you with a mouse, then a flight stick, then you will forced to the same conclusions that have already been proven.
Think of a "Short Stick/pattern" 6 speed manual transmission on a Sports Car, versus that of a "Long Stick/pattern" on that of a 4 speed manual transmission on a Truck.. I have used both, almost same V-8 engine, Gear ratio etc, etc, etc,.. The short travel stick/pattern of the Camaro/Firebird was superior for response times, quicker, more precise versus the long shift pattern/stick of the truck..
It may not be the best comparison, but even though the Truck was lighter 92 -S10, hooked up just as well on launch (suspension, and weight displacement modifications), the Camaro was more efficient in going through the gears, and in the quarter mile it showed.

#23 anonymous175

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Mech Jesus

#24 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

The devs have stated lag shield fixes are coming this month. ecm is easily countered by using your brain, another ECM, or Tag. All mechs are useful (some more than others) if you use them right. And if you read the forums enough everything in the game is OP, so I think PGI are doing a pretty good job.

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostLtKickass, on 20 January 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Is there anything on the horizon that is going to save this game?
The rest of the Game.
Right now you are only working with the combat mechanics.

#26 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostDreepa, on 20 January 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

I agree, that the game had more depth without ECM.

I don't know that I would qualify the LRM boatfest prior to ECM's as "more depth".

#27 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

They do likely understand balance, its more difficult than you likely imagine. I dont think the game is too out of balance right now anyway. Its more of net code issues really. I would like to see them have weight limit games, where you could exclude certain mechs. My guess, the average pugger (me) would eliminate lights and play that only. The game is pretty balanced without lights right now IMHO.

I dont think of this as a tactical sim game. Its really just a shooter where you can have different builds. I think as it stands now, it strikes a nice balance between casual and hard core players.

Online Mech games, have not really been sim games, just a different type of shooter, which I like.

#28 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I suggest you review your builds and play style. I once felt the same, but after 300 deaths, I have found builds and play styles that allow me to do ok. Yes, the game is still far from perfect, but is still playable.

View PostFourteenFour, on 20 January 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

There is a game here?

Really?

Could have fooled me.

MWO resembles those game in a game gimmicks you find elsewhere. You know what I mean, like those old FPS where you slip into a bar or training room and there is a video game to play.

Its like that because its so damn repetitive. I have had instances where I had the same map over and over for an hour. I have gone the same for just conquest game play.

When there is something besides 8v8 on the same five or six maps there might be hope, but as it stands now this is merely a tech demo.

People like you are killing this game. You all think 'open BETA' means final, finely finished product. And as a result, you slam the game for things that are to be expected from a game that's still in development.

#29 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

When ECM came out I stopped playing, but another patch came out so I thought I would check it out. Now correct me if I’m wrong but MechWarrior is meant to be a tactical simulation. WTF has happened to my beloved MechWarrior!

My tactical choices:
  • Now that ECM seems to be standard, missiles are out. If you have a high ping the lag shield means ballistics are out, so I can have lasers.
  • Should I take a light or heavy? If you don’t have a team to back you up you are fubar. Lights will pull you to pieces.
Let’s look at my Simulation Options:
  • My stuff gets repaired even if I do crap.
  • I make money every time I loose.
  • My Radar doesn’t work because everyone has ECM.
  • I can’t find my enemies weak spots because I can’t lock targets with ECM.
So basically this is a light mech Laser FPS, with shields. While teams might be able to benefit from some of the other options, I’m willing to wager that new comes don’t stay very long. I just don’t understand how this game has become a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Yes... the doomsayer trolls leaving would help the forums immeasurably. :)

#30 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 20 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

The drift associated with "Flight Sticks" has already been tested against a mouse...
Mouse = almost Zero Drift when aiming, it simply does not lend itself to this behavior
Flight Stick = inherent tendencies to drift, due to travel time of the "Stick" itself
No matter how good someone is with a flight stick, they will never be able to match the precision, or the speed at which that precision is consistantly achieved with a mouse.... Stay on target against a fast light manuevering around you with a mouse, then a flight stick, then you will forced to the same conclusions that have already been proven.
Think of a "Short Stick/pattern" 6 speed manual transmission on a Sports Car, versus that of a "Long Stick/pattern" on that of a 4 speed manual transmission on a Truck.. I have used both, almost same V-8 engine, Gear ratio etc, etc, etc,.. The short travel stick/pattern of the Camaro/Firebird was superior for response times, quicker, more precise versus the long shift pattern/stick of the truck..
It may not be the best comparison, but even though the Truck was lighter 92 -S10, hooked up just as well on launch (suspension, and weight displacement modifications), the Camaro was more efficient in going through the gears, and in the quarter mile it showed.

I would still like to have a joystick as my control for leg movement. I know it can be done now, but it is just like using a button. No variation, either on or off, if you get what I mean

#31 Az0r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostSmokey Mcpot, on 20 January 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

I suggest you review your builds and play style. I once felt the same, but after 300 deaths, I have found builds and play styles that allow me to do ok. Yes, the game is still far from perfect, but is still playable.

People like you are killing this game. You all think 'open BETA' means final, finely finished product. And as a result, you slam the game for things that are to be expected from a game that's still in development.

You can call it open ALPHA for all the difference it makes. Once a game is accepting payments in the MMO world the game is considered launched.

#32 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

In your case? Nope. ECM is here to stay. It may get slightly changed, but ECM will remain.

Else wise, the game is doing fine, much of its potential though still is untapped and I am looking forward to this not being the case any more.

#33 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostKenach, on 20 January 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Here is the answer i got after sending a positive PM to a pgi staff member (3 days ago) :

Posted Image

/end doom thread

I suggest to go play something else, and come back when you're feeling better... boredom is understandable :)

Yay more new people are coming in which is cool but I wonder what their player retention metrics say.

Edited by Kibble, 20 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#34 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'd like a joystick for torso and arm movement, too. For the real Mech feeling. Accuracy be damned.

#35 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

On the horizon is matchmaking, CW, Clans, improved netcode, increased hit detection, bug fixes, weapon balancing, more mechs, more maps, more game modes.

I didn't reason this game needed saving.

#36 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostKibble, on 20 January 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Yay more new people are coming in which is cool but I wonder what their player retention metrics say.

oh kerensky, it's TORitis all over again.

#37 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I stopped reading after, "When ECM came out I stopped playing", because my issues are a lot more fundamental than that. Lag, netcode, whatever your want to call it. Shots animating on my screen but obviously not registering. Teams full of light mechs. The best though, I just played a game with 3 AFK players. There should be a trigger that cancels the game if too many people drop. It's not fun or fair to the other people on a given team affected by this crap.

I know this sounds bitchy, and I don't like to write posts like this, but I just hit a breaking point with this game. And what is most disappointing is the lack of expedient resolve from PGI regarding these long-standing issues. I mean seriously, how many people have you read, or heard, complain about lag, netcode and AFK players? I'm sure I'm not the only one. All the problems are right under the nose and yet they continue to steam ahead like little is wrong. As far as I'm concerned January 2013 is more beta than August 2012.

#38 Rifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I thought CW was going to save the game since its supposed to be in game this month according to the last time we had a timeline for it(90 days after open beta) but now they seem to have delayed or cancelled it so now we are pretty much screwed for game saving features IMO.

#39 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

“With the new 8-player group vs. group action and ECM, the competitive element in the game has been upped in a major way,” said Bryan Ekman, creative director, Piranha Games.

from a Dec 4th interview with TTH. Is that funny to anyone else now?

View PostRifter, on 20 January 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

I thought CW was going to save the game since its supposed to be in game this month according to the last time we had a timeline for it(90 days after open beta) but now they seem to have delayed or cancelled it so now we are pretty much screwed for game saving features IMO.

lol yeah cause thats gonna happen

View PostCik, on 20 January 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

oh kerensky, it's TORitis all over again.

supposedly its higher than it was but them yanking the player counter and then saying that there was no good business reason to tell us how many people are playing it pretty telling

View PostGallowglas, on 20 January 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I don't know that I would qualify the LRM boatfest prior to ECM's as "more depth".

I don't know that I would qualify the current ECM boatfest as "more depth" either

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 20 January 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#40 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 20 January 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

definately not. but trying to cover up a screwup with another screwup is quite a visicous cycle.

something something, dealling with invasive species with another one

something something balance analogy

Edited by Tennex, 20 January 2013 - 10:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users