Is There Anything On The Horizon That Is Going To Save This Game?

51 replies to this topic

#1 PC_Joe

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

When ECM came out I stopped playing, but another patch came out so I thought I would check it out. Now correct me if I’m wrong but MechWarrior is meant to be a tactical simulation. WTF has happened to my beloved MechWarrior!

My tactical choices:
  • Now that ECM seems to be standard, missiles are out. If you have a high ping the lag shield means ballistics are out, so I can have lasers.
  • Should I take a light or heavy? If you don’t have a team to back you up you are fubar. Lights will pull you to pieces.
Let’s look at my Simulation Options:
  • My stuff gets repaired even if I do crap.
  • I make money every time I loose.
  • My Radar doesn’t work because everyone has ECM.
  • I can’t find my enemies weak spots because I can’t lock targets with ECM.
So basically this is a light mech Laser FPS, with shields. While teams might be able to benefit from some of the other options, I’m willing to wager that new comes don’t stay very long. I just don’t understand how this game has become a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Is there anything on the horizon that is going to save this game?

Edited by LtKickass, 20 January 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#2 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

We are doomed, doomed.

#3 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Posted Image

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

"Save" is a pretty harsh wod, don't you think...?

As far as lights go, they want to implement movement net-code fix, which would hopefully mean collisions back in. :)

#5 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

The end is nigh! Leave while you still can LtKickA!

...unoriginal thread given with attempted-to-be-original delivery is unimpressive..

#6 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

whine thread is whining...

#7 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

LRM are OP, nerf them!

http://imageshack.us...5140/lrmwtf.png

#8 Dreepa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

I agree, that the game had more depth without ECM.

It is weird, I know. Adding a feature should increase the depth and game play possiblities one might think.

For whatever reason, I dont feel that with ECM. I just know that I had more fun playing the game before the ECM times.

#9 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

I wonder which other Mechwarrior games the OP has played where his ping didn't matter, he had to repair his stuff and had to lock on an opponent to know where his weak spots are.

#10 Kenach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Here is the answer i got after sending a positive PM to a pgi staff member (3 days ago) :

Posted Image

/end doom thread

I suggest to go play something else, and come back when you're feeling better... boredom is understandable :)

Edited by Kenach, 20 January 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#11 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostLtKickass, on 20 January 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

When ECM came out I stopped playing, but another patch came out so I thought I would check it out. Now correct me if I’m wrong but MechWarrior is meant to be a tactical simulation. WTF has happened to my beloved MechWarrior!

My tactical choices:
  • Now that ECM seems to be standard, missiles are out. If you have a high ping the lag shield means ballistics are out, so I can have lasers.
  • Should I take a light or heavy? If you don’t have a team to back you up you are fubar. Lights will pull you to pieces.
Let’s look at my Simulation Options:
  • My stuff gets repaired even if I do crap.
  • I make money every time I loose.
  • My Radar doesn’t work because everyone has ECM.
  • I can’t find my enemies weak spots because I can’t lock targets with ECM.
So basically this is a light mech Laser FPS, with shields. While teams might be able to benefit from some of the other options, I’m willing to wager that new comes don’t stay very long. I just don’t understand how this game has become a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Is there anything on the horizon that is going to save this game?

I am playing my LRM15 CPLT-1c (f) when i need money.
I got 2x LRM 15 Artemis, 4 Jumpjets, 3 Meds, 1 Tag, 360 Degree advanced locking range, BaP 4 JJ.

And i am mostly one of the top best players, only when a raven decides to play the WHOLE GAME with me then i am in Trouble... then i lure him away from the Combat and keep him busy, with my Back to the Wall as you always should be against such Folks.

Capture lock will be next module installed on him.
And then i still got one slot free for the next modules.

Paul already said that there will be at least another Module to counter ECM.
After that they will look into if ECM needs fixing.

Now you got two Modules to counter ECM together with Tag they work. (fast lock and capture lock)
for LRM at least.

For the Aiming at critical zones: when you are brawling you get them as it allows locking at 180 Meters, simply remember where he was weak then you can shot him, works at least for me when i was leveling my Phracts, Dragons and Hunchbacks...

Edited by Elkarlo, 20 January 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#12 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Analog Turning for Joystick Support.

You might laugh and maybe the Devs think most players want to pilot 'Mechs with a Mouse, but once Joystick Support is up to spec almost all of you are going to switch to a Joystick. Joystick is just as effective as a mouse and offers a natural control for the mech so you are never struggling to get the mech to do what you want. It's so natural, you don't even think about it.

Other than that, more maps, eventually alot more. In fact I want to see one or two new maps each month. Mechs like the Highlander, Orion, Timberwolf, Mad Dog, Summoner, Direwolf?

I would also offer better Mods like one that allows missile locks through ECM, one that makes a composite viewmode of Thermal and Night vision modes.

Finally players need a long term goal and I suggest that after earning 300k-500k XP in a certain mech they be allowed to add one hardpoint, but only one per mech. This would be akin to a personal Hero mech so it fits the Battletech lore. It could be no worse than seeing a Catapult with two AC20s.

Of course CW will tie it all together, but CW can't do it all. There needs to be content for CW to spin.

#13 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

The irony here is when they do have these things fixed (Feb or March is my bet), people are suddenly going to be whining about the game being too fast. Currently the only reason we even see 5-7+ minute games is because of the netcode and hit detection being so shoddy. Remove those, throw in some min-maxed builds (I am not even talking cheese), and the average game time will shrink down to 3-4. And I am talking pub, not pug.

View PostLightfoot, on 20 January 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

You might laugh and maybe the Devs think most players want to pilot 'Mechs with a Mouse, but once Joystick Support is up to spec almost all of you are going to switch to a Joystick.

No. Pedals and a throttle might be better for control, but not for aim. Arm convergence and the accuracy that the mouse provides completely blows joysticks out of the water. Do you know how many of the Devs play this game with a joystick? None.

#14 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

add to the list :

if i **** up I instantly rejoin another match only to **** up again and again and again.... the teams you joined are really really happy about this....

#15 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

View Postelbloom, on 20 January 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

add to the list :

if i **** up I instantly rejoin another match only to **** up again and again and again.... the teams you joined are really really happy about this....

They're never going to lock you out of matches, stop complaining.

#16 Billy Battlemech

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

i'm still new to this whole mess, but the past 2 days of playing have been pretty fun, only ran into the "ECM packs" a couple times. My biggest issue is losing the target on radar when you have a clear visual of them, LOS shouldnt be skewed by ECM.
Just my opinion.

#17 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Posted Image

#18 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 20 January 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

No. Pedals and a throttle might be better for control, but not for aim. Arm convergence and the accuracy that the mouse provides completely blows joysticks out of the water.

Absolutely correct...

#19 Name75674

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

There is a game here?

Really?

Could have fooled me.

MWO resembles those game in a game gimmicks you find elsewhere. You know what I mean, like those old FPS where you slip into a bar or training room and there is a video game to play.

Its like that because its so damn repetitive. I have had instances where I had the same map over and over for an hour. I have gone the same for just conquest game play.

When there is something besides 8v8 on the same five or six maps there might be hope, but as it stands now this is merely a tech demo.

#20 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 20 January 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

You might laugh and maybe the Devs think most players want to pilot 'Mechs with a Mouse, but once Joystick Support is up to spec almost all of you are going to switch to a Joystick. Joystick is just as effective as a mouse and offers a natural control for the mech so you are never struggling to get the mech to do what you want. It's so natural, you don't even think about it.

Other than that, more maps, eventually alot more. In fact I want to see one or two new maps each month. Mechs like the Highlander, Orion, Timberwolf, Mad Dog, Summoner, Direwolf?

I would also offer better Mods like one that allows missile locks through ECM, one that makes a composite viewmode of Thermal and Night vision modes.

Finally players need a long term goal and I suggest that after earning 300k-500k XP in a certain mech they be allowed to add one hardpoint, but only one per mech. This would be akin to a personal Hero mech so it fits the Battletech lore. It could be no worse than seeing a Catapult with two AC20s.

Of course CW will tie it all together, but CW can't do it all. There needs to be content for CW to spin.

Posted Image

No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users