Why Bother? Lights Dominate Completely!

73 replies to this topic

#1 Vizeroy

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

More and more Lights are dominating the battlefield.

They move so fast that the slower mechs stand litterally no chance as the fast lights can run circles and dance around without fear of getting hit.

To make matters worse, most of them are equipped with ECM, making it very difficult to get or maintain a lock.

As it is right now, the team with most ECM lights win. That's the situation we're in.

Why even bother using those hard earned C-Bills to get a medium/heavy/assault mech?

Only viable medium mech around to counter the lights, is the Cicada because it also has these insane top speeds of +130 kph.

I admit, i'm a Light mech pilot myself.

I have an ECM Spider with a topspeed of 151,5 kph, 2 medium lasers and a tag.

When i feel like dishing out some unfair punishment, i crawl into my win-win bot:
ECM Commando, 139 kph, with 3 x SSRM's, 400 missiles and a TAG.

It's so easy to pilot that thing it feels like cheating.

Unless i get countered early on by another ECM Light, i almost always score around 6-7 kills (2-4 kill shots, rest as assists) and deal around 350-650 damage.

Where is the balance in that?

Is it really meant that lowly light mech should wreck more havoc that an Atlas or a Stalker? (not counting LRM boats).

I really would like to play with the other mechs and have tried most of them, but there really is no point in it as the lights are far far far too overpowered.

Please consider that the above are my personal points on this topic. Feel free to comment if you like.

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Because when you kill a light with a gauss/PPC/SRM-PUKE to the face, it's sooooooooo satisfying.

If you don't want to cicada, you can light-hunt with Cent-9D, maximum speed well over 120kph incl speed tweak.

Edited by One Medic Army, 20 January 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#3 M0oP0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta In a little place called Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Or legging them with 4X large lasers in my stalker. I have 3 jenners collecting dust since the stalker came out and lets face it lights will relearn the meaning of collision clothes line. Then we can add anothing satisfying activity to the pile.

#4 Balsover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

My problem is a have a full set of mastered Jenner's, that I don't play. I want to use them, but every time I do its just disappointing, and not very fun.

#5 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Currently the biggest problem is the netcode, which prevent hits from registering properly on lights. When things go above 100kph+, the Crye3 engine starts to wobble. At this point, it's not very well optimized. They will need to major rewriting to fix the issue. And yes, most of us know ECM needs a tweak.

Nothing more satisfying than legging a Raven, then walking up to him as he's looking at you. Laugh like a maniac and finish him off with an alpha strike.

#6 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Because putting a light down is satisfying. Particularly killing ECM lights with streaks or LRMs. Or using ballistics.

#7 ivr56

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 20 January 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Because putting a light down is satisfying. Particularly killing ECM lights with streaks or LRMs. Or using ballistics.

Seeing Dual LBX-10 streak a back of a Commando blowing it to bits is ever sastifying

#8 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 20 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Because when you kill a light with a gauss/PPC/SRM-PUKE to the face, it's sooooooooo satisfying.

If you don't want to cicada, you can light-hunt with Cent-9D, maximum speed well over 120kph incl speed tweak.

Hit a Commando with 2 gauss as he came around a building in my K2 Sniper, he did the little rag doll flip and died... It was very very satisfying!

MWO still sucks though and this is only .01 of the fun I have had. 99.9 was ECM and Netcode rage

Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 20 January 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#9 Vizeroy

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

When i'm in my spider, i can take down heavy and assault mechs with relative ease.

Due to the extreme manouverability of the spider, (actually it's the Jenner mechs that are the masters of this, so i've copied them a little...) it's possible to hide behind a big mech, shooting it with lasers in it's rear torso. It doesn't really take that much effort or too many shots before the behemoths fall.

Although it's great fun nailing those big mechs like that, it's also the primary reason i cant bring myself to pilot them myself anymore as i myself have fallen victim to this many times early on. Back when i thought there was a point in loading up with heavy weapons and heavy armor.

It's a false sense of security when you pilot an assault mech with hundreds of tonnes of armor when a small insekt of a light mech with less than a handfull of lasers will shoot you the same spot on the back a few times and then "Boom" you're dead.

#10 Balsover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

This is the downside to the increased armor values. In TT, a few large lasers to a Commando would shred most of it apart. Lights just have too much survivability with the extra armor.

#11 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I agree that such lucky shots that take out a light mech are VERY satisfying.
But I've also had times where I hit a shutdown light mech with 2 SRM6 and 4MPL right in its CT twice, and it didn't do more than scratching its armor.

#12 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 20 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Putting double gauss alpha after alpha into them and seeing 0 damage done however is far more frustrating. I spectated a Stalker earlier that was engaged at full health by a damaged raven. The stalker pilot wasnt amazing but was getting decent hits with his lasers every time the raven circled - the raven ended up blowing a torso off the stalker before dying he had so much lagshield.

#13 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

See Raven

Chase with 99.5 KMPH Dragon

Ram into it after CT is red

[REDACTED]

Profit... with a sense of loss

MWO/10

#14 M0oP0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

My trick is to wildly shake the mouse over the legs of a light mech when firing my lasers, sure its not putting much of its damage into the legs, but at least it puts some into the ********.

Also wildly shaking the mouse makes the frustration go away.

#15 Rannos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Why bother posting? Its just going to vanish without a trace anyways!

#16 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Hit a Commando with 2 gauss as he came around a building in my K2 Sniper, he did the little rag doll flip and died... It was very very satisfying!

MWO still sucks though and this is only .01 of the fun I have had. 99.9 was ECM and Netcode rage

ECM, for whatever faults it may have, is a necessary evil until Streaks are dealt with. The last thing we need is to bring back the large streak boats.

#17 M0oP0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostRannos, on 20 January 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Why bother posting? Its just going to vanish without a trace anyways!

Blame [REDACTED], or George Orwell.

#18 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Easy answer, make it a point of hunting them!! Best watch i saw was a streakcat go hunting 4 of them instead of cheesing his way through the bigger mechs.... other point is watch teammates backs, if the light starts his circles of doom on a teammate shoot it at either apex, if it sits still at a mates back give it an alpha strike. landing a twin gauss hits from my illya on a jenner who thinks he is safe is priceless

As for 1 on 1 pray for a lucky headshot or better netcode

#19 Balsover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostRalgas, on 21 January 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Easy answer, make it a point of hunting them!! Best watch i saw was a streakcat go hunting 4 of them instead of cheesing his way through the bigger mechs.... other point is watch teammates backs, if the light starts his circles of doom on a teammate shoot it at either apex, if it sits still at a mates back give it an alpha strike. landing a twin gauss hits from my illya on a jenner who thinks he is safe is priceless

As for 1 on 1 pray for a lucky headshot or better netcode

How does a streakcat hunt an ECM mech?

#20 M0oP0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostBalsover, on 21 January 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

How does a streakcat hunt an ECM mech?

Simple: Just make sure to use [REDACTED] and if that does not work you can always [REDACTED] their [REDACTED].

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users