Mosted Hated Battletech/Mechwarrior/Dark Age character

97 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostMechRaccoon, on 26 May 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I really freaking hate the Capellans. Not only are they a retarded police state, (GOD I HATE THOSE)...

You're living in one... :P

Capellans aren't that piece of crap spitting on the shiny armor of others. :P

#42 Lincoln 0sis

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

If anyone hates me he will have to deal with the retaliation of the Smoke Jaguars. You don't want to do that.

#43 Madog

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostRiptor, on 25 May 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

And ofcourse then theres the gallery of "plot armored" characters that pop up over and over again.. kai allard... victor... devlin... not very interesting when you know beforehand that they will make it out without even a scratch.

Well, given that there are something like 5 trillion or more people in the Inner Sphere, statistically you are going to end up with people like that... :P

Pick the most capable, talented, and lucky person in the world today -- there are a thousand like him or her in the Inner Sphere. In fact, there are probably an order of magnitude more people living in the Inner Sphere than have ever lived up to 2012. So imagine a world where Ghengis Khan, Caesar, Robert E. Lee, Shaka Zulu, Alexander, Rommel, Napoleon, etc. are not only all contemporary with each other -- but there are 10 of each of them.

#44 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Vlad Wolf Ward Kerensky or however he called himself at the end . .
Had he not been such a dumb *****, what kind of team would he and Phelan been?
Especially with Natasha and Ulric as their mentors!
They would have made il-Clan by themselves!

#45 Deathbane

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Victor Davion.

He was made of plot armour wayyy before Devlin Stone was thought up.

#46 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Add my vote to Victor. Like others have said he had enough plot armor to make a bridge to the moon.

And LRMs in the novels. One side always seems to have crap missiles that only dent their targets, and the side with the favor of the author has missile barrages that COMPLETELY destroy everything they hit. I remember one novel I read recently where a Clan star shot a couple IS lances with a wave of missiles, failed to kill anything, and the return salvo made a Mad Dog just disappear.

View PostHannes, on 25 May 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Its the damn Cheng..... starting right next to you in any Solaris match greeting you with 2 Arrows.... damn bas.....

******* exactly! And somehow he always managed to get missile lock before you could even turn to face him (he always seemed to be slightly behind you). Total pain in the *** for sure.

Edited by Alaric Wolf Kerensky, 26 May 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#47 Deathbane

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

Seriously that ai character was bullshit.

That mad dog was PAIN. Every start, of every round, missiles to the face.

He always got the lbx to the knee treatment from me.. :]

Edited by Deathbane, 26 May 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#48 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Victor Steiner-Davion would be my personal most hated character.
Giant plot armor, incapable to no end and still gets credit for everything anyone does, needs rescue as soon as his 100ton clantech Dire Wolf gets attacked by anything in the medium category or above (seriously, is there any point (execpt for that one Berserker) where he ever defeats something heavy or assault in a 1 on 1 fight?) and his constantly white vest makes him one of the most boring characters in the usualy very grey in grey BT universe..
But really its the "gets credit for everything" part that annoys me the most.
Ariana Winston fought the Smoke Jaguars on even terms for weeks and managed to hit them so hard that all they could still do was one last desperate all out assault. She dies in that attack and half an hour later Victor lands with an army several times as large as what the Jags have left and just curbstomps them. Who deserves the credit, the one who fought them on even terms and wore them down, or the one who just had the luck to have the giant army and be at the right place at the right time? Not the one who actually got it and is now the big hero of the inner sphare, that much I can tell you.
Such things are everywhere in his "career".

Also I do not know how anyone who is not a St.Ives player can hate Sun-Tzu. He is likely the most interesting character of his timeline.
Doesn't get enough screentime IMHO.

#49 Voiddog

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Gray Norton for taking Justin Allard's arm :P

#50 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostDeathbane, on 26 May 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Seriously that ai character was bullshit.

That mad dog was PAIN. Every start, of every round, missiles to the face.

He always got the lbx to the knee treatment from me.. :]

I preferred twin Ultra AC/20s :P

#51 Red October911

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMTL,Quebec

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Every single jade falcon, hell, every crusader clan *Grrrrrr Bark Bark!* :P

Edited by Red October911, 26 May 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#52 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostAshla Mason, on 25 May 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Soooo many choices... But If I had to pick one I would go with...

Alaric Wolf. Not only is he a collosal douchebag as well as Katherine steiner davion's son (The one she created with Victor's DNA), They gave him plot armor that is almost completely impenatrable; He's not only a brilliant combatant he's also a tactician who (I can only presume) has ******* ESP because he is able to perfectly deduce the tactics that will be employed against him by his enemies and annihilate them. Further, he's so amazing he's able to tear apart a third of The FWL before pivoting to attack the lyrans and take everything from there to Frikkin tharkad.

And he murders the Kahn of Clan wolf. And attacks Clan wolf in exile. And becomes kahn of clan wolf in the aftermath of him murdering his kahn. And He claims that since he is the son of Katherine Steiner Davion he has a legitimate claim to the title of Archon.

I can only presume the writer was typing this out with one hand as his other one was getting quite a workout.

Well what do you expect, his gene-father is none other than.... VICTOR DAVION! Inheriting some plot armor is only natural at that point, but he still has less than Victor did.

Edited by Alaric Wolf Kerensky, 26 May 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#53 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

CLANNERS!

minus the Ghost bears and Phaelan's Wolf clan, they're cool!

#54 PsychoFarmer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Devlin Stone. He is named after Dean Devlin, the guy who was going to produce the Mechwarrior movie. If the Mechwarrior Clix game people weren't annoying enough for putting their names in to the game, this guy takes the cake.

The following is from IGN:

If there's one thing I've learned in my time as an online entertainment writer it's this: If a project involves anything remotely resembling giant robots, it has to be cool. Filmmaker Dean Devlin (Eight Legged Freaks, Independence Day, The Patriot) would probably agree. According to today's Hollywood Reporter, Devlin has just signed on to produce a feature film based on the popular gaming franchise MechWarrior (the universe MechAssault exists within). Paramount Pictures is in talks to snag the rights to the property from Wiz Kids, the game's Seattle-based developer, for Devlin's Electric Entertainment.

Devlin's commitment to the project is certain, but his level of involvement is yet to be determined. He tells the trade, "Whether I write the script or help with the script or direct, I'm crazy about the material, and this is a real passion project for me."

He says he plans to make the film look like a $150 million movie with an actual budget of less than $100 million. By contrast, Devlin's Eight Legged Freaks cost just $30 million to make. "The type of CG we'd use for this movie, in which warriors battle in giant mechanized suits of armor, would be much easier to create than spiders," he says. "We had 200 CG shots in Freaks, and I think we could get a lot more out of this film."

The best-selling PC game has spawned a handful of sequels and console ports over the years, with the predominate Mech o' the moment being MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries. Ivan Sulic, IGN's resident Mech-head says in his review, "I long for MechWarrior even when I play MechWarrior. Masterfully manipulating dozens of keys on the keyboard to flush coolant, switch weapon groups, delegate down orders, blow the arms off a troublesome Thor, dodge a flurry of SRMs, and at the same time jump jet over a small plateau to reach a critical objective that needs a critical murdering is marvelous. It always has been."

The filmmakers won't be able to recreate such tactile thrills, but hopefully they'll give MechWarrior fans a solid story and, at the very least, a look at some jaw-dropping, big-screen-sized Mechs. Keep your browser set to IGN FilmForce for the latest on MechWarrior and all the games-to-film news you know you want!

#55 anonymous218

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Add my votes for Victor Davion, Katrina Steiner, and Vlad Ward.

Vlad was unlikeable. Katrina was insane, and Victor ****** me off for being invincible. Every. Single. Time.

#56 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostStahlseele, on 26 May 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Vlad Wolf Ward Kerensky or however he called himself at the end . .
Had he not been such a dumb *****, what kind of team would he and Phelan been?
Especially with Natasha and Ulric as their mentors!
They would have made il-Clan by themselves!

This^^ has a very very valid point. I disliked Devlin Stone for being a sort of Plot God who never failed and hardly had any negative trais, just my opinion really...

#57 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

I dont know about most hated but my most loved was Tessa K also known as Anastasia Kerensky. Leader of the Steel Wolves after she killed former leader Kal Raddick in a trial of leadership for the Steel Wolves.

#58 GreyTemplar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostSkylarr, on 25 May 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion (b. November 16th, 3032 - 3???), also known as Katrina Steiner, Why? Because she destroyed the Grey Death Legion.

And being an Ice Cold Queen c**t that rivals Cersei Lannister, even going so far as to have an inbred "trueborn" child!

#59 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostMadog, on 26 May 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Well, given that there are something like 5 trillion or more people in the Inner Sphere, statistically you are going to end up with people like that... ;)

Pick the most capable, talented, and lucky person in the world today -- there are a thousand like him or her in the Inner Sphere. In fact, there are probably an order of magnitude more people living in the Inner Sphere than have ever lived up to 2012. So imagine a world where Ghengis Khan, Caesar, Robert E. Lee, Shaka Zulu, Alexander, Rommel, Napoleon, etc. are not only all contemporary with each other -- but there are 10 of each of them.

My favourite real life example of this is Felix von Luckner. BattleTech named a tank after him, but otherwise he's fairly unknown to us now. In his day, he was a "seller of the Salvation Army's War Cry, assistant lighthouse keeper at the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse in Augusta W.A. (a job he abandoned when discovered with his hotel keeper's daughter by her father), kangaroo hunter, circus worker, professional boxer due to his exceptional strength, fisherman, seaman, a guard in the Mexican army for President Díaz, railway construction worker, barman, and tavern keeper. He served a short time in a Chilean jail accused of stealing pigs, suffered broken legs twice, and was thrown out of hospital in Jamaica for lack of money."

And then he turned 20, impressed Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany with his magic tricks, and got a real job in the German Navy. During World War I, he captured 14 ships and over 300 prisoners of war, with only a single casualty. That he didn't mean to kill. Oh, and he accomplished all of that with a sailing ship. He was also strong enough that he bent coins with his fingers and tore phone books in half.

So I can overlook a bit of ridiculousness of accomplishment in my fictional characters. That said, my most hated goes to a duo: Katherine and Victor Steiner-Davion. Because while I can suspend my disbelief for what they achieve, their souls are painted so absolutely black and white that they're unbelievable. People have mentioned before their various traits, though I'll add that Victor is so noble, when he returns to find that Katherine/Katrina has stolen his throne and is Being Dastardly, he nobly retires to a monastery for a while, so as not to plunge his realm into the horrors of a civil war.

Please.

Edited by Sparks Murphey, 26 May 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#60 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostSkylarr, on 25 May 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion (b. November 16th, 3032 - 3???), also known as Katrina Steiner, Why? Because she destroyed the Grey Death Legion.

Katherine was probably the most proposteriously writen character in the book, made to basicly be as evil as inhumanly possible and some how constantly writen into scenarios where this wasn't completely obvious and even if that was the case would still gain allies because of the amount of backstabbing she done, and for some reason she remained supported? Basicly we're given no real justification even in her eyes as to why she's as evil as she is, and in doing so it makes her so one dementional that all you want is for her to die some horrible death. The icing on the cake is she for the most part gets away with everything, and even when she's supposedly 'stopped' she pretty much is given leave to continue on with this one-dimentional grasp of power.

She single-handedly killed any interest I had in the Inner Sphere, and was pretty much the last straw when it came to my love of the fiction. If that wasnt bad enough, after reading Twilight of the Clans (An endevor I pray no one puts themselves through), you come to the conclusion that the most interesting characters are side-notes that are still one dementional, but because you have maybe a paragraph of interaction with them as a reader so you're left to fill out the blanks to make a more interesting character than was otherwise writen.

Katherine was a horrible individual, but it was more so that she was horribly writen that made me disgusted with her and her actions. The least they could have given us was the reward of her death by the end, but the couldn't even come up with the decency to do that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users