219 replies to this topic

#201 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

A possible work around would be to download MSI Afterburner and underclock the GPU by 100pts on both GPU and memory.

What is not noted on several of the posts are system config and if it is after a long session or anytime. Again, for some of the posts.

#202 Floowid

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have an old(ish) machine that was running Vista and I was crashing all the time. Last week I installed a fresh install of Windows 7 (after running the tool to confirm that my machine could run 7) and I am still crashing 3 or 4 per times per evening of play. Sometimes more. My video card is a GTX 550 TI. I run the game on low settings at 1280 x 720, asking as little as possible from my machine. I really love this game, but I will not put real $$ into it until I feel it is stable. Please fix it, I'm just dying to spend my money!

#203 MetalMutt

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Getting really sick of this crash, it's been going on for months and months. It happened under Windows 7, and now is happening under Windows 8 as well. It just happened to me in the first match I played tonight.

I am running a GeForce 9800+ GTX, 512 MB. Yeah it's old, but it runs the game pretty well now on lowish settings. I have a pentium dual core CPU E6300 (wolfdale), 8 gigs of ram, and an SSD.

Edited by MetalMutt, 21 July 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#204 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Various reasons for the crashes, anywhere from connection being lost to memory errors for all types of reasons, etc.

1. Can of Compressed air, blow out heat sinks and make sure fans are blowing all the time.
2. Control Panel, power Options, set to best performance
3. Under clocking video card GPU/memory.
4. Limit FPS via user.cfg in MWO sys_MaxFps = 60 (40, 30, 20)
The above are troubleshooting tips.

#205 PanzerFurrry

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'm sorry, but this is no hardware/driver error.

1. I' have a desktop PC, with 5 additional fans, CPU temperature never exceeds 65°C.
2. Done
3. I have a Radeon 5670 1 GB with 785/1000 MHz. this is a 66W card and never exceeds 55°C.
4. Limit is set to 30 FPS, Vsync=on, FPS is stable (30).

Those damn errors still occur, even when spectating another player or after the match at scoreboard screen.

#206 Floowid

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

This is pretty ridiculous. I tried to play tonight. 4 games, 2 crashes. I played one game in my Centurion, went smoothly. Jumped in the Jaeger and locked up solid right after drop. So I downloaded and ran the repair tool. Fired up MWO again and successfully ran one game in the Jaeger, Switched to the trial Atlas, dropped into river city. I decided to check my framerates, pressed F9 and I was sitting at about 35 - 40 in game. Had to configure the weapons, no sooner had I gotten them all set - locked up solid again. Black screen, no amount of alt tabbing/task manager/black magic/voodoo will save it. Crashing 50% of the time is no fun. My machine is about 5 years old, not premium hardware by any stretch of the imagination, but I play several games, most are pretty 3D intensive (what isn't these days) and I don't have a problem with any other game.

You can tell me its my hardware all day long. I am pretty done jumping through hoops trying to get this VERY FUN GAME to run for me. What a bummer.

#207 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Floowid, it is frustrating when a game is not running well for anyone. Understand though that with the FPS sitting around 35-40FPS indicates that either/or CPU/GPU is being maxed out, as it is hitting the hard cap of the components, even with it set to low settings.

1. Do you have a user.cfg in the main MWO directory? If not, go to that directory and create it, user.cfg (have to ask, are you able to see the 3 letters after any of the files in that directory?) If not, click on View at the top of the folder, check mark file name extensions.

In that file, put the following, which caps MWO for you at 30 FPS:
sys_MaxFps = 30

That should reduce some of the stress. The idea is to reduce the demand on the system cause MWO minimum settings may not be enough. This falls in line with those of us running higher end systems, FPS hitting its cap in Full Screen mode in the mid hundred, increasing the heat output which can have an effect on other system components as well as have the fans roaring at near max. For us, either Vsync or playing in Full Windowed mode caps FPS at 60 FPS.

Anyway, if the crashes have dropped some but not completely, try the following:

Next step, download/install MSI Afterburner, drop the speed by 100pts for both GPU and memory and save it as setting 5. Make sure to check mark to run at startup.

Control Panel, Power Settings, Best Performance.

Again, the above can be viewed as troubleshooting steps. Not everyone are having issues with the crashing, for those who are, the question is why? Is it all due to the game itself? Cryengine is here to stay and it is not a low end gaming engine. And each game is different on how, overall, it affects a computer system.

I am not a PGI CSR/tech support. All I can offer is over 20 years (dang, I feel old now) of helping other players to get a game running on their respective systems. Many have appreciated it, a few were hard knocks who, even with their IT experience, refused to try/test some steps until their spouses mentioned that at times they could be very hard headed, followed the suggestions offered and discovered issues with their systems (which did take some IT equipment to find one issue).

It is your choice on whether or not any of the instructions are followed. PC games are not console games. Console games allow developers to code to one set of instructions, without worrying about a variety of equipment configurations and software.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 July 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#208 Floowid

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Tarl. In looking at the logs, every crash is preceeded by lines like this:
============================ PrepareLevel canyonnetwork ============================
Initializing default materials...
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop1.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop1.dds]
======== canyonnetwork is loaded in 24.3 sec ========
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread

I am a software engineer by profession (business software, so I am admittedly out of my depth with games) but I know what a Runaway thread is, and that it probably is not related to my graphics card. I will try limiting my FPS and see if that helps. If my install is bad, then it went bad inside of a week and crashed the second game after running the repair tool.

#209 Floowid

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Tarl,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just played 4 games in a row! I will keep this thread updated if the crashing comes back. I want to hope the user.cfg file was the trick.

#210 Floowid

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

That worked for a while. Got 7 games in. Then 2 crashes in a row.

Floowid out.

#211 cookiewill

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

I also have some freezes sometimes. I don't see anything particular when it happens, except for the freeze itself.

I had a freeze in my last two games. I'm playing with a new mech, not sure if it has a connection though, probably not. Also it's pretty hot in France now, so much that i'm all sweaty, perhaps computer heats too much. (should add more heatsinks lol)

Edited by cookiewill, 23 July 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#212 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

I bought a new Hero mech and premium time, have yet to finish ONE damned match today from this mess.

My support tickets were a waste of energy so far. Can I have my $80 back for PP if I'm not allowed to complete a single match now?

Just got kicked from training grounds as soon as mech started up......

Edited by Die Primate Die, 24 July 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#213 Waylander40K

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Starting getting freezes since the last patch. Every other game, mechwarrior either locks up completely, or after a minute or so, comes back with my mech perhaps halfway across the map for example.
Have been trying to maximise performance of my system and so will try scaling back and some of the suggested tips in this link to resolve.

#214 Karrig Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 167 posts
  • LocationBreak room, getting coffee

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I run the repair tool all the time, delete the shaders and have reinstalled...Last week I crashed at start up, mid-game or end-game, 6/8 games... I have about 65% chance of crash and this is becoming more common with the last 2 patches for me. With everything on low, AA off and over 30pfs capped at 40, with fov set to 80.

Tarl Cabot, thank you, out of most peoples post, you are one of the few to reply with something useful

I'll be replying once I give some of your modifications a try.

Edited by Karrig, 25 July 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#215 Karrig Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

sadly ...still every few (less then 5) matches I'll crash.

game freezes, attempt alt-tab, black screen, no error messages, use task manager to close program

#216 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Just to check, have you sent the necessary information to support@mwmercs.com?

And when it freezes, how long had you left it running, how many minutes?

1st, the logs in the MWO folder. Delete both Omicron logs, to start off fresh. After the first crash, copy those logs elsewhere before you start up again. Ya can paste these later after you are finished or when you have time.
Karrig, bring up task manager, click on Performance tab then memory.

Check it before and during every match, paying attention to committed. Do a reboot and then note where it is at before you start up MWO, then after each match.

The above is to see if there is a memory bug of some sort. Generally they will show up when the commit increases til it hits its max for the OS. And what version of windows are you running? Likely best to post dxdiag and provide the information in its own thread.

#217 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostFloowid, on 22 July 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Thanks Tarl. In looking at the logs, every crash is preceeded by lines like this:
============================ PrepareLevel canyonnetwork ============================
Initializing default materials...
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop0.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/ppc_beam_b.dds]
[Error] Error: CTexMan::ImagePreprocessing: Scaling of 'textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop1.dds' compressed texture is dangerous (only single mip) [File=textures/particles/weapons/laser_beam_1x4_lop1.dds]
======== canyonnetwork is loaded in 24.3 sec ========
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread
[Error] Runaway thread

I am a software engineer by profession (business software, so I am admittedly out of my depth with games) but I know what a Runaway thread is, and that it probably is not related to my graphics card. I will try limiting my FPS and see if that helps. If my install is bad, then it went bad inside of a week and crashed the second game after running the repair tool.

Now that is intersting on the texture side. I wonder if reworking the textures will help. I could do that in gimp easily.
Don't know anything about a runaway thread, what does that mean?

#218 Karrig Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Forums are buggy.....but I wanted to PM you asking about advising with the necessary information that the support wants, I have sent them copies of the Omicron file, never got a response from it though

I am not seeing anything in the forums for what and how to submit the information, ether that or my eyes are failing me.

Again thanks for the help

#219 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostPanzerFurrry, on 22 July 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but this is no hardware/driver error.

1. I' have a desktop PC, with 5 additional fans, CPU temperature never exceeds 65°C.
2. Done
3. I have a Radeon 5670 1 GB with 785/1000 MHz. this is a 66W card and never exceeds 55°C.
4. Limit is set to 30 FPS, Vsync=on, FPS is stable (30).

Those damn errors still occur, even when spectating another player or after the match at scoreboard screen.

For a Phenom II 64° celsius is the limit.

#220 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hai, forums and messaging are all fubar, Karrig. I see the initial messages but not the content :(

You will want to include dxdiag.

The Dxdiag file contains your current PC specs and helps the customer support and development team get to the source of certain issues.[/color]

From the Start Menu select Run or Press and hold the Windows key and the letter 'R' your keyboard In the Run dialog box type "dxdiag"[/color]

-Click OK

-Click the "Save All Information" button found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

-Save this text file to your Desktop

As for those texture errors, they have been showing up in the logs, crash or no crash.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 August 2013 - 06:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users