Why Is This 2X Not A More Popular Brawler?

108 replies to this topic

#1 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d713d562f2ca8c3

Its like a mini Atlas. I know the missiles won't all come out at once, which sucks, but other than that it looks kinda solid to me. But I don't think I've ever see it on the field.

edit:

I don't actually own a 2X so I might be missing something, I skipped it for the 3D, Ilya, and 4X, but now that I'm looking at the variant, it really is like a mini Atlas.

Edited by Broceratops, 30 January 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#2 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

I think it is great. I get solid damage with mine. The fact that the missles don't come out at once takes time to get used too but it is a great brawling mech.

#3 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Seems like you're making a mistake, putting that AC20 ammo in your arm.

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Too easy to take out the torsos at the brawling range. Damn things just melt.

#5 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostRoland, on 30 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

To me no ... because its more likely I lose the AC/20 than I lose the arm. And then I have a RT with useless ammo in it. In any case it would be really unlikely I don't go through 7 rounds before one of these things happen.

#6 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

It's a pretty good build, I ran it back when I had the 2X. My only problem with it was that the AC/20 is very fragile in the torso of a CTF. Lost it mid-battle too many times to recall. Ended up stacking the armor up front in that section, which helped a lot but still it was a bit of a bummer. At the time Guass rifles didn't explode, so I eventually went that route before selling it.

#7 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

I tried the 2X 3D and 4X and I liked the 3D the most. The 1X was sort of similar to the 3D I think it was.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Did anyone else think this was about the Raven 2X? I clicked on the link and saw AC20, ML, ML, SRM... SRM... STD engine... whaaaa- <mind explodes>

#9 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

...because you're going 10 kph slower than SRM36 Catapult, with less Alpha potential, significantly less torso twist and more targetting problems (missiles coming out in 2 shots, handling 3 different weapon systems and moving arms)?

I both used and seen a "mini Atlas" used to great effect, but it's just not the best, easiest, fastest brawler in the game currently. It's not popular because it's not the lowest-hanging fruit, and at this speed you're sitting duck for Our Corpulent Overlords :huh: .

I personally prefer it with 2SRM4, a bit more potent engine and 3rd ton of ammo in the head.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 30 January 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#10 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Yeah I guess it's not as good as the A1 and K2 options. BLAST YOU CATAPULT! FOILED AGAIN.

#11 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostRoland, on 30 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Considering the build is already a hair light on armor, I wouldn't sacrifice even more to fit case into that LT to put the ammo there. If his right side is getting shot at, he will lose the torso before he loses the arm in most cases. Plus, if he can't get a 7 measly shots off before losing that section to prevent an ammo explosion, he shouldn't be using an ammo based weapon.

However, Broceratops, I have considered a similar build. I just have let my cataphracts go to the way side while I work on other projects. I was looking at taking my 3D tossing jump jets on it, and hit people with an AC20 from on top of buildings. Kinda like if spider man was fat and instead of shooting web, was a mech.

#12 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Its great. Its not as good as the SRM Cat or the AC20 Cat for face on face tradeoffs but with some manuevering you can still come out ahead. Also it has some medium range options from large lasers or if you choose a smaller ballistic. Here is my current build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6653ff09a160ff

#13 Phemeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

maybe because the cataphract feels like paper and any "brawler" can take it down no problem, so it shouldnt brawl. All assault mechs will rip it to bits, and with no weight restrictions why wouldnt you run an assault to brawl with?

#14 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I struggled to love the 2X at first until I found a build I liked (TAG - RA, LL - RT, LL - LT, LRM20 - LA).

#15 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 30 January 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Yeah I guess it's not as good as the A1 and K2 options. BLAST YOU CATAPULT! FOILED AGAIN.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of fun. If you have money, I'd say go for it. Just be prepared to be beaten at your own brawling game from time to time.

You can also make a pretty hard-hitting 2x with XL engine (prat's CT is quite big and often tanks hits, so sides don't explode that easily), and make it go 84-86 kph. I hear good things about AC10 3ml 2SRM6 build, but you need to make those AC10 shots count. I can't on my potato laptop's framerate, so I switched to AC20 and standard engine, but... it's an option nowadays.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 30 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#16 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I run streaks in that left arm and a standard 300 engine. I ran it long enough to to unlock the module slot but... I just like the Ilya and the 4X better. They play different roles of course, they aren't really brawlers; but yea, the Cataphract IMO is better at medium-long range fire support than it is at brawling for all the reasons listed above (mainly the torsos coming off too easily).

#17 jshill78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Only build you'll ever need once you try it:

CTF-2X

Other than that one, you're doing it wrong.

After Feb. 19th swap one of the torso LL's for an ER PPC and rarely worry about ECM jamming your Streaks.

Edited by jshill78, 30 January 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#18 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postjshill78, on 30 January 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Only build you'll ever need once you try it:

CTF-2X

Thanks like a mini version of my Awesome 9M (which is a death machine).

#19 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Because the catapult makes a better brawler than the cataphract due to torso twist and mech design.

logic need not apply

#20 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

I've always had a lot of fun with my MLAS, ac-20, 2 srm6 2x with a 280 std. also have a lot of fun with a std 200, tag, ac-10, 2 lrm-15s, and mlas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users