Saitek X52 Mwo Profile/guide

16 replies to this topic

#1 MadogPL

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStettin/Cracow

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Ok... first of all, this is guide FROM NEWBE TO NEWBE players. Just for sake of sparing them few hours of configuration and frustration. I want it to be in KISS* style.

INTODUCTION

Keep in mind that:

1. most of those info can be used in most of the joysticks, but this guide is FOR X52 SAITEK. Not PRO one ( finally! Posted Image ).

2. I'm not experienced joystick player, I've just made it work without crashing game/comp/other (and it's not that obvious as I thought when tried first time plaing with it). And this is mainly guide HOW TO MAKE IT STABLE.

3. I've gathered information mainly from this forum, and all glory goes to :

a ) EternalCore and his guide: http://mwomercs.com/...ix/page__st__60

b ) Paul Inouye and his guide: http://mwomercs.com/...joystick-users/

c ) players that were willing to share their experience.

you read them, you know almost everything. I've gathered all info in one place.

4. It's Saitek X52 freshly installed guide. I didn't mod it, change values, sensitivity, or any other stuff.

lets begin...

HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE THROUGH Saitek X52 (non pro)

1. Installation.

Yes, install your joystick and SST... matter of fact just read 3a of Introduction, and there is nice info about it. You go website, download both files... bla bla bla... I'll just skip it.

2. Frustra... i've ment: Configuration IN GAME.

After you installed this S**t, I've ment: your super-shiny-favorite joystick you've probably saw this:

Spoiler

And you are happy! Everithing is working, everything is nice, it's smooth, sooo many buttons, and they are working, clicking, shining and all that coolness on your desktop.

You're so happy that you want to jump into the game and test it.

Posted Image

First step you will have to do is to... DELETE ALL JOY BUTTONS IN GAME>OPTIONS.

Yes. All of them. How do you do that?

TIP: you can delete buttons by replacing them one by one, with for example fire button(it can be any button). You double click "TURN LEFT" -> fire button, double click "TURN RIGHT"->fire button, "SHOW MAP"->fire button. and so on...

There, i've just saved you 15 min of annoying monologe "why can't I delete this button?! For god sake..."

You can achive the same by editing some actionmap.xml with notepad++ and assign... bla bla bla. KISS*.

Reason for all of this is to be sure that there is no conflict between game and SST (Saitek Smart Technology - not that smart AT ALL).

Can you assign one, tiny, little button to one unimportant option in game? Look up. Cat image.

I've just saved you few hours of testing and frustration "why my joystick crashed".

Now, last 3 positions you CAN assign. This is: Torso Twist & Pitch (joystick), and Trottle.

It should look like this:

KEYS
Spoiler

3. Editing user.cfg

This is combination of both guides, and the most "fresh" and unexplored area. How to edit them? Go 3a/3b of Introduction for more info.

TIP: use notepad++ for ALL editing in this guide http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ (alter program if you know why notepad++, if you don't: cat image)

Main body I've taken from EternalCore but I've couldn't set up right sensitivity, so I took two lines from Paul Inouye
cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75

and changed them into 13 and 1.25 (one player was playing on this settings). This settings are good enough for long range shots and CC. For now Posted Image

MY X52 user.cfg

(update after 19.March.2013)
Spoiler

(before 19.March.2013)
Spoiler

For the first time Joystick was playble at this moment. BUT... YOU will need one more step to try this out.

Few adnotations (that will save you time):

a )

"gp_mech_view_zoom_level1_sensitivity_modifier, (ALTER AT OWN RISK)"

I've altered and nothing happend. It's there just because it does nothing bad also, and keeps me remembered that maybe someday guy smarter then me will make lvl 3 zoom less sensitive for sniper purposes.

b )

cl_joystick_throttle_range : I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value.

Changed it, from 0.1, to 0.9, to 0.09, and 0.01. This is probably ON/OFF switch. You can't ajust your TROTTLE to be 30% backward, 70% foward.

c ) backup, backup... always backup your files.

4. Saitek X52 Profile SST

I wanted to find some "normal" x52 on web - I couldn't. So, I made my own. Importatn thing: probably it's not the most effective one, because it has few days of testing, and I'm not used to play with joystick. So best thing is to do it yourself (I don't know what is keysetup of advanced player because all of them have PRO model, and I hate them for that, I want it too... bas..rds) Tested few weeks - it's working good. Only one bug, that I can't fix (i've just adopted game-style). Sometimes when legs turning AND constant fire (for example-Machine Gun) it stops turning. Some conflict. Just stop firing for 1 sec - conflict gone.

Anyway I will try to "sell you" my vision of setup, and by the way - I'm couting on some advanced player to maybe help me out optimise it.

So, you have two options:

A ) WAY OF THE SITH

Open Notepad++, make new file, copy code below, save it as .pr0 file. Copy into C:UsersPublicDocumentsSaitek SD6 Profiles (default) and load it in SST or SST launcher.

Spoiler

Remember that all keys are assign to my keysetup. I don't recall any major changes, but check my keys on image (look up for KEYS and spoiler tab). It should fit. If not change in SST or in game to the "proper" (my) one.

Done. You're good to test it.

My setup is:

Joystick (image below):

Mode 3 is COMBAT MODE.
Joystick is ment to be your aiming and firing weapon, it has blocked Z axis (rotation). Next Target is easy to fast click, zoom little less important, ECM just in case. Below Visions. On toggle: minor stuff. Scorebord programmed to be on/off (in SST: command to constant push the button)

Mode 2 is WEAPON GROUPING. You won't probably use Mode 2 after few first ajustments to the groups.

JOYSTICK
Spoiler

Throttle (image below)

I don't have pedals, and the idea of joystick Z axis to turn was a bad one. Only solution was to assign left/right to the front POV. It's not very comfortable solution, finger may slip from this button, but I had no better idea how to turn, and in little practice - it's getting job done. Big buttons were great to override heat shutdown and powerdown. Thumb button: Adv. Zoom. I don't have one, but this is the button that should be pushed in "calm" situations. Your hand is worried about throttle and left/right turs, and muscels (of my hand at least) were not very happy that they have to also push thumb-button. Jump Jets - I don't have one, don't know is it good idea Posted Image

THROTTLE
Spoiler

B ) WAY OF THE BUDDA

Open SST, lern it, adjust keys to your fit. Done!

Few VERY important tips when doing it by yourself.

1. SST accepts 15 characters in key description. Program WON'T WARN YOU ABOUT IT (Bas**rds). Too long: crash. Why? Don't know. Probably it won't fit in build-in throttle led-screen.
Effect: buttons will stop to respond and there will be LAST PUSHED button on throttle screen. This is the bugged one.
Solution: unplug X52, plug again. Closing program won't help. If computer starts to behave strange: restart. Rename little *****.

-= Most stupid example: SST has default name for Left Mouse Button. Yes, it's above 15 characters... you are given program that has in-build flaw right inside.=- Posted Image

2. SST will probably crash if there is any, ANY conflict with in-game controls. No, he won't inform you about it.

3. Avoid assigning same keys into different descriptions. I'm not sure about it, because I had 15 charecters problem and button duplicate in the same time.

4. TEST your profile on SST testing "thing" (one of the tabs in SST). For example: there is "Clutch button" on throttle with "i" on it. In SST you can assign this key to do anything, but in reality: it has his own purpose of changing profiles or something. It was working on SST but in test - it did nothing. I did managed somehow to assign it (earlier) to the game options, but it made a conflict, bla bla bla, crash.

5. SST will crash anyway for some stupid reson, so RULE OF THUMB is: everything in SST or everything in game. This is my theory, so I won't die for it.

So.. I hope I've saved you some time. I've spent 10h on lerning all of that ( mostly by shouting: wtf?! )

If I will come with some ideas (or I will steal them form someone - I'll post it, and claim as my own Posted Image ) to this config - i'll update.

Comment, advise, buy me a beer Posted Image

====================================================================

* Keep It Simple Stupid

Edited by MadogPL, 20 March 2013 - 01:34 AM.

#2 Jreyy Randor

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the write-up! I too am having issues with my x52 (non-pro), will give this a try.

#3 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hey thanks for this.

#4 Latonia

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

after copying the code to required files when im in game i dont have a ui at all, all i see is the cockpit so i have to guess where im aiming, any help to get it back?

#5 Waverider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 199 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

Is analog turning already working? What would you change in the setup?

When I played MW3 I always used the twist fo the torso and the stick for turning - but - the main difference is that when you move the twist or stick back the torso centered and this helps a lot with the precision. How is MWO now with joysticks?

#6 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostWaverider, on 07 March 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Is analog turning already working? What would you change in the setup?

When I played MW3 I always used the twist fo the torso and the stick for turning - but - the main difference is that when you move the twist or stick back the torso centered and this helps a lot with the precision. How is MWO now with joysticks?

Leg turning is still digital as of this writing.

#7 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostCyBerkut, on 07 March 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Leg turning is still digital as of this writing.

but sounds like analog turning is coming soon (march?)
just ordered my x52 pro, hope to use this as a guide, thanks

Edited by Worm Seraphin, 08 March 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#8 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostWorm Seraphin, on 08 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

but sounds like analog turning is coming soon (march?)
just ordered my x52 pro, hope to use this as a guide, thanks

It is supposed to be coming this month.

#9 Dater

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostCyBerkut, on 08 March 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

It is supposed to be coming this month.

I really hope so!

I signed up for the closed beta because I loved to play Mech Warrior 2 in the 90's and was always sad no one of my friends wanted to play it in multiplayer with me... a few years ago I bought a Saitek X52 for Mechwarrior 4 Free Edition.. which was fun for a while... Of course my onboard gfx couldn't handle Mechwarrior Online as well as I hoped (LOL) so a few days ago I bought a Radeon 7850 just for this game. (i usually only play on xbox360... to bad the game wont come out for that)

And my jaw almost dropped to the floor when I set up my Joystick and tried to move my legs left and right...

You have to fix this (please)! o:-)

#10 MadogPL

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStettin/Cracow

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

After a while... I must admit, that playing on HOTAS is... like nightmare difficulty mode - It's hard, easy to die and satisfaction that you play with HOTAS is mostly all you can get :P

I think game right now is not siuted for joystick. You can get used to it, but mouse will win over you almost every time.

#11 MadogPL

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStettin/Cracow

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Anyhow, after patch 19.March.2013 there were some control changes and I've updated my user.cfg file (in firs post there is new code).

#12 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

hey guys,

im thinking of picking up the X52 Pro for MWO. Im curious as to the torso lock option, if you use it, and also how effective the stick is at aiming with the circle(arms) does the circle go all over or is it fairly steady? can you effectively use freelook to arm twist & shoot? you find you are able to be fairly precise with the stick vs the mouse?

im a long time joystick Mechhead, but havent had a stick in 5 years. I really want to get back on it, I love the saitek and the fact it has 3 axis for torso twist & turning all ont he stick, just trying to decide if it is worth the cash and how much my aim/control of the mechs arms might suffer, i use arm shots and freelook a lot, and want some idea of how it handles on this joystick.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 05 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#13 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hello.
So I thought I would add some alternatives.
I have an X52 and using the provided config files and instructions, got it working. But it was not fun, and I played a lot worse with the joystick. So I am stuck with my track mouse and N52, instead of the joystick and Throttle for the moment.

My x52 throttle is still plugged in, and I got it so I can play with the throttle instead of the N52.

Here is a Link to the Throttle thread: http://mwomercs.com/...throttle-guide/

Edited by Waxon, 08 September 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#14 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

If you want real answers to X52 Pro problems, MADOGPL has the answers. They work and very well. This company should be paying him for his work. I do say that once you have cleared your bindings leave the last reverse throttle their. Everything you want to do can then be put into the MWO bindings. I will be putting it on photo bucket so you can see it soon. FANTASTIC work DOG meow. Use the after march user.cfg file latch under notepad all files. Then drag and drop easy. Targeting is much closer to mouse.

Edited by shotokan5, 26 September 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#15 Taifling

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:50 AM

Have any one links on joystick x52/mouse setup? Or maybe some advice?

#16 Puzzler

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

I'm definitely going to be giving this a go. I have several problems with my hands (Too much gaming) so I have been using 2 joysticks (A logitech and a Cyborg) to play a little game called Hawken for months, and they serve me well. (And it's a twitch based shooter to boot) I bought an X52 for Elite Dangerous and I am now certainly going to be giving this a go. (I am very new to MWO, haven't even done the tutorial yet as I've been waiting for a good setup. Never thought of checking the forums)
I really hope I can play with the hotas as I am so used to it with the other game.
I will also be using Voiceattack for all none combat operations such as switching on Heat vision etc and that is an excellent programme.

One thing I don't get, is, that in Hawken I use one stick for look and aim and one for moving the mech (Including turning) so I'm unsure how the left hand controller will work other than for F/B movement.

Looking forward to giving this a whirl and joining the MWO community.

#17 Logan Armstrong

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hey all! First time posting on the site. Been wanting to play for a LONG time now. I am trying desperately to get the game to work with my X-52. I have been reading the forums and quite honestly do not see a complete set of instructions on how to do so. What I am looking for is a SIMPLE and COMPLETE set of instructions on what I need to do to make the game work with the X-52. And if possible a profile (base line) to load into the Saitek software if necessary. Please, don't just say to read all of the scattered and confusing postings....been there, done that. I have tried repeatedly to play the game using the mouse and WASD keys, but its a no go. I am to old school. I need to use the stick and throttle.
Please help!
Sincerely
Ken
Packhntr

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users