So How To Have Fun In This Game ?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Rawrzor

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm a pretty old mech fanboy watched the cartoons and played most single player mechwarriors. Once i saw there was a online mechwarrior i was like YEAH LET'S DO THIS. Now +/- 40 defeats and 1 win later i'm starting to wonder if this game will ever be fun.

The only thing i seem to be doing is hop in my light mech (since it's the only one i can afford) spawn and die. I never ever get above 200 damage and only made one kill with luck sofar.

This game doesn't seem to have much going for it if this is how new players are handled. The trial mechs are mostly ****** since they lack customization options and by that have some serious disadvantages over people that really own these mechs.

Then comes the problem that you only earn like 50K per match so the endless torture untill you finnaly have a mech worthy talking about would be well over 12 hours of dieying.

All in all i didn't expect to be top of the food chain by just entering the game, but after 2 - 3 hours of playing i would atleast expect a mech that can actually hold his own a bit.

So before i delete this game from my hard disk to be forgotten forever (what probably allot of people already did) any tips on making this game enjoyable or farmable ? (and i don't mean tips like: stay with your team since thats logical)

#2 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

You can go join a clan/corp if you can't take it any longer. You can get carried by their 4 mans. you'll also have people to talk to and stuff.

Or you could just tough it out like me and play 50 + games solo to save for a mech. Really, it gets better after you got your own mech.

----- Whoops, you already got a mech. A light, yeah? What mech is it?

Edited by Kaspirikay, 10 February 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#3 Rawrzor

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 10 February 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

You can go join a clan/corp if you can't take it any longer. You can get carried by their 4 mans. you'll also have people to talk to and stuff.

Or you could just tough it out like me and play 50 + games solo to save for a mech. Really, it gets better after you got your own mech.

----- Whoops, you already got a mech. A light, yeah? What mech is it?

It's a raven rvn-4x with one large laser, one srm6, 2 machine guns, double heatsinks and ammo that comes with it.

#4 Tikkamasala

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Maybe you should wait for the implementation of a proper matchmaker coming in one of the next few patches and probably add another week for the system (and players) to settle down. That way you'll mostly get to fight other new players (and pre-made groups manipulating their groups average Elo).

#5 Termius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

It took me a while to get to a point where I was effective while playing MWO. Now that I have 500+ games It is a lot easier to do well in a match and therefore have more fun. Getting stomped is never fun, but once you learn how your mech fights best you will be better off.

This game IMO takes time an patience, if you don't have those go play Hawken. Otherwise enjoy MWO :)

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostRawrzor, on 10 February 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

I'm a pretty old mech fanboy watched the cartoons and played most single player mechwarriors. Once i saw there was a online mechwarrior i was like YEAH LET'S DO THIS. Now +/- 40 defeats and 1 win later i'm starting to wonder if this game will ever be fun.

The only thing i seem to be doing is hop in my light mech (since it's the only one i can afford) spawn and die. I never ever get above 200 damage and only made one kill with luck sofar.

This game doesn't seem to have much going for it if this is how new players are handled. The trial mechs are mostly ****** since they lack customization options and by that have some serious disadvantages over people that really own these mechs.

Then comes the problem that you only earn like 50K per match so the endless torture untill you finnaly have a mech worthy talking about would be well over 12 hours of dieying.

All in all i didn't expect to be top of the food chain by just entering the game, but after 2 - 3 hours of playing i would atleast expect a mech that can actually hold his own a bit.

So before i delete this game from my hard disk to be forgotten forever (what probably allot of people already did) any tips on making this game enjoyable or farmable ? (and i don't mean tips like: stay with your team since thats logical)

You get 8 millon in cadet bonuses for a reason...

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostRawrzor, on 10 February 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

It's a raven rvn-4x with one large laser, one srm6, 2 machine guns, double heatsinks and ammo that comes with it.

Yeah thats not a good build. I did my Raven phase before ECM was added and it was a hard grind. You should have gone 3L or bought a Jenner. Get rid of the machine guns they are worthless.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's much more fun with a team. Even when you lose, you have guys there to help you laugh or vent about it.

The new matchmaker comes Feb 19th, should make things more even for both sides.

You might want to think about making a fresh account (with brand new Cadet Bonus) and buying a more rookie-friendly mech next time, such as the much-loved HBK 4SP, or spending a little cash (keep your eye open for sale items, the 4SP was on sale last week and that was a great time to buy one)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 10 February 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#9 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Congratulations.

You have bought one of the worst mechs in this game.

#10 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

well there's your problem.

Check out the Guides section of the forums.

http://mwomercs.com/...orum/94-guides/

Pay attention to the pinned topics.

And yeah PGI knows that they need to add more information to the mechlab. We all know it. They're working on it.

View PostCodejack, on 10 February 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

The game is at a crisis point; come back in a month, the game will be either better or gone.

LOL

Edited by Sug, 10 February 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#11 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

The game is at a crisis point; come back in a month, the game will be either better or gone.

#12 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Don't stand still. Ever. If you have speakers/headphones go get on one of the public teamspeak servers. Even if you don't want to run in a group you can find people who will help you out with loading out your mech and give some general pointers on how to pilot.

#13 Rawrzor

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Uhm so how do i recognize the really good mechs. It's not like they have a tag with "this mech is **** avoid it" or "you will love this mech buy now".

Since your money income is fairly low i can't try all of them till i found a OP one.

#14 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Machine guns are useless. Seriously, they haven't been balanced yet, and really do pretty much nothing. I know, I ran a cicada with 4 of them for about a dozen matches to see if I could make it work.

With a raven, you may have some better luck switching out the srm6 for a ssrm2. Yes, it's less damage, but it always hits if you achieve lock-on. SSRM2 ravens scare me a lot more than a SRM 6.

If you aren't carrying an XL engine, you may want to consider it. the 4X can get up to a 245 engine.

The ballistic slots, I'm not honestly sure what you should do with. The raven really doesn't have the weight allowance to take advantage of ballistics. Maybe a UAC5, or a couple of AC2s to distract people.

Also, you could just implement the energy slots. Cramming a couple of Large Lasers in there isn't a bad idea, though I'm not sure they would fit with the XL engine in. if they can, would give you god range and an 18 point damage shot. Not shabby.

The main thing about lights is playstyle. You cant go toe-to-toe, and if you snipe, it's really easy for someone to just slap a couple of PPCs down your cockpit. pair up with a heavy or an assault, and whatever he attacks, flank it and attack it with him. Shooting arms off of things really helps your team, and is very satisfying. Also, a lot of heavy's, with Cataphracts and Catapults being primary suspects, tend to short their back armor. Sometimes you can strip the back plate off of a mech before they even turn around. When they do, your teamies finish them. A raven with a streak 2 and a couple of large lasers would do this pretty well.

You can do quite well in a light. I pilot only a Jenner currently, and I usually get between 200 and 500 damage, and average a kill and a few assists a game. It just takes a different playstyle.

Good luck, hope to see you in game. :-)

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostRawrzor, on 10 February 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Uhm so how do i recognize the really good mechs. It's not like they have a tag with "this mech is **** avoid it" or "you will love this mech buy now".

Since your money income is fairly low i can't try all of them till i found a OP one.

Ask questions. Check the forum. Find a good Ts3 server.

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Stay with the group. Pick out someone with a custom mech and be their buddy.

Enemies with open triangles over their heads are not being targeted by your teammates. Find a solid triangle and help your team out.

http://mwomercs.com/...orum/94-guides/

Edited by Sug, 10 February 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#17 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Best way is to ask around. Avoid commandos and any raven that isn't the 3L. Eventualy you will get a feel for what variants can be made into something useful and which ones can't.

#18 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Commando-2D
Spider-5D
Raven-3L
Cicada-3M
Atlas-D-DC

Those mechs get ECM. The Raven has crazy hitboxes that make it really tough to kill, the Spider gets jump jets, the Commando gets 3 missile slots, the Cicada is a medium (it matches by weight class, so a good chance you will have more ECM than the enemy team), and the Atlas is the biggest mech in the game.

#19 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

inb4 get a mic, get on ts3, stomppugs is the only way to enjoy this game.

d'oh, too late

#20 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostAstroniomix, on 10 February 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Best way is to ask around. Avoid commandos and any raven that isn't the 3L.

Really? My Commando does quite well, especially for hunting other light ECM mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users