The (Mouse) Dilemma.

47 replies to this topic

#1 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I figured I'd go get me a 5 button mouse. To replace my quite-functional-and-accurate-but-''button-lacking''-3-buttons-ACER-mouse-that-came-with-a-2007-PC.

I thought ''bah, I want nothing 'pro-gammer' with a million macros and buttons with custom LED colors or anything, just more than 3 buttons!''

The maths I did behind estimating a price tag for such a tool was ''well, if I paid 60CAN$ for a USB Xbox360 controller - back in the days - perhaps I'd get a decent simplistic mouse for... 30$ TOP''

Man was I so wrong. I might not have the best computer store near-by, but all I could get was either very poorly designed ''gamer'' logitech, razer and another company I forgot the name (it had some testimonials from ''pro-gamers'' in it, right there I knew it was expensive for that sole reason)... mice for 50 to 90$, or one DECENTLY designed (my definition of decently design: simple design, one or two buttons on each SIDE of the mouse) for 100$... yeah that one had the testimonials.

What is this? Have I been out of the loop to the point of missing that now basic PC gear costs the price of jewels? I might just remap my weapon groups on my keyboard and mouse and ''deal with it'' that way instead. Cheaper and ''no-so-much'' less effective.

Anyone can advice me on cheap mouse hardware that gets the job done that has more than 3 buttons but less then 8? Or am I no longer in the era where that's possible? Thanks!

N.B.: An interesting piece of ''mouse'' was for sale as well, it had a chunk of keyboard on it, an analog-looking stick and god-knows-how many functions. Might as well say it was a keyboard-n-mouse in one. That one was 60$. I almost feel like I should have picked that, all things considered.

Edited by So who took Pilot Name as a name, 12 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Jreyy Randor

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have a Steelseries Sensei RAW with rubbery texture, 7 buttons for around 50 bucks canadian at future shop. This is my new mouse after my logitech mx500 which I used for around 7 years finally caved.

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Logitech G400 is what I'd get.

#4 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostJreyy Randor, on 12 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

I have a Steelseries Sensei RAW with rubbery texture, 7 buttons for around 50 bucks canadian at future shop.

Looks like the Steelseries I saw at the shop next door... but the dude was selling that twice the price! Might check out future shop then!

#5 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

I have a Razer Copperhead and am very happy with it (Even though it is of an advanced age). You should probably be able to get this mouse for under 30$ in the mean time if it is still on sale.

it has a few more buttons than you are asking for (2 buttons left and right respecively). But I would recomend that setup over the1 left and 1 right button. The reason for this is that the right side buttons are always very fiddly to reach (with the small or ring finger). Reaching for 2 seperate buttons on the left is much, much easier with your more dexterous thumb.

#6 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

If you are not a lefty, try the Logitech M500. It's simple as a rock yet reliable and accurate. Not a gamer's dream but a very effective piece of inexpensive hardware, with a scroll wheel you'll love, rubberized grip, laser sensor, a nice feel to its buttons and two large buttons on the left side: as Rushin Roulette said that's where you actually want them to be. My only complaint is its awful wheel button, that leaves me with only 4 effective weapon groups bound to the mouse. Not a biggie though.

#7 Alek Raynz

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Razer Naga Hex. $80 CAD, 6 thumb buttons. And lookitdat, we got 6 weapon groupings :)

#8 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

Not what you asked for, but the new Saitek MMO 7 (?) mouse. Follow on to the RAT 9. But it is pricey. Has a DPI/Aim button as well, for sniping.
Price: Out of this world
Looks: Kill it before it lays eggs in you. Cue Alien theme here, chest burst sequence

#9 Darknight99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

logitech m700 has about 7-8 buttons but I mostly use the 4 on the side and the two closest on the top. Its a bit expensive but I found it to be the most comfortable mouse I had used. The razer and the r.a.t hurt my hand.

#10 n0e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostJreyy Randor, on 12 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

... after my logitech mx500 which I used for around 7 years finally caved.

View PostFlapdrol, on 12 February 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Logitech G400 is what I'd get.

View PostParappaman, on 13 February 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

If you are not a lefty, try the Logitech M500.

Never had any problems myself with a logitech mouse. I have a mx518. I have this mouse since a few years can't recall when I bought it. Nothing spectacular but it works and it was cheap 40-50 €.

#11 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I got a Corsair M60 mouse recently and its a definite improvement over the standard computer mouse and its on sale for 40$ at Canada Computers right now.

Not really sure how it compares to the logitech's but I am satisfied with it.

#12 Joe Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I love my G700 only touch my keyboard for sterring legs, throttle, and rare buttons (Night vision,{I use Heat}, cockpit lights, weapon bay doors, full stop, center torso, ecm counter, and chat) THAT is it!

#13 Khaze

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Stay away from Razer. They were alright some years ago, but these days all their stuff breaks down within a year. Roccat goes in the same bin with Razer. Mad Catz mice aren't as bad, but the one-year warranty does not warm my heart.

I personally use a Logitech G500 and can vouch for their quality due to working in the industry.

#14 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I got a RAT 5 recently and although it looks funny, I really like it. Paid @$50 though.

#15 General Cheese

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Just went through this process myself. I recommend trying as many mice as you can.

I played for a day with:

Logitech g400
Logitech G9X
Roccat Kova
Cyborg RAT7

Every mouse seemed to handle the same as far as precision and tracking. The issues I had were the shape of the mouse and the position of the buttons.

I went with the RAT7 eventually because it was so adjustable. On every other mouse I had issues with button placement and couldn't use the mouse effectively.

#16 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I saw a 5 button logitek mouse at Best Buy 2 weeks ago cheap. Like 15 bucks.
Try shopping online. You might be surprised.

#17 Darth Mech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I've been using a Gear Head MPT3300. This is a 2.4 GHz wireless, 5 button mouse. Has your basic 2 on top( I use for wpn grp 1 & 2), 2 on left side (works with browser as forward and back) that I use for wpn grp 3 & 4, and the scroll wheel clicks as button 5. If I absolutley have to have 6 weapon groups then I use the space bar (usually that's my altered Alpha Strike anyway). All for $19.99US at Fry's Electronics. This works great for MWO and wonderfull for travel and using in internet cafe`s and loads the driver in seconds.
http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=7135116

View PostJoe Kid, on 22 February 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I love my G700 only touch my keyboard for sterring legs, throttle, and rare buttons (Night vision,{I use Heat}, cockpit lights, weapon bay doors, full stop, center torso, ecm counter, and chat) THAT is it!

Same here, the Gear Head 5 button mouse leaves my right hand OFF the keyboard and focused firing. My left hand is for steering only and maybe view changes.

#18 CallMeGunny

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0: $30 on newegg.

5 button mouse. (2 thumb buttons.)
9,000 DPI.
Takes coffee stains and beatings like an ATLAS.. Mine's missing paint from so much use and abuse, still works flawlessly.
Even has a nice gel-ish grip on the sides to make the thumb buttons more useful without messing up aim.

#19 Zahgurym

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

E-3lue Cobra Type-M. Been using it for almost 2 years, best mouse I've ever tried.
5 button(2 thumb buttons, if you're right handed)
3 DPI settings, 1600 highest
Very comfortable for large hands
Wired (personally, I would never use a wireless mouse for gaming)
Only $13 on amazon. http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Zahgurym, 23 March 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#20 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Cyborg R.A.T5 from Mad Catz works for me, cheap enough to be considered but with enough going on to improve your game. Love mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users