Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

^ good one, I'm a huge fan of that shotgun setup

#42 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I ran a Hunchback 4SP with dual large lasers, 2 SRM-6s w/ 2 tons of ammo, and 13 DHS. Max armor and the standard 200 fusion engine equipped. It puts out nearly as much damage as 5 medium lasers and 2 SRM-6s, but is a bit more long-ranged for those big maps :P Still runs pretty cool, too.

#43 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

HBK-4G

Crazy build. This is high risk high reward. Sit back and basically kill off anything wounded. You have the speed to react to anything too. 84KPH or 92.7KPH with tweak. AC 20 and 1 MDL is all you get but 4 tons of AC 20 AMMO. No heat issues and fast.

Don't like XL's on my hunchbacks. Just threw this out there cause I was curious if I could have a really fast Hunchback with AC 20 power and no ammo issues. Probably could reduce arms to nothing and add more stuff on this, but seems like gaming the game.

I'm open for suggestions as I'm not an expert mech builder.

Edited by WANTED, 29 March 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#44 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

The 4SP is the first mech I bought and it was a good one back when the maps most maps were smaller. Now with the the inclusion of 2 large maps I find the Hunchie really is struggling with the standard 5ML+2xSRM6 build that requires shorter ranges to be effective but does not have good enough speed to feel good about running from one cover to the next on Alpine. And frankly even before that it was getting tough as the SRMcat became the main predator of mediums that don't have much speed.

I could change it up by using LRMS but that's just not my thing, I'm more into direct long-range fire and the 4SP being at 50 ton just can't carry enough to make a decent Ballistic/PPC build. So nowadays my 4SP is rarely used, but I'm still keeping it more due to nostalgia than being happy with its' performance. Until there is any working weight limit for drops, you either go fast and agile or go with big damage. Anything in between has become less useful.

Edited by armyof1, 29 March 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#45 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

After starting this thread, and experimenting with ranged builds, in the end, I have gone back to my trusty 4G, with the typical AC20/3Mlas build. I really find the bigger maps have not turned into long range fights for the most part, or atleast not out of range of the 20 or ML's. My 4G runs at 92kph, so I use him as a fast response mech, and use cover to close distance.

I think long range fighting is effective, I just dont find it effective with a HBK for me.

#46 Blackadder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostWANTED, on 29 March 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

HBK-4G

Crazy build. This is high risk high reward. Sit back and basically kill off anything wounded. You have the speed to react to anything too. 84KPH or 92.7KPH with tweak. AC 20 and 1 MDL is all you get but 4 tons of AC 20 AMMO. No heat issues and fast.

Don't like XL's on my hunchbacks. Just threw this out there cause I was curious if I could have a really fast Hunchback with AC 20 power and no ammo issues. Probably could reduce arms to nothing and add more stuff on this, but seems like gaming the game.

I'm open for suggestions as I'm not an expert mech builder.

throw ferro on it, and reduce leg armor a bit and you can get the standard 3ml/ac20 build, if you want more armor throw ferro on it and get a 2nd ML.

#47 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

View Postslayerkdm, on 29 March 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

After starting this thread, and experimenting with ranged builds, in the end, I have gone back to my trusty 4G, with the typical AC20/3Mlas build. I really find the bigger maps have not turned into long range fights for the most part, or atleast not out of range of the 20 or ML's. My 4G runs at 92kph, so I use him as a fast response mech, and use cover to close distance.

I think long range fighting is effective, I just dont find it effective with a HBK for me.

If you like lasers with your AC, I'd recommend the HBK-4H. That was the first 'mech I ever purchased, and I loved it. I ran an AC/20 with 5 medium lasers, and it always put up a good fight.

#48 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 29 March 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

If you like lasers with your AC, I'd recommend the HBK-4H. That was the first 'mech I ever purchased, and I loved it. I ran an AC/20 with 5 medium lasers, and it always put up a good fight.

I agree 5Mlas is a nice package, but I know with my play style, I couldnt maintain the fire rate I like to. On hot maps I have to be careful with the 3Mlas/AC20 combo. I obviously lack trigger finger restraint. smile.

#49 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostDemoned, on 20 February 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

with alpine been the map i would build for.
I'm thinking about putting a LRM10 into one of the side torso slots on the
4SP and keeping 1 of the SRM6's, (again)
tried this build on the other smaller maps, it did work sort of, but it does need
more range to soften the enemy up before you close ranks on them.

i can see this build been very variable with more larger maps that's for sure.

That's what I use on my SP, except with an LRM5 and Artemis on both missiles and Beagle Active Probes. It would be a good mech, if I was a better pilot. :)

Edited by Blue Frog, 29 March 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#50 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostGBFrostbite, on 21 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

For those of you running Hunchies with LRMs and medium lasers how do you usually plan out your battle?

I find myself having a hard time with 'mechs that have weapons loadouts that operate at drastically different ranges like some of the ones listed here. What is your mindset for these matches to keep you focused on using your firepower effectively rather than losing yourself in a brawl when your LRMs would be more useful to the team?

I typically follow the Atlas and fire LRMs. picking off opposition with MLas as they get closer. I also have Beagle on my hunches so I can usually get spotting assists.

#51 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Here's the current loadout on my SP. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to adjust it so I can fit a bigger engine in it for more speed?
Thanks

http://HBK-4SP

#52 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

You can add the 260 or 250, which is not as bad as you think, because you gain the advantage of 2 more full 2.0 double heat sinks.

You also have room to use ferrous armour. Reduce leg armour to about 23 or so (not everyone likes to do this). I would lose the Artemis, your effective range with this is limited by your Mplas, so you should be fine without it, as your fighting from about 150 meters.

I think it will run too hot for constang brawling though. I just dont think HBK's have the capacity to dedicate enough HS to run that, unless you are running a P.

Edited by slayerkdm, 03 April 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#53 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostBlue Frog, on 03 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Here's the current loadout on my SP. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to adjust it so I can fit a bigger engine in it for more speed?
Thanks

http://HBK-4SP

Well, you can go to 3t of ammo and a 260 straight off if you remove artemis (or use Artemis 4s) and swap to standard medium lasers.
If you just switch to ML instead of MPL you can go to a 250 with the same ASRM6s and 2t of ammo.

In both cases you run MUCH cooler since the in-engine heatsinks (first 10) are true 2.0, whereas the external ones are 1.4
With the same number of heatsinks your cooling goes from 24.4 to 25.6. That and the ML runs cooler than the MPL.

#54 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl!

#55 Kaylos Thex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostMerchant, on 20 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

I just started running a 4H with Gauss, first tried this. Had some Gauss explosions and times when the engine got hit.

Now using this. Still hate when the RT is shot out. CASE protects from Gauss explosion?

Wish I could get a better speed engine but I'll live.

Yes, CASE protects against a Gauss explosion. However, you do not need the case on the other torso. Unlike normal auto cannons with explosive ammo, Gauss ammo is inert. They are solid ferrous metal darts that are propelled by a superconducting magnetic coil gun. A Gauss cannon explodes for one hit of 20 points, where 1 ton of AC ammo, if full, will do 100 points.

So I would move the AMS ammo to the other torso with CASE, remove the one from the left side, drop 8 points off each leg, and add another ton of Gauss ammo or medium laser.

#56 Daenyathos

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'm kinda surprised no one has said brought up my 4G build.

I made it fire support. Slow, long range, tons of ammo.

Get Endo and doubles.
3x AC/2s
2x ML

Engine size depends on how much ammo you want to carry. I have 450 rounds of ammo, so I can usually rain for almost all of the match.

All I have to do is hang back from the battle line, or hide behind an assault and I can fire for a good amount of time. As long as my hunch isn't blown off in the beginning of the battle I can pull in ~300+ damage easy, especially if you make every shot count.

My 4P and 4SP are kinda standard. Make them fast, put some lasers on them. Melt faces.

#57 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

My HBK 4P is the standard with 9 ML and a STD 260. Its pretty fast, so you can get in range very easy.

I bought a 4SP and i am going to try this: HBK-4SP

4 arm mounted large lasers should deliver pretty accurate damage. But i need some DHS to test it.

#58 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostSchwarzerPeter, on 04 April 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

My HBK 4P is the standard with 9 ML and a STD 260. Its pretty fast, so you can get in range very easy.

I bought a 4SP and i am going to try this: HBK-4SP

4 arm mounted large lasers should deliver pretty accurate damage. But i need some DHS to test it.

4LLAS are nice, I think you will struggle with your heat management. I have issues on my Phract, and it can take a bigger engine (more full 2.0 heatsinks) and more tonnage for additional heat sinks.

#59 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 03 April 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Well, you can go to 3t of ammo and a 260 straight off if you remove artemis (or use Artemis 4s) and swap to standard medium lasers.
If you just switch to ML instead of MPL you can go to a 250 with the same ASRM6s and 2t of ammo.

In both cases you run MUCH cooler since the in-engine heatsinks (first 10) are true 2.0, whereas the external ones are 1.4
With the same number of heatsinks your cooling goes from 24.4 to 25.6. That and the ML runs cooler than the MPL.

I tried option B, switching to MLAS and a STD 250. I think it's gonna be great, once I get used to moving so fast...it was throwing my aim off! :) One thought was to cruise at 64kph, pretending to be a standard hunch, and then accelerate to throw people off. Might work, might not...

#60 Sahoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Keep it simple stupid. Experimenting:
4MLAS (one in hunch, one in right arm, one in head, one in left arm), 1 AC20(3tAmmo) HBK-4H. 82kph with Speed Tweak.

Edited by Sahoj, 04 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users