S = 6 sl; ppc

#22 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

The problem with the Trebuchet is, it may be faster and more mobile with Jumpjets... but with it being 5 tons lighter it cant carry as much firepower with as much armor.

4SP LRM Support

The reason why I chose the 4SP over the 4J (apart from the fact that I already had the 4Sp with a different build) is becuase the Missile hardpoints are spread better being one on each side. My old build had a standard engine, so it had a higher survival rate with one side blown off it still had 50% of its Firepower (not so much of an advantage with an XL engine though :D )

#23 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 21 February 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

The problem with the Trebuchet is, it may be faster and more mobile with Jumpjets... but with it being 5 tons lighter it cant carry as much firepower with as much armor.

4SP LRM Support

The reason why I chose the 4SP over the 4J (apart from the fact that I already had the 4Sp with a different build) is becuase the Missile hardpoints are spread better being one on each side. My old build had a standard engine, so it had a higher survival rate with one side blown off it still had 50% of its Firepower (not so much of an advantage with an XL engine though :D )

LRM Trebuchets have max 1 Missile, 1 Laser in the torso, an XL engine is very useful. A Trebuchet without speed is a terrible waste of a mech, a HBK-4J is better at that point.

#24 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostKassatsu, on 20 February 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Built this like a day before the patch, wasn't really paying attention to how big the map would be or anything: HBK-4SP

I made almost identical modifications to my dual SRM6 4SP right after ECMs were dropped as a means to counter ECM builds. It was a fun build but I just don't have the mindset to stay back and throw LRMs. Also this was before the buff to TAG's range so I was always in medium laser range, which was nice.

#25 GBFrostbite

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

For those of you running Hunchies with LRMs and medium lasers how do you usually plan out your battle?

I find myself having a hard time with 'mechs that have weapons loadouts that operate at drastically different ranges like some of the ones listed here. What is your mindset for these matches to keep you focused on using your firepower effectively rather than losing yourself in a brawl when your LRMs would be more useful to the team?

#26 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostOni Ralas, on 20 February 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Don't knock the dual LRM20 J variant until you've tried it! ( hey...it killmail whores with the best of 'em)

Oni, are you an EVE player?

#27 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostGBFrostbite, on 21 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

For those of you running Hunchies with LRMs and medium lasers how do you usually plan out your battle?

I find myself having a hard time with 'mechs that have weapons loadouts that operate at drastically different ranges like some of the ones listed here. What is your mindset for these matches to keep you focused on using your firepower effectively rather than losing yourself in a brawl when your LRMs would be more useful to the team?

I can tell you how I handle, poorly usually. lol.

I dont transition well with Long Range/Short Range or Long Range/Medium Range. I mostly build for Medium Range/Short Range, and inevitably close to short range if possible.

I was super excited for the big maps and Alpine. I like it, but find Im pretty terrible there so far. I either stand too long, or dont find a good spot, or am simply slower aiming than other players.

I always play with only two weapon groups, sometimes they have different ranges, but mostly its a matter of matching weapon types, balistics, energy or missle.

#28 GBFrostbite

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

I think I'm going to just have to jump in and see how I do with a 4SP with LRM 10s... Could be fun, I just don't have any experience with LRMs so this could be a fun / frustrating time for me.

#29 MntRunner

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I've switched my SP from

2SRM6
4 ML

to

2SRM6
2 LL

The large lasers are useful on Alpine with the longer range needed.

In my G I switched out the UAC5 for an AC20 since the AC20 was buffed and became more durable.

#30 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

Actually LRMs do operate at a long rang, yes, but there minimum distance is still short enough for medium lasers to be effective. You can use the LRMs and TAG to soften targets up then close in and use your medium lasers along with your LRMS as long as you don't dry hump the enemy mech with your own. It's a different mindset than running SRMs, to be sure though.

I also tried large lasers and LRMs a few times and found that with large lasers I prefer SRMs or SSRMs for close range support rather than LRMs to supplement my longer range damage abilities. That's just based on person preference, though, an little, if any science or math went into deciding that.

#31 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Well, figured out on my own how to make a decent HBK-4H, the LBX works better than Gauss or AC/10. Can't get better speed without dropping the Ballistic or dropping Heat Sinks and Endo for this, can't get a faster Standard engine with enough HS.

#32 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostMerchant, on 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Well, figured out on my own how to make a decent HBK-4H, the LBX works better than Gauss or AC/10. Can't get better speed without dropping the Ballistic or dropping Heat Sinks and Endo for this, can't get a faster Standard engine with enough HS.

Drop CASE from the LBX side, there isn't any ammo to blow up anyways.

#33 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

That's not a terrible brawler, actually.

You could try replacing all of the torso and head mounted lasers with small lasers. The reduced weight and heat should allow you to squeez bigger engine in there. You'll lose some ranged capability, yes, but you probably want to avoid firing your LBX at that range anyhow and you'd have more than enough small lasers to keep up a steady stream of laser fire when you're in close.

Here is a possible idea for improvment.
Small Laser Ver

Edited by Raso, 23 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#34 Grifthin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I've been a Hunchie pilot for months now, nothing really changed on my side as most of mine are already built for balance.

I still love my HBK-4J - 2x LRM 10 and 7x Medium lasers. Fling missiles, move up shoot them in the face.

I have my All laser varient kitted with 2x Large lasers and 7x small lasers again for moving up at range while shooting even MOAR when they get in range.

And then the 4SP - 7x Medium lasers + 2x 6SRM - My only really mid range brawler.

Maby I'll pick up the Trebuchet soon and try that out. But yeah - I love my hunchie.

Basically operating in 2 different roles and switching between the 2 as they become available. Enemy at range with some decent spotters/line of fire - Fling missiles. Enemy moving up to harass my assaults (whom I usually follow) - Switch to fire support. Basically just try and see where you can help and do it.

Edited by Grifthin, 23 February 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#35 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostStingz, on 23 February 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Drop CASE from the LBX side, there isn't any ammo to blow up anyways.

Only have that CASE because I did not know what to do with half a ton, got everything else I needed and would not waste it on an engine upgrade due to C-Bill cost. If I am paying for an engine upgrade, it better be more than 1 step.

View PostRaso, on 23 February 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

That's not a terrible brawler, actually.

You could try replacing all of the torso and head mounted lasers with small lasers. The reduced weight and heat should allow you to squeez bigger engine in there. You'll lose some ranged capability, yes, but you probably want to avoid firing your LBX at that range anyhow and you'd have more than enough small lasers to keep up a steady stream of laser fire when you're in close.

Here is a possible idea for improvment.
Small Laser Ver

Yep and the weapons are decent against Light Mechs. I will think about the SLs, right now I am saving to modify my Trebuchet into its planned build, need money for an engine.

#36 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

good thread has good stuff about good mech

revisiting the hunchback line, tried the 4sp like every body told me to and was unimpressed.
Tried the J, m'eh, ok, but the P...what an oddity. Doesn't seem that fancy, but the cheese build of DHS, and 8 lasers and stuffed with heatsinks is twice the fun I thought.
like everyone, left mouse arm lasers, right mouse the remaining hunch lasers, and mouse 3 chainfire for the ultimate kill stealing build in the game!!! Keep the target painted with non stop lasers and when they go down, half the time I get the kill award!
this weekend should finish off all the tweaks.

edit: question on armor and distribution. I've been reading that most shuffle their armor to the front 80/20 type split. what are you successful hunchie jocks running? I'm losing my hump alot..

Edited by ThatDawg, 29 March 2013 - 03:00 AM.

#37 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

View PostThatDawg, on 29 March 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

edit: question on armor and distribution. I've been reading that most shuffle their armor to the front 80/20 type split. what are you successful hunchie jocks running? I'm losing my hump alot..

about 38/10 on the right torso, since the rear section of it is so small.

The Hunchback closely resembles the Centurion, both have weapons concentrated on one side. Learn to twist and protect your weapons, using the left side as a shield.

Edited by Stingz, 29 March 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#38 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'm a huge player of the Hunchback and I always have been. I tend to break down some of the different variants like this:

HBK-4G: This chassis in the configurations I tend to favor is a supplementary fires 'Mech for whatever range configuration i'm using at the time. If i'm going to be with a heavier team that intends to get in close I carry dual LBX-10s and 3 Small Lasers to really provide OOMPH where it can do the most good. The torso mobility of the Hunchback makes it great for digging all 20 LBX pellets in to weakened hit zones on enemy 'Mechs, even lights or fast mediums at close range. For longer ranges I like to carry 3 X AC/5s and a TAG in the head slot, allowing for great DPS and allowing you to use the TAG both to support your team, and help track and lead your targets by using the laser to check hit scan.

HBK-4H: This is (in my opinion) the most flexible of the Hunchback variants. The co-location of the ballistic and two energy hardpoints in the right torso allows you to put [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] in those spots and enjoy the shared point of aim when providing direct fire support at range, and the extra energy hardpoints can provide a longer combat duration and greater DPS than the Ballistic-Heavy 4G for the weight, while allowing you to take some of the heat off by using a greater heat efficiency ballistic weapon to supplement your energy payload.

HBK-4SP: This Hunchback makes an excellent attack 'Mech, and really begs to be fitted with a Standard 250 or other similar engine to carry you up into dueling range. SRMs provide excellent damage per ton for their heat, and the availability of FOUR energy hardpoints on the arms makes carrying enough payload with the Hunchback's limited weight fairly easy, and using it even easier! I have also seen a few players load up their 4SPs with LRM/5s and Large Lasers for use as fire support, though I personally haven't tried it.

HBK-4P: Loved by some, and hated by others, the "Nukeback" can carry incredible firepower in its 9 energy hardpoints. 4 Medium lasers set on cycle fire can provide an indefinite stream of pain, or fire together to deal as much damage as an AC/20! Equip your 4P with 6 Medium Lasers, Two Small Lasers, and a TAG and enjoy the massive damage output plus the ability to support your team. Make sure to pack doubles and a big engine for this one, it was MADE TO BURN!

HBK-4J: The ability to fire several racks of LRMs at once makes the 4J very attractive for those who want to be a fairly unassuming target on the battlefield, but still get out lots of ranged support fire for their team. Carrying three Medium Lasers in your right torso also makes it easy to fire on a target that is in range while you lock, acquire, and fire your missile payload. The issue this build suffers from is the inevitable heat buildup it will suffer when carrying LRMs, as they are much heavier than the lasers or SRMs of the 4P and 4SP, and much hotter than the ballistics of the 4G and 4H, requiring a lot of care for proper use. The 4J does offer the ability to fire two SRM/6+Artemis at the same point of aim, with a denser and tighter spread than the 4SP, but the lack of multiple energy hardpoints on the arms causes it to fall behind a bit as an infighter. You see these only rarely on the battlefield, but they can make good additions to a capable fire support team if handled properly.

My $0.02 on the Hunchbacks and building them. I haven't changed my builds very dramatically in a REALLY long time, but I tend to make little tweaks and optimizations here and there to fit the state of the game and stay competitive. You tend to see a lot of people sporting heavies with greater speed, firepower, AND armor, but the control and handling of the Hunchback still makes it a force to be reckoned with. In the end how much damage you are able to do matters less than where you are able to put it, and with the Hunchback you have all kinds of options for delivering pain and discontent downrange to your opponents.

#39 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

I run HBKs in brawler configs. Granted there is quite a bit of open space on Alpine, and if you merrily truck along through the big wide valley you're guaranteed to get mauled before you get into range; that said there is quite a bit of cover on that map as well. If you go along the sides of the valley there are plenty enough ridge lines to get into grips with the OpFor without exposing yourself to LRMs and ballistics first.

I'll admit It's a bit of a head desk moment in a PUG when your team decides to march across that valley into the teeth of an enemy lance in defilade though.

#40 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I made a few tweaks to your second load out and got this:

HBK-4H

LRMs are currently pretty weak so I dropped AMS and installed Endo. That allowed me to double up your LBX ammo and boost your heat efficiency. The folks in the **** my ride thread could probably do even better, but those would be my suggestions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users