Treb?

19 replies to this topic

#1 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

I am on the fence about investing in a treb? Is it worth it? or is it a trashuchet?

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#2 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

On paper they're not appealing at least to me. The three 2xLRM15 variants, one of which has JJ, basically does the same thing as Catapult A1. The other JJ variant simply sucks, and the ballistic one can easily be substituted by any HBK or CN.

http://mwomercs.com/...-tbt-3c-builds/

The only advantage of TBC is that the enemies would also have a medium dropped instead of heavy, which could be fixed by playing like a boss.

#3 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I drove a 7M with 2 LL, 1MPL and some SRM launchers in a pre-made to great effect. Then refitted to a double PPC fit but as by then I was a lone wolf, I couldn't get into any matches,... So I don't know (yet) what kind of jumpsniper the mech would be.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

I like them. Huge engine capacities, interesting hardpoints, lots of launcher tubes, jump jets - a lot of things I enjoy. I think they'll be a very flexible mech. If you like the way other mediums play and want something similar but different, go for it. But don't expect it to be a brand new world or anything.

#5 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a mech that can run at around 107-115kph and carry ~50pts of firepower, the treb could be the perfect fit for you. With equal firepower, it still feels a little less "punchy" (at least for the 7M/5J) than the CN9-AL or HBK-4SP - but not by a whole lot (due to where the hardpoints are and where your missiles converge). If anything, I'd like it to running a fast DRG. It plays very similar to that - only with jump jets on 2 of the models.

Only real negatives I have so far are that all of the variants are woefully under-armored at stock. You need to put a couple extra tons into that for sure. The jump jet variants also seem to get hung up on terrain more frequently/easily than other jumpers -- but once you figure that out, it's pretty easy to compensate for...

#6 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

I'm very much liking the 2 I've played so far.

After some experimentation, I'm liking ERPPC/2xML/3xSSRM/AMS for the 7M. I found several other builds I enjoyed as well, including a pop-tart with 3 ERPPC.

For the 3C I ran it out totally stock, save swapping in a TAG for 1 ML and it's a solid mech for the medium class. I'm currently trying it in rapid striker build with 3xML/2xASRM6 and a 350XL. It's quite the beast and fast enough (113.4kph w/o speed tweak) to get away with an XL and get away with short-ranged weapons on Alpine.

I will say that the handling feels a little clunky, but I'm enjoying it. It's the first time playing a medium mech that it felt like being between light and heavy instead of just being a smaller heavy. Now I just gotta figure out what my 3rd variant will be. I want a 7K, but I'm not quite sure how I want to run it.

#7 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 20 February 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

I will say that the handling feels a little clunky, but I'm enjoying it. It's the first time playing a medium mech that it felt like being between light and heavy instead of just being a smaller heavy. Now I just gotta figure out what my 3rd variant will be. I want a 7K, but I'm not quite sure how I want to run it.

Agree with that. Running 80+ kph in my Treb feels as if I'm doing 48 kph in my Stalker,...

#8 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Can you run an effective build at decent speed without an xl engine? It seems that like the centurion, you can build some very impressive alpha strikes, but at the danger of being very squishy. A lot of matches I have played has mostly been long range camping and sniping, so if i where to build one it would be a long range with streaks probably. But like someone else said, i can do that on a dragon with more armor.

In addition, do you save more money by buying a mech with an xl engine, or buying the engine separate AKA is the engine price in a mech cheaper than buying by itself.

#9 Cairbre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 163 posts
  • LocationHoly Terra

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

I've found that the 80 kilometer speed has been quite adequate for my needs so far- I'm running the standard jump variant, the TBT-5J as a pseudo Vindicator, or Synthicator. So I switched to Endosteel, tossed a PPC into an arm and scaled back the missile bank slightly. I run it as a second line fire support mech- staying close to heavies and assaults so I'm not targeted, and tossing out damage every which way. I'm not good, but it is a lot of fun, and feels much more responsive than a Centurion or Hunchback. The JJ are more than worth the lost armor. With good timing, you can jump most anything's second salvo.

As far as the Dragon can do it better- well, yes. This is an opportunity cost issue- are you good enough to reliably take down a heavy, or do you need to only face a medium? Choosing a Trebuchet means they can't bring any more than 50 tons of mech to oppose you. If you bring your dragon, there could be a Cat or a Muromets over there, as opposed to the Centurion or Hunchback you would otherwise have had to deal with. As an unskilled player, I feel like I'm helping my team out more by sticking to the medium weight class until I become reliably nasty enough to move up.

As a fellow Capellan though- the chance to pilot something like a Vindicator is pretty awesome.
Eventually, it will look something like this- right now I have a lower quality knockoff.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ba541a58428fb9

Edited by Cairbre, 20 February 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#10 XXRAZERBACKXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 347 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA , USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

had fun with mine I bought a 7m
kept the xl250
kept all 5 jj

took the lrm 15's off and replaced them lrm5's
took narc out and replaced it and lrm 5

2 med lasers R arm 1 ER-L in L arm

so speed was 82 which im happy with in a medium and I could fly around map with
the real interesting thing is the single tube for the narc that i replaced with an lrm it makes my fire constant and interesting
10-11111-10-11111-10 kinda like that it was fun
wasnt boasting many kills but it was fun to play with got lots of damage and stayed alive

#11 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Also got a 7M went with a xl 320, 3 ssrm and 2 LL with 4 JJ. Fun guy, will keep!

#12 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

As far as Mediums go, they're not bad.

On my 5J, I get 105 km/h speed without Speed Tweak and JJs, so I'm quite satisfied with the mobility.

I got plenty of DHS so I can either spam my 4xMLs at close range, or spam my ERLL at long range.

Medium's a Medium, it's inherently limited in what it can do... but for 50 tons, this really isn't too bad.

#13 SC1P1O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

thank you for the feedback, you all had some good points, I appreciate it, I think i'm going to hold off more, save up some money, im just not sure i want to make that 8 million c bill plunge. With matches taking on average twice as long, having a c bill stock is going to be important.

#14 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

You cant expect the TBT to perform like the other 50 ton mechs. Firstly, it has a higher max engine rating. Secondly, models with JJs will perform like 45ton mechs, not like the other fifties. It's different, so don't expect it to be the same or you will be disappointed.

#15 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 20 February 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

You cant expect the TBT to perform like the other 50 ton mechs. Firstly, it has a higher max engine rating. Secondly, models with JJs will perform like 45ton mechs, not like the other fifties. It's different, so don't expect it to be the same or you will be disappointed.

Jumpjets for 50ton mechs only weigh .5tons each.
Only for 60tons+ do they start to weigh more.

#16 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I picked up a 5N and found it under-armored, somewhat. Now, I'm sort of an oddball soooooo...

I down-engined to a 200 series since 64 kmh was sufficient. Endo-steeled the structure. ER PPC right arm; 2 SRM6s, MedPL. AMS, Beagle. DoubleHS. Cased the ammo areas. And dumped all remaining weight into armor...armor....and more armor. ;)

Could probably build a similar on a cheaper chassis but, it's what I had so started messing around. And yeah...I'm an oddball. :o

Edited by Strykewolf, 20 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#17 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Trenchbuckets suffer very little from having XL engines(except the -7K) , If you want STD engines then start looking at Cent-AL/Hunch-4J.

LRMs at high speeds is what the Treb is good for, and it barely packs any torso weapons (except the -7K).

#18 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I lost a side torso tonight, at the same time I lost my CT. Suffice to say having an XL has not yet hastened my death noticeably on my trebuchets.

#19 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

I've been playing around with the 7M quite a bit.

3 different builds, all with 320XL engine

a) 3 MLaser, 1 LRM15, 2 SRM4

:) 2 ER LLaser, 3 SRM4 (could be wrong about the ER's)

c) 2 ERPPC, 3 SSRM2

the next build I'm going to try is:
LLaser, 2 MLaser, 2 SRM6, SRM4, more armor, 4 jets, 300XL, 1 extra DHS
undefined

I've really enjoyed the 2 ERPPC variant the best so far, and been collecting decent damage. Only two matches, but both over 300 damage. This allows me to disrupt the ECM provider and then wack away at whomever I can with the SSRM's. But I find that I need more heat dissipation to keep laying down the hurt without shutting down.

It has the speed to snipe for the first little bit, and get out of the way when the missiles start flying. Then once the brawls under way, I can move in and help mop up with the streaks while still focusing on ECM'ers with the PPC's to keep radar at bay. Doesn't work too bad at all.

the erlarge laser build is my next fav. Still has heat issues, but the sustained fire from the SRMs at close range (I chain fire them) keep enemies from harrasing me too much.

I love throwing SRM's into NARC slots as then I get a nice accurate rocket launcher, vs a spread shotgun style of rockets. I don't know why, but I feel I'm keeping up better concentrated DPS with that feature.

I've played only 6 matches (each build twice) and have been really enjoying the mobility gained by the 320XL and the jump jets. Such a fun mech to play, while not offering anything new, it's a really balanced mech. Great speed, enough room for good weapons, not a lot of armor... but you don't need it if you keep moving.

#20 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

I bought the 7M and as someone who doesn't really play missile boats I've been kinda struggling to find a good fit for the 'mech to my playstyle.

I've finally settled on a build with:
1 ER Large Laser (missile arm)
2 Medium Lasers (as stock, the other arm)
1 LRM-15 Artemis (torso mounted)
1 LRM-10 Artemis (arm mounted)

with 3 tons LRM ammo, the stock XL engine, and 1.5 tons extra armor spread across the whole thing. I removed 1 jj from the Center torso and both CASE to free weight, as well as the NARC launcher. I don't miss the NARC, but I can't jump terribly high. JJ's seem mostly useful for turning suddenly.

It has jump jets, it has missiles, it's not quite as paper thin as stock, and it can poke with the ER large at targets too far to launch LRM's at without expecting the target to find cover. I've been getting better performance numbers out of it since settling on this build, and generally only run out of missiles on a good, high damage match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users