Trebuchet: A Quick Review

40 replies to this topic

#21 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I run a 7m with 320xl, 3x mlas, 2x srm6, 1xsrm2, jumpjets, and endo steel. With speed tweak this thing goes 113.1, and performs, as described by many 'an sp with jumpjets'. I've found this mech to be a superb brawler, capable of firing a salvo, jumpjet to 180 over an enemies head, putting a shot into their back, and then running around the opposite direction their turning to repeat the maneuver. The shield like arms on this mech behave like the arms on the awesome in that they can keep a lot of damage off your sides if you keep spinning appropriately, and since most of the weapons are in the arms you can shoot down effectively if you utilize your jumpjets often. I've been averaging 5-700 damage games with this setup running in both premades and solo drops. having a 90 kph hunch or centurion running a standard engine running as your wingman is great in this mech since they have the mobility to keep up, and can go toe to toe with bigger mechs allowing the treb to position his damage to maximum effect.

#22 Dadrick

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm using the 7m with a bap and a tag laser instead of a narc, the rest is stock loadout. (I also removed the case and added some ammo.) Playing this mech on Alpine is like playing on god mode. Very fun indeed. ;)

#23 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostStringburka, on 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Good review, though I don't agree with your opinion on the 7K. With two missile hardpoints, a large ballistic fit, two energy fits and a great torso twist it seems like a good 'mech to use for light hunting - mount 2xSSRM2, 2xML and an LB10-X (or AC-10 if you're a good shot) and the max engine for it. Should dish out some serious damage, similar to this centurion, but trading an SSRM for like 30-40 kph.

While that load out does not sound bad, the problem with it as a light hunter is that the light it will usually be hunting is a Raven 3L that will have ECM so streaks won't work. That build does not sound at all bad for a skirmisher though.

#24 tatersaladftw

• PipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I roll a 7k with dual SERM 2s, a PPC, medium pulse laser, and two machine guns. Max out the armor.

Use the PPC for the dirt work and the other weapons for close range hit and runs.

ECM? Guess what; the PPC knocks them out even within its 90m activation range.

#25 TheNoobLord

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

my 7K is ultra AC5. 2 ML and 2 streaks, works decently, but i think it needs a bigger engine

#26 AxeHammer

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postsaintchuck, on 20 February 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

My review:

Awesomer than an Awesome.

Ditto

I was late for work after playing into the wee hours of the morning as I wanted to keep playing the TBT.
Couldn't stop smilling as I sent clouds of LRMs at everything and anything within TAG Range

#27 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I love the trebuchet. I love having a fast JJ-capable medium, It's such a fun skirmishing mech. This is probably my favorite medium right now.

Edited by Llyranor, 20 February 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#28 AxeHammer

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostAxeHammer, on 20 February 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Ditto

I was late for work after playing into the wee hours of the morning as I wanted to keep playing the TBT.
Couldn't stop smilling as I sent clouds of LRMs at everything and anything within TAG Range

While I'm now very interested in the other variants (TBT-5J), I'm very happy with the 5N
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea1684381bc493b

3 x ML
LRM15 + LRM10
3 tons Ammo
TAG
AMS

#29 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostAxeHammer, on 20 February 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

While I'm now very interested in the other variants (TBT-5J), I'm very happy with the 5N
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea1684381bc493b

3 x ML
LRM15 + LRM10
3 tons Ammo
TAG
AMS

Should probably swap for an XL engine when possible, the only weapon in the torso is the LRM-15 anyways.

#30 Jreyy Randor

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Faced off with one against my Jenner, wasn't a great experince, Jump jets and wide firing arc :)

#31 AxeHammer

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationShanghai

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostStingz, on 20 February 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Should probably swap for an XL engine when possible, the only weapon in the torso is the LRM-15 anyways.

Meh, maybe.
I want to get the other 2 x Tbt variants leveled up before embarking on XL engines.
For the 5N, I just want this thing to max out in armor and ammo and let the LRms fly

#32 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

I bought a 5j, with this loadout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e2ef025ed4f8225 , and it's a really good mech, allowing you to rain lrm on enemy from far away, and easily close to them once you run out of ammo, skirmishing with the 4 ml. Definitely a good choice.

Maybe the next one will be a 7k, with a build similar to this one http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a00a3a9116cb732

Edited by o0cipher0o, 21 February 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#33 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

View Post1453 R, on 20 February 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Been using my shiny new 7M most of the day, focusing on actually keeping LRMs in the LRM tubes. Funnily enough, it actually makes a really great pocket LRM machine. You don't have the enormous salvos or endless missile reserves of the Catapult or Stalker, but my particular 7M hits 97kph at the top of its throttle, and those jump jets... It does have ammunition issues in longer fights, but I'm also fast enough to be a credible cap threat, and to get my tubes into play where they're needed.

Heh...much as I figured looking at the stats, the thing is a nasty mid-rangeish striker when it works out. You tend to work closer to the minimum range than the maximum for those LRMs half the time, but that often means nothing more than that the enemy has a lot less time to dodge.

Whats your loadout?

#34 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

So I bought the 7M and Ive been tweaking it ever since. I'm trying to turn it into a super fast LRM boat. I had it going at 79KPH but I figured that would be a little too slow if I'm rocking an XL engine so I switched out both LRM15s for LRM10s, put on a Streak Launcher to ward away pesky lights, TAG, two Medium Lasers, four tons of LRM ammo, one ton of SSRM ammo, five Jump Jets, Artemis, and an XL280 to clock at around 91 KPH no speed tweak. I'm really excited to try this build out since I do not have an LRM support mech yet. Tell me what you guys think.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3dbaee5a8bae1b

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 21 February 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#35 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

With the 7K I'm planing on something like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f974954a33edff1

I chose the LBX because: A) Its a freaking shotgun and that's awesome and :lol: it's lighter and takes up fewer tons which allows me to equip the FF armor and the XL325 engine. I chose to forgo tag in favor of a 2nd medium laser because of the plentiful cooling which the build possesses.

I might also try a single SRM4 or dual SRM2s in place of the SSRMs (though I draw the line at SRM6s, at that speed it should hard enough to land the 2nd SRM salvo, let alone a 3rd).

Hmmmm then again maybe at that price maybe I should just get an other Atlas...

#36 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostRaso, on 21 February 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

With the 7K I'm planing on something like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f974954a33edff1

I chose the LBX because: A) Its a freaking shotgun and that's awesome and :wub: it's lighter and takes up fewer tons which allows me to equip the FF armor and the XL325 engine. I chose to forgo tag in favor of a 2nd medium laser because of the plentiful cooling which the build possesses.

I might also try a single SRM4 or dual SRM2s in place of the SSRMs (though I draw the line at SRM6s, at that speed it should hard enough to land the 2nd SRM salvo, let alone a 3rd).

Hmmmm then again maybe at that price maybe I should just get an other Atlas...

That build looks really ineffective, especially since Alpine is too big to rush on. Everything you pack is spreading damage(except the lasers).

#37 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Quick question:

Does the 5J turn more sharply than the 7M?

Accellerations in turns are an important factor in brawling and I've noticed some pretty sharp turning 5j pilots in spectate mode...

#38 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

No it doesn't. It may simply be that the 5J pilot had elite unlocked while the others didn't.

#39 Fiest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d72e878aee7b7ce

Works well. Arms block most shots at the torso if you can maintain side on stances. (arm locks are useful)

Does the 5J turn more sharply than the 7M?

Accellerations in turns are an important factor in brawling and I've noticed some pretty sharp turning 5j pilots in spectate mode...

Turning while jump jetting is insane fast. Use them in taps and you can corner better than an upgraded commando (which is kinda ironic cos you're the same shape)

Edited by Fiest, 20 May 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#40 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users