#1 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Episode 1 - Prologue / The Kharkandan Civil War

You are soldiers, mercenaries and MechWarriors, hired by the Triumvirate of Kharkand to safeguard it from any and all threats.
The Triumvir of Kharkand consisted of the brothers Maerec, Leofric and Cedric, for fifteen years Kharkand knew peace and prosperity. Then the oldest brother and lead Triumvir Archduke Maerec died, and the next brother, Leofric, ascended to the title of Archduke.

The intervening seven months have been a waking nightmare for the people of Kharkand as the Tyranny of Archduke Leofric the Cruel has been revealed.
The final straw was the Jarrund Massacre, where the Triumvir Guard opened fire on a protesting crowd, the final death toll is three thousand.

The people have taken up arms against Leofric the Cruel and his reign of terror, within days Duke Osric - Maerec’s son, threw his support in with the newly founded Kharkandan Independence Movement, announcing that Leofric arranged for Maerec to be assassinated.

Now comes the choice all mercenaries hired by the Triumvirate must face, stay and support Archduke Leofric? Or join the rebellious Duke Osric?
The contract did say any and all threats... but who is the true threat?

-

This is going to be a player driven RP, I am going to let YOU, the player vote for which faction in the civil war you want to support.
Whatever faction receives the most votes will be the one you all will fight for. (Since dealing with PVP is a big hairy deal and can get massively out of hand)

The rules are as follows:
No Assault or Heavy Mechs/Vehicles (You are mercs in the Periphery, not particularly well off)
No Clan Characters. (Year is 3055)
No Clan Mechs/Vehicles. (Maybe next time, once your characters aren’t poor mechwarriors)
No Weapons/Vehicles/Mechs from after 3055... obviously.
You must have fun.

Information:
Kharkand - Kharkand is a temperate world, quite similar to Terra in many regards. It supports a population of three and a half million, much of which is concentrated around the fledgling industrial complexes and supporting cities.

Triumvir of Kharkand
Duke Osric Godwin (Son of Maerec)
Archduke Leofric the Cruel Godwin (Known as The Tyrant of Kharkand, Leofric has been a recluse since the brothers conquered Kharkand)
Duke Cedric Godwin (Lord General of the Triumvir Guard, Cedric is a staunch supporter of Leofric)

Please, feel free to ask about anything, including more details about the planet, government or whatever.

Player List (Note, I will pick the players who put the most work and energy into their characters)
Janitor101 - Antonio Vega*: Light, Wolfhound WLF-HVK (Custom WLF-1)
cmopatrick - Sean Flynn*: Light, Mongoose MON-67
dal10 - Andrei Averin*: Assault, Charger CGR-1A1
Sparks Murphy - Nathan Chippilo*: Medium, Dervish DV-6M
Spokes - Li-Hua Taishu*: Medium, Scorpion SCP-1N
Thom Frankfurt - William 'Billy' Ribbions*: Medium, Wolverine WVR-BB
guardian wolf - William Wolford*: Medium, Shadow Hawk SHD-2K
Alan Wagner - Alan Wagner*: Medium, Centurion CN9-A2
The Shepherd - James Campbell*: Light, Raven RVN-3L

--

Name: Antonio Vega
Callsign: Havok
Role: Close Quarters Combat
Date of Birth: April 15th, 3023
Planet of Birth: Solaris VII
-Appearance-
Picture: Photo
Height: 6‘ 1“
Weight: 217 lbs
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Hair Style: Short
Eye Color: Brown
Background:
Antonio was born on Solaris VII to a poor family that owned a mech junkyard, or graveyard as he called it, they were poor because more often than not, mechs, or their parts and fragments would come in, and very little ever went out. By his late teens, Antonio was working full time as a Industrial Mech pilot, hauling scrap for his parents.
However the Vega family fortune changed when a Mercenary Corp made a pit stop on Solaris VII and offloaded the mech carcasses they'd salvaged from a recent mission. While cataloging what had been brought in, Antonio discovered that the largest chunk of a Cyclops possessed a lightly damaged but working B-2000 battle computer.

The computer was put up for auction, and the Vega family made a small fortune from the sale, the computer also brought attention to the small junkyard, increasing the number of mechanics and mechwarriors who came to find replacement parts for cheap.
The influx of money meant that Antonio was able to get some semblance of an education, and an apprenticeship with a mech mechanic.

Three months after the merc corp had last arrived, they stopped by Solaris again, this time, they demanded the additional money they would have been owed for the battle computer. Heated argument quickly turned to the exchange of gunfire, Antonio’s father was killed instantly, while his mother suffered permanent and severe brain damage, destroying much of her memory and ability to function as a normal person. Antonio was injured by a ricochet, but was able to escape serious harm.

Later that night, after stealing munitions and explosives from the mechanic he was apprenticed to, he wired close to a ton of high explosives to the door system and engines of the mercenary's Union class dropship. But not before stealing two of their Mechs.
Upon awakening from their slumber, the mercs realized they'd been robbed, and immediately began to unload their hardware to hunt Antonio down. The dropship exploded in a massive fireball, killing all the mercenaries in a heartbeat.

Antonio salvaged what little he could from his parent's safe, sold the more expensive Centurion he's stolen, and escaped offworld with the lighter Wolfhound.
He bounced from periphery system to system for several years, hiring himself out as a mercenary for lack of better income.
Eventually he landed a contract with the Godwin brothers to invade and capture a small backwater planet called Kharkand. He's been with them since.
-Mech-
Mech Class: Light
Mech Model: Wolfhound WLF-HVK (Customized WLF-1)
Weapon Loadout:
x3 Medium Lasers
x1 AC/2
x2 Tons of AC/2 Ammo
x10 HS (Including engine heat sinks)
Standard 210 Engine (Default)

Character Sheet:

Faction Vote: (Leofric Loyalist or Osric Rebel)
-
Name:
Callsign: (This could also be a nickname, I will organize lances before the start)
Role:
Planet of Birth:
-Appearance-
Picture: (If applicable)
Height:
Weight:
Hair Color:
Hair Style:
Eye Color:
Background:
(Use ONE of the below templates, use vehicle for combat vehicle/fighter, and mech is obvious)
-Mech-
Mech Class: (Chassis Weight Classification)
Mech Model: (List mech name and original model designation and or new model designation)
Mech Loadout: (Be sure to add up the tonnage and make sure you’re not overweight, include engine and note if it is larger, smaller or the same as is normal of the model)
-Vehicle-
Vehicle Class: (Chassis Weight Classification)
Vehicle Model: (List vehicle name and original model designation)
Vehicle Loadout: (Be sure to add up the tonnage and make sure you’re not overweight, include engine and note if it is larger, smaller or the same as is normal of the model)

#2 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Character Sheet:

Faction Vote: (Osric Rebel)
-
Name: Sean Flynn (though everyone calls him “TOG” and few care to know his whole name since that would require listening to some rambling story or another).
Callsign: TOG (The Old Guy)
Role: Deep Scout/PITA (er, PITA is “Pain in the A**”)
Date of Birth: 2998 (it was a very good year... well... maybe not, but TOG is sure it was and will tell anyone fool enough to ask that it was, even if he has to... er... adjust reality to make it so)
Planet of Birth: Canopus IV
-Appearance-
Picture: TOG
Height: 5'8” (about 1.75m); ok, maybe he has to have his boots on to make that now, but that is what the MRB had on file and he'll never admit to any loss.
Weight: 185ish (about 84kg); a few too many trips to the ice-cream vendors on hot days show a bit at the waist (one might wonder how his otherwise well worn cooling gear can manage to keep working with the obvious stretch), but TOG will just glare at anyone who mentions his weight and mumble something about youth and disrespect while heading off to somewhere quieter.
Hair Color: Bald (Ok, shaved off, but you won't see hair there to know what color it might have been back when he had much of it left).
Hair Style: Shaved off on top (though there was probably not much to shave), ratty looking salt and pepper beard and mustache that looks like it was last trimmed with nail clippers or his teeth.
Eye Color: Muddy Blue-Green

Background:
Mech Class: Light (25t)
Mech Model: MON-67 Mongoose, a rather beaten up survivor from a LONG time ago (and any tech that has worked on it will use the word “ancient” often), TOG picked it up at an auction on Solaris VII back in the day (don't ask, he will be too glad to tell you and might either “improve” on the truth or leave out a salient fact or two in the telling... memory problems, you understand...). Because of long history with it and less than enough funds to have had a regular crew chief, he is at least an acceptable mechanic; he is especially good at replacing the cooling jacket on the CT laser, something the design needs all too often. Of course, the lack of training or correct parts has sometimes led to creative substitutions and maybe more duct tape than was original equipment, but he will just nod when that is pointed out and mumble something about “I mean to get around to fixing that right one of these days.”
'Mech Loadout: ML (LA), ML (CT), ML (RA), 1 SL (head, currently inop), 10shs (including engine), 200 engine (86+ kph walk, can reach nearly 130kph at a run).

TOG is rather quiet. Well, most of the time. Just don't ask him about anything he has an opinion on. Leave well enough alone and he'll bite his tongue. Ok, he may express himself more often while alone in his cockpit, but not most other places. It might be well observed that he gets along with techs and animals better than most of the folks he fights with; he's that kinda moody guy, but he gets very serious about his business in a 'Mech. On the other hand, he is rather cynical about good guys and bad guys when it comes to work, he has seen both and seen those who were supposed to be one and turned out to be the opposite. As long as he isn't ordered to slaughter civilians, a c-bill is a c-bill (though he expects to be paid a LOT more than one to walk his 'Goose).

He seems to have been in a lot of actions over the years, but never achieved notoriety. Of course, he is still alive; something of a feat, all things considered. He will sometimes reminisce about his visits to Solaris VII; but if one listens closely, they will discover that he never did better than third in any official arena, and nearly went broke the first time there. Asked about much of his early history he will mumble something about Liao, not mentioning that he fought against (and eventually saw most of his unit destroyed by) Capellans back in the teens (3013-3019). His MRB record has several units listed, many of which are now extinct.

Not the greatest shot, TOG does however, have the knack of evading fire from others. As a deep scout, he can usually discover more about an enemy without getting killed than anyone without that newfangled ECM has a right to. As a PITA, he REALLY lives up to the role's name, though muting him on comms might serve those who like to concentrate (especially when he has that cra... er... music of his cranked up and he is yelling over it). He can run wing, but needs the occasional “get back there and cover my a**” reminder.

(edit: added link)(second edit: adjusted to the downgraded and hence more compatible with the story version of mongoose)(third edit to provide the link i thought i had added for the Mon-67).

Edited by cmopatrick, 04 March 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#3 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Initial Note: Everything is up to change at the GM's discretion, i have marked things that i think are more likely to be changed where they occur.

Well I could not narrow down the mech choice i wanted to one, so i have 4 mechs (not at once, it was as far as i could narrow it down to). My primary criteria was that it would be a mech that would likely be found in the periphery (aka Level 1 Tech only so no ferro, endo, xl engines, double heatsinks, gauss rifles etc.). i have 4 possible mechs that i narrowed it down to. 2 of them are overweight, one by 5 tons, one by 25. however, both designs are ancient, and in no way overpowered (both designs have significant flaws in the chassis, which will be addressed when i actually list the designs, btw the assault mech is for the lulz). since i am having issues deciding i will leave it up to the GM if he decides to accept my application.

Note: i have all 4 mechs built in Solaris Skunkwerks if you want to see exactly how it is set up, or find a TRO as all of these are as best as i could stock. also i went slightly off format in the background.

Character Sheet:

Faction Vote: Leofric Loyalist (i can play either way, just being evil for once sounds fun)
-
Name: Andrei Averin

Callsign: Mist

Role: Heavy Scout

Date of Birth: 3027 (ending stages of the 4th succession war, which is why his parents moved out to the periphery, didn't trust the government afterwards, see bio) 28 years old.

Planet of Birth: Sarna - Grew up on Taurus, the capitol of the Taurian Concordat.

-Appearance-
looks european besides a darker complexion and lightly asian like eyes.

Height:5'11"

Weight: 175 (not a musclehead, but not fat either)

Hair Color: Black (from his chinese mother)

Hair Style:about an inch long on top and a quarter inch on the sides with the hair in the middle graded to transition smoothly.

Eye Color: Blue (from his russian father)

Background:

Born on Sarna to a Russian business man and his Chinese mistress (makes more sense to have my character be illegitimate vs a standard son, otherwise he likely would have just taken over his father's business) during the closing stages of the 4th Succession War, Andrei's early days were spent on dropship after dropship with his parents fleeing the oncoming Davion forces. His father Makarov was a high ranking executive in a capellan corporation based in the now extinct Liao commonality. However due to the war his wife was still trapped on Liao, which he had escaped due to being on Sarna for business.

Following the invasion of Sarna, Makarov Averin became disillusioned with the Capellan Confederation's ability to protect its citizens. he defected from the Confederation taking a large amount of funds and schematics from Ceres Metals to the Taurian Concordat. There he started his own business as a manufacturer for the Taurian military. He even took a wife, a member of the nobility (or whatever the taurian equivalent it, also note minor nobility, the kind that would marry their daughter to a foreign businessman). around this time, 3036, Andrei's mother died.

Makarov's new wife did not approve of his illegitimate child, so he was shipped off to a military school at the age of 16 (note this is 7 years after the death of Andre's mother, it took the taurian wife that long to convince makarov to send him away, 3043). this status quo existed for another four years until the Maskirova learned the location of Andre's father. With Makarov's death in 3047, his wife went from exiling Andrei to fully attempting to disinheriting him over her son Alexei (got to love russian names). She succeeded, however before he was fully shut off from his inheritance, Andrei managed to siphon a significant amount of funds from his trust fund and take a Charger from his father's factory. Using said funds he smuggled himself and the mech off of Taurus and escape into the periphery. He eventually ended up landing a freelance contract as a warrior in service of the Triumvir of Kharkhand in the year 3048 (he has been with the planet for seven years).

Note: everything after this point is up for change, basically it swivels based on side and GM's discretion. I am planning on making Andrei a bit on the evil side, how evil is based on side, and if the GM will let me use the on planned background from this point. I can and will change it at the GM's discretion

Once Maeric died, Andrei found himself moving up in the world, Someone took a bit of interest in him and set him up to become an "interrogator" (note he is still a low ranking member of the Triumvir guards, he just got some extra duties on the side) (torturer, it happens in cases like this) of "criminals" (rebels, political prisoners, traitors, you name it, he causes pain to it) a position he excelled at. Seven months after the ascension of Archduke Leofric, the Jarrund Massacre occurred. Andrei was in one of the Guard mechs on site,

After repeated attempts by the guards to call the citizenry to disperse, shots were fired. Andrei was sickened by the use of mech class weaponry on the civilians in the street, and this incident drove him into the arms of the rebel camp. (Andrei believes the true threat is Leofric)

Personality: Andrei's issue with his father's wife has left him bitter. this plus him being an outsider in the rather patriotic left him feeling alone for most of his life. Once he had some semblance of power, this loneliness manifested itself in a sadistic streak. He actually enjoys causing pain to others, though the remnants of his father's and mother's morals are still with him. He always attempts to give people an out, as he managed to grab one himself when the world seemed against him (him getting out of the Concordat when his (not sure what to call Makarov's wife compared to andrei) disinherited him.

Note: GM choice on the mech, i can't decide... though i would prefer the Charger overall, as it is for the lulz and is not exactly out of place in the periphery. i will have no issues if you decide on a different one of the 4 units i presented however.

edit: (forgot to add this) Andrei's mech, a Charger, was taken from a small mech factory (produces maybe 20 mechs a year) in the Taurian concordat in the year 3047 shortly after the death of the factory's owner Makarov Averin. Outside of minor pirate incursions it has not seen much combat in the service of the Triumvir of Kharkhand. This will likely change with the start of the Kharkhandan Civil war.

-Mech-
Mech Class: 80 ton assault
Mech Model: CGR-1A1 Charger
Mech Loadout: 400 standard engine, 10 tons of durallex Heavy armor (standard armor) 5 small lasers (completely stock) speed 5/8/0 (it is known to be widely used as a periphery garrison unit, plus it is on the light side of being a steiner scout mech. also i kind of want to beat small mechs to a pulp with its fist as the charger is known for punching things.)

Thank you for your time

For the honor of the regiment,

dal10

(my formal ending felt like it was needed.)

Edited by dal10, 25 February 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#4 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

@cmopatrick
I like the character concept, the bumbling, rambling, aged veteran is a nice addition.
I however am not so keen on the crazy amount of LosTech/Expensive Tech, I'll let you keep it, but when you get hit, and systems go offline, mechanics are gonna look and you, shrug and say "We can't even begin to figure out how to fix it, or where you could find parts". And before you say he could fix it, you'll need to find replacement parts to fix it with, which will cost an arm and both legs. If you can even find them.
So that Mongoose would probably look like a zombie mech by the end of this. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into.
You're In.

@dal10
Looks pretty good, I like it.
As for mechs, I'm not wild about the Rifleman, but I think the Charger might be funny. I'll let you pick between your Light, Medium and Assault choices you listed.
You're In.

Vote Tally:
x1 Leofric Loyalist
x1 Osric Rebel

(I will add your characters and mechs to the list in the first page once you've nailed down what you're driving.)

Edited by Janitor101, 21 February 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#5 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the addition. I downgraded the 'Mech to the MON-67: standard armor, 3ML, 1SL, 200 standard, no bap. That work for you, sir?

#6 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

As I said, I'll let you have the MON-66b, but it'll likely be in a sorry state of repair at the end, basically, it'd most likely be totaled. Barely fit for the junkyard.
But it's your choice.

#7 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostJanitor101, on 21 February 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

As I said, I'll let you have the MON-66b, but it'll likely be in a sorry state of repair at the end, basically, it'd most likely be totaled. Barely fit for the junkyard.
But it's your choice.

well, while I'll miss the BAP, the rest was more along the lines of familiarity. While there would still be a number of 66 and 66b coreward, I think the character is unlikely to have had the money to fully refit the 67 to have enough weight available to remount a BAP (it would work, probably by dropping the SL and damage prone CT ML), Anyway, since I rather play a more likely stock 'Mech, I think your points make the 67 'Goose the better choice. (unless you just rather have me in an armless zombie).

Edited by cmopatrick, 21 February 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#8 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

got to go with the charger, because 5/8/0 80 ton assault mech is hilarious.

#9 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Faction Vote: Osric Rebel
-
Name: Nathan Chippilo
Callsign: Fishy
Role: Fire support
Date of Birth: 8th June, 3020
Planet of Birth: Kharkand

-Appearance-
Picture: Photo
Height: 6’4”
Weight: 90kg - tall and broad shouldered, not exactly ideal for a ‘Mech.
Hair Color: Sandy blond
Hair Style: Quiff
Eye Color: Brown
Background:
The Chippilo family were exiled from the Lyran Commonwealth sometime during the Second Succession War. Prior to that, they had held a minor barony, but they spoke up against the Archon of the time (historical records are vague about exactly who was in power at the time, though Claudius “the Cruel” is most likely) and came out the poorer for it. Ferdinand Chippilo led his family out to the periphery in the hopes that they could avoid the wars ravaging the Inner Sphere.

Two centuries later, Nathan Chippilo is a family man, with a wife, two daughters and a son. Though he’s a furniture maker by trade, his family have never forgotten their history, helped by the presence of Ferdinand’s ancient Dervish DV-6M concealed in the basement of the family workshop. Nathan’s always been a bit of a dreamer, and has decided that, with the civil war kicking off, it’s time to make a stand. He’s read the manuals for the Dervish, and really, how hard can it be to operate?

(Osric Rebel Option)
Nathan’s ancestors fought against injustice, and he’s not going to stand by either. Maerec led the Triumvirate well, but his brothers are a disgrace to that legacy. As commoners, Nathan’s family’s future is bleak under Leofric, but Osric offers a better alternative.

(Leofric Loyalist Option)
Nathan’s ancestors were nobles, and that blood still runs in his veins. Leofric has a birthright to his position, and the rebels conspiring against him are threatening to tear society apart. And with any luck, Nathan might be able to earn a minor title, and elevate his family back to its former privileged position.

-Mech-
Mech Class: Medium
Mech Model: Stock Dervish DV-6M
Mech Loadout:
2 LRM-10s (2 tons of ammo)
2 SRM-2s (2 tons of ammo)
2 Medium Lasers
275 engine (86.4km/h)
5 jump jets
10 single heat sinks (including engine heat sinks)

#10 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

sparks, something is fishy about your post... :D

#11 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

@Sparks
Looks excellent. Totally in.

Go bug some friends, see if they're interested, would like a few more people to start this.

Vote Tally:
x1 Leofric Loyalist
x2 Osric Rebel

#12 Janitor101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Alright, I'm calling it. Start topic will be up tonight or tomorrow.
We will play as rebellious MechWarriors supporting Duke Osric.

Others are welcome to sign up to fill the other roles still open, however don't vote for a faction, since its already been decided.

#13 Aegis Fate

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, I'll be joining up some time, just been too busy to get a character written down.

#14 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

less psychopathic Andrei confirmed. (leofric andrei was going to be a bit of a nightmare, as in if you guys aren't creeped out by his cruelty, i was doing it wrong.)

#15 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

i am guessing that for some reason or another this assault is going to fail, we crush them too fast and this will be extremely quick.

#16 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

well, it is his first go at it, maybe he will want it to go quickly once he reads our parts... well, mine anyway; i'm sure the rest of you will do fine.

#17 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

well i think my first one went well, but note, the stuff in parenthesis are not in character and are more clarifying measures.

#18 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

hmmmm.... maybe i need to back off until the rest catch up or i'll corner everyone else into my little world... :P :lol:

#19 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

no big deal, its not like you are advancing the story or anything. we are just waiting on sparks to post, then we can either stay where we are at for a while or advance.

#20 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

If you guys would be okay with it, I got more than a few idears for a character

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users