Your Gaming Mouse And You - A Simple Guide For Newbies Into The World Of Gaming Mice

83 replies to this topic

#1 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

It's easy to be swept up in the rush for better frame rates and the need for more balance in patches. Every FPS gained, every tweak, every bug squashed, can help make your gaming experience better. But what about a general upgrade? Not just for MWO but for every game you play and perhaps even your web browsing experience? I'm not talking about a hardware upgrade, nor an OS upgrade. What I am talking about is buying a decent quality gaming mouse.

I've seen quite a few reviews on here for mice already but at the same time I've yet to see someone come on here and give some general guidelines and suggestions for purchasing one. It was a thread like this that got me to purchase my first gaming mouse when I started to play the first modern warfare and battlefield 2142 so I figure it's time I helped do the same here. Let's begin!

What defines a "gaming" mouse?

A gaming mouse is a bit of a loose term but it typically involves the following
- Greater sensitivity
- Adjustable features
- More buttons
- "Upgraded" Aesthetics to include features like lights and color

The term is applied rather loosely these days as I have seen a 3 button, 1500 dpi mouse billed as "gaming" because it was red. This was done to justify the 10$ price increase over the black model which had identical specs.......so yeah, please don't buy very generic brand "gaming" mice.

What do I need to know when shopping for one?

There are a lot of factors to consider when buying a gaming mouse, but in my mind the #1 feature is comfort. This can be difficult when buying online but to give you an idea of what you're looking for, go down to a best buy or micro center or whatever and pay close attention to how you naturally grab the various mice on display. What you want to look for is how you hold the mice - do you use more of a "claw" grip or a "palm" grip? And do you feel more comfortable on a larger mouse, or a smaller mouse? What I mean by claw vs. palm is whether or not your palm actually makes regular contact with the mouse. This is common with a larger, heavier mouse as you need more force to move the mouse around so using a palm grip (in my useage at least) helps you keep control. In a "claw" grip, your fingers alone move the mouse around. The claw grip is better on a smaller mouse by a comfort standpoint, but again, your mileage may vary. Best buy does sell gaming mice in store so there is no replacement for going down there and giving the different models a feel in your hand. Some mice such as the Razer Naga will have over 10 buttons on them so a comfortable feel is important if you want to use all of them.

Once you know what type of mouse you think will suit you best, the other thing to consider is the features of the mouse. Wireless mode, adjustable weights, adjustable size, adjustable sensitivity, # of buttons, macro capabilities, and remappable buttons. There are even more features but these are the most common. For a beginner mouse, adjustable sensitivity is a MUST. You just don't know how sensitive you want it until you get one for yourself and use it for a while. The maximum sensitivity doesn't matter, so long as you are in the 2k-3000 DPI (more DPI = more cursor movement for every inch or cm you move the mouse) range. Buying a 100$ mouse capable of 6k DPI does you no good if you don't like it past 4k DPI. I am on my 8th gaming mouse so by this point, I know what sensitivities I like and don't like, as well as what features I will use and what features I won't.

So what mouse is good for a beginner?

I'm sure others will disagree so I will make a short list at the bottom for popular choices based on price or features. Most peripheral manufacturers make a "gaming" mouse these days so you're not at all limited in choice, no matter your style. Here's what I consider to be a "good" gaming mouse

- Price <50$ since you will likely upgrade in a year or so to something more specialized for a game or your personal preference
- DPI between 2 and 4 thousand. with the ability to adjust on the fly (meaning you press a button to make it more or less sensitive and cycle through preset settings)
- At least 5 buttons, two of which are easily used by the thumb
- Wired over wireless. Simpler construction, cheaper cost.

The models I used when I started were the razer diamondback and the microsoft sidewinder (OG sidewinder mouse, not the X5 refresh). They couldn't be more different. The sidewinder was incredibly light and designed for a "claw" grip. My hands are large so I found it uncomfortable for a long gaming session. It also topped out at 1600 DPI which was fine on an old CRT monitor but when I upgraded to a 1080 resolution LCD it just didn't cut it. The sidewinder had a much more easily adjustable sensitivity (3 dedicated buttons to switch between user defined modes) and had a much larger area meant for a "palm" grip. The buttons for the thumb were easier to use since they were stacked vertically instead of horizontally like on the diamondback. Oh and the diamondback broke within 6 months of use. The sidewinder? I gave it away to a friend as his first gaming mouse back in 2009 and he still uses it today. The mouse came with extra teflon feet and adjustable weights but he said he removed one of the weights (I like a heavy mouse) and replaced the feet in 2011 and it is still his daily mouse.

What about their use outside of my game?

Gaming mice are typically sculpted a bit more comfortably to fit your grip style. Some even come with adjustable bodies like the R.A.T. mouse series or the logitech G9. Not to mention that some mice can be used to compensate for other features that might be lacking on your computer. This laptop I game on lacks a decent media bar. But my newest addition (logitech G700) has three buttons just to the left of left click. I use them as media control buttons since I now have 4 buttons within my thumb's reach. They were easily changeable within the mouse software and it took about a half an hour to get this setup between some testing and changing.

After using gaming mice for so long, I have begun to hate my work mouse due to its lack of comfort and features. I am about to bring in an older mouse I don't use too often (poor contruction + lack of features) just so I can have some comfort when doing work on the computer.

Enough talk, give me some specific mice to look for!

I'll do my best to update this as needed but here are my current suggestions based on personal experience. Note that these mice are outside the realm of a "typical" first time buyer unless a major sale happens but they are very good mice.

Logitech G9x - http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1
It is a wired mouse that has become my gold standard for mice since microsoft decided to stop making the sidewinder X8 (discussed later). 5700 DPI, two "bodies" for the mouse, easily adjustable DPI between 5 settings, adjustable weights, and a very solid laser sensor. I highly recommend that you download the software to customize the mouse to your liking. I don't recommend paying 80$ for it though, not if it's your first mouse anyways.

Logitech G700 - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826104377 Again, I don't recommend paying this price for the mouse, but it is my current favorite. 13 buttons helps make up for a lack of media buttons on my laptop but it is a larger mouse so I can palm it with ease. The wireless mode is great when the wire gets uncomfortable and the internal battery is rechargeable via USB cable.

*I am willing to hear suggestions for other mice here, please link to a good review and I will post them here*

What *don't * you recommend?

Anything made by razer will fall apart in under a year. I wish I was exaggerating but I am being literal. Between me and 3 other friends, we've bought 3 mice, 1 keyboard, 2 headsets, and 3 gamepads. All lasted about 6 months before catastrophic failure. All the mice failed to be recognized by windows, both headsets had issues outputting sound, the gamepads no longer were recognized, and the keyboard made a *FZZZT* sound one night and that was all she wrote. Besides the keyboard, we deduced that all of the others were let down at their connectors (If you jiggled them around they would be recognized momentarily). This was odd because the headsets didn't see much travel and neither did one of the mice and one of the gamepads, they just make the worst quality connectors at razer. I know others have different experiences, but I can not with good conscience give a recommendation to any razer product.

I also want to say - stay away from any mouse costing less than 20$ new unless it is a sale price. This product - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826501009 isn't a gaming mouse. It is a normal mouse, glossed up a bit. This mouse, made by the SAME company - http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1 comes a lot closer to being a gaming mouse. Note the wider body for better grip as well as 1600DPI vs 1000 DPI. 1600 still isn't that impressive but it's better than your standard mouse.

So what do you recommend for buying a gaming mouse?

If it's your first mouse, take my advice - BUY USED OR REFURBISHED. I know of very few people who only bought one gaming mouse for a very long period of time. Your tastes might change, your grip might change, your hand size might change (if you're younger).......Buying a refurbished mouse or a used mouse gets you into the club for a very low entry fee. That logitech G9x I showed earlier? I paid 40$ for it through an ebay ad because it was a floor demo and was missing the manuals and box. It has worked perfect for 2 years and counting. My old sidewinder X8 wireless mouse retailed for 80$ + but I got it for 30$ through a refurbished/floor model site. I even got the extra weights and feet. Actually if you can find it for cheap, the X8 is the best mouse I've owned from a balance standpoint. It is wireless with the battery lasting around 15-20 hours on a charge. It can be recharged via a very small cable and a quick magnetic connection. No interruption of game needed. It has two very well placed thumb buttons and a high maximum DPI with a quick way to cycle through your DPI settings. The weight and size were great for my hand.

Once you own a mouse or two, I recommend buying an additional mouse that's different than yours on the occasional sale or ebay auction, just to try a different style. The Zalman "Gun" FG1000 is a prime example - http://www.newegg.co...82E16826501004. I paid 20$ for it and used it occasionally in call of duty. I tried it in MWO and a few other games but it only found use in CoD. I don;t regret it though because it is fun for me and it has a use.

So to close up this post, I will post two recommended lists that I will update based on responses. A list of simple, cheap yet effective mice for beginners, and a list of higher end, top quality mice for those willing to spend a bit more. Remember, there is nothing wrong with buying used or refurbished so long as it works.

Beginner mice (Prices <50$ NEW)
- Logitech G100, G300, G400 (all are gaming mice under 50$)
- Cooler master Storm Xornet (25$, 2000 DPI, 4 egg rating on newegg)
- Cooler master Storm Sentinel Advance II (49$, 8200 DPI, laser sensor)

Best Mice
- Cyborg R.A.T. line - 3,5,7,9 (7 and 9 are the same except for 9 being wireless)
- Logitech G9x / G700 / G500 / G600 (G600 = MMO mouse, G700 = wireless, G9x and G500 = all around mice)
- Tt eSports level 10 (Haven't used personally but reviews seem good)
- Genius GX-gaming Gila - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826570016 (bit of an unknown brand but it reviews well for larger hands and has a lot of features for less than 100$)

- Corsair M90 (almost forgot about this one, missed initial edit but is added due to seeing multiple reviews + good reviews from personal friends. Recommended buy if it fits your hand)

**If you want to recommend a razer mouse you better be prepared to back it up with external long term reviews. I absolutely loved all my products out of the box only to find the build quality lacking severely next to ALL of their major competition. The only mouse that has died on me or my friends has been razer branded. **

Edited by themanwithsauce, 31 March 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#2 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Corsair M60 is a fantastic FPS mouse. very solid and reliable.

#3 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSecond star to the right.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

Nice little guide here and indeed buy a mouse to suit you, a mouse might get 100/100 in all reviews and still be rubbish for you because it doesn't match your needs/grip.

Personal advice I love my roccat kone (I have the xtd), but I don't have it a long time yet, about a month now after my loyal logitech G5 died on me.

#4 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hi!.

Thank you for this little guide.

I am a left hander and im looking for a gaming mouse that has more of a neutral shaped body (like the logitech M100 i am currently using).
Can anyone give some advice on where to look at decent left hander gaming mouse?

Thank you in advance.

Btw. my grip style is more of a fingertip- claw- hybrid- grip.

Edited by Erasus Magnus, 30 March 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#5 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

I use a R.A.T. 3, they are adjustable to hand size have 5 buttons with 3 different profiles, has rapid fire if you want to use it, dpi adjust <3500 DPI> is very very comfortable and I paid 39.98 for mine at bestbuy.
I also use a nostromo, but thats a different periphrial.

Posted Image

Edited by Havok1978, 30 March 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#6 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

anyone have any experience with a Logitech g500???

#7 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

The biggest difference between a "gaming" mouse and a normal mouse is the normal mouse works at 125 Hz, and the gaming mouse works at 500 Hz or over. In a game like counterstrike this makes a noticable difference. In world of warcraft it's not that important of course.

Second biggest difference is a few extra buttons, can come in handy if you want to do something while keeping your left hand on wasd so you can keep moving. Not really a must for fps games, but in mmorpg type games this is the primary feature I guess.

DPI is not important, if you want to be consistent and accurate you'll want to make big movements with the mouse and set the ingame sensitivity very low. 1000 DPI is plenty and all gaming mice can achieve this.

software so you can adjust dpi might come in handy when tuning sensitivity, but it'll only save time (not having to restart the game every time to adjust in a .ini). Disabling acceleration can be done in windows or with the markc mouse fix if you want to get rid of the last 5%.

View Postthemanwithsauce, on 29 March 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

There are a lot of factors to consider when buying a gaming mouse, but in my mind the #1 feature is comfort.

agreed.

Edited by Flapdrol, 30 March 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#8 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

one of the huge factors is on the fly DPI in example the sniper button on the M60. being able to drop your DPI with a button push tp snipe better, and bring it up to brawl is huge.

#9 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

that does sound pretty enticing

#10 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Anything made by razer will fall apart in under a year. I wish I was exaggerating but I am being literal.

Keyboards and other peripherals, yes. WIRED MICE, NO!

My son has a couple of imperators for FPS. He recently bought a new one to replace his old one. He gave the older one to my 8 year old, and it still works fine, I guess they changed it ergonomically somehow and he felt it fit better.

My wife and I also run razer nagas. Both bought at the same time, both several years old. These replaced another set of nagas that I ordered for us when they FIRST came out. I can tell you from experience, the button "misclick" issue has been fixed, and it didn't even pop up for about 2 years.

For anyone not familiar, the razer naga is designed as an MMO mouse, with a 12 key numeric pad on the LH side of the mouse. It takes a little getting used to, but having all your weapons groups under your thumb is a HUGE advantage, especially to anyone who finds themself "bumping" the mouse off the target when left/right clicking. Ergonomically, it's the most comfortable mouse I have ever owned. The latest revision comes with adjustable sides to widen/shrink the width to accomoadate people with larger or smaller hand sizes.

Don't get me wrong here, I've experienced the razer "curse". At one point I went through 7 Razer Lycosa keyboards to find one that wouldn't randomly key stick or drop out, and ended up going through the store's entire stock without finding one that worked. We've had two Black Widow ultimates, and they both had an odd tendency to refuse to want to start every once in a blue moon [had to unplug/re plug the USB cables] They were JUST annoying enough that I replaced them. [My wife's with a Mionix Zibal 60, mine with a Ducky ; ) ]

For all that, I will STILL recommend WIRED Razer mouses. The wireless version of the Naga is reported to have issues with connectivity and battery life, and while I don't personally use the imperators, I'm sure if the thing had any functional issues my 17 y/o would've whined about it to no end as to why he needed a new mouse. You couldn't PRY my wired naga out of my hands.

Just an alternate perspective for potential buyers.

#11 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 30 March 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

anyone have any experience with a Logitech g500???

It's one of the best mice you can get, especially for the money.

Amazon has it for just about $50, which is a good notch below an comparable mouse. Most of the mice mentioned here are $70-$80, including the G700 (just a wireless G500 without switchable weights), M60, Rat7/9, and any decent Razer mouse (the only decent Razer mouse at that pricepoint is the Death Adder, and the G500 > Death Adder).

This is exactly why the G500 is typically the most recommended mouse around here, and on many other forums I've frequented. Start any gaming mouse thread, and it almost always dominates recommendations.

The Razer Naga is also nice, I'll agree with Sen there, but once you get past the huge smattering of buttons (far more useful for MMOs than, say, shooters), I'd rather have the switchable weights and on-the-fly DPI buttons (and indicator) you get with other, more shooter-oriented mice. If I played mostly MMOs I might feel differently, though.

Edited by Catamount, 30 March 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#12 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostSen, on 30 March 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Keyboards and other peripherals, yes. WIRED MICE, NO!

Don't get me wrong here, I've experienced the razer "curse". At one point I went through 7 Razer Lycosa keyboards to find one that wouldn't randomly key stick or drop out, and ended up going through the store's entire stock without finding one that worked. We've had two Black Widow ultimates, and they both had an odd tendency to refuse to want to start every once in a blue moon [had to unplug/re plug the USB cables] They were JUST annoying enough that I replaced them. [My wife's with a Mionix Zibal 60, mine with a Ducky ; ) ]

For all that, I will STILL recommend WIRED Razer mouses. The wireless version of the Naga is reported to have issues with connectivity and battery life, and while I don't personally use the imperators, I'm sure if the thing had any functional issues my 17 y/o would've whined about it to no end as to why he needed a new mouse. You couldn't PRY my wired naga out of my hands.

Just an alternate perspective for potential buyers.

See that is exactly why I said I can't buy another razer product - you went through 7?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! AND YOU STILL STUCK WITH IT?!?!?!?!?!? You know there are other manufacturers out there, right?

To me, the mice were always the first to go. My keyboard lasted almost a year before the backlighting flaking out and windows deciding it wasn't a keyboard. My diamondback lasted all of 6 months. My friends deathadder lasted 5 months before you could shake it like a maraca and another month after that before the left click stopped working.

I'll be honest, to me a razer product is like an apple product - you pay for image, not necessarily features. Again, this is entirely my own opinion and experience but I have yet to have a logitech or microsoft product fail me in the hardware department. I'm sure some people have had a logitech G9x fail them but it seems far less common.

For those asking about the G500 - I have a few friends who have one. Many of them keep it as a backup mouse because they often have a wireless mouse (one has a sidewinder X8, another has a G700 like me) but most say it is a solid mouse and is perfect for all around gaming use......BUT you will probably upgrade to a different mouse when you run into its feature and button limitations. The g700 has 4 buttons available at the thumb alone and the sidewinder has a vertical stack for its two. Personally, I found the vertical stacking easier to hit consistently. Your mileage may vary, but having 4 arranged in a 2x2 means I can have my vertical buttons for weapon group switching at a slight twitch of my thumb.

Edited by themanwithsauce, 30 March 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#13 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

View Postthemanwithsauce, on 30 March 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

See that is exactly why I said I can't buy another razer product - you went through 7?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! AND YOU STILL STUCK WITH IT?!?!?!?!?!? You know there are other manufacturers out there, right?

To me, the mice were always the first to go. My keyboard lasted almost a year before the backlighting flaking out and windows deciding it wasn't a keyboard. My diamondback lasted all of 6 months. My friends deathadder lasted 5 months before you could shake it like a maraca and another month after that before the left click stopped working.

I'll be honest, to me a razer product is like an apple product - you pay for image, not necessarily features. Again, this is entirely my own opinion and experience but I have yet to have a logitech or microsoft product fail me in the hardware department. I'm sure some people have had a logitech G9x fail them but it seems far less common.

Honestly, I think it might be more than opinion. I think we've had enough people just on these forums complain about Razer reliability to constitute a statistically significant group. It's been brought up that many times.

You can add my three Razer Carcharias headsets that broke in the span of a year to that list, two of which had meticulous care taken of them when I discovered how delicate they were. I didn't stick it out until 7 before getting a real headset from another company (Vengeance 1500).

I think you're right about them being like Apple. If you pay the same price for a gaming device as what you'd pay from a different company, you get vastly cheaper construction, because once you're done paying the premium for the name, they need to cut corners elsewhere to keep it comparably priced. If you want something that's actually equivalent to what other companies make, expect to pay several times as much.

Case in point: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834326003

Here's MSI, doing the same thing for less than half the price: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834152369 (despite looking heftier, the MSI machine is almost a pound lighter than the "Blade")

So with Razer, you can either pay as much for an inferior product, or vastly more for the same product. That's why I avoid them.

View Postthemanwithsauce, on 30 March 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

For those asking about the G500 - I have a few friends who have one. Many of them keep it as a backup mouse because they often have a wireless mouse (one has a sidewinder X8, another has a G700 like me) but most say it is a solid mouse and is perfect for all around gaming use......BUT you will probably upgrade to a different mouse when you run into its feature and button limitations. The g700 has 4 buttons available at the thumb alone and the sidewinder has a vertical stack for its two. Personally, I found the vertical stacking easier to hit consistently. Your mileage may vary, but having 4 arranged in a 2x2 means I can have my vertical buttons for weapon group switching at a slight twitch of my thumb.

You know, I've never understood the obsession with needing to cram 134,291 buttons on a mouse. The point of the mouse is to have your absolute most-accessed buttons on-hand, not to try to fit a full 104 key keyboard into it.

Now the G700 has dropped enough in price that it's worth considering for being wireless, but truth be told, I'm not sure I'd pay $20 for a couple extra buttons. I certainly wouldn't spend an extra $70, after buying something like a G500, to get a couple extra buttons, not when my left hand sits a split second from 20-30 buttons near the WASD keys anyways, and not when the G700 is more of a sidegrade (it lacks interchangeable weights and correct me if I'm wrong, but it also lacks the ability to do smooth-scrolling for web-browsing, no?). I just don't have more then 30 things I need split-second access to in any game.

That's not so much a G500/G700 specific observation as just the fact that IMO, I think there is way too much emphasis on how many buttons can be crammed onto a mouse. I have a G500, and I could afford to run out, right now, and get a G700 and think nothing of it. Some day the wire may compel me to if I feel I could live with all the downsides of that switch, but it's definitely not happening for lack of buttons. I only bought the G500 to replace my G5 (only 2 thumb buttons) because it was on a $30 sale, that and after 6 years the G5's sheath over the chord finally gave out :lol:

Edited by Catamount, 31 March 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#14 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

just got my g500 :P so much better then that pos hp mouse that uses a wheel that always gets jammed and stops tracking
i have a feeling my k/d and accuracy rating are gonna start going up ;)

#15 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

If you haven't had a Logitech gaming mouse before, take a look at the options the Setpoint software gives you. Independent X/Y sensitivity is nice once you get used to it, and you might have to set some of the mouse buttons to be "generic mouse button[s]" in Setpoint for MWO to read them, so just a heads up there.

All in all, it's a fantastic shooter mouse.

#16 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

ughhhh, downloads+windows 8= ;)

kinda wish download disks had windows 8 drivers

Will provide basic navigation in Windows 8 style UI. Features programmed in SetPoint software may not function in this mode.

not the most promising thing to see first.....

#17 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

haven't bothered with advanced features yet, but just got 4 kills, 2 assist, and did 540 dmg in a game testing a set-up on my ctf-2x GOD I LOVE THIS MOUSE ;)

1v3 = i win!! :P

#18 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

[color=#959595]See that is exactly why I said I can't buy another razer product - you went through 7?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! AND YOU STILL STUCK WITH IT?!?!?!?!?!? You know there are other manufacturers out there, right?[/color]

Hey, I had the Razer Naga first, and while it blew my mind, I've never had any issue with the nagas.

Besides, it didn't end up costing me more than a few bucks in gas, and I got to open shiny new product after shiny new product. I just ended up returning the last one, and the guy at the desk I dealt with the entire time got a story out of it ;)

You can mock me all you want, but I'm so comfortable with the razer naga I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've tried a handful of other mice on and off over the years, and they just don't track the same. I can't STAND Logitech's tracking anymore, it always feels too fast or too slow, no matter how I adjust it. I've looked at the R.A.T.s, but even with all those adjustments they don't quite mold to how I grip my mice.

You can bash them all you like, and I won't argue there's a bit of truth in the apple analogy [especially now that they're getting into the portable gaming niche' business] but occasionally every company lets loose a reliable, decent product. For me, The Naga is that product.

It's my experience and my opinion. You don't have to share it, but at least give me the benefit of the doubt over my personal experience on the subject : )

Edited by Sen, 31 March 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#19 themanwithsauce

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 31 March 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

haven't bothered with advanced features yet, but just got 4 kills, 2 assist, and did 540 dmg in a game testing a set-up on my ctf-2x GOD I LOVE THIS MOUSE :lol:

1v3 = i win!! B)

The biggest advantage in practically any gaming mouse is the increased movement speed and sensitivity. I had an old dynex mouse before I got really into gaming, especially on higher resolutions and I was trying to snipe someone in BF 2142 and I remember having to quickly pickup and move the mouse around to keep scrolling when tracking people to snipe. That is such a huge killer of your score right there. You can track, you know where the enemy is, you know what you need to do to get the kill and you have the jump on them.......right up to the point where the mouse falls off the side of the desk.

That's also why I said in my first post you're probably going to want around 2000 DPI (or more) to start with. Once you get used to it, start making different DPI settings for different modes. A sniping heavy mech might call for a little less DPI for easier time hitting torsos or legs or weapons. A light mech will probably do better with more DPI so you can spaz out a bit more. Plus you can always limit your maximum DPI to a number less than the maximum possible. I actually have settings ranging from 800 to I believe 4600 on my mouse that's capable of 5700. Same with my old sidewinder. I turn it up occasionally but I don't find those to be that useful for the games I play.

A fun trick to map a button to is a "quick turn" - if you have a mouse that supports macros (I miss my old sidewinder) you can map a button to do a 180 turn in a snap. It takes some time to set it up correctly and get used to, but it was awesome for CoD and BF games to confuse the hell out of people ;) The more you play with them, the more you can get out of them.

Edited by themanwithsauce, 31 March 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#20 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

i used to love razer stuff too, but their quality has really gone down over the past few years, and they DO break within a year.

i have since moved to corsair stuff, and have used a m90 since release with no issues, crappy software yes, unintuitive ui. but once you get passed that and figure it out, you will be rewarded with great hardware. i love the mouse itself, great balance, great button placement, excellent tracking. great feel in hand, awesome looking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users