19 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hey everyone, I'm returning from yet another long hiatus. I'm going to respond to a few things that stood out to me in the most recent Ask the Devs (#36) as well as a few other issues that I'd love to see improved in this game.

I'll start by saying that I'm very impressed with the lack of warping and general hit detection consistency since I last played. Before, a Jenner could just run around you zapping all over the place and shooting it did nothing, so everyone relied on streaks or lasers to at least do some damage. With the addition of the (still pretty damn ridiculous) ECM, lights with ECM were basically undefeatable. I still don't understand how so many people have such high 300+ pings in this game, I live in a crappy apartment complex where I share my internet with the whole building at university and my ping is in the 60s or so. My ping to EU is still around 110... do we really have like 50% player pop coming from china or australia? This isn't the devs fault though, and they've done a good job, at least in my experience, at allowing me to hit "lagging" targets accurately.

Okay, so I'll just jump right in here.

[b]Geist Null: By the number of pink snordies I’ve seen in the field, I’d say the hero mech before c-bill variants was a success. do you plan on continuing that? Cause I would love to get a hero orion and hero hermes II to grind with the bonus before the c-bill models. When is hermes II coming out?[/b]
A: The next two Hero `Mechs will be designs from already released content. We may see a return to this model in Summer.

I have to admit, as a founder I'm pretty irked at Hero mech stats. I paid $60 into a game that was entirely unproven just on my hopes that it would be worthwhile, and I stuck it out and never retracted my founder status even when they were offering refunds. My single founders mech, which I can't even name, gets 25% C-bill bonus... yet the new Hero mechs get 30%. Why? I could have easily saved my 60 bucks and spent only 20 and gotten a Hero mech or two, both of which make more c-bills than my founder. I know I have MC leftover from my founders package, but it's still ********.

[b]PanzerMagier: Will the Yen Lo Wang ever get it's claws/hatchet?[/b]
[b]Source:http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang[/b]
A: When and/or if we do melee.

I really hope this is a big if, we are just now getting over the lag/hitbox stupidity. I don't want to have some glitcher running around in the round 2-hitting people with a giant axe. This isn't armored core.

[b]Phylum: Can the excess heat damage components inside the mech and reduce their capacity?[/b]
[b]Ex: engine losing 10% power, 5% longer recharge times for weapons and so on.[/b]
A: It’s possible, however we do not have any immediate plans to support this.

Please do this. I'm sure that this response, "possible," is their nice way of saying no, but I'd really love to have something like this, similar to the table top heat scale (reduced movement speed, maybe cockpit fire, small % recharge penalty might work but no more than 5%).

[b]Ghost Badger: Has PGI considered matching the armor values to the cosmetics, shape, size of the mechs? For example, more armor on the 'shield' arm of a centurion, or the shield shoulder/arms of an Awesome, or the finned/side torsos of a Jagermech? Conversely, less side torso armor on mechs with smaller side torsos, like Catapults and Stalkers?[/b]
A: No plans currently, as the armor values are derived initially from the table top rules.

And it should stay like this.

[b]Metafox: SSRMs and LRMs appear to share the same locking function, even to the point where Artemis benefits both indiscriminately. Are there any plans to decouple the two systems and tweak them individually?[/b]
A: No plans at the moment.

I'm fine with this, but why can't I fire my Streak SRM's dumbfire like every single other mechwarrior title? I don't care if the spread or do **** damage, I should be able to dumbfire them just as I can LRM's.

[b]ThinkTank: Are there any plans to add tonnage and critical space as a component of Cool Shot? If not, can you please explain the in-game mechanism that provides the temperature reduction? i.e. water or another liquid or a gas based temperature reduction device.[/b]
A: No plans. I’ll let David invent some “tech” description.

The way this worked before was that you "flushed out" the hot coolant in your mech before it had time to cool down. This was risky as it meant you didn't have that coolant anymore (now a gas in the atmosphere) so you dissipated heat more slowly after flushing. However in this game, flushing coolant doesn't actually effect your normal passive heat dissipation rate, so I have no idea how they're going to explain this. Should've done it as I said here, then it'd put a little more skill into it rather than people just spamming cool shots at the beginning of a round (as you'd suffer the rest of the round with less coolant).

[b]Perspicatron: Do you have plans to implement active/passive sensors? I think that if every mech had a limited "stealth" mode there would be more use for TAG/BAP/Narc and it might balance the fact that only a select few mechs can mount ECM.[/b]
A: Yes. No ETA.

This should be a priority. It's also pretty stupid that only certain mechs can mount ECM, and even more stupid that BAP does absolutely nothing in game against ECM. I mean, whose idea was it that you have to counter ECM with another ECM? Terrible.

[b]Edweird: Are there any plans in motion you can tell us about in regards to limited area of effect 'mech explosions when they get destroyed as in previous MechWarrior titles? Will this not deter going into the silly hugging fests and add a level of consideration as well as make flocks of light 'mechs swarming over a single one think twice before they commit? This might work well with knockdowns once they are implemented.[/b]
A: We’ve chosen not to go the route of exploding cores.

THANK GOODNESS. Those stackpole explosions were terrible.

[b]Tesunie: Are we to expect any kind of special ammo for weapon systems? In particular, I'm asking about Thunder LRM ammo. I think it'd be nice to predict enemy movements and blind fire these Thunder LRMs to set up a quick mine field on the ground.[/b]
A: No ETA.

I was hoping they'd do this too, but they said earlier that they had no plans to implement different ammo types so I'd assume Swarm/Thunder LRM as well as Spread/Single LBX ammo will not ever make it into this game.

[b]Big Giant Head: Have you considered introducing crouch mode? And if so, are there going to be limitations of mechs that can crouch, or it has to be an upgrade like endo-steel and artemis or module (gyro module)?[/b]
A: It has been discussed internally, however no formal design work has been done.

I hope they do this. It wouldn't be too ridiculous, and probably wouldn't really do very much, but I was a fan of it in the older ones for trying to stay behind cover or perching up in a crevice to snipe. Since you can't walk while crouched, it definitely has enough disadvantages where it wouldn't change the balance at all.

[b]BitMonger505: Are there any plans to release a native 64 bit executable?[/b]
A: Possibly.

Also would be very useful. I mean, the engine can already do it and for ****'s sake, it's 2013. I'd bet a wide majority of users are either on x64 now or will be in the next 2 years or less.

[b]Karma Police: why not give us the abilty to shoot down LRMs with MGs and lasers?[/b]
A: Possibly.

I hope not, or at least if allowed the LRM's need to move at a MUCH higher velocity, As it stands now I could shoot down every missile in an LRM-20 barage by sweeping my ERLL's across it because they move so slow. If this gets added, they need to adjust LRM's heavily first otherwise it will be terribly half-assed.

[b]DocBach: Are there any plans of increasing the function of other information warfare tools such as Beagle Active Probe or the Narc Beacon?[/b]
A: Yes, we are reviewing them now.

Thank you. I've had BAP equipped for like 30 rounds before I realized it has literally no functionality or advantage whatsoever. Why put the item in the game this early then? Stupid.

And now one final issue I see as a huge problem that was implemented as a temporary fix for lagging hitboxes, but should now be repealed: engine size limits. Now that the netcode has been relatively normalized, it's totalyl unecessary to have this limit in place. I hope that the devs will revisit this topic and revert to the previous engine system. I mean, if I want to build a hunchback that has a 300XL, why shouldn't I be allowed to? I can perform a similar function with the Trebuchet I know, but that's not the point. I'm sure some will be opposed as they fear a return of the Swayback, but hey, we have 6x PPC Stalkers running around right now so it can't be any worse than that.

Another small issue, the new thermal vision sucks. Nightvision is fine now but it was fine before as well, it's just an aesthetic difference. Thermal now has extremely low range with no new advantages... at least let me pick white-hot or black-hot, on the snow maps everything is grey anyway and defeats the whole purpose.

EDIT: Please no third person. It gives an unfair advantage and you can bet the jump sniping will become exponentially worse if you can just see over a hill without going over it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the dev responses. Overall I'm pretty impressed with how much progress has been made on the game in the past few months since I last played, but it definitely needs some work (for example, I played 3 rounds in a row where the entire enemy team had ECM and only won because of it. No single item should do that).

Edited by lonewolfsx, 02 May 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#2 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postlonewolfsx, on 02 May 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

The way this worked before was that you "flushed out" the hot coolant in your mech before it had time to cool down. This was risky as it meant you didn't have that coolant anymore (now a gas in the atmosphere) so you dissipated heat more slowly after flushing. However in this game, flushing coolant doesn't actually effect your normal passive heat dissipation rate, so I have no idea how they're going to explain this. Should've done it as I said here, then it'd put a little more skill into it rather than people just spamming cool shots at the beginning of a round (as you'd suffer the rest of the round with less coolant).

How I figured how the coolant shots would act is that you flush the hot coolant out while refilling from a coolant pod with fresh new coolant that will suck the heat out of the heatsinks. It is similar to how a car engine's radiator works. Problem is a fusion engine runs much, much, hotter than a gas, diesel, and alcohol would run so the amount of coolant needed for a flush would be a lot. I was ok with them putting coolant pods in but only if they followed the TT rules and made them take up crit space and tonnage; if things were implemented this way then they could be destroyed and would actually make people ask if they wanted to bring them (cost of cbills and mc is not hurting those with excess but hurting the new players) or bring something else.

If PGI wanted a cbill sink then they should give players a ammo allowance which could cover the cheaper ammunition but if you wanted to pay the extra cbills for different types of ammo like slugs for the LBX or infernal missiles, cluster missiles aka artillery, then you would have to fork more over. This also has the benefit of adding more dynamics and strategy to the game which PGI says they want to do. Imagine being jumped sniped by a PPC mech so your team lobs low damage high heat infernal LRMs preventing the jump snipers from shooting due to overheating while your team flanks and attacks from behind. Might even solve a lot of the meta game complaints adding different types of ammo.

Edited by FireSlade, 02 May 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#3 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'll just address one point. You didn't get a founders mech for 60 dollars. You got 60$ of MC at a discounted rate AND a founders mech. And you totally can use that MC on another hero mech if you like.

Saying getting founders prevented you from getting a hero mech for 20$ is just a bit disingenuous. /shepard.

Edited by Keifomofutu, 02 May 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

The reason that thermal view mode was changed was that it was perfectly capable, even advantageous, to go immediately to thermal and view enemy mechs from the full width / length of the map. The reduction in range is a good thing, thus encouraging actual aiming skill and target detection whilst sniping.

#5 Alondo

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

From Fireslade:

If PGI wanted a cbill sink then they should give players a ammo allowance which could cover the cheaper ammunition but if you wanted to pay the extra cbills for different types of ammo like slugs for the LBX or infernal missiles, cluster missiles aka artillery, then you would have to fork more over. This also has the benefit of adding more dynamics and strategy to the game which PGI says they want to do. Imagine being jumped sniped by a PPC mech so your team lobs low damage high heat infernal LRMs preventing the jump snipers from shooting due to overheating while your team flanks and attacks from behind. Might even solve a lot of the meta game complaints adding different types of ammo.

I agree with this.
It's funny, I just automatically assumed that I would have to pay for special ammo. Just keep the prices reasonable.

Al

#6 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

All that is only vaguely interesting to me. The only question I'm interested in hearing a clear, concise answer to is:
How long until the various HUD bugs and random ctd's are quashed?

#7 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

If you could dumbfire SSRMs, what would be the point of SRMs?

#8 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Tomorrow you may get that answer. ATD37 answers is supposed to be posted tomorrow (I forget where I saw that but I saw it from a Dev). The bugs seem to be getting worse for me and the game is pretty stable running so it took awhile for me to see them but damn these are getting annoying.

#9 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostDavers, on 02 May 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Not weighing as much. More and clumsier firepower per hardpoint.

Edited by Keifomofutu, 02 May 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#10 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

So I'm guessing... Spider (rather than Raven, just to troll us) and then Trebuchet.

#11 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 02 May 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Not weighing as much. More and clumsier firepower per hardpoint.

So a SSRM would either be auto hit, or function like an SRM when needed for maximum versatility? Guess the Clan SSRM6s would work the same way? Seems like SSRMs would be the best of both worlds.

Of course with the planned ECM changes it won't matter. Long live the Streakcat.

#12 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 02 May 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Tomorrow you may get that answer. ATD37 answers is supposed to be posted tomorrow (I forget where I saw that but I saw it from a Dev). The bugs seem to be getting worse for me and the game is pretty stable running so it took awhile for me to see them but damn these are getting annoying.

Its at the end of the AtD #37 thread :)

Also, do i create a new thread to get more attention to my self for feedback on this thread or should i just post here... because the AtD #36 is like totally not locked and everything.

Edited by matux, 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#13 Ingvay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostDenno, on 02 May 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

All that is only vaguely interesting to me. The only question I'm interested in hearing a clear, concise answer to is:
How long until the various HUD bugs and random ctd's are quashed?

This is far and away THE biggest issue with this game right now. The no HUD/MiniMap/IFF bug is the biggest common issue ATM. I'm not saying that there aren't other valid issues being brought up in this thread, because there are. The HUD/MM/IFF issue and CTDs is a game breaker though.

#14 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostKeifomofutu, on 02 May 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Saying getting founders prevented you from getting a hero mech for 20$ is just a bit disingenuous. /shepard.

This is exactly NOT what I said. I even say in my post that I know I have MC from my founders package I can use to purchase a hero mech. My point is that there is no reason a hero mech should be 30% while my founders is 25%, they should either both be 25% or both be 30%. It's kind of a slap in the face.

View PostDavers, on 02 May 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

SRM's weigh less, cheaper ammo. If you are a fast mech it's probably better to use regular SRM's, but obviously if you spend the weight on streak srm's it would be to your best interest to utilize their lock-on ability as often as possible. It's just stupid that streaks only work from 170m to 200m against ECM and I literally cannot fire them at all otherwise. This was never an issue in past MW titles.

View PostIngvay, on 02 May 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

This is far and away THE biggest issue with this game right now. The no HUD/MiniMap/IFF bug is the biggest common issue ATM. I'm not saying that there aren't other valid issues being brought up in this thread, because there are. The HUD/MM/IFF issue and CTDs is a game breaker though.

You guys are right about this too. I hadn't had any crashes in my first few rounds back, but I just played one a few minutes ago and had this same issue... quite annoying when I can hear my buddies on teamspeak while I stare at whatever the last frame my game decided to render unable to do anything at all.

Edited by lonewolfsx, 02 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#15 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

View Postlonewolfsx, on 02 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

SRM's weigh less, cheaper ammo. If you are a fast mech it's probably better to use regular SRM's, but obviously if you spend the weight on streak srm's it would be to your best interest to utilize their lock-on ability as often as possible. It's just stupid that streaks only work from 170m to 200m against ECM and I literally cannot fire them at all otherwise. This was never an issue in past MW titles.

Well since BAP now counters ECM I am sure we will see SSRMs everywhere, just like before ECM.

#16 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostDavers, on 02 May 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Well since BAP now counters ECM I am sure we will see SSRMs everywhere, just like before ECM.

Since when? I've had BAP equipped in several rounds against ECM and it does nothing at all.

#17 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postlonewolfsx, on 02 May 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Since when? I've had BAP equipped in several rounds against ECM and it does nothing at all.

http://mwomercs.com/...apon-balancing/

The Command Chair from today. Soon BAP will negate ECM within 150m.

#18 tayhimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAn island

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postlonewolfsx, on 02 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

This is exactly NOT what I said.

Is this your gaming keyboard?

Posted Image

#19 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Posttayhimself, on 02 May 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Is this your gaming keyboard?
[IMAGE]

Oh wow that was helpful and constructive. Thanks for posting.

#20 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

View Postlonewolfsx, on 02 May 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

Oh wow that was helpful and constructive. Thanks for posting.

Posting in the AtD #36 would have been more useful/constructive than starting a new thread....

No seriously, this isn't about game balance. Its you throwing your 2 cents on top of the devs answers, Posts like this are the reason the forums had a huge change...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users