Jump to content

Ask The Devs - 44 - Answers!


483 replies to this topic

#461 BrotherEJ

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

If you don't think PGI is communicating well then head on over to Ghost Recon Online. People are so confused about the upcoming patch over there its getting funny. PGI is taking this franchise from none to some. Be grateful you {Noble MechWarriors} can play, but remember there are more folks like me, who never played until now. I for one think its the best F2P game at the moment. They have done a very good job. If you don't like the direction they are going with the game, then leave and take your 5k players with you, 10k will replace you if they haven't already.

#462 Chronojam

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostBrotherEJ, on 18 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

If you don't like the direction they are going with the game, then leave and take your 5k players with you, 10k will replace you if they haven't already.

Please forward your resume to hr@mwomercs.com because I think you're cut out for a community manager position, possibly marketing depending on your education and background.

#463 New Day

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostNoesis, on 18 August 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:


I have worked in the past as a project manager in the IT industry with the implementation of multi-million pound projects including both software and hardware whilst managing numerous interests that support that process. This with note worthy clients like McDonalds, International law firms, British NHS and Council organisations and the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe.

Whilst maybe not the gaming industry I think I might have some insight into the management of IT projects.

None of this suggests that I understand or have any exceptional insight into the actual details going on with PGI/IGP.

Your post also has nothing to do with that Chronojam said.

#464 Zephyr Charge

    Clone

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostNoesis, on 18 August 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I have worked in the past as a project manager in the IT industry

Quote

So, what's your least favorite movie, and why do you feel like you can criticize that movie despite not being a director?

IT =/= a movie director. Answer the question

Edited by Zephyr Charge, 18 August 2013 - 10:08 PM.


#465 Kattspya

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostNoesis, on 18 August 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:


I have worked in the past as a project manager in the IT industry with the implementation of multi-million pound projects including both software and hardware whilst managing numerous interests that support that process. This with note worthy clients like McDonalds, International law firms, British NHS and Council organisations and the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe.

Whilst maybe not the gaming industry I think I might have some insight into the management of IT projects.

None of this suggests that I understand or have any exceptional insight into the actual details going on with PGI/IGP.

How many of your employer's projects have been within 200% of budget in time and money? And did they meet any part of the spec? NHS lol

#466 Oderint dum Metuant

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostBrotherEJ, on 18 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

If you don't think PGI is communicating well then head on over to Ghost Recon Online. People are so confused about the upcoming patch over there its getting funny. PGI is taking this franchise from none to some. Be grateful you {Noble MechWarriors} can play, but remember there are more folks like me, who never played until now. I for one think its the best F2P game at the moment. They have done a very good job. If you don't like the direction they are going with the game, then leave and take your 5k players with you, 10k will replace you if they haven't already.


Doubling the playerbase, is not within the games grasp.

#467 Sprouticus

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 August 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:


Doubling the playerbase, is not within the games grasp.



This assumes there are only 10k players. Which frankly is just silly. It would imply that every single person who plays the game bought a Sarah mech. I would be shocked if 50% of the players bought in....and I would NOT be shocked if the number was 25%.

#468 Oderint dum Metuant

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

View PostSprouticus, on 19 August 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:



This assumes there are only 10k players. Which frankly is just silly. It would imply that every single person who plays the game bought a Sarah mech. I would be shocked if 50% of the players bought in....and I would NOT be shocked if the number was 25%.


Perhaps i should have clarified active player base.
There are players who haven't played in a few months, that brought Sarah's Jenner because i was a good move for a good cause.

Heck i've read posts on reddit and places, where people who had never played the game brought the thing, because it was a charity close to their heart.

Why is this the only F2P game (or very close to it) that has no player counter, that tells the player how many people the matchmaker is working with.

Why is the Pheonix stretch goal designed as an image, rather than as per every other stretch goal offering an active tracker that displays hard numbers.

Is it per chance because the numbers...don't read well?

#469 Zephyr Charge

    Clone

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 19 August 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

Perhaps i should have clarified active player base. There are players who haven't played in a few months, that brought Sarah's Jenner because i was a good move for a good cause. Heck i've read posts on reddit and places, where people who had never played the game brought the thing, because it was a charity close to their heart. Why is this the only F2P game (or very close to it) that has no player counter, that tells the player how many people the matchmaker is working with. Why is the Pheonix stretch goal designed as an image, rather than as per every other stretch goal offering an active tracker that displays hard numbers. Is it per chance because the numbers...don't read well?


Its because theres "no positive reason for [you] to know the numbers" as Ive been told

#470 Oderint dum Metuant

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostZephyr Charge, on 19 August 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:


Its because theres "no positive reason for [you] to know the numbers" as Ive been told


Which is junk, because if they want my money in a crowded free to play market, i want to know that the game is healthy.
Along side the game being fun/balanced.

Telling me they have 1 million accounts is a trick mastered by blizzard, 1 million accounts means nothing to me i want to know how many people are actively playing (logged in less than 30 days ago) and how many are actively playing at the times relevant to me.

When you get failed to finds, it hardly leaves a good impression.
Even a count of current battles being played would be as helpful.

Edited by DV McKenna, 19 August 2013 - 06:49 AM.


#471 BrotherEJ

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Failed finds might be due to your region/time of day, I have only had one or two since the beginning of OB. In fact I rarely wait more then few seconds. Midwest US can always find a game no matter the hour in my experience. I find it hard to believe that there are only 5k active players and they all hate PGI for making a great game. A great game that they are making at break neck speed. Sure it doesn't have all the features we want but I am sure it will. PGI does a great job of communicating changes. Other companies change stuff and you have to just deal with the blindside patching, Ubisoft and Gaijin are good examples of this.

#472 Jakob Knight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 16 August 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

I figured I would respectfully chime in my opinion as a heavy ballistic user.

Since 12V12 has started I have noticed that a higher % of people on my teams now die early, doing little or no damage before they do so. This means that if I survive the initial deaths, I have a larger % of enemies left to deal with, and that puts a strain on already tight ammo supplies.

Like you said, the main disadvantages to ballistics are weight and size, and having to take additional ammo adds more weight and slot usage. But you are incorrect in the AC5 to PPC comparison. An AC5 does 10 damage over 3 seconds, while a PPC does 10 damage over 4 seconds. So an AC5 does 25% more DPS over time, not 200-400% more, and double the shots means double that chance for damage to be spread out.

I think the ballistics in general need a little adjusting: AC2 heat bug fixed, AC5/LBX10 Fire rate increase, AC10 range increase, and actually maybe a slight AC20 nerf (make it a bit heavier)

BUT, most us ballistic users would be happy with a 25% increase to ammo/ton to all ballistics ammo, except maybe machine gun ammo.


I'm sure the energy weapons users would be just as happy with a 25% decrease in heat generation and missile users a 25% increase in ammo/ton to their weapons as well. However, the simple truth is that the reason you are seeing your teammates die quicker is that there is more total firepower available to both sides in a fight now, and so the safety margin for bad piloting has gotten smaller. Mistakes will now cost a team more, so you see people dying faster to being stupid than before. The catch is that the same thing is happening to the other team's bad players, who now face the same situation as yours.

To illustrate, your team has an additional 4 mechs it didn't have before, facing off against a team that also has 4 more mechs than you faced. To the enemy pilot, they see the very same thing you do, and are worrying about the extra 4 mechs facing them that you are. Then the battle begins, and two of their number charge in on ten of your number, taking more combined firepower than they could have faced back in the 8 v 8 days, decimating them. Now, it is 12 vrs 10, and you now can start dropping the hammer, except three of your own mechs decide they are invincible and end up getting hit by all 10 of the other team. Now, it's 9 vrs 10, and you begin to wonder why the Devs didn't give you more ammo to deal with the extra mech the other team has.

Bottom line: both teams are in the same situation, and that situation only differs now from the days of 8 v 8 in the penalty for not playing smart....your mistakes will hurt faster now, but the overall situation and outcome is the same. It only seems different because you see the numbers of enemies in your crosshairs, not the extra mechs to your sides and rear. The amount of ammo you need has not changed, as you are still responsible for the same number of mech kills to bring victory for your team. If every member on your team in an 8 v 8 match gets one kill, you win by 1 mech, and you only need kill one mech personally...if every member on your team in a 12 v 12 match gets one kill, the result and requirement for you is exactly the same.

Lastly, on the AC/5 to PPC issue, the point was that the AC/5 is supposed to do -half- the damage of a PPC, not equal or more. This was always the counter to its almost null heat generation while performing almost identically to the PPC in range and concentrated damage. Ballistic weapons are considerably more effective weapons in MWO, to the point of OP, and so I don't see increasing the ammo as a good move from a game balance perspective in addition to the lack of a need based on the above paragraphs. They are more than fine the way they are.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 19 August 2013 - 08:12 AM.


#473 N0MAD

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostBrotherEJ, on 19 August 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Failed finds might be due to your region/time of day, I have only had one or two since the beginning of OB. In fact I rarely wait more then few seconds. Midwest US can always find a game no matter the hour in my experience. I find it hard to believe that there are only 5k active players and they all hate PGI for making a great game. A great game that they are making at break neck speed. Sure it doesn't have all the features we want but I am sure it will. PGI does a great job of communicating changes. Other companies change stuff and you have to just deal with the blindside patching, Ubisoft and Gaijin are good examples of this.

So why are you using this troll account?. Only goes to show there are nowhere near 1 mil genuine accounts.

#474 Gremlich Johns

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostBrotherEJ, on 19 August 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

I find it hard to believe that there are only 5k active players and they all hate PGI for making a great game. A great game that they are making at break neck speed. Sure it doesn't have all the features we want but I am sure it will. PGI does a great job of communicating changes. Other companies change stuff and you have to just deal with the blindside patching,

The MW:LL team made a better game in less time for nothing other than their time. (some of them are employed by Crytek)

PGI is trying to make a great game. So far, they have mechs.

What does MW:LL have? Battle armors, tanks, artillery VTOLS and aerospace fighters in addition to Clan Mechs.

While they communicate game changes, they stink at communicating fixes to gameplay issues like the AMD/Avast.

#475 Alex Warden

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 19 August 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

The MW:LL team made a better game in less time for nothing other than their time. (some of them are employed by Crytek)

PGI is trying to make a great game. So far, they have mechs.

What does MW:LL have? Battle armors, tanks, artillery VTOLS and aerospace fighters in addition to Clan Mechs.

While they communicate game changes, they stink at communicating fixes to gameplay issues like the AMD/Avast.

well matter of taste iguess...the only thing that i wish MWO had is maps with objectives on them. the gameplay/handling of LL is not really my taste tbh... so no, imho that mod is not better, it´s different. i personally am one of those persons,who would prefere player vehicles to be strictly mechs...if combined forces, then AI driven.

i also hear alot of people say that MW4 MP is so much better than MWO... while i think it´s not... in fact the MP of MW4 was at least the same "highalpha jumpjetting" (lightgauss boating ftw^^) gameplay as we recently witnessed in MWO,if not worse. the only thing that made it more interesting was and is the players, the community, the playerdriven leagues with special rules,weightlimits and weapon restrictions...

if PGI can bring those things INTO the game, handled by the games system, with CW as many dream of it, MWO can still become the best MW multiplayer title ever made. guess we´ll see next summer and talk again^^

Edited by Alex Warden, 19 August 2013 - 07:12 PM.


#476 N0MAD

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostAlex Warden, on 19 August 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

well matter of taste iguess...the only thing that i wish MWO had is maps with objectives on them. the gameplay/handling of LL is not really my taste tbh... so no, imho that mod is not better, it´s different. i personally am one of those persons,who would prefere player vehicles to be strictly mechs...if combined forces, then AI driven.

i also hear alot of people say that MW4 MP is so much better than MWO... while i think it´s not... in fact the MP of MW4 was at least the same "highalpha jumpjetting" (lightgauss boating ftw^^) gameplay as we recently witnessed in MWO,if not worse. the only thing that made it more interesting was and is the players, the community, the playerdriven leagues with special rules,weightlimits and weapon restrictions...

if PGI can bring those things INTO the game, handled by the games system, with CW as many dream of it, MWO can still become the best MW multiplayer title ever made. guess we´ll see next summer and talk again^^

I have to totally agree with you here.
MWLL was in no way to my liking, im not putting it down, the guys put alot into it, but to me it was sub par, each to his own.
But the rest of your comments are spot on.
Im very dubious about CW, but we will see, i want to fight over planets and change the map, CW wont give me that.

#477 IndgoMan

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHinesville georgia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Here is A Question WTH first you increade machine guns to make them worth playing know you decrease them by half and give u ac 5 boost ??? do you guys kno what you doing or are all the complaining pugs clouding your judgment plz figure out what you guys are trying to do here because its getting kinda confusing you basically nerfed machine guns to suck again to the point no one gonna play them now and more ppl going to go for u ac 5 on top all the macro players are going to go woohoo with the decreased chance of jam ;\you guys are doing a great job with the game you just need to stop messing with stuff that is fine no one cared about the 25 % jam rate of u a c 5 they were ocntent now you just made everyone go Woot ac 5 spam time

#478 Biglead

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostWales Grey, on 18 August 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Your disloyalty and thoughtcrime have been noted, citizen. This is going on your permanent record.



/care.

#479 Biglead

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostChronojam, on 17 August 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:


This implies the game has been broken for a year, and that everybody here was negative for a year. That's sorta disingenuous!

[redacted]



You imply that it wasn't? That's why we are part of a "process" and not a finished product. I'll keep sending PGI my feedback and money. You keep being a forum warrior.

P.S. Try to keep it civil so you don't get censored again, kid.

#480 Chronojam

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostBiglead, on 20 August 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

You imply that it wasn't? That's why we are part of a "process" and not a finished product. I'll keep sending PGI my feedback and money. You keep being a forum warrior.

P.S. Try to keep it civil so you don't get censored again, kid.
Look madam, the game had a definite period where it looked great, played great, there were dozens of organized teams, and everybody was optimistic and eager to hear about the coming-soon Community Warfare.

This is isn't conjecture, it's history. If you glance at patch feedback threads these days, you'll notice people are getting more negative every time PGI implements some crazy new mechanic or makes some absurd change that runs counter to their old promises (like the whole "first person players will never need to play with third person users" claim).

Look at older feedback threads, and you can see people were a lot happier and a lot more optimistic. Eight months ago, we saw nowhere near the level of pessimism, cynicism, and disillusionment. You can't honestly try to claim that there's been a year of negativity because it's fairly trivial for anybody to check the old threads and see you are a liar. Stop telling lies. I get that you have the whole bad-boy thing going on with messy gothy fonts and skulls and that ancient middle finger made from fire from the early 90s, but just stop being a liar alright?

Edited by Chronojam, 20 August 2013 - 10:53 AM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users