Blackjack Champion!

58 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

With 4 energy and 2 ballistic hardpoints, this champion Mech packs a huge punch with a 10% XP bonus!

Blaze in the Blackjack which comes pre-loaded with tons of Mech-blasting goodness, including an AC/20 and 3 medium lasers!

You'll be glad to have one jumpjet when you're just a little bit too short to get over that hill. A small tactical advantage can be all it takes to turn the tide of war.

Don't worry about peripherals, this Champion mech comes with 4 tons of AC/20 ammo and 10 heatsinks to keep your cockpit cool.

An XL Engine 235 means you'll be raging around the Inner Sphere with at 84.6 kph, and with a 10% XP bonus you'll be grabbing that speed tweak and running at 93.1 kph in no time!

Maneuverable, manageable, powerful. Especially useful in a coordinated team. The perfect Mech to round-off your lance.

#2 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I thought this was already released?

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 14 November 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

I thought this was already released?

Yeah, wasn't this in the last patch?

#4 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

They have been dropping like flies anyway as people have been trying to straight up brawl in them.

#5 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

It was released to use as a trial mech, now it's available to purchase?

#6 Azakael

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostZeriniel, on 14 November 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

It was released to use as a trial mech, now it's available to purchase?

I believe that is the case, yes.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

My BlackJack is soooo black, that even the white bits are black.

#8 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

And of course the BJ-1 champion is the second rate version. IE the one that overheats easily, doesn't have enough AC20 ammo, is short on jumpjets and will probably get most of the people who pilot it killed.

Stop exacerbating the "More guns = more damage" mentality, PGI. This mech can only handle/needs 2ML, and needs all the vertical thrust it can get! Survival = longer life = more chances to deal damage = better contribution to the team effort. Plus, I run out of AC20 ammo with 5 tons just about every time I play my BJ-1. Only having 4 is a problem, and swapping that ton with another ML will only make this sucker overheat constantly.

I eat 3ML BJ1s like they're ******* candy.

#9 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 14 November 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

And of course the BJ-1 champion is the second rate version. IE the one that overheats easily, doesn't have enough AC20 ammo, is short on jumpjets and will probably get most of the people who pilot it killed.

Stop exacerbating the "More guns = more damage" mentality, PGI. This mech can only handle/needs 2ML, and needs all the vertical thrust it can get! Survival = longer life = more chances to deal damage = better contribution to the team effort. Plus, I run out of AC20 ammo with 5 tons just about every time I play my BJ-1. Only having 4 is a problem, and swapping that ton with another ML will only make this sucker overheat constantly.

I eat 3ML BJ1s like they're ******* candy.

[color=cyan]And yet it was a highly requested, highly used, statistically viable loadout that people enjoy.

But who cares what they want, right? :wub:[/color]

#10 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Someone always gripes about whatever is released. There is also someone who can do it better, no matter what(sarcasm). I actually have seen this loadout on the forums a few times and it is usually praised as being potent for a blackjack.

I dont buy champion mechs as I dont value the xp bonus, but I know plenty do and they are very important anyway to keep producing for each chassis to be used for the trial mechs.

#11 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

It's the only viable load-out for a Blackjack with ballistic slots these days. I USED to run a guass/4ML build that was a mobile poptart but the guass change really screwed the build over because it was too fiddly to use at long range to snipe without return fire (which BJ's melt under) or too hot because to get any clear shots meant brawling with it.

This build is just the evolution and ONLY useful build for the masses. But that it was requested? Doubt it, more like asked to be copied from the community due to it's increased resurgence... after-all we won't be seeing a hero BJ for awhile.

#12 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 14 November 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

[color=cyan]And yet it was a highly requested, highly used, statistically viable loadout that people enjoy.[/color]

But who cares what they want, right? :wub:

I'm with TFS up there; the BJ-1 runs way better with only 2 mlas, max jj's, and a 225xl.

I mean, it is still a good trial mech for the current meta, but jump jets uber alles. Just sayin' :wacko:

Edited by Warrax the Chaos Warrior, 14 November 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#13 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

[color=cyan]And yet it was a highly requested, highly used, statistically viable loadout that people enjoy.[/color]

hey garth, can i get it so i can make my words different colors too?

Edited by dal10, 14 November 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#14 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostWarrax the Chaos Warrior, on 14 November 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I'm with TFS up there; the BJ-1 runs way better with only 2 mlas, max jj's, and a 225xl.

I mean, it is still a good trial mech for the current meta, but jump jets uber alles. Just sayin' :wacko:

I dunno. I was running this build (almost, at least... mine has 2 JJ) since the BJ was released, and it's my best BJ by a longshot in terms of K/D and W/L. For me, at least, the numbers speak for the viability of this build. Though I would find a way to squeeze that 2nd JJ on there :wub:

#15 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postdal10, on 14 November 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

h[color=#00FFFF]e[/color]y g[color=#00FFFF]a[/color]rth, ca[color=#00FFFF]n[/color] i g[color=#00FFFF]e[/color]t it s[color=#00FFFF]o[/color] i c[color=#00FFFF]a[/color][color=#00FFFF]n[/color] m[color=#00FFFF]a[/color]k[color=#00FFFF]e[/color] my w[color=#00FFFF]o[/color]rds diff[color=#00FFFF]e[/color]r[color=#00FFFF]e[/color][color=#00FFFF]n[/color]t c[color=#00FFFF]o[/color]l[color=#00FFFF]o[/color]rs t[color=#00FFFF]o[/color][color=#00FFFF]o[/color]?

Nope.

Edited by WVAnonymous, 14 November 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

I've got my Blackjacks already, but if you want a shortcut in, champion mechs are a decent way to skip the grind for getting certain XL engines, pre-upgrading to DHS, etc.

This rig is good in urban areas.

Personally my own BJ-1 runs twin UAC/5s and an XL 180 engine with a few tons of ammo and a couple of spare SLs. Good range, good accuracy, and the jam tells you when it's time to pop behind cover. Makes a terrifying mech.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's pretty good when you can stand toe to toe with Atlases and rip them to shreds.
Posted Image

Blackjack BJ-1, Koniving.
Shots by Lordred.

Edited by Koniving, 14 November 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

TBH, I dislike the layout of the loadout (would trade 1 ton of ammo for 1 more JJs and more DHS for the meds for sustainable fire).

My version:
BJ-1(C)

Otherwise, the Champion build is OK, except I know what the legs are loaded with ammo for potential fireworks.

Edited by Deathlike, 14 November 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#18 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 14 November 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Nope.

what in the world happened to my quote...

#19 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

[color=cyan]And yet it was a highly requested, highly used, statistically viable loadout that people enjoy.

But who cares what they want, right? :wub:[/color]

While your point about requests is valid, and while the 3ml fan certainly make dents, I have yet to see one outperform the 2ml version. If you want to talk statistics, compare the top damages and averages between the builds, not just the standalone. Enjoy the profits drawn from player ineptitude and heavyweight meta. The game is sure to continue benefiting from it in terms of gameplay and balance, as it so clearly has been.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Postdal10, on 14 November 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

what in the world happened to my quote...

Garth's colors infected it.

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 14 November 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

While your point about requests is valid, and while the 3ml fan certainly make dents, I have yet to see one outperform the 2ml version. If you want to talk statistics, compare the top damages and averages between the builds, not just the standalone. Enjoy the profits drawn from player ineptitude and heavyweight meta. The game is sure to continue benefiting from it in terms of gameplay and balance, as it so clearly has been.

Have you considered simply removing the extra ML and swapping it for a DHS? That's what people tend to do. The mech's sold with 3, you swap it out. The trial comes with 3. So let them run that and learn from the experience of before and after. The mech's made. Bit late to whine about it.

Enjoy the free kills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users